Friday Update - Building Blocks

• The adjusted bash/clash are substantially more palatable to me from top to bottom. Significantly less time commitment is a huge pressure release and the double whammy of potentially sinking an entire day of time in and walking away with nothing to show for it was a huge downer. Personally the entry cost is inconsequential to me compared to wanting time + potential to get something for that time being of greater weight.

I had completely written off these events after my first experience with them and had sworn them off, but this is enough of a shift that I'll genuinely have a gander again.
    • Both the change in tournament duration/format and the change in prize are good things. I don't, for a moment, believe that the latter was made due to bureaucracy delaying payments. HXE was losing money in these tournaments. They were showing a healthy economic image that was not reflective of reality.

I should know a thing or two about that. I'm greek, after all.

Glad to see HXE finally accepting the fact that they are not a big game and starting to live in proportion to that. If I might suggest, perhaps they could sell to a bigger company that has the resources to spend more on the game? Or find investors/shareholders. Hex doesn't have to be limited by HXE. No offence, but the game is being held back. You can tell by the fact that every criticism starts with "I absolutely love the game, Hex is the best card game I've layed, but...". I'd rather see it under corporate unfamiliar faces than see it wither.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vroengard ().

• This is an awesome change. I haven't been able to play in a tournament in months due to the amount of time you have to set aside. To the point that I never even bothered to check if tournaments were going on anymore.

Hell, one of the few i was able to play in that I ended up in 2nd I asked for plat anyway to avoid delays and another thing for my ridiculously complicated taxes.
    • Given the fundamental change, wouldn't it be better to use a new name for these events? Reserve Clash/Bash for any future big, top8 tournaments and choose a new name for this new, VIP-esque format.

Also, given how similar they are to VIP tournaments, this would be a good time to rethink VIP tournaments. They just seem redundant now.
    • Thesw tournaments being shorter in duration means I might actually attend one at some point

The shift to plat doesn't bother me, but hopefully it means all is still ok financially.

Anyway, more importantly, @HEXCoryJones I miss the update updates! (Unless I've literally missed them these last few weeks and they are hidden away somewhere??)
    • Those changes unfortunately make me lose almost all desire to play Hex in the near future. :( I don't really mind moving away from Cash Payouts too much, even though I enjoyed being able to win real world money a lot. What really gets me is, that there aren't any truly competitive limited Tournaments left now. Playing 4 rounds and being done, whatever the result just doesn't appeal to me, I like to have a clear winner at the end of the tournament and would've been all in favor of even adding a 3rd place match to Top 8. I know it's better for most people because they don't have to put aside large chunks of time to play in an 8-hour tournament, it's just not for me. We still have the Fiveshards Weekly Tournaments to fill that role in Constructed, but nothing of that sort for limited. My personal preference is Swiss into Top8 > Single Elimination > Swiss with fixed Rounds, so I don't really see myself playing those tournaments in the near future. I still think it's for the best of the game and hope you guys enjoy the shorter tournaments.

TLDR: Good decision for the game, bad decision for me personally. Very sad Panda. Please give competitive limited tournament!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vazrael ().

• Vazrael wrote:

Those changes unfortunately make me lose almost all desire to play Hex in the near future. :( I don't really mind moving away from Cash Payouts too much, even though I enjoyed being able to win real world money a lot. What really gets me is, that there aren't any truly competitive limited Tournaments left now. Playing 4 rounds and being done, whatever the result just doesn't appeal to me, I like to have a clear winner at the end of the tournament and would've been all in favor of even adding a 3rd place match to Top 8. I know it's better for most people because they don't have to put aside large chunks of time to play in an 8-hour tournament, it's just not for me. We still have the Fiveshards Weekly Tournaments to fill that role in Constructed, but nothing of that sort for limited. My personal preference is Swiss into Top8 > Single Elimination > Swiss with fixed Rounds, so I don't really see myself playing those tournaments in the near future. I still think it's for the best of the game and hope you guys enjoy the shorter tournaments.

TLDR: Good decision for the game, bad decision for me personally. Very sad Panda.
      That is something I didn't consider. Interesting point. Maybe move Singles Night to Merry Melee and get another limited tournament going?
    • Assuming 16 players enter Bash:

Entry Cost = 11200 plat
      Plat paid: 16*700=11200.

Rewards = 25600 plat + AAAs + Battleboards + Sleeves
      4-0: 1 -> 10000 plat.
      3-1: 4 -> 4 x 12 (x200) 9600 plat.
      2-2: 6 -> 6 x 5 (x200) 6000 plat.
      1-3: 4
      0-4: 1

Pretty damn good value if I did the math right.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bootlace: Edit: Fixed math. ().

• This is a truly great change.

Its very rare that HXE makes a couple substantial changes simultaneously out-of-mostly-nowhere I and have absolutely 0 split feelings on the matter.

I absolutely love this latest set and limited, and was getting pretty bummed that queues were getting really long and the player numbers / economy wasn't looking too healthy.

I really hope this gives the game a shot in the arm, because from my perspective Hex has never been on a more solid streak with as much promise... If only we could rewind this to 3 years ago. =P
    • Vroengard wrote:

Both the change in tournament duration/format and the change in prize are good things. I don't, for a moment, believe that the latter was made due to bureaucracy delaying payments. HXE was losing money in these tournaments. They were showing a healthy economic image that was not reflective of reality.

Glad to see HXE finally accepting the fact that they are not a big game and starting to live in proportion to that. If I might suggest, perhaps they could sell to a bigger company that has the resources to spend more on the game? Or find investors/shareholders. Hex doesn't have to be limited by HXE. No offence, but the game is being held back. You can tell by the fact that every criticism starts with "I absolutely love the game, Hex is the best card game I've layed, but...". I'd rather see it under corporate unfamiliar faces than see it wither.

I stared at this post a while trying to decided whether or not to like it... which is a pretty dumb way to spend time. It reminded me of when I hoped the original Gameforge publisher announcement was actually HXE being acquired by a company large enough to actually realize the goals and vision. But it still feels mean somehow to say it out loud.

Also to the #HexIsDead super high-end competitive players: I really wish the game was big enough that people watched your finals by the thousands and the payouts were huge (although you might not be at the top of a game that big), but it is ludicrous for HXE to pay the same 20-50ish people thousands of dollars to benefit the overall health of the game minimally and arguably hurt it in some ways. I totally want Hex to pay the rent of some streamers and pros, but first the game has to grow in a major way... so, get out of the way and be happy about it pls? <3
    • Dekroma wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Both the change in tournament duration/format and the change in prize are good things. I don't, for a moment, believe that the latter was made due to bureaucracy delaying payments. HXE was losing money in these tournaments. They were showing a healthy economic image that was not reflective of reality.

Also to the #HexIsDead super high-end competitive players: I really wish the game was big enough that people watched your finals by the thousands and the payouts were huge (although you might not be at the top of a game that big), but it is ludicrous for HXE to pay the same 20-50ish people thousands of dollars to benefit the overall health of the game minimally and arguably hurt it in some ways. I totally want Hex to pay the rent of some streamers and pros, but first the game has to grow in a major way... so, get out of the way and be happy about it pls? <3
      I can only like a post once - so here is a post as well. +1
      Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
      I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
      Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
    • @Dekroma I wasn't trolling or anything with that post you quote. I really mean it. It's the surest way for money to pour into Hex, unless Cory wins the national lottery.

Dekroma wrote:

but first the game has to grow in a major way
      It can't grow by driving away top end players. This is a huge turn to a casual model.

I remember once upon a time, Hex was supposed to become an E-Sport.

Also, something interesting

The HEX team- wrote:

Finally, for those anxiously waiting for upcoming HEX features, we want to stress that the Shards Deckbuilder has not taken anything away from those projects.

and then

The HEX team, presumably, article is not signed wrote:

Starting today, NOBLELixil will be moving over to help out our friends at 80Arcade full time.

So, since the second quote obviously contradicts the first one, discrediting it completely, I wonder what else the "totally unrelated, totally not gonna take our resources" Shards the Deckbuilder received from HXE.