Pinned Topdeck Radio - Viewer Mail and "Plays of the Week" submission thread

• I modified your formating with my quote so this reply makes more sense. "Hard-hitting questions at Hex Ent" in general are unlikely to work for our show, simply because I'm not a Hex employee and don't have any internal knowledge to properly address those questions in a satisfactory way.

Hard-hitting questions at ME PERSONALLY (Hex related or not) - hell, fire away! That's content I control!

Airtron wrote:

Ok this might be a hard hitting question at hexent,

Why have we not heard anything about these? Were these false promises to calm us down, or perhaps did they scrap it? There are plenty more examples of things like this out there in streams and all that, but those are very very hard to dig for. But the point still stands: there are things out there hexent has told us they done that we have not heard again of for a very long time. Especially the big blood dragon bit, there seems to be a fair amount of content ready in that post yet 2/3rds of a year later, we have not got a single peep about it.

My question could be bunched into 3 parts:
      #1 - what is going on with these? Were they just put onto the backburner for so long, were they scrapped, were they false promises, were they miscommunications, or are they working on it in secret? Speculation is ok for this part.

#2 - is hexent doing enough work on campaign?

#3 i think we can all agree that pve wise hexent's current level of communication is NOT acceptable. What ought we, as a community, do so that we can try to get hexent to keep us up to date with what is being developed campaign wise?
      I'm reeeeeeeallllllyyyyyyy am leery of bringing these up on-stream, cause you know it's just going to rile up the "WHERE'S MUH PVE????" crowd - and I'm at a loss this late in the evening to figure out how one discusses these constructively (especially as worded here) without it coming across from me or Manifesto as a complaint session.

Also keep in mind that while I have criticized Hex on TDR and will continue to do so when it's merited - I'm broadcasting on THEIR OFFICIAL CHANNEL - which does reign in the margins a bit on discourse vs. what I could do on my own personal Twitch.

#1 - With the information we have (which is like none) - to go into this would go beyond speculation, and into conspiracy theories. We have no substance from which to speculate. I can say in the past Hex has called things "done" when they meant "on paper" with no engineering time applied. (Dungeons in particular) I don't feel comfortable taking on such an extremely speculative theorycrafting session on Hex's PVE shortcomings and internal operations on the official channel.

#2 - Implies we know enough about the work they're doing to make a judgement on if it's good enough or not. I mean, you could also fairly ask "Is Hex Ent doing ANY work on campaign?" No clue!

#3. Good luck! People have wanted more communication from hex for YEARS. SEE MY THREAD ABOUT IT - I've called them out for it at least twice on Topdeck Radio already, and we've only done 6 episodes. I know of no way to make a company so stubbornly adamant about not letting us know what they're up to suddenly change their ways and be more forthcoming. I'm open to suggestions!

Your questions are fair, but better modified for a situation where we've interviewed a dev recently and have more context to work from. (Though, how much real details we'd get is a debate in itself)

Appreciate the questions - don't know how to handle it on-air without regurgitating the content of these forums from the last few years, so thought it better to give you my opinions here.
      Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
      I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
      Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
    • Are questions like the following Ok to air?

"What would, in your opinion, the worst-case scenario be, regarding the current HXE status (forced communication shutdown, State of the Game report, withdrawing of cash prizes, possible delay of Set 10 spoiler season and/or set itself)?"

It does touch upon the current issues but it specifically asks the hosts' opinions.

If that's cool then pick any/all from the above and the following:

"What would the tipping point be for you for saying <Enough is enough>?"
      "How do you evaluate the communication embargo specifically, compared to other experiences (other companies) and what might it indicate?" (I refuse to accept it's just because forum posts hurt their feelings)
      "What kind of miracle would be needed to get the game back on track?"

In any case, I realize the atmosphere is already heavy and you sometimes can't stomach dealing with the difficult stuff so here're a few topics to pass the time:

"2018 Exalted program: Thoughts and possible candidates' (assuming 3 like last time, with similar categorizaation)
      "Is VIP really needed? Should it be scrapped instead of being redesigned? What does it serve, exactly? What can take its palce 1. prestigiously, 2. as a monetary means?"
      "Streaming card games: How do other card games do it successfully? Why is streaming Hex non-existent (apart from the playerbase numbers)? Is it even possible to fix that?"

@Thrawn
    • Vroengard wrote:

Are questions like the following Ok to air?

"What would, in your opinion, the worst-case scenario be, regarding the current HXE status (forced communication shutdown, State of the Game report, withdrawing of cash prizes, possible delay of Set 10 spoiler season and/or set itself)?"

It does touch upon the current issues but it specifically asks the hosts' opinions.

If that's cool then pick any/all from the above and the following:

"What would the tipping point be for you for saying <Enough is enough>?"
      "How do you evaluate the communication embargo specifically, compared to other experiences (other companies) and what might it indicate?" (I refuse to accept it's just because forum posts hurt their feelings)
      "What kind of miracle would be needed to get the game back on track?"

In any case, I realize the atmosphere is already heavy and you sometimes can't stomach dealing with the difficult stuff so here're a few topics to pass the time:

"2018 Exalted program: Thoughts and possible candidates' (assuming 3 like last time, with similar categorizaation)
      "Is VIP really needed? Should it be scrapped instead of being redesigned? What does it serve, exactly? What can take its palce 1. prestigiously, 2. as a monetary means?"
      "Streaming card games: How do other card games do it successfully? Why is streaming Hex non-existent (apart from the playerbase numbers)? Is it even possible to fix that?"

@Thrawn
      I mean no disrespect to you at all in this post. As someone who deals with anxiety and depression, I play Hex to relax. I stream to feel better. I'm really getting tired of people asking me to cover these types of questions. Not mad at you personally, this is just the latest example. This is a generalized response to everyone.

I know people are concerned about the state of the game and looking to me and @Manifesto to talk about some of this stuff, but I'm Not giving airtime to doom and gloom questions. Full stop. Topdeck Radio will not become Hex Forums: The Podcast.

Before people accuse me of "White Knighting" or being a shill for HEX, let me make clear why I refuse give these questions air time:

1. Venue - This is not a show on my personal channel. This show airs on the OFFICIAL HEX CHANNEL. I feel it's inappropriate to be broadcasting in their house and talking like the world is going to end. The official channel exists to promote Hex. It'd be a different matter if the show ran off my personal channel. Why do people keep expecting us to be hyper-critical doom and gloom talkers on someone else's promotional platform? That's be like someone making a commercial to air on YouTube or TV with the basic message "Our Product is Crap. Don't Buy It." Which leads to,

2. It's Counter-Productive. This does nothing to help the game. We all want the game to survive and do well, right? What message does it send if someone rolls into the official channel looking to learn more about the game, to find people debating when the game's going to die? Or just constantly complaining? Do we really want to be using our platform to push people away and make them not even want to try out this awesome game? That Official Channel grants an air of legitimacy / weight to what we're talking about (it's open for debate on how big that is and what it's actually worth). We're just burying the knife in deeper to talk about the top half of your post.

3. My mental health. I don't have time for the drama. This is a GAME. I'm here for FUN. There's few enough content creators left for Hex. I sometimes feel like I've got to the position I'm in in the Hex community by virtue of being the Last Man Standing, and not through any actual talent on my part. Want me to burn out and drop out? Keep pushing this stuff. I can think of at least 8 prominent Hex streamers who stopped streaming this game in the last 12 months. Don't try to drag down the few of us who remain.

I DO think we can criticize Hex on the official channel. I'll remind you I've probably bitched about their communication in almost half of our episodes. But I have to make judgment calls between criticism that I think is valid feedback for the developers and could be helpful for the game, and "What's the WOrst Case Scenario?"

All of your questions after "In any case" are things I'm OK discussing on the show.

(deleted unhelpful rant at the end.)

The post was edited 4 times, last by Thrawn ().

• Thrawn wrote:

All of your questions after "In any case" are things I'm OK discussing on the show.
      That's fine. It's exactly why I posted them. As for the rest, I'm clearly not you so I have exactly 0 idea where you draw the line and what topics are moot. I never double-post questions. You can just ignore them without the whole spiel. It's your show. When I next post questions you don't like, don't answer them.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Thrawn wrote:

That's fine. It's exactly why I posted them. As for the rest, I'm clearly not you so I have exactly 0 idea where you draw the line and what topics are moot. I never double-post questions. You can just ignore them without the whole spiel. It's your show. When I next post questions you don't like, don't answer them.
      That's fair. But this comes up so much in my twitter / the show chat - people asking "what won't you talk about X" that sooner or later I had to drop the whole spiel so I have something in print to refer back to. You just happened to post the one that finally prodded me to do it. ;)

You DID start your post with "Are these OK." so I appreciate you asked and didn't presume anything on my part. I see how my post could come across as a long-winded "NO. F*** YOU." That's wasn't my intent. And again - really nothing personal at you. I just had to put the thought out there.
    • I know why you won't talk X. I'm just pushing to see the limits of X.

Also, like you said, we haven't had news in fucking WEEKS. At some point, THIS becomes the hot topic and you can't ignore it. You can either speak for the bad things happening, which is of interest to people, or don't have a show (which would be better compared to, let's say, creating a "Entrath World Cup; Which race would have the most chances to win it?" far-fetched topic just to fill the time). Someone in your position could even protest the situation by NOT going online for the show. First of all, it's not like it's your job, second of all, even if it was, there're plenty of protests happening in the world every day and, finally, it's not like you're not affected negatively and directly by the situation. You have far more power than 99% of the playerbase.
    • I understand and respect your position Thrawn, especially coming from a place of a certain amount of mental health issues in my own family.

That said, kind of the whole problem here is that NOBODY will take about this stuff (other than the few of us who are yelling progressively louder and louder just trying to catch someone's attention). Everyone else is apparently perfectly willing to just keep sitting on their hands forever, as things get worse and worse.

While I again understand where you're coming from, and completely respect your right to maintain creative control of your own show and handle the topics of discussion however you see fit, I personally just can't do that.

"If you see something, say something." The way I see it, if you see something wrong and you refuse to talk about it or trust the other party to figure it out on their own, you're at the very least enabling them, and at worst, part of the problem.

But, again, that's me, and I'm not judging you by the same brush I judge myself with. Cheers - hope you have a good show tonight. :)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • I think it is perfectly fair to say that you are not going to discuss those topics. Wether it is contra-productive or not is another question honestly but okay. There are enough places were our feedback gets ignored already ;) . Feedback is enough out there. The ball is in HXEs hands now anways. So yeah..it is completely fine to not talk about those things on your show.

All I would say is a request that you please dont swing in the other direction and actually start white knighting by saying disprovable statements like player activity is up or bash numbers are up.
    • NeroJinous wrote:

You should really cover some of the gloom stuff. It is far closer to the truth than your personal beliefs.
      I dont think Thrawn necessarily denies the "gloom stuff". He just doesnt want to talk about it right now for multiple reasons. I think thats fair. Now...if he actively goes out and denies the "gloom stuff" (like some people sadly do) then he opens himself up for debate. But he doesnt have to cover those things at all. It is fine to just talk about other stuff like meta, decks, tournament results, whatever.
    • Please respect his decision and do not harass.

I honestly feel like many of you just need a break from the forums. Play another game for a while. That is what I'm currently doing until HXE's communication picks up.

At this point it just seems like you are preaching to yourselves. No one is disagreeing that Hex needs to pick it up. No one is disagreeing that their communication skills are....non-existant.

Just play something else for a bit. I can not imagine it being healthly to lurk the forums 16 hours a day 6-7 days a week. Getting yourselves worked up over something almost everyone realizes is kind of moot. Many of you already pointed out the flaws.....I want to say way over 100 times now across 30 forum topics in thr past two months. If they don't want to listen after that then just move on. Done all that you can.
    • Pretty positive I've never denied the gloom. If anyone thinks I've said anything that's objectively misleading or false though, please point it out to me.

Ossuary wrote:

"If you see something, say something." The way I see it, if you see something wrong and you refuse to talk about it or trust the other party to figure it out on their own, you're at the very least enabling them, and at worst, part of the problem.
      I don't think it's fair to suggest a community member giving up two nights of his week to provide content is "part of the problem," even if you think I'm 100% in the wrong about wanting to stay out of the doom and gloom business. (I say this more to anyone with a more hard-line opinion, as I understood your post to be well-intended.)

You wrote the perfect opening for me to remind folks of recent examples:

This post in the Dino Watch thread

My thread calling on Hex to give us a state of the game address

This post where I want to know when Hex plans to discuss redoing VIP

This comment on their currency update

That time I offered up a possible VIP revamp

I'll put my opinions out there, but my sharpest critiques are likely to end up here. I almost always express myself better in writing than verbally.

Also... I bitch about Hex's communication almost every episode. I feel like I'm a cliche at this point on that topic.
    • Pve vip yearly AA champion and one new dungeon implemented with the announcement of yearly pve vip. Make it happen hex.

Don't worry about others opinion thrawn as long as its fun for you its the right thing to do. Streaming is hard enough without trying to pointlessly tailor your self after what other people think should be featured. :thumbsup:
    • @Thrawn if anyone accuses you of whiteknighting then they haven't watched your TDR shows. I know you've been as critical of HXE as you've been sarcastic about the forum ranting.

Piecetinker wrote:

I honestly feel like many of you just need a break from the forums. Play another game for a while. That is what I'm currently doing until HXE's communication picks up.
      So, what I'm getting from this is that you've presently left the game doing other stuff and you're inviting others to do the same, while we all wait for HXE to clear up their act.

You can get this any way you want because I won't try to be subtle: It looks like we like this game more than you. We want this game to be better and we're doing something about it. And I'm not only talking about forum posting, which is important, by the way. Metro, for example, is still streaming occasionally. I'm still around other media to help players and I even made a small platinum purchase 2 1/2 weeks ago (after the crisis had started). You on the other hand are waiting for someone else to do the something.
    • Why does this need to turn into a competition? That is a really immature thing to turn this into.

"Haha I'm staying around so that means I won. Nah nah, nah nah"

Really? Is that what you care about?

All I suggested was to take a break from the forums to just chill out a bit and come back with a fresh mind. Taking a break is a healthy thing to do. It doesn't mean you "quit". It doesn't mean you are expecting someone else to do your "dirty work". This isn't a job. This is a game. A game is a form of entertainment. If you aren't having fun then do something else for a bit. It really is an unhealthy mindset.

Yes, that's cool you are supporting in other ways, keep doing those things while taking a break from the forums.

It is also apparent you have some vendetta towards me. I could say "popcorn" and you would then turn that into some sort of argument.
    • No reason to go after Thrawn. Yes it is good to try to make change. No it is not good to go after someone who doesn't want to go down a certain path on their show.

If thrawn was secretly plotting to sell his collection in the hope the transaction occurs before the game goes bust, then sure I see your point. Since that is not happening, kind of odd to go after him.
    • Vroengard wrote:

No vendetta, mate. Just saying that we care in our own way and can't stop caring, like you. Explaining where we (I) stand and why I can't do what you tell me to.

That is fine. I don't want to command you to do something which is why I worded "suggestion" in my last post to enforce that idea. That apparently was overlooked, so I am mentioning it here again. I wouldn't want anyone else telling me what to do, either. Believe me.

Also, I never said anything in my statements that I "stopped caring". Taking a break from the forums does not mean I have decided to say "screw this game" and move on with my life. I feel like you are trying to assume the worst of me. People are allowed to take breaks especially if there is a large amount of negativity circulating around. The world can be a depressing place and seeing more negativity on top of negativity becomes draining. There are many outside factors that can relate to taking a break that may or may not be the cause of the game. You can't just assume things about me and my reasoning as if you had a theater view of my living room. People are allowed to play other games and do other things while still having an interest in the game.

I also reminded in my post about taking a break from the "forums". I did not say the game. I even encouraged to support the game through other means.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

If thrawn was secretly plotting to sell his collection in the hope the transaction occurs before the game goes bust, then sure I see your point. Since that is not happening, kind of odd to go after him.
      How do you know? The plot thickens dun dun dun!
      Busted. Selling my collection. For ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!

This is a joke... unless you're actually going to give me $1 million.