Merry-Melee-Corinth why are cards such as Subtle and Frost Wizard even allowed in this mode to begin with

• I love this format. And it involves more skill than people thinks (for a casual rng format). Choosing between card quality and tempo, there is a lot of sequencing involved in some cases. I lost to powerful stuff and its ok, just as in limited. Got my sleeve, I'll keep playing. Every game is different and thats just great.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Just gonna throw my two cents in here. I only play PVE normally. I think I have played less than 50 pvp matches over the life of the game and I've been around since alpha. I am enjoying this format and will continue to play it as long as it's available. Great casual format. 2 thumbs up HXE. Not sure what that's worth but there's my perspective. Now back to the topic at hand. I don't necessarily think they need to ban any cards because the luck of the RNG is part of format. If you are lucky enough to get that auto-win card, congrats! I also wouldn't care if they did ban certain cards, though because I understand that it is extremely feel bad for a lot of players and losing those cards would not make the format any less enjoyable.
    • Yasi wrote:

you needa turn 1 blood shard for the incubate, geist, cheap shot, etc... I saw you play wild turn 1 and that's like...pack raptor only.
      Even having to think about stuff like this ruins the entire point of the format in my mind. It's supposed to be random wacky fun, not the deathly cauldron of tactical prowess. Choosing random thresholds is part of the fun! I would love to play this with my friends (or random people), but I'm not touching it with a plat fee. Oh what bliss it is having let go of the cosmetic stuff. :)
    • Everbody can play as they want. But for me casual is not the same as "pure random". For me the process of thinking and solving a match on the go is actually fun and I enjoy it.

But even with the 100pl and the prizes, once I've chosen Inferno over Monsuun once because lets gamble! Of course i lost because of that, but cant complain. It was fun :)
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Ertzi wrote:

Yasi wrote:

you needa turn 1 blood shard for the incubate, geist, cheap shot, etc... I saw you play wild turn 1 and that's like...pack raptor only.
      Even having to think about stuff like this ruins the entire point of the format in my mind. It's supposed to be random wacky fun, not the deathly cauldron of tactical prowess. Choosing random thresholds is part of the fun! I would love to play this with my friends (or random people), but I'm not touching it with a plat fee. Oh what bliss it is having let go of the cosmetic stuff. :)
      Isn't that the cool thing about the format though?
      Nobody is forcing you to think about anything - you can just pray to RNGesus and enjoy the bombs you get.
      But you can also try to cheat RNG and do anything to get a little edge and also enjoy yourself while doing so.
    • Yasi wrote:

i chronic madness you t2, t3, t4
      Is there even a reason to bury your opponent if you haven't given them eggs? They don't draw anyway, so it's not a win condition.

Also, I noticed something that might be a bug, asked NOBLERoostasaur to check wit the team. I got Lorenzo the Wyrmsinger down and used the charge power, but it only fired once.
    • With the massive number of cards in the game I wouldn't want to see any banned. The odds of seeing these cards are low, and when you do, that is part of the fun, getting so lucky that you shut things down early on. I feel like this mode is a lovely mix of strategy and luck. Even if the luck side is heavy, having to make 2 strategic choices every round(shard and card), as well as all the choices of which card(s) to play, what to attack and block with, etc is great fun, as well as actually strategic.

I actually got frost wizard in a game, and it was hit by 2 -1 defense thing(bride of the damned, and kog'tepetl's thirst) before its power could come into play, and was thus shut out for the rest of the game.

Having played through 3 gauntlets(4-3, 1-3, and 5-1 if I remember correctly) I've seen many different scenarios, and it's never felt like my opponent always gets great things. Of course I understand people feeling bad when they lose for reasons outside of their control, but to me this mode is very much about adaptability...even if it means adapting your brain to accept that sometimes your fate is out of your hands. That's fun, right? :D

Edit: Forgot to mention I love that you can get non-standard resources. I had at least one round where those were my only choices. And it lets you dream that it will happen to your opponent, heehee.
    • Eternal Drifter is an interesting one since it gets a random pve champion/mercenary powers so one time it got hogarths powers and another it got the sugarpuss mercenary.

I overall really like the direction of modes like this, but i do feel that there is some pruning of the card list to not make it less rng but just make it more interactive and engaging.
    • Plotynus wrote:

Subtle striker and frost wizard are now banned. You guys can complain about something else now :)
      Sure! I nominate Drowned Shrine for the next card to be looked at. It actively undermines this format's mechanics, extends the length of the game to an absurd degree to unfun levels, and since you cant strategize around it; it turns the game into a pure RNG contest (more so than it already is) over skill.

I've won and lost when playing against it, but at this point i'd rather simply concede if it gets played now. Nothing kills my enjoyment more than spending/wasting nearly the full game clock slugging it out one card per turn at a time. It feels like just a griefing card now.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Erukk ().

• Erukk wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

Subtle striker and frost wizard are now banned. You guys can complain about something else now :)
      Sure! I nominate Drowned Shrine for the next card to be looked at. It actively undermines this format's mechanics, extends the length of the game to an absurd degree to unfun levels, and since you cant strategize around it; it turns the game into a pure RNG contest (more so than it already is) over skill.
      I've won and lost when playing against it, but at this point i'd rather simply concede if it gets played now. Nothing kills my enjoyment more than spending/wasting nearly the full game clock slugging it out one card per turn at a time. It feels like just a griefing card now.
      Empowered Madness of the Mountain God is also an ugly card to fight against. It hurts the player who played it more first since they have to discard down to 1 card after getting 4, but at least gets an 8/8 on the board.
      There was a signature here. It's gone now.
    • Here is the thing i actually really really enjoy the format. What i hate is that i have to play for a prize at a cost. If i was playing this for free with no prizes i would laugh my ass off when my opponent turn 2 subtle strikers me. But when i just lose value to absurd rng it is the worst experience.

You took the most fun mode in hex in my opinion and you made it terrible by adding a incentive to win and a punishment to lose. It also sucks i can't play it with friends which is awesome because then you can shit talk when stupid stuff happens as well.

TL:DR mode is awesome gauntlet is pure trash. I got my sleeve i am out.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Being on the wrong side of 50% win-rate in this format hurts a lot more than it is fun.

"It's only 100 plat"
      Yes, but for this guy that just lost 2 events 2-3, received nothing, and got beat by opponents that were able to have far superior RNG, losing 200 plat, for 3 hours of gameplay, and getting nothing else feels bad.

There are reasons, outside of catering to casuals that have no idea about HEX (Which this would have been a perfect mode for), to not have this tied to an entry-fee based competitive format. Anyone with bad luck should not be driven away from the mode, or feel like they are losing EV for paying for it.

Outside of that, fun times. I'd have far more fun at my expense, seeing the cool stuff other people got, and being a happy loser, if plat was not tied to this.

So is life... Thanks for the mode.
      I'll look forward to May 7th to see what happens then.
      Until then, I won't trust Kismet :)
      Finally someone who understands , for 100 plat i can play something else and in less games get better rewards than this, the mode should be away cheaper or even free after all the rewards are not even that good , 5 wins just for 1 pack and 1 random rare its so bad compared to any other mode