CARD DESIGN CONTEST 2018-03-27 - 2018-04-06

• CARD DESIGN CONTEST 2018-03-27 - 2018-04-06

Feaster Fool's Day

Design one or more cards that meet the design constraint described below to win prizes! You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:

Since the events "(f)Easter" and "April Fool's Day" fall on the same day this year please design a card that works together with any of the Feast of Abundance Cards and embodies April fool's day.

Don't forget to name the card you are supporting with your card.

Examples and Suggestions:

there are very few Feast of Abundance cards and this is open enough that you really shouldn't need these. Don't be afraid to revisit cards already picked up by other competitors to add your own spin to them. Should the next one get revealed while this contest is running (i hope so) you can use that one, too.
      Also tags.

Judging Criteria

1: Conciseness - One of the main reasons many of the cards didn't take in the "It's your Card" Thread - try to be concise - during the Dev Stream they talked about "less than 7 lines of text on cards"
      2: Theme: April's Fools - How good does it fit with the theme
      3: Synergy with the chosen Feast of Abundance Card

Rewards:
      1st place: 3 Doombringer Primal Chests (no spin) + all Feast of Abundance cards x4 + Equipment
      2nd place: 1 Doombringer Primal Pack
      3rd place: 4x Symeon's Bounty + Equipment, 4x Egg Hunt + Equipment

Deadline:

will judge and send prices on 2018-04-07 most likely
      Clock
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri

The post was edited 1 time, last by SlayerStronghold: added prizes ().

• Prankster Plums
      2 [WILD]
      Action
      Deploy - Five random cards in opposing champion's deck or hand secretly get "When you play this, interrupt it. Summon a Llama."

"The boonberries have slightly different traditions for the feast of abundance"

Equipment - Joke-a-tron 5000 - Trinket
      Your Prankster Plums instead have "When you play this, interrupt it. Summon a Llama. Then, create a Prankster Plums and put it in the opposing champion's hand."

Equipment - Second Sleeve - Hands
      Your Prankster Plums have 'when this is discarded or buried, play it for free'.
    • Name: Hodgepodge Effort
      Cost: 1
      Threshold Requirement:
      Type: Quick Action
      Rarity: Legendary
      Ability: Escalate: Conscript 1 card that was released during a holiday event.
      Favor Text: Which holiday are we suppose to be celebrating? - cute filly

Equipment for Feet: Artificial Nature - Add 10 [WILD] shards to your deck when an Egg of Growth's effect activates with no [WILD] shards in your deck after the first time you play Hodgepodge Effort.
      Equipment for Head: Replant Calculations - Add all Symeon's Bounties in your crypt and void to your deck when you play a Fruit of Symeon after the first time you play Hodgepodge Effort.
    • PVE Cards:

Fruit? Egg? Basket
      Cost: 4
      Legendary Artifact
      Deploy: Create 4 EggFruit and put them into your deck.
      [EXHAUST] : Create 2 EggFruit and put them into your deck.
      "Have some! Symeon's best, just for you!" - Galthlin, Primal of Trickery

EggFruit
      Cost: 0
      Basic Action
      When this enters your hand, play this for free.
      Deploy: This transforms into a Snack Pack, Snack Attack, or Attack Pack at random.
      Draw a card.

Snack Pack
      Basic Action
      You gain 2 health for each EggFruit played this game.
      "Yum!"

Snack Attack
      Basic Action
      Deal 1 damage to target troop or champion for each EggFruit played this game.
      "Ouch!"

Attack Pack
      Troop: Egg, Plant
      [SPEED]
      Deploy: This gets +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] for each EggFruit played this game.
      0 [ATTACK] /0 [DEFENSE]
      "Yike!"

For Attack Pack, I'm drawing inspiration from the egg with claws and eyes in a basket as seen on the 2017 Feast of Abundance sleeve.

Egg Pluckers
      Rare Gloves
      Your EggFruits instead have "Deploy: This transforms into two of the following at random: Snack Pack, Snack Attack, or Attack Pack."

Expert Weave
      Legendary Weapon
      Your Fruit? Egg? Baskets instead have:
      "Deploy: Create 8 EggFruit and put them into your deck. Draw a card.
      : Create 4 EggFruit and put them into your deck. Draw a card."

Edit: Whoops. Design constraint of working with an existing Feast of Abundance Card.
      PVE Cards:

Galthlin's Grift
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Rare Action
      Replace 2 Fruit of Symeon in your deck with Present.
      "How did the fruit have a robot in it?"

The post was edited 4 times, last by Zyblen ().

• just to repeat:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

Don't forget to name the card you are supporting with your card.
      your choices are: Concubunny, Blindside, Cheery Songbird, Symeon's Bounty, Egg Hunt and ... Beast of Abundance AA ...?
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SlayerStronghold ().

• Shall you be a fool ?
      Legendary Basic Action
      ----
      Escalation - Put 1 random Feaster curse into the opposing champion deck and then bury 1 card from opposing champion deck.

"Fool or not a fool ?, we shall see!"

There is 3 possible Feaster Curse (33% chance each)

Feaster Egg Curse
      ----
      When this enters your hand or crypt, put the top card of your deck into that zone. Void this.
      Summon a copy of every Feaster egg control by each opposing champion under that champion's control. If an opposing champion don't have any Feaster egg under their control, summon 2 random Feaster egg under that champion's control.

Feaster Fruit Curse
      ----
      When this enters your hand or crypt, put the top card of your deck into that zone. Void this.
      Create a copy for each Fruit of Symeon in the opposing champion deck and put them into their deck. If there is no Fruit of Symeon in the opposing champion deck, create 2 Fruit of Symeon and put them into their deck.

Happy Feaster Fool's day
      ----
      When this enters your crypt, lose 1 health and put the top card of your deck into that zone. Void this.
      Move each Shall you be a fool ? one space in the opposing champion's deck

Equipment

Mighty Fish of the Fool - Legendary weapon
      Your Shall you be a fool ? instead have: Escalation - Put 2 random fool's curse into the enemy deck and then bury 2 card from opposing champion deck.

Entrath Encyclopedia of Hoax - Rare trinket
      Double all numerical value of each Feaster curse.

Idea / Explanation
      The card can support itself or boost both the "Egg Hunt" or "Symeon's Bounty" Feaster card.
      The last curse is basicly a draw skip for the opponent if draw, or 1-2 damage if bury (to not interrupt bury mechanic)
      Feaster curse doesn't escalate, their number are bold only to show which value are double by the equipment.

The post was edited 3 times, last by skinotik ().

• Dingle Prankster
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Human Mage
      [EXHAUST] : A random opposing troop secretly gets "When this exhausts, revert and transform it into a Dingler. Revert it again at the start of your turn."
      1/1

This is generally a playful and foolish card, but it plays particularly well with Blindside as the Prankster exhausts at quick speed and is good with repeated use.

Prank-fest
      X [WILD]
      Basic Action
      X times: A random opposing troop battles a random troop you control.

This card is fun and interesting, but bonkers when paired with the new Beast of Abundance. The X let's you Rowdy it up as you wish. The battles make the Beast useful before he's had enough to eat.

The post was edited 1 time, last by faceremover: Added stats for the prankster. ().

• While the Vennen have been moving away from putting Eggs into decks, seeing my deck get filled with spiderling eggs always filled me with dread.

So here's a card that lets you make a fool of Spiderling decks (and really any other opponent that is putting banes into your deck). In addition, being quick means you can respond to an instance of an opponent putting cards into your deck. And if your opponent isn't cooperating by creating cards, you can always do so yourself, such as with Symeon's Bounty, the Cleric champion's ability, etc. Lastly, the Fingerpainters equipment works particularly well with Egg Hunt finally giving you the cards to play with all of those wild shards you are getting.

Egg Painter
      2 [WILD] [WILD]
      Quick Troop - Shin'hare Mage
      ------
      Whenever a card is created and put into your deck, transform the created card into a random Feaster Egg.

------
      1/2

"Silly Vennen. Their eggs are are so gross and icky. They really should try painting them with rainbows."

Equipment for Egg Painter
      Fingerpainters
      Rare Gloves

Your Feaster Eggs have "When this enters play, draw a card."
      Eggshell Hardhat
      Uncommon Head

Your Egg Painters have "Deploy - Transform each bane in your deck into a random Feaster Egg."
    • Fool's Fowl
      3 [WILD] [WILD] Rooster Troop
      Rebirth
      When a Feaster Egg enters play, summon a Fool's Egg for each opposing champion.
      When you play a Fruit of Symeon, put between 1 and 3 Fool's Eggs in each opposing champion's deck.
      [SPELLSHIELD]
      1 [ATTACK] /2 [DEFENSE]
      Nobody likes his tricks, but nobody seems to be able to get rid of him....

Fool's Egg
      2 Artifact
      When this enters your hand, play it for free.
      When this enters play, sacrifice it and perform one of the following at random:
      Draw 1-3 cards and transform all drawn cards into random cards of a different shard.
      Lose 1 Charge and 1 Temporary Resource.
      Lose 1-3 Health. For each health you lose this way, discard a card at random.

Obviously, this synergizes with Symeon's Bounty and Egg Hunt. :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Since I didn't actually properly read the design constraint for my first entry, let's make a better one.

Timophy's Trickery
      3 [WILD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Action
      Create five 'Planted Evidence' in each opposing champion's deck.

Planted Evidence
      Action
      When this enters your hand or crypt, void this. An opposing champion summons a 'Timophy's Victim'

Timophy's Victim
      2 [WILD]
      Troop - Fae
      2/2
      Exhaust this -> Choose one at random: A random opposing troop gets -1/-1 and gets stunned, or create 3 feaster eggs and put them into your deck, or summon a random feaster egg.

This one supports Egg Hunt, and is based off the alternate artwork of Sylvan Springs, where I think Timophy can be seen stealing someone's underwear. The thematic idea is that, as a prank, he plants the evidence with the opposing champion, victim finds out, and starts tossing eggs with minimal accuracy!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Firellius ().

• (PvE) Bag O' Birds
      3 [DIAMOND] [WILD]
      Constant
      Deploy - Summon 2 Cheery Songbird.
      All Cheery Songbird you control gain [LIFEDRAIN] .
      At the start of your turn, one random Cheery Songbird you control gains [SWIFTSTRIKE] until the end of the turn.

"Welcome to the Birdemic ya bird brains!"

(Uncommon Equipment/Head) Bird Brain Banner
      Your Bag O' Birds instead have, "Deploy - Summon 3 Cheery Songbird."

(Legendary Equipment/Weapon) The Coat Hanger
      Your Bag O' Birds gain, " [ONESHOT] : When a Cheery Songbird deals combat damage to an opposing champion, you may sacrifice this constant to create 2 Bag O' Birds and put them into your hand.

This constant focuses on using Cheery Songbirds for offensive play. The [SWIFTSTRIKE] buff on a [LIFEDRAIN] buffed songbird will trigger the effects of the other songbirds. Equipping the Birdseed Maracas add in a lethal tempo to your birds, gradually increasing the size of their party. Also, Tealwing is best bird husbando.
      Edit: Edited the theme to be around the (bad) Birdemic movie for a comedy holiday.

The post was edited 4 times, last by HaughtyHeretic ().

• 2 - Feaster Trickster
      [SAPPHIRE] [WILD]
      TROOP - Fae Leprechaun - Rare

Spellshield

[EXHAUST] Transform target Feaster Egg you control into a random Trickster Egg and put it under target opponent champion's control.

2 [ATTACK] 2 [DEFENSE]
      "Happy Feaster Fool's Day! Hehehehe...."
      ------------------------------------
      Invisible Prankster's Cloak(Chest): Your Feaster Tricksters instead have: [EXHAUST] Transform up to 3 Feaster Eggs.
      ------------------------------------
      Balloon "10 Tons" Hammer(Weapon): Your Feaster Tricksters have : When a Feaster Egg enters play under your control, ready this.
      -----------------------------------
      Fart Gas Egg
      At the start of your turn sacrifise this. Stun a random troop you control.

Dinlgerism Egg
      At the start of your turn sacrifice this.Transform a random troop you control into a Dingler. It gets "At the start of your turn, revert this."

Fireworks Egg
      At the start of your turn sacrifice this. Add 3 Burning Counters yourself.

Fake Cockroaches Egg
      At the start of your turn sacrifice this. Discard a random card.
      ------------------------

The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • What an awesome idea! It's a lot of fun creating some new lore tied into the Feast of Abundance with an added twist on April Fools. Thanks for the contest and for providing support, Slayer. Here's my submission:

Feaster Ham

3-Cost, Single-Wild Threshold, Constant
      Uncommon Rarity

At the end of every turn, move each Fruit of Symeon and Symeon's Bounty in your deck up five spaces. Then, look at the top three cards of your deck. Put a revealed Fruit of Symeon or Symeon's Bounty into your hand.

"The Shin'hare offered spoils from their Spring harvest to Oinkers in the form of wine and fruit, then slaughtered fattened swine to use as the centerpiece for their Feast of Abundance."

(Equipment)

Unbuckeled Belt (Trinket) (Rare)- When you play Fruit of Symeon, put it back into your deck instead of voiding it.

Second Helping (Head) (Legendary)- When you play Fruit of Symeon, if you already played Fruit of Symeon this turn, add a dazed counter to the opposing champion.
    • Questions about entries and one day before the end of the contest warning. YOU can still add entries!

[b]Prankster Plums[/b]

Please explain how this is April Fool's themed

Hodgepodge Effort

Fruit? Egg? Basket

if this wasn't an action with a deploy trigger this would work well together with Symeon's Bounty's additional draws.

Shall you be a fool ?

slightly over-designed and each of them is on the limit of the conciseness restraint. Otherwise fine.

Dingle Prankster

[ATTACK] and [DEFENSE] are missing

Fool's Fowl
      your generated card is slightly too wordy, i would need to deduct points for not being concise.

[b]Timophy's Trickery/Timophy's Victim[/b]

How does this support Egg Hunt? All i see is a troop that wants to use it's [EXHAUST] ability.

Spring Fever!

Any card i have not mentioned in this post is within the design constraints.

I will start judging in 24h 9min from this post.
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

your generated card is slightly too wordy, i would need to deduct points for not being concise.
      It's equally wordy to the cards its based off of.
      Fruit of Symeon, for example, has virtually identical text(slightly different effects but the same concept), except it is an action so it doesn't come into play. I suppose I could make these actions, but that removes the tie to the feaster eggs.

I could've split it into 3 different fool's eggs, but that felt unnecessary for the card.

Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

It's equally wordy to the cards its based off of.Fruit of Symeon, for example, has virtually identical text[...]
      that's the version from the main site, which got changed before it was in the game:

Being concise is one of the judging criteria.

Being concise is one of the judging criteria.
      But again. 5 lines of text, to provide an opposite component to the five lines of text on the card it's mirroring.

It would make the card fit less if I were to remove text from it. I'm not denying it's a large card, but if you have a card that is based off of a large card that is trying to provide almost a 'mirror' to the large card... it makes sense for it to be a large card. And it doesn't cross the '7 lines of text' threshold that is the soft limit for a Hex card.

I'm just explaining WHY I did it the way I did, I can't change the way you judge it, but I'm not going to ruin the thematics or effectiveness of the card simply to make it concise. If you choose to hold that against me, it's your contest and that's completely fair. :)

Edit: Also holiday cards are often where they choose to 'break the rules' when it comes to lengthy cards(Entrath Settlers anyone?)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

Questions about entries and one day before the end of the contest warning. YOU can still add entries!

Prankster Plums

This entry is no longer relevant, as I made a new one that better fits the design constraint.

That said, the Prankster Plums play an April Fool's prank on the enemy champion by boobytrapping their cards. That's the April Fool's link.
    • Debon'hare
      3 [WILD]
      Troop - Shin'hare
      When this exhausts for the first time each turn, ready Debon'hare and each troop that exhausted at the same time.
      2/2

Commentary:
      I don't like cards that are too narrow, so ideally, I've worded this ability so that it would trigger on a normal attack.

That being said, this is especially good with both Concubunny and Egg Hunt. Even more so with the equipment I've got in mind:
      - Lovers' link (trinket)If exactly one other troop exhausts when Debon'hare exhausts, summon a Battle Hopper.
      - "Best Dad" mug (weapon)If exactly two other troops exhaust when Debon'hare exhausts, those troops and Debon'hare all get +1/+1.
    • Honorable mentions:

Eraia - Fool's Fowl
      1: concise - The created card is too wordy, otherwise fine.
      2: Theme: April Fool's - A fowl that is a fool, i guess.
      3: Good synergy

Zyblen - Galthlin's Grift
      1: Concise - yes
      2: Theme: April Fool's - barely. Grifting is not something that happens on this day more often than usual... unless you meant to use graft, in which case it would have failed the theme.
      3: Synergy - would work nicely to remove the surplus fruits before decking you.

faceremover - Prank-fest
      1: concise - yes
      2: Theme: April Fool's - what exactly is a prank-fest? at least it has prank in the name.
      3: Synergy - Best synergy. not only does it work extremely well, it also isn't useless on it's own.
      This would have been the third place if you didn't already have the second

---
      3rd place - CoastCity - Feaster Ham
      2: Theme: April Fool's - an evil prank to play on someone, but then - they are shin'hare.
      3: Synergy - Works extremely well with Symeon's bounty.

2nd Place - faceremover - Dingle Prankster
      1: Concise - yes.
      2: Theme: April Fool's - He pranks people by turning them into dinglers.
      3: Synergy - yes, readying after exhaust effects is useful. Could be improved, though.

1st place - HaughtyHeretic - Bag o'Birds

2: Theme: April Fool's - putting birds into bags definitely fits.
      3: Synergy - This improves every Cheery Songbird you draw

edit: rewards sent

The post was edited 3 times, last by SlayerStronghold ().