Merry-Melee-Corinth why are cards such as Subtle and Frost Wizard even allowed in this mode to begin with

• Merry-Melee-Corinth why are cards such as Subtle and Frost Wizard even allowed in this mode to begin with

So i just played 2 games for this mode , the first game i did , i won with Emperor Nox + a flying troop combo , it was insane but nothing that could be stopped i felt that my opp chose pretty bad shards to begin with , then i enter second game , and my opp got Subtle Striker turn 2 , so pretty much i lost because i couldn't do nothing until the rest of the game.

For some reason the card is banned in pve , cause poor bots it must suck not being able to play their obligatory charge power , the theory behind this card being allowed is that :"in imortal all pvp cards except Lazgar's Vengeance are allowed and since this mode copys the same format as imortal every card is okay here" the difference people are not seeing is that majority of decks don't need the charge power that much , normally its just an extra for an archetype you have , but in this mode not using charge power means you just can't play until the rest of the game , the experience was horrible and i don't even want to play it anymore for a test mode i felt that i was scamed 100p (wich is nothing for me , but i feel bad for any new player who loses 100p without having a chance to even play the game).

I haven't played against Frost Wizard but a fellow hex player told me , that card is also insane here and pretty much impossible to counter unleass you got removal for it.

Another thing before i am done , why there is a "Constrcuted Ranked Play" icon on a test mode ? i won 1 game and lost 1 game and i lost 2 ranks from the constrcuted ladder (i am not sure if its because of this mode or 2 players pass me in that time) , this mode should also be free since is a testing mode , and it should have its own Banlist , outside of imortal and standard list.

With best Regards,
      Tribopower
    • They said they have all done to be able to ban cards if they wanted, but they wanted to see how it unfolds when we play before doing anything. With such a large card pool and the random factor included, the chances of seeing those cards are very low.

I'll tell you my experience. Opponent played Drowned Shrine of Ulthar. And it was a pain in the ass for both of us, but it forced me to look for ways to play around it or deal with it and it wasn't that bad. I ended up getting a Chomposaur that he played earlier two or three turns later.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

They said they have all done to be able to ban cards if they wanted, but they wanted to see how it unfolds when we play before doing anything. With such a large card pool and the random factor included, the chances of seeing those cards are very low.

I'll tell you my experience. Opponent played Drowned Shrine of Ulthar. And it was a pain in the ass for both of us, but it forced me to look for ways to play around it or deal with it and it wasn't that bad. I ended up getting a Chomposaur that he played earlier two or three turns later.
      Drowned Shrine of Ulthar seems very op here , but at least lets you play something , subtle is an automatic lose turn 2 , thats away different
    • tribopower wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

They said they have all done to be able to ban cards if they wanted, but they wanted to see how it unfolds when we play before doing anything. With such a large card pool and the random factor included, the chances of seeing those cards are very low.

Drowned Shrine of Ulthar seems very op here , but at least lets you play something , subtle is an automatic lose turn 2 , thats away different
      That's true. Subtle should be banned just because of that, but Frost Wizard or other potential cards, as long as you have ways to deal with them... let it play and see what happens.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • KozHex wrote:

Yep, just got hit with a second turn Frost Wizard. I couldn't draw a single piece of removal despite limiting my shards to Blood and Ruby. Auto loss without my opponent having to do a single thing other than sit there. Super fun
      Hah and then i guess you got the karma because you got the subtle striker off of my hustler and i couldnt play a single other card...
      I have lost against a turn 2 zorath rectory which wasnt fun but at leas ti had time to try and remove it, there has to be a patch to remove striker it just takes a fun idea and turns it into a bunch of feels bad moments.
    • Eh, this mode isn't very good anyway imo. Total RNG fest with very little skill. There are very few games that come down to careful play, most of the time it's just whoever RNG's into the first unanswerable threat runs away with the game.

It sounded a lot more fun than it actually ended up being imo. Cool sleeve though
    • 2 out of my 5 first wins were people losing to time. I don't know what to think about it. They were 7-10min down. Is it new players? Players that only ever played PvE up to now? Players so new that they don't know what the cards do and have to read everything that isn't Standard legal?
    • KozHex wrote:

Eh, this mode isn't very good anyway imo. Total RNG fest with very little skill. There are very few games that come down to careful play, most of the time it's just whoever RNG's into the first unanswerable threat runs away with the game.

It sounded a lot more fun than it actually ended up being imo. Cool sleeve though
      I feel like the people who had no issue with the 100 plat entry fee, really didn't understand the format.
    • went 5-2, 5-2, 4-3, 3-3 so far. my early matches i was trying to figure out what shards i should play etc. i think i got a good strategy which is to;

blood t1
      diamond or blood or wild t2 (shard priority diamond>blood>wild)
      blood or diamond or wild t3 (same)
      get all the blood, diamond, and wilds.

i try not to get ruby or sapphire cuz their cards are too reliant on other cards (from experience). early 1 or 2 drop is also really good to tempo your opponent out of the game.
    • KozHex wrote:

Eh, this mode isn't very good anyway imo. Total RNG fest with very little skill. There are very few games that come down to careful play, most of the time it's just whoever RNG's into the first unanswerable threat runs away with the game.

I haven't had time to play in a while, but it seems to me that the skill ceiling is higher than you'd expect for an obvious RNGfest. There are definitely strategies you can employ to improve your win rate. I've gotten a 5/1 and a 5/0 by prioritizing certain shards early, focusing on things I can play immediately, and taking advantage of the knowledge you'll likely see the same card 2-3 times in a match. And rarely choosing the shiny legendary. ;)

It's fun. It's not serious. And it's a great way to play bite size chunks of the game without having to do any preparation and spend tons of time. :)
      Hex: Shards of Fate KS | Producer | Bounty of the Magus Highlands Magus

"Hoarded or shared, knowledge is the most fearsome weapon of all."
      "The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
      "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
      "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."
    • Being on the wrong side of 50% win-rate in this format hurts a lot more than it is fun.

"It's only 100 plat"
      Yes, but for this guy that just lost 2 events 2-3, received nothing, and got beat by opponents that were able to have far superior RNG, losing 200 plat, for 3 hours of gameplay, and getting nothing else feels bad.

There are reasons, outside of catering to casuals that have no idea about HEX (Which this would have been a perfect mode for), to not have this tied to an entry-fee based competitive format. Anyone with bad luck should not be driven away from the mode, or feel like they are losing EV for paying for it.

Outside of that, fun times. I'd have far more fun at my expense, seeing the cool stuff other people got, and being a happy loser, if plat was not tied to this.

So is life... Thanks for the mode.
      I'll look forward to May 7th to see what happens then.
      Until then, I won't trust Kismet :)
    • Colin wrote:

KozHex wrote:

I haven't had time to play in a while, but it seems to me that the skill ceiling is higher than you'd expect for an obvious RNGfest. There are definitely strategies you can employ to improve your win rate. I've gotten a 5/1 and a 5/0 by prioritizing certain shards early, focusing on things I can play immediately, and taking advantage of the knowledge you'll likely see the same card 2-3 times in a match. And rarely choosing the shiny legendary. ;)
      It's fun. It's not serious. And it's a great way to play bite size chunks of the game without having to do any preparation and spend tons of time. :)
      Oh, for sure, I do the same thing, it's just that I've seen so many games come down to a ridiculous card that couldn't be answered. I Pack Raptored Yasi into the ground and it wasn't even fun. It was just pretty much impossible for him to deal with it to the point it wasn't even a game.

In another game I got hit by a third turn Tibunal Magistrate and never drew into a card that could remove it. Just ran away with the game with really nothing I could do.

I get what you're saying, and you do have some control, but if one player is drawing nothing but draft chaff while the other is drawing power cards, no amount of careful play is going to make a difference.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool they did this, and I'd love to see more game modes like this overall, but now that I have the sleeve, I'm done with this one I think. Just too much RNG
    • KozHex wrote:

Oh, for sure, I do the same thing, it's just that I've seen so many games come down to a ridiculous card that couldn't be answered. I Pack Raptored Yasi into the ground and it wasn't even fun.
      look at it from my perspective - i chronic madness you t2, t3, t4 and your only answer was pack raptor. so you would have been on the receiving end if not for pack raptor. it's in the same vein as limited bombs so it's all good to me.