how to split a draft

• how to split a draft

Hi,

as a player who usually plays the limited format after he reached cosmic on the constructed ladder I occasionally run into the situation where I won two times in the Draft Gauntlet and want to split.
      Let's not make this a thread about the reasons why anybody would want to split or about what should be done to faciliate this ("Price Split Button" Thread, I look at you), but about the terms on which the split should / could / will happen.

Usually when a player wants to split the draft, he*she posts on the in game chat something like "draft 2-0 wanna split". And usually there is somebody else who is in the same mood and agrees and both enter the matchmaking queue to get paired.

This discussion starts at this point:

The way the system currently works is that one of the two players concedes, the other one gets 6 packs instead of 2, sends 2 by mail and both players are happy with 4 packs each and (hopefully) join the new Draft queue right away.
      Since winning a match gives more account xp, ladder points and (due to 6 over 2 packs created) an increased Primal chance, the conceding player is at a disadvantage.

How would you compensate for this disadvantage?

There are some options I experienced while negotiating a split:

1. Whoever asks in chat for a split asks for a favor, the other person grants it and no compensation should be given. (Sometimes not even the 2 packs; yes, I met that guy.)
      2. It's impossible to properly calculate the rewards for gaining account xp and ladder stars, but the plat value of the additional Primal pack proc is about 4 x 2% of 1600 plat = 128 plat. The conceding player should get half of it, that's 64 plat.
      3. Let's put the math aside and just split 5-3 instead of 4-4, the conceding player gets 3 packs sent instead of 2
      4. We play the first of the two or three games and whoever loses that has to concede.
      5. Whoever wins the coin flip gets the win.

That's the five big options. Correct me if there are more.

Part of the intention of this post is to stress the fact that just splitting 4-4 is not enough imo and especially new players should not be given the impression that's the way it works. Secondly I want to avoid lengthy discussions in the chat on the terms of the imminent split, because part of the reason I am keen to splits is the notion "Draft Hype!!1! 6/8" in chat and I wanna draft right away, not wait for another hour after winning or losing my last match.

That's all, thanks for reading.
    • My opinion.

The XP and ladder rank should not be compensated, as asking to split is giving up that small part.

As you are already trusting the winner to send packs, I feel it's better to set some amount of plat to transfer if a primal is created from any of the 8 packs given as it's impossible for the winner to tell if "his" 4 packs triggered it or if it was the two packs he is sending over. Then the discussion is "how much is a primal worth".
    • Asking HXE to do anything about reward splitting in Limited is a moot point.

HXE does not support reward splitting. They TOLERATE it.

Huge difference.

Also, all the three times I splitted since it became a thing, I always check with my opponent where we are on the ladder. One guy was top64 cosmic so I conceded in order to not penalize them with ELO (my idea). The other was close to a new rank so he would be getting rewards, I conceded there too. The third time, I was close to a reward so I asked them to concede. They accepted.

And always offer the "Shall we play for the fun of it?" option.
    • Gwaelan wrote:

(Sometimes not even the 2 packs; yes, I met that guy.)
      Wow.

Yeah I also think the unwritten rule is asker concedes.
      If I would split with a friend and one of us would win the Primal generated by the extra packs, I think having the Primal winner send 500p would be fair.
      But in the normal context i don't think you can really factor that in tbh.
    • As a player who is often asked if they want to split - I can say for sure that I would be GREATLY inceticized to do so if my opponent (asking for split) is conceeding.

I don't particularly like to split, I enjoy playing my decks, and win ratio doesn't really suggest splitting is even in my best interest. After being asked to split I won't say no as everytime I do I just get horrible karmic luck and lose both the match and the split profit.

I def wish more people would just play the last round though. But if you want to split at least have the decency to scoop em up.
    • There are varying degrees of splitting etiquette, because sadly, a split is not just a split, thanks to good ole' Kismet and the Primal Proc chance.
      So, unless HEX plans to implement a "Split Vote", there will still be side-table negotiations on what happens if "X" is achieved, and both players believe their counterpart to be honest.

Some things I've seen:
      • Splitting a Kismet Draft - doesn't matter - no primal proc chance
      • Coin flip winner gets the Win
      • Winner of first game gets the Win
      • Someone wants to preserve ladder rank/or wants to pay for the primal chance - might throw in plat or an extra pack.
      • Primal Pack clauses - this is a new one that I actually tried, and I think it works out in both parties favor - quick pre-agreement on fair value to send the loser if primal is achieved for the player given the win. (extra pack / cards from the primal / plat from sale / etc.)

At the end of the day, trust your opponent, or play it out.
    • I have split a lot of drafts, below are options I have utilized at least few times:
      • We play first game to decide winner of the draft
      • We actually play to 2:X to decide who wins (both want to play and want guaranteed packs)
      • Coinflip decides winner
      • One of the players agrees to concede (easy if you don't care about rating)
      Now to the price distribution which is more tricky:
      • I always start at 4:4 packs
      • For second set in cycle, I prefer loser to get the extra more expensive pack
      • I have often agreed to split primal, usually in form of platinum, but card split is also option
      Overall I liked the less top heavy format that was here before (especially now in trishard environment), that's why I split ;)
    • NicoSharp wrote:

There are varying degrees of splitting etiquette, because sadly, a split is not just a split, thanks to good ole' Kismet and the Primal Proc chance.
      So, unless HEX plans to implement a "Split Vote", there will still be side-table negotiations on what happens if "X" is achieved, and both players believe their counterpart to be honest.

Some things I've seen:
      • Splitting a Kismet Draft - doesn't matter - no primal proc chance
      • Coin flip winner gets the Win
      • Winner of first game gets the Win
      • Someone wants to preserve ladder rank/or wants to pay for the primal chance - might throw in plat or an extra pack.
      • Primal Pack clauses - this is a new one that I actually tried, and I think it works out in both parties favor - quick pre-agreement on fair value to send the loser if primal is achieved for the player given the win. (extra pack / cards from the primal / plat from sale / etc.)

At the end of the day, trust your opponent, or play it out.
      While i disagree with it point 4 and 5 are against the rules.
    • In my personal opinion:

Splitting should be 2 finalist players pairing against each other and agreeing to even the prizes to reduce variance, then playing out the game.

Anything else i would consider account boosting.

Looking up the prizes - the following page is heavily outdated:

hextcg.com/game/tournaments/
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

In my personal opinion:

Splitting should be 2 finalist players pairing against each other and agreeing to even the prizes to reduce variance, then playing out the game.

Where are you getting to that page from? Game>battlegrounds sends me to here instead hextcg.com/tournament-overview/
    • KingGabriel wrote:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

In my personal opinion:

Where are you getting to that page from? Game>battlegrounds sends me to here instead hextcg.com/tournament-overview/
      the same way anybody that isn't too familiar with the main site's structure would look for information about hex, google:

google.com/search?q=hex+tournament+prizes

i do not consider bad SEO a bug, so i won't be opening a ticket for it.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri