Steam review went magicly to the roof

  • JeffHoogland wrote:

    Swigmonkey wrote:

    The marketing needs to change from F2P. That crap has got to go. This is a TCG in digital form instead of paper, and it needs to be marketed as that. Instead you throw F2P and you get people mad because they have to spend money, no matter how minuscule amount of it. It should be like MTGO a 10 buy in. Give you a starter pack and a two evo codes.
    Having played a number of F2P card games, the reality is that Hex isn't any less "free to play" than any of the popular ones are. They all take a ton of grinding to have anything even remotely competitive without any investment.
    This is where you and I have different viewpoints. A CCG and TCG are not the same. That is like saying an ARPG is the same as a RPG. Sure they have similarities but both are fundamentally different (Take ESO and Diablo for instance of a comparison).

    Additionally you can sell stuff in HEX which also leads people who only know CCGs to not understand that idea behind the game with the F2P moniker. You hope into the game play a few games, get a tad of gold and go lookup a good deck and the first one that pops up for the competitive portion is 100 bucks, USD. At this point your thinking it is like every other F2P game a cash grab, and I am sure I'm not the only one. Add in the fact of the horrible artwork chosen for the new PS4 launch you have me at not playing the game.

    You launch a new game that is a TCG and market it accordingly, like the KS did, and you sold me in an instant. That is the difference. I want a TCG to play.

    Additionally the whole CCG is a catchall now so IMO a game needs to standout among it.

    With all that said, I agree with you 100% the new player experience is garbage for non-TCG players looking for a dive into something more than a simple CCG. Hopefully the PS4 intro area is a hit.
  • Account deletion should never have happened and HexEnt opened themselves up to this possibility, failed to communicate this risk to players at the time, failed to communicate the risk adequately to many players in the months following its break up with Gameforge, and then has had to work some occult magic to retrieve even some of the accounts lost due to this completely inexcusable blunderfuck of a situation. You can't make that untrue and if the Steam ratings tank for it then thats part of the price paid for what happened, HexEnt decided the risk of account loss was worth taking when they partnered with Gameforge (or they didn't know it could happen which is even worse) and it deserves ZERO defense because they lost that bet, hard. Gambling on consumer trust was a bad decision, losing was a worse outcome, fullstop.
  • Gregangel wrote:

    JeffHoogland wrote:

    Honestly this is what I'm most excited about for the PS4 release. If the dueling pits are done well it should be a good guiding hand to help people get from learning to play -> to grinding for free -> playing competitively.
    From what I've just seen in stream, PS4 version seems much more new player unfriendly than the PC version.
    Could you point to what reasons that is the case ?
  • Portensio wrote:

    Gregangel wrote:

    JeffHoogland wrote:

    Honestly this is what I'm most excited about for the PS4 release. If the dueling pits are done well it should be a good guiding hand to help people get from learning to play -> to grinding for free -> playing competitively.
    From what I've just seen in stream, PS4 version seems much more new player unfriendly than the PC version.
    Could you point to what reasons that is the case ?

    There are some kind of quest/objective and quickly they ask you to reach Silver in Rank... it is very bad to throw players into the ladder so soon...
  • Gregangel wrote:

    Portensio wrote:

    Gregangel wrote:

    JeffHoogland wrote:

    Honestly this is what I'm most excited about for the PS4 release. If the dueling pits are done well it should be a good guiding hand to help people get from learning to play -> to grinding for free -> playing competitively.
    From what I've just seen in stream, PS4 version seems much more new player unfriendly than the PC version.
    Could you point to what reasons that is the case ?
    There are some kind of quest/objective and quickly they ask you to reach Silver in Rank... it is very bad to throw players into the ladder so soon...
    I think that is an achievement and is not mandatory. Depends when they ask for it .

    If there are tasks that's very good.
  • Gregangel wrote:

    Yeah but that lure the player directly in the shark pool... first duelling pit, maybe an evo... and then you ask new player to climb the ladder. It seems not new player friendly right now
    If you pitch all new PS4 players at the same place fast enough they will then face each other which is good

    Depends on factors that we are not aware including if matchmaking was updated also
  • Portensio wrote:

    Gregangel wrote:

    Yeah but that lure the player directly in the shark pool... first duelling pit, maybe an evo... and then you ask new player to climb the ladder. It seems not new player friendly right now
    If you pitch all new PS4 players at the same place fast enough they will then face each other which is good
    Depends on factors that we are not aware including if matchmaking was updated also
    After 2 hours playing around with it, this isn't even close to happening. I played my free evo ticket a few hours after release, waited about 15 minutes before I got picked up by a silver w/ a card sleeve from 2 years ago. Every non-BS route (AI duels are shallow as hell) drives you to PvP which is full of seasoned HEX PC clients who have an obvious advantage. I couldn't imagine playing a real tournament in this client, especially with the bugs I encountered and no way to remediate them as we can with the PC client... Been about a year since I last really played, is there still good support [a.k.a. ticket refund] if the client bangs you out of a tournament or did that go when gameforge went? Even if there was, what would move you from your PS4 to a computer where you would submit a support ticket?

    My opinion went from 'nice release, I'm excited' up to minute 5, 'this isn't good at all' at my first error at minute 5, frustration at minute 10 due to tutorial screw ups, anger at 15 due to card management, this is a joke 15+ as I considered to explore everything else. Small things are gamebreakers in a console client and it shows so bad here, beyond the lack of the insane polish you need on a console which counts as a major screw up, I think they did well with the control scheme for a massive TCG and it's still left a lot wanting. I hate to say this to the wonderful people at HXE but it's just not a good experience, at all.

    For those saying this is a hardcore TCG game hence some of the craziness of the client and card management, I'd say to them 'well this is why we don't have hardcore TCG games on consoles'. I wouldn't pay 2 dollars for a tournament I'm not sure I'd make it through via bugs and I'm sure as hell aren't going to build a card collection or enter 7+ USD dollar drafts.

    As I said in my other post, I really hope I'm wrong, but I'd be damn surprised if this brings a real player base to the game. Maybe streaming can boost it, but what new players would stream this game if they're going to hit a bug that forces you out of a dual within the first 30 minutes?

    Getting the cursor/highlight to the right card when there are at least 20 hotspots for your curser to land at the start of the match and over a hundred in a good brawl is simply impossible. Try bringing that client to whatever weekly/monthly prize pool HXE is running and... well you wouldn't do it.

    So I see what is basically an e-sport, competitive TCG client on the PS4 that you would never bring to a competitive match if you were at all serious about the game. It won't draw collectors as the card interface is always going to be subpar with controller support for your collection (it's horrible, and again, I think they made the right choices with what they had), and it obviously won't draw any PvE/Raid/Guild/etc. I was disappointed before but now that I've logged more time into it I'm thinking this client is just not up to the job, it's rubbish. Again, hope I'm just seeing this from a bad perspective as I am sure HXE has put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this client and we all want it to work pretty badly. But damn this is half baked ya'll.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Castlenock ().

  • schild wrote:

    Unless you are willing to spend hundreds of hours grinding gold in PvE for overpriced packs in the auction house don't expect to get anywhere in this game and even if you drop 10-20 bucks into plats that still won't get you anything worthwhile. This game is obviously for Whales only.
    So, why do I not recommend it ? Simply because the whole pvp is a club of extremely powerful and expensive decks. If you wanna do good in pvp, you have to make a deck of at least 35 euros and that's the absolute minimum. You need a deck of at least 20 euros in order to be able to win 30% of your games, which means that you won't be advancing on the ladder, but at least you won't be going from one defeat to another either.
    This is not a solvable problem. These people are cheap and would complain any traditional CCG costs too much.
    Nah, these are solvable too. Make sure every set has its "budget yotul deck". Make sure enough commons/uncommons in a single archetype are pushed enough to reasonably compete with the rest of the meta. Magic had it for many sets with cheap red decks, and we had it for a couple of sets with yotul burn. It doesn't need to be every deck, just a single deck in each meta, that costs $5 instead of $50+++ and you have a great entry point for players to move from f2p/pve to proper pvp.

    Invested players still buy into the more expensive rare laden decks, and plenty that start with the one cheap one will move onto more expensive decks once bored of the archetype... but giving people a fighting chance without a huge investment, gives players time to become mentally/emotionally invested in the game enough to loosen the purse strings, rather than being chased away by sticker shock instantly.
  • You know what else would fix it without having to make some handicapped aggro nonsense at the low price end?

    Good casual formats. Like, holy shit, HXE. It's like you take the path of most resistance with every decision. Money on the table? Nah, let's try to invent the money tree.

    Anyway, I know a few good casual formats that people play just for fun.
  • Utremeld wrote:

    Account deletion should never have happened and HexEnt opened themselves up to this possibility, failed to communicate this risk to players at the time, failed to communicate the risk adequately to many players in the months following its break up with Gameforge, and then has had to work some occult magic to retrieve even some of the accounts lost due to this completely inexcusable blunderfuck of a situation. You can't make that untrue and if the Steam ratings tank for it then thats part of the price paid for what happened, HexEnt decided the risk of account loss was worth taking when they partnered with Gameforge (or they didn't know it could happen which is even worse) and it deserves ZERO defense because they lost that bet, hard. Gambling on consumer trust was a bad decision, losing was a worse outcome, fullstop.
    These posts that make a ton of assumptions that Hex tried their best to mess this up are pretty ridiculous. Game forge had all the account information. Including the contact information. Until people signed their accounts over to Hex, Hex couldn't contact them. How was Hex supposed to communicate with people they didn't have information from?

    Game forge is the one who shit the bit most likely and why wouldn't they? What do they stand to lose by pissing a bunch of Hex users off? Absolutely nothing is the answer. Why would they do extra work for no gain?
  • JeffHoogland wrote:

    These posts that make a ton of assumptions that Hex tried their best to mess this up are pretty ridiculous. Game forge had all the account information. Including the contact information. Until people signed their accounts over to Hex, Hex couldn't contact them. How was Hex supposed to communicate with people they didn't have information from?


    Game forge is the one who shit the bit most likely and why wouldn't they? What do they stand to lose by pissing a bunch of Hex users off? Absolutely nothing is the answer. Why would they do extra work for no gain?
    I'm no German Privacy Lawyererer... but surely with a bit of foresight there could've been a clause in the tos that info could be shared with hexent at GF's discretion.

    Granted, in excitement of the switch to a publisher promising the world, Cory probably wouldn't have been thinking contingencies... but there should've been someone on staff that was. Who knows, maybe there was and they got waved off, or maybe there was literally no legal way to prep for this possibility... it's all just speculation.