Currating the shard pairs in packs during a draft is confusing and bad

• Currating the shard pairs in packs during a draft is confusing and bad

Opt'd to fire up my stream for my 2nd DoomBringer draft this afternoon. While I was in pact one I was talking about how I was taking certain uncommons expecting to see more of a certain common they get paired with in the following two packs.

You know, normal draft strategy stuff.

Then multiple people in my chat informed that wasn't how my draft was about to work. That Hex had used the digital design space to make this not happen like I should expect it to happen.

This is really confusing and awkward. I was put at a disadvantage because I wasn't reading every article on the Hex website. Including this as random section in a multi-part article, two weeks before the set releases is crap: hextcg.com/de/here-comes-the-doom

If you want to do something weird like this - put the information front and center in client and let drafters know what is going on before the draft starts.

If I am being completely honest I found this really frustrating. So much that I turned off the stream and rare drafted my last pack. Not sure I'm going to play more limited.

Complexity is good, but if you are going to have it - it needs to be explained to the users in client. Not on the website buried among other information in a weeks old post.
    • The idea in this particular format seems ok for me, you draft your first two colors on the first pack, then you go for the third one in the second. It's a way to give some predictability. Since the third pack is a normal one, you'll get some more prismatic cards on that one if you need it. (And I'll find myself running way less prismatic cards than I thought I would in my drafts).

But, this is a rules change, and should be clarified in game. I do agree with that. And on that tone, a lot more of information should be on the game that currently it isnt and I feel is both a wasted opportunity and in some cases even bad communication, since not even a link to the news or the forum is there.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • So my feedback on this is that, yes the information could be made more available BUT I don't know how exactly I'd go about communicating it.

I say this from a standpoint of someone who teaches games for a living; the more narrow a piece of information is the less useful it is to your average player. This particular piece of information is somewhat narrow and is most relevant to players that are experienced. Information like this has potential to go over a player's head in terms of skill level and could lead to extra additional mental and visual clutter, which takes away from their experience in a noticeable way. Additional the amount of space it takes to adequately explain / communicate this is considerable given that it is a somewhat complex / unusual system from the norm. As a final note if presented properly to a player who isn't at that level it could lead them to investigate what it means and raise the bar for themself.

-They could do something like add it into the rules jumble in client that comes up when you select draft in the battlegrounds screen, but that is already such a mess that adding it in there is the equivalent to burying it.
      -Putting it as a sticky on the forums might help but only for people who actually use the forums. The explanation on the original post that goes over this I felt did a pretty good job but that post has low visibility and this information was buried in it.
      -Pinning it to the front page of the Hex website might be the best option, they could add some sort flair even to make it feel "look at this cool innovative thing Hex is doing with this set." Then there could be a redirect in client that is something along the lines of "This draft format follows some special rules, for more information click here."
      -Lastly if you're dead set on getting something in client there is probably some sort of way of creating a pictogram that conveys the most relevant points in an easy to assimilate manner with a "learn more here" link for the nitty gritty.

That said, while I get that it was a feel bad moment of discovery for Jeff. I still feel that to the average player this particular information is not actually that relevant.
    • I agree completely. This type of stuff needs to be communicated in-client. Hex can't rely on their community or the website exclusively to let people know these types of major things.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Funktion wrote:

So my feedback on this is that, yes the information could be made more available BUT I don't know how exactly I'd go about communicating it.
      I join the draft / my draft starts. A broadcast message window appears on my screen:

"Looks like this is your first draft of doombringer. We've changed up how the contents of some of your packs are for drafting this set. Your first will include X and your second pack will include Y. The third pack will be unmodified If you have any questions, this is further explained [hyperlink]"

It isn't exactly rocket science.

The reason I find this change most offensive is because it was putting me at a disadvantage without me even being aware of it.

At least when we have a client short coming of not being able to see what a "verdict" is, I can google "hex shards of fate verdicts" and find the answer. Here I was just behind without any knowledge until someone told me I was playing without knowing the rules of the game.
    • I don't see telling this information is that hard. You make a popup of the information on the "what will I use to pay to draft" phase with a "never show this again" option and preferably blocking the entry button so people will try to read it. If people don't read, it's their freaking fault. Also, the 5 news thing in-client can also be used to at least show the change. I know some people don't care about that part of the UI but at least show it there. Hitting X% of people is better than 0%, but anyway, a popup is most effective.
    • A popup would work pretty well. Have it be something players toggle off rather than one and done and have it show directly below the Join button (which is between rules and rewards). It avoids most of the unnecessary noise since you'd only ever see it if you were about to enter a draft. There are a couple pitfalls which are avoided if you show it before the player has actually entered or the pod has fired.
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

i like the new draft, so i have to disagree about the "is confusing and bad." part.
      Not telling players you changed the rules of the game they are playing is confusing and bad regardless of the actual limited environment.

This limited format these rules create might be great. I just know the lack of communication has left me no desire to play it.
    • I kinda just disagree with the whole "pre-determined pairings" idea. I would prefer completely random packs. Then again, I would prefer pod drafts as well, which would be much more suitable for random prismatic shenanigans. It's just annoying to take an entire pack off (or be forced into a third shard) if I have found a good two-color pairing in the first pack.
    • I haven't drafted a whole lot yet, but I really dislike the pack segregations so far. Trying to draft a 2-color deck feels extremely awkward, and I feel like it disrupts signalling through both packs one and two, leaving pack 3 a toss up for what cards in your colors are even going to show up, and what people will actually leave in the packs for you.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

I haven't drafted a whole lot yet, but I really dislike the pack segregations so far. Trying to draft a 2-color deck feels extremely awkward, and I feel like it disrupts signalling through both packs one and two, leaving pack 3 a toss up for what cards in your colors are even going to show up, and what people will actually leave in the packs for you.
      I think the intention is for you to draft a tri-shard deck. If you have shards A/B/C, then you either pick up A/B duals in pack 1 and A/C and B/C in pack 2, or A/B and A/C duals in pack 1 and B/C duals in pack 3.

I wouldn't want every prismatic set to work this way (or even necessarily set 10), but it's an interesting gimmick to try out for a set.

Agree with the rest of the thread that in-client communication is something Hex sorely needs to work on. Or at the very least, communicate in-client that you're expected to keep up with out-of-client resources if you want to be competitive.