Game Mode Idea: Corinth vs Corinth

• Game Mode Idea: Corinth vs Corinth

So Corinth is probably one of the most interesting mercs added to the Hex campaign, and while it's fun and challenging to play it through dungeons, every time I play her I can't help but think about how much fun it would be to play in a PVP mode with Corinth vs Corinth. The merc looks like it was practically built with this kind of mode in mind and it'd be crazy not to put this format into the game. No special rules or anything would need to be attached to this other than what is displayed right on the merc.

Minimum UI/Systems updates needed to accomplish:
      • A tab/category in the deckbuilder screen that allows standalone Mercenary decks (or at least Corinth decks) to be built outside of the Campaign.
      • An option on the direct Challenge feature in game to select the Corinth vs Corinth format and use Corinth-eligible decks.
      Optional additional enhancements to improve further:
      • Random Matchmaking Queue for Corinth vs Corinth format.
      Monetization Idea:
      • Create a Special PVE Resource that has: "Gain 1/1, Gain a Charge, Gain a random Threshold" (example here), then, add a bundle on the Hex store with a copy of the Corinth merc + 4x of the Special PVE Resource for $10-$20, maybe even make Corinth auto-upgraded so you don't have to play through campaign & spend gold on it which console players can't do currently (so that PS4 players can access this mode fully too).

That's it! Pretty much everyone I know that has played Corinth in campaign has told me they really want a PVP mode built around this merc, so I wanted to create a separate thread for this for discussion, let me know what you think! <3
    • Yes. I don't think you guys realize you literally printed a deck builder in a mercenary and now should CAPITALIZE on it.

I would also add that you could either buy that or even sell it as a game mode for 10 without the mercenary and Essence. I would willingly pay to access this mode. Make it happen. Today.
    • Bullshit. They realize it. Just like they realize what a kick in the taint Sing'lar (the Merc) was when they printed it.

Problem is, whenever I point out the campaign is garbo and we should be able to play other people with all this wackass silliness, a bunch of people are like BUT MUH PVE. It's a card game. You play other humans. Get the net.
    • On that note, no they should not sell primal essence with it. They should just flat out print a new special pve only land for the deck (which would be super compelling). Or even better, bundle in corinth-themed alternative art basic resources.

There's no reason to devalue a land that was already put into packs (particularly when it's so cheap already).
    • schild wrote:

On that note, no they should not sell primal essence with it. They should just flat out print a new special pve only land for the deck (which would be super compelling). Or even better, bundle in corinth-themed alternative art basic resources.

There's no reason to devalue a land that was already put into packs (particularly when it's so cheap already).
      Yeah you're probably right about this, and that would be cool if they added some kind of special PVE resource that basically was Gain 1/1, Gain a Charge, Gain a random Threshold. That would work really well with this format, imo

Edited OP to include idea for special pve resource.
    • It should be just basic shards (like momir basic).
      Reason being that it is supposed to be a casual ffa format where everyone should have the same odds.
      Its a heavy rng format (which is fun for a ffa format) so please make it the same odds for everyone.
      It shouldnt be overcomplicated by having all shards. It is supposed to be a format where I jump in without having to think about my "deck".

It should be a simple queue and not a tournament.
      It is a fun format. Jump in to have some casual fun and not "have another weekly 3 hour tournament". Thats defeating the entire purpose.

Good to see some action finally though.
    • I am super psyched about this coming to the game! It's not going to be exactly as proposed in the OP but still pretty exciting to see Chris working on it and actually see a demo of it being played in the dev client!

Ideally I'd have liked to see it where players could customize their deck, but I'm okay with it being prebuilt with basic shards to allow a lower barrier to entry for random matchmaking. I do hope that they also add a custom deck option for direct-challenge mode though, so we can customize our decks and get a bit more competitive with friends.

Thanks again @Chris for the excellent stream, I really look forward to the next one! <3
    • I'm going to repeat here what I said in stream. As a scheduled tournament, I'm fine with only basic shard decks.

As a casual format, that is absurd. Ignoring every other shard in the game (particularly ice and roots), as well as underplayed stuff like Rift Core, flies directly in the face of this champion.

Hell, I play the broombot land in my Corinth deck in PvE. It's great.
    • Nothing in HEX added will matter until:
      1. It's a supported standard ladder bucket (Sorry, not sorry) - We should have - Standard, Limited, Immortal, Rock, Singleton, Corinth, etc. as Ladders - match reward structure, let top rankings join end of season tournament.
        1. Just do it, let ppl play when they want, how they want. Stop caring about the buckets, we just need to attack it as egg before chicken.
      2. There are ways to socially stimulate the playerbase to care.
      Scheduled tournaments just don't work for the majority interested, and it locks us to time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NicoSharp ().

• NicoSharp wrote:

Nothing in HEX added will matter until:
      1. It's a supported standard ladder bucket (Sorry, not sorry) - We should have - Standard, Limited, Immortal, Rock, Singleton, Corinth, etc. as Ladders - match reward structure, let top rankings join end of season tournament.
        1. Just do it, let ppl play when they want, how they want. Stop caring about the buckets, we just need to attack it as egg before chicken.
      2. There are ways to socially stimulate the playerbase to care.
      Scheduled tournaments just don't work for the majority interested, and it locks us to time.
      I don't know about the prize support, etc. But completely agree with Nico that scheduled stuff makes no sense in a digital game. Part of the appeal of a digital game is convenience, why lock things people want behind a wall of specific times.
    • Alternate format name: Two Corinthians

One thing I like about this format is that you can never get threshold screwed, and never get stuck below 5 resources.

Also +1 for the idea of a matchmaking queue. To solve the buckets problem, when they add a new wacky casual format, they can start rotating that matchmaking slot as a format of the hour/day/week/whatever. Then you only ever have one more bucket than we currently do.
    • Also, this is how you monetize it:

Wacky Format Queue requires a gold entry fee. Something nominal like 500g. Add a gold reward for winning any regular PvP match (ranked ladder, draft, evo, sealed). Then you can't just play Iconoclash for free forever, you have to subsidize it by engaging in the currently monetized parts of the game.

In addition, feed Wacky Format into the cosmic crowns/siege sacks system by having it reward Wacky Wingdings, redeemable for fun prizes.