Give us a Roadmap for 2018

• Norwind wrote:

We do know they are working on new player experience, with the "helper" icon that was on-screen in Chris' last stream. I just hope it will be less annoying than the good old paper clip :)
      Please leave the "Kitty!" easter egg in. That is all.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • Work smarter, not harder.

All the PvP sets being added only seem to serve to maintain the playerbase and its activity, but not expand it. The added content is nice, but it may be a better idea to look at how to maximise player engagement with new content.

And the first and foremost thing that HXE needs to learn is that offering F2P opportunities to engage with new content is a really, really good idea. The gold sink on Siege, to me, is one of the most crippling mistakes the devs have made. We could've had endless hours of player-generated content to play around with in a fun and enjoyable way where, win or lose, players still get to enjoy themselves and feel rewarded.

Again, look at Gems of War. Their content doesn't come close to even scratching what HEX can do, but they know how to -stretch- that content. And they're only getting better at it. From their 'everyone wins' approach to pseudo-PvP, to the new raids and invasions, which challenge players' deckbuilding capabilities without forcing them to net-deck.

Seriously, keep platinum sieges the way they are, and do the following for Gold sieges:

1) Defenders can only use champions
      2) Attackers can use champions, mercs and player characters.
      3) Attacking or posting sieges is free.
      4) Players get a small amount of gold if their siege is challenged.
      5) Players get some more gold if their siege held up against an attacking player.
      6) Players get gold if they beat a siege.
      7) Allow defenders to set modifiers, such as "Coyotle only" or "You start with three ruby and diamond thresholds. All other colours are disabled" or "Artifacts only" or "Players start with 3 resources" or "Only 5+ cost troops allowed" or "Verdicts are doubled" or "When players gain health, summon an Orchin at the end of their turn".

This would add so much opportunity to play with old content in new ways. To see and share the creativity of other players and make the most of every single individual card in the game. At that point, every set has much higher value, and much higher longevity.

I've played the latest set. I've pretty much exhausted it. But if I could earn gold by playing around with the creativity of other players, I would log back in and play again!

As it is now, I'm just stuck waiting for set11, with no reason whatsoever to ever log in.
    • Glancing through this thread (and watching Chris Wood's streams), I notice a lot of talk about how they are redoin the "new player" experience.
      AGAIN...

I cannot think of a more pointless use of Hex Ent's limited resources and a more dammin example bad priorities.

Most humans from age 8-80 who have the internet connection required to play this game almost surely know the words:

Google
      You Tube
      Twitter

Mere minutes is all it takes to find a crap-ton of useful starter info online.

It ain't rocket science, and seems to show that they think their customers are incapable of coherent thought.
    • Ouroboros wrote:

Glancing through this thread (and watching Chris Wood's streams), I notice a lot of talk about how they are redoin the "new player" experience.
      AGAIN...

I cannot think of a more pointless use of Hex Ent's limited resources and a more dammin example bad priorities.

Most humans from age 8-80 who have the internet connection required to play this game almost surely know the words:

Google
      You Tube
      Twitter

It ain't rocket science, and seems to show that they think their customers are incapable of coherent thought.
      Casual players won't bother to google info about everything, they gonna launch your game and enjoy it or they will go away. You've to give them the best possible experience, or you won't get their money. It's that simple.
    • Ouroboros wrote:

Glancing through this thread (and watching Chris Wood's streams), I notice a lot of talk about how they are redoin the "new player" experience.
      AGAIN...

Google
      You Tube
      Twitter

This is a stupid expectation.

When the average person - myself included - picks up a game, they want to play it. They don't want to RESEARCH it. Research comes AFTER they're having fun.

There's a reason most MMOs don't make the early levels very difficult. Why most early levels in RTS campaigns are easy. Why most RPGs don't put complex puzzles at the start. Hell even Catherine, which is a brutally difficult game, had an easy difficulty and a tutorial stage.

When I START PLAYING I want to be able to get in, have fun, and just enjoy the experience. If a game EXPECTS me to leave the game before I start playing to do internet research in order to enjoy my experience, that is a game that has lost me as a customer. That is not to say I'm not willing to do research, but research comes later. I put literally hundreds of days played into WoW, raiding, min/maxing, researching, developing new builds and strats, etc. I played League semi-competitively for a while, same deal. Hundreds of hours of research and prep. I've read plat tutorials, researched stage layouts for Babel, etc.

But the game has to hook me BEFORE I do that stuff. I do that stuff because the game hooks me, not the other way around.

Google, youtube, and twitter are resources for me to get the most out of games I'm hooked to, they aren't the resources game developers should rely on to help me get hooked.

If you legitimately think more than 0.1% of potential players will do research BEFORE playing a game, you're absolutely and utterly wrong. Hilariously wrong.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • thinking realistic, hex had its shots, multiple times, but they never did hit the big fish.

in game industry you dont get many chances, its mostly hit or miss - and in this case its most likely miss.

hex will either stay a niche game like eve-online (which is a great game and i did enjoy it for a huge amount of time) and this would be fine with me for hex too, or it will die in a slow but steady way (like it feels atm).

i dont see any positive long term trend with anything hexent can do with their limited resources.

and yes this may sound harsh, but its my point of view for this game - and i doubt this will change in the near future.
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Cernz wrote:

thinking realistic, hex had its shots, multiple times, but they never did hit the big fish.

in game industry you dont get many chances, its mostly hit or miss - and in this case its most likely miss.

hex will either stay a niche game like eve-online (which is a great game and i did enjoy it for a huge amount of time) and this would be fine with me for hex too, or it will die in a slow but steady way (like it feels atm).

i dont see any positive long term trend with anything hexent can do with their limited resources.

and yes this may sound harsh, but its my point of view for this game - and i doubt this will change in the near future.

Seems from the waiting time for games it might be true.I put over the last years lots of time and money into hex.Since set 9 I have been playing least I have ever played.
      It's a grind for me to open the game and play it.Corinth mode is fun but since it's close to ending I won't start another gauntlet.Got the sleeves from 2 gauntlets and I'm done with it.Seems Hex ent has stopped listening to it's player base sometimes as they make odd choices and spend their resources on ps4 release and siege no one really asked for

I won't play siege since it costs me gold that I always lack and as I don't have the patience or time to mess with defense as an attacker I will most likely lose gold as the odds are stacked against me.PS4 release didn't seem to decrease the time for finding games in limited.We got no PVE,we have no idea what about future plans or development priorities except siege coins and cosmic coins which is play more or put more money if you want to collect everything.

I got another animated sleeve from corinth format.While it's fun putting it as limited time paid format is a really bad choice.Seems Hex thinks we are all having fun chasing the latest sleeves or battle board or animated card they produce at insane amounts.I got the corinth sleeve from 2 gauntlets and stopped,there will be something else to chase next week and it keeps losing it's value for me.What's the point of another sleeve or battleboard or AA or AAA card if we have so much of them?They lose their value,no pride or joy in having them.It's really hard to even keep track of all the AA cards.

There's the type of games of clicker box,which are the equivalent of Pavlov box meant to cause players to click as much as possible and seems hex is taking this route with all the new tournaments and new cosmic coins stuff.I didn't play Hex for the rewards,I liked to collect all the stuff because it was fun and had possible future value.
      I played because it was fun intelligent and challenging entertainment for me.Not so I get the seasonal chase this and that to take advantage of my collect everything tendencies and play on my fear of missing out.I put more time and money into hex than I would like to admit because I hoped one day we will have MMOTCG game.
      They seemed to have confused chasing more stuff with fun game design.

We don't have PVE or knowledge of it's development,I backed hex in KS for PVE.There's siege I don't like,PS release I don't care for,VIP tournaments that are clashing on the times with the other bash and clash tournaments for time and players.VIP should have canceled or changed long ago.Gold farming with no new PVE content feels like a waste of time.The sets are released every 4 months,sure,but with bugs and set 9 is unpolished and feels not play tested enough.I don't want to play set 9 limited,maybe I'll grind constructed cosmic this season for the sleeves if I can gather enough care for it.I used to play evo and drafts all the time.I just can't stand this format.

I barely open hex those days,I check the forums every day and check Friday updates to see if there's any response from the powers that be in the hex brass and nothing.Absolutely nothing.

I will play test everything and will think of new ideas for stuff,and I'm sure many other play will do the same if it will give us better sets and better game.
      I don't know how long I want to keep seeing questionable design choices in the game and increasing queue times,friends leaving the game and complete uncertainty about the future of the game.Every day lately I wonder if I should uninstall the game.Even if it will do revolutionary things in few months I have no idea and from what I got PVE is not even development priority.

I'll read the forums a bit,check the Friday update to see if anything changes,probably not but one can hope.I won't put any money or much time into it if any if those trends continue.I'll most likely quit it completely in few months and since I'm mostly OCD collector in my gaming personality I won't be coming back for it.I'll get other hobbies and will play other games.

I really want Cory or Dino or anyone else to respond to us or discuss those issues with us even if it's go f**k yourself,you are not getting any PVE ever response.All we seem to get from them is here is new thing to chase in a paid tournament or time based grind.
    • Eraia wrote:

Ouroboros wrote:

AGAIN...

Google
      You Tube
      Twitter

This is a stupid expectation.
      When the average person - myself included - picks up a game, they want to play it. They don't want to RESEARCH it. Research comes AFTER they're having fun.

There's a reason most MMOs don't make the early levels very difficult. Why most early levels in RTS campaigns are easy. Why most RPGs don't put complex puzzles at the start. Hell even Catherine, which is a brutally difficult game, had an easy difficulty and a tutorial stage.

When I START PLAYING I want to be able to get in, have fun, and just enjoy the experience. If a game EXPECTS me to leave the game before I start playing to do internet research in order to enjoy my experience, that is a game that has lost me as a customer. That is not to say I'm not willing to do research, but research comes later. I put literally hundreds of days played into WoW, raiding, min/maxing, researching, developing new builds and strats, etc. I played League semi-competitively for a while, same deal. Hundreds of hours of research and prep. I've read plat tutorials, researched stage layouts for Babel, etc.

But the game has to hook me BEFORE I do that stuff. I do that stuff because the game hooks me, not the other way around.

Google, youtube, and twitter are resources for me to get the most out of games I'm hooked to, they aren't the resources game developers should rely on to help me get hooked.

If you legitimately think more than 0.1% of potential players will do research BEFORE playing a game, you're absolutely and utterly wrong. Hilariously wrong.
      I must be in the minority because I always without exception at the very least look for a you tube video or 2 of game play before I download a game and know a few others that do the same. I aren't sure if reading Steam reviews count as research but I know several online players that will always read a few of those before trying a game out but I do agree generally with what you have stated, expecting players to google stuff before they start playing is a bit of a stretch. With Hex how much of an audience don't they currently have/had would benefit from a better new player experience? Too little too late?

P.S How about that Auction House and Chat?

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheBlackCrypt ().

• TheBlackCrypt wrote:

I must be in the minority because I always without exception at the very least look for a you tube video or 2 of game play before I download a game and know a few others that do the same. I aren't sure if reading Steam reviews count as research but I know several online players that will always read a few of those before trying a game out but I do agree generally with what you have stated, expecting players to google stuff before they start playing is a bit of a stretch. With Hex how much of an audience don't they currently have/had would benefit from a better new player experience? Too little too late?

There's a bit of a difference between reading reviews or looking up a bit of content to see what a game looks like before purchasing it... and being expected to read forums/reddit/etc. to find the 'most efficient way to play'... as you say, it's not so much that I expect people come in COMPLETELY ignorant, but rather that if the game expects the internet to provide the new player experience for them, it's probably going to fail on that...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

TheBlackCrypt wrote:

There's a bit of a difference between reading reviews or looking up a bit of content to see what a game looks like before purchasing it... and being expected to read forums/reddit/etc. to find the 'most efficient way to play'... as you say, it's not so much that I expect people come in COMPLETELY ignorant, but rather that if the game expects the internet to provide the new player experience for them, it's probably going to fail on that...
      Maybe that's why you're

Eraia wrote:

terrible at this game.
      (Joking, obviously)

However there isn't a single game out there without an online guide or wiki or subreddit or walkthrough. Those who are serious about playing the game will seek them out. This isn't the '90s.
    • When i do websites, I know that the span of attention an average user has its less than 30 seconds and I have to design the home or the landing page with that on mind.

For games, I assume the same logic works. There's a short amount of time when a new user decides if he will keep trying the game or not. That's where the focus should be. If the user passes that window, then Vroegard is right and he will surely look for information. But this will be done once he is hooked with the game.
      Twitter: @Plotynus