Hex marketing going forward

• Largashbur wrote:

At the moment there is a bonafide example for the contrasts between mtgo and hex players on reddit, which you may be interested in reading

reddit.com/r/hextcg/comments/5…hat_to_start_hex_or_mtgo/
      reddit.com/r/MTGO/comments/5xzz1j/what_to_start_mtgo_or_hex/

Most answers in the MTGO-reddid came from Hex-players promoting the game. So it's not that useful to compare the two. Would have been better if no Hex-fans had replied in the MTGO-reddid (IMHO).

A cheaper format would help lower the barrier of entry too. Maybe an all common-format for Bronze, Rock for Silver and Gold. Platin and Cosmic use the complete Pool of cards.
      Or create a separate queue (affection your rating for the constructed ladder) with a two-wekly-rotation of different deck-creation-restrictions without the expensive cards.
    • I really think hex would do well to have rotating formats count for the ladder but already the que split for the immortal que is leading to some heavy ques and the fact you don't get ladder points for it is seemingly holding it back a whole lot.

If it ever is feasible with the playerbase having rock,EDH,singleton or any of a few different formats switching each week being applicable for the constructed que would be amazing for the playerbase i think.
    • I feel like many of the posts here are using an overly narrow scope. While F2P are important for games, spending large amounts of money, time & effort to garner the attention of players that by definition don't spend money on the game seems like a negative EV endeavor. These players are important for the game but only if you can get them in very large quantities. Furthermore, marketing is not ONLY about acquiring new players as much of this thread makes it out to be. It is also about keeping existing players engaged / increasing retention rates as well as reeling players who have quit the game back in (I imagine this is no easy task due to German privacy laws that Hex might not have all the information they need for a campaign like that).

That said here are some things that I don't see being considered:

-Sponsor game nights at local gaming lounges. I don't know about other major cities, but modern LAN centers in the ones I've lived in don't really resemble what they used to be. The ones I'm thinking of are no longer the seedy unkempt spots that come to mind when thinking of ones from 10+ years ago. Reaching out to these places would be costly, but if done right it would also have a very high conversion rate. These people would definitely create a local word of mouth that doesn't currently exist. With Hex currently existing purely in digital space, word of mouth is severely lacking.

-GET ON MOBILE. This is much much easier said than done, but it sounds like the team is working on it. Not only do they need to come up with the tech, but they need to come up with systems that actually are enjoyable on mobile. Currently the game is missing features that would translate well (except for maybe the frost ring arena).

-Have some sort of 'street team' / 'demo team' at conventions. This could be as simple as handing out codes on fliers or could be much more involved. CZE already has a lot of experience with this and likely knows when / how it is worthwhile for Hex. Additionally when you're doing something like this you want the audience to have already at least heard about the game so that they are more primed to be interested when approached. I dunno but this is unlikely to get worthwhile return on the number of dollars spent.

-Have a better social media presence. This is one of the positive things I'll say about Gameforge, they at least somewhat knew what they were doing when it comes to this. This is something that most people think is easy (it isn't), that most people think is woo-woo wizardry where you can just pay any snake oil salesman that comes to you saying they can (not the case), and that it is something that shouldn't be very time consuming (it is). The problem with the Gameforge approach is that whoever was working on this wasn't really communicating with any of the other teams for Hex, it felt like in order to save time they were kinda just double dipping on work they'd done for other games / campaigns. A lot of the Hex stuff was either tone deaf or didn't make sense. Finally the big gripe I'd have here is that Hex takes an overly hands off approach, engaging more actively ESPECIALLY on twitter goes such a long way. Currently twitter is just a glorified news blotter for Hex but it could be way more than that.

TLDR; Currently social media is only being used for communication when it could also be used for marketing.

-Steam presence. I don't know anything about this from experience, but it definitely feels like a resource that is relatively untapped. Whatever the equivalent of SEO for Steam is ought to be done with Hex. I feel like Hex flopped on Steam, and don't know if there's much hope in salvaging that or if they should just take it for what it is.

I leave each of these bullet points pretty brief but could easily elaborate further. I guess with all the talk of "just convert MTGO players" going on in this thread I don't understand how people suggest that happen. I'm not seeing specifics and people seem really focused on that particular avenue.
    • Oliver wrote:

Largashbur wrote:

At the moment there is a bonafide example for the contrasts between mtgo and hex players on reddit, which you may be interested in reading

reddit.com/r/hextcg/comments/5…hat_to_start_hex_or_mtgo/
      reddit.com/r/MTGO/comments/5xzz1j/what_to_start_mtgo_or_hex/
      Most answers in the MTGO-reddid came from Hex-players promoting the game. So it's not that useful to compare the two. Would have been better if no Hex-fans had replied in the MTGO-reddid (IMHO).

A cheaper format would help lower the barrier of entry too. Maybe an all common-format for Bronze, Rock for Silver and Gold. Platin and Cosmic use the complete Pool of cards.
      Or create a separate queue (affection your rating for the constructed ladder) with a two-wekly-rotation of different deck-creation-restrictions without the expensive cards.
      Sorry for the double post, but going to just go out on a limb and say that they tone and approach that the Hex players are using in that thread on the MTGO reddit does more harm than help.
    • DeathRealm wrote:

Yeah, giving away codes for an evo sealed on gaming-related events\websites\etc is a good idea, I believe.

I've started my YouTube channel some time ago. I made a big review of HEX, also there I have tournament recordings, a deck review and patch/update reviews.
      All the content is in russian. People ask lots of questions, after HS and even some more complex card games HEX is a huge leap for them.
      And I try to make their transition to the new game smooth and painless.

BTW, feel free to subscribe to the channel. Even though the content is in russian, some recordings, like tournament plays and deck reviews are language independent. Also, it would be your assist to spread a word about HEX and its awesomeness.

YouTube channel

Let's hope one day HEX becomes a number one digital card game in the world.
      Hex is a huge leap even for me, but I still love it. I'm slowly learning the ropes and have a long way to go. Keep spreading the word!
      I'm feeling HEXy, are you?

Twitch: FeelingHEXy / Twitter: @feelinghexy
    • Largashbur wrote:

While watching some MTGO streams on Twitch, i have asked people for their experience with Hex.

In each stream there was at least one person that knew about it before

-some have said that the art/design of the game turned them off
      -some have said that hex didnt receive much trajectory - and because of that they dont want to try it out
      -some have said they played hex but then returned to mtgo because "why play a copy when you can play the original?"
      In my opinion, I don't think we need only snatch fans from MTGO or the physical game for that matter. I think it's important to target TCG fans that are looking for a new experience.

When I read the back of a book sleeve that is described as better or just as good as Tolkien, I usually just put the book down.

• Funktion wrote:

-Have a better social media presence. This is one of the positive things I'll say about Gameforge, they at least somewhat knew what they were doing when it comes to this. This is something that most people think is easy (it isn't), that most people think is woo-woo wizardry where you can just pay any snake oil salesman that comes to you saying they can (not the case), and that it is something that shouldn't be very time consuming (it is). The problem with the Gameforge approach is that whoever was working on this wasn't really communicating with any of the other teams for Hex, it felt like in order to save time they were kinda just double dipping on work they'd done for other games / campaigns. A lot of the Hex stuff was either tone deaf or didn't make sense. Finally the big gripe I'd have here is that Hex takes an overly hands off approach, engaging more actively ESPECIALLY on twitter goes such a long way. Currently twitter is just a glorified news blotter for Hex but it could be way more than that.

TLDR; Currently social media is only being used for communication when it could also be used for marketing.
      Honestly, I really think Hex needs to consider hiring another community manager SPECIFICALLY to manage their social media presence.

It's not a small task, it's a dedicated job. And it's too much to ask of Dino in addition to all of his other tasks ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Portensio wrote:

It's hard to have someone that is invested in a game and likes it to change.

I'll give you an example. It's as if someone from another games paid a hex streamer to try that game. As a hex viewer of That stream three things can happen
      1- I love hex and don't care about another game
      2- I love hex but will try that other game since it's free 2 play. I might switch if I like but I invested already 1000$ into hex why would I pay for another game if I already like this one

3- Im bored to hell with hex and want another game. Find this one try it and move over to That game. (or not)

As for me I'm either 1 or 2. I tried like a gazillion tcg but nothing sticks. Either they don't have enough depth (HS) or they use that CCG crafting junk way to acquire cards (I hate that model)
      So even if someone gets my attention I won't switch because I'm too invested or I like my game.

Magic players are like that. There is no f2p players on MTGO andost people love the game (just hate the software).

It's very difficult to just nail 1 way to capture new audience and to add to the problem there had been a ton of CCG coming out and people think that 1$ 5 card packs with no value is better than 2$ 17 cards with value.

It's hard to convert people. The best example would be Jeff Hoogland. He is a very reputable magic player (1st place scg last year) and he has a ton of magic followers. He also knows a ton of other magic players. He did get some people to try hex but alot of. Time I'll see post under his tweets saying. '' ah I have to try this game you always talking about it '' but I don't see them follow too much on it. Maybe those less invested did the switch but as pros I don't think so.

Anyway a long post for saying that there is not just one way of doing it. And just doing publicity about it might not be the only way. Having tournaments that pay cash (hello there 1k clash) and having people talk about it on general is the best Thst can be done.

There will never be a huge increase of players but I'll be happy if. There is a constant growth. Slow and steady is better than a huge gain followed by huge lost
      Ditto to every point you made. 8)

• Transience wrote:

MTGO isn't free to play. Not only the cards, even the client cost money.

Do we really think any other TCG is even worth mentioning as a competitor? I don't think things like Heartstone and the likes are keeping players away from HEX.
      I agree on the point about Hearthstone. People that will get into a game like Hex will probably dislike Hearthstone, or eventually give up on it like I did, and vice versa.

• Bootlace wrote:

I feel like the #1 reason people don't stick with the game and even give it negative reviews is the lack of F2P elements in the PvP side of the game. This is basically Hex's curse as a TCG as it can't give out free valuable stuff at the pace that other games can. The PvE and gold sinks, the free PvP ladder, account leveling and other free tournaments certainly show HxE is doing as much as it can without impacting the economy but many new players to the genre who only got started with cards games like Hearthstone don't really care about the reasons.

I wonder if they could have a free phantom sealed once per week during the week when nothing much is going on (with non-economy impacting rewards) and maybe also one for PvP scheduled tournament where players can temporarily have 4 of any card if that doesn't require too much implementation resources. This will allow those players to get a taste of these formats and perhaps confidence/motivation to try the real thing after improving -> experiencing success (and finally join the weekend's Hex Clash prize tourney and be 'converted'). Having a lot of activity during a normally quiet weekday could have nice spillover effects too without killing much revenue. Brand it as something like Wednesday Night Hex so people make it a habit.
      Thoughtful idea. I'm imagining the devs spitball things like this all the time. It would be nice to hear from them about how they decide to run with an idea. Have they done this already and I just missed it? It's very possible LOL.

One cool thing that Hearthstone is doing as of late, is being much more transparent about why they're going the direction they are going. I think the players would also find it fascinating. At least I know I would.

• Bootlace wrote:

Some reviews below I'm referring to. What you'll notice is these people actually quite like the game but it's the business model turning them off. I'm not sure if what I suggested would be enough to make them stick around tbh, but there might be other ways to accommodate them while not deeply impacting the economy. Hex is in a unique position in this regard (MTGO I would consider the exception, not the rule) so it'll require some new & fresh ideas/approaches to make a TCG more attractive to F2P leaning CCG fans. And I do think that HS has created enough new fans of the genre that this would be an avenue worth pursuing - making the ladder similar to HS one suggests HxE feel the same way.

I understand that HxE are scared of offering free versions of their paid modes as it could set a bad precedent and kill some of their actual revenue, but I'm suggesting it in a very limited capacity with rewards that are only as good as the equivalent of spending a few hours in PvE. The hope would be that these players play in a few of these tourneys, eventually get to a place where they have some good results, and take the plunge into a Hex Clash for example. Then at that point if they're hooked into playing Hex Clash every week that'll be a huge boost for the game. If this model works for limited you can do the same for constructed - have a constructed version of Hex Clash on Sundays and a free phantom constructed on a weekday to, in similar fashion, ease them in to the weekly tourney.

I don't think you'll ever convert those types of people.
      There was a signature here. It's gone now.
    • Darkwonders wrote:

I don't think you'll ever convert those types of people.
      There are people who'd like to taste a mode once before paying for it, let's call it free-to-try instead of F2P since that word can mean many different things. Unlimited scaling schedule sealed tourneys already exist so the main implementation required for the idea would be turning off a switch where the cards in the pool don't go into the players inventory (Im sure its more complicated than that, but not huge new tech). And I suggested this specific example since Hex Clash seems to be the direction the company is going in and this seemed like a good complimentary addition to make that strategy be more successful. A lot of good ideas in this thread but we need ideas that require very low amount of resources to execute and take advantage of the current structure.

Eraia wrote:

Honestly, I really think Hex needs to consider hiring another community manager SPECIFICALLY to manage their social media presence.

It's not a small task, it's a dedicated job. And it's too much to ask of Dino in addition to all of his other tasks

I'd much rather they hire a dedicated marketing person instead of this. Dino is already doing a great job, and community management/social media prescence can only be as effective as the amount of communication that the company is capable/willing to transmit. We know from HxE's history that they like to keep things close to their chest for a variety of reasons so you can have all the community managers in the world but if they don't have much to share, then whats the point?