Game Mode Idea: Singlar (aka Merc EDH)

• I would love to see Singlar in the game. I would play it a huge amount and would start recommending my friends get in the game to try it.

As for mercs and PS4 players:

-give the mercs available in the campaign to them for free
      -for the mercs in the chests/wheel spins provide them in the store for a reasonable cost
      (these numbers are just off the top of my head, they can be changed if needed)
      --Common mercs: $1.50
      --Uncommon mercs: $3
      --Rare mercs: $5
      ---These mercs would be bound to account (in case they ever get mail into the ps4 client)

-these prices might be a bit low considering how many chests need to be spun/opened to get these so I can see a case for charging more for them.
      -not sure whether this should be just for the playstation players or not, though I think I would be happier paying a set price to get the mercs and just taking them out of the chests

either way, it should be more than possible to open this up to ps4 players.
    • Sukebe wrote:

I would love to see Singlar in the game. I would play it a huge amount and would start recommending my friends get in the game to try it.

As for mercs and PS4 players:

-give the mercs available in the campaign to them for free
      -for the mercs in the chests/wheel spins provide them in the store for a reasonable cost
      (these numbers are just off the top of my head, they can be changed if needed)
      --Common mercs: $1.50
      --Uncommon mercs: $3
      --Rare mercs: $5
      ---These mercs would be bound to account (in case they ever get mail into the ps4 client)

-these prices might be a bit low considering how many chests need to be spun/opened to get these so I can see a case for charging more for them.
      -not sure whether this should be just for the playstation players or not, though I think I would be happier paying a set price to get the mercs and just taking them out of the chests

either way, it should be more than possible to open this up to ps4 players.
      people can buy mercs

that's the cost of playing a ccg

they should sell mercs in the store that are new/original tho
    • Zophie wrote:

I wanted to take a moment to share a detailed proposal for a new PVP format for Hex that is basically a version of EDH using Mercenaries a few tweaks. Shoutout to @schild for getting me excited for this idea, it's been worming through my head for a while now and I have to agree that this would be a really fun mode for Hex that shouldn't be too hard to implement since it depends on systems already in place. For this proposal we're calling the format "Singlar" as a nod to the Mercenary Sin'glar that is inspired by other singleton formats, but this name could be changed to anything HXE decides. Here's how it would work:

Singlar Deckbuilding Rules:
      • Players build their decks around a Mercenary instead of the normal Champions.
      • The Mercenary shard grid determines which colors/rarities can exist in their deck, except any number >1 becomes 1 (singleton).
      • Any Mercenary deckbuilding rules that say "Can include up to four..." are ignored, you can never have more than 1 of any non-basic resource card in your deck.
      • All other Mercenary deckbuilding restrictions must be followed.
      • All decks must have a minimum of 99 cards.
      • All PVP & PVE cards from all sets allowed, including equipment.
      • No banlist at first, but banlist can be added to as the meta dictates.
      Other Gameplay Notes:
      • Players start the game with 2x their Mercenary's starting health total.
      • Games are played Best of 1, no messing with sideboards or tournaments, just a fun outlet for crazy games.
      That's it! Really simple rules for a really fun format!

Why this would be good for Hex:
      • Give players who are bored with typical PVP formats a fun and exciting way to spend their time.
      • Allows another place for Mercenaries to be used beside Campaign, increasing their value.
      • Allows the crazy potential that PVE cards give in a PVP setting, increasing PVE card & equip value.
      • More people buying more PVP cards from past and present sets.
      • More people playing Hex.
      Minimum UI/Systems updates needed to accomplish:
      • A tab/category in the deckbuilder screen that allows Mercenary decks and tweaks the deckbuilding rules to correctly apply the format restrictions above.
      • An option on the direct Challenge feature in game to select the Singlar format and use Singlar-eligible decks.
      • An automatic buff at beginning of Singlar format games that doubles starting health for both players.
      Optional additional enhancements to improve further:
      • Random Matchmaking Queue for Singlar format.
      • Official Subforum on Hex Forums for format discussion.
      • A small committee of dedicated community members that can help manage the ban/watch lists for the format.

So there it is, "Singlar" AKA "Merc EDH" -- I hope you guys like this idea, let me know what you think! <3
      There is too many problems with your suggested format.

First off, many of the mercs are obviously balanced with their shard grid and rule changing deckbuilding text in mind. So you already have a balance issue right off the bat because some powers are balanced by their shard grid either being too weak and giving them a wide open rules or making the powers strong and then having strict deckbuilding.

Secondly, why in the world is it a 99 card deck? Should it not be 100 because there is no general? Or are you counting the merc as card 100? Seems meh either way.

Thirdly, outside of the novelty of using PVE cards in PVP, how much different will this be from a normal game of Hex. Without the completely game and deck changing effect of having a general, I just don't see this being different enough to be called a different format. This is basically just singleton Wild West.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggestions:

Make a new champion type that runs more like the player-made character where you have a charge power, like normal, and then an Mage ability that increases like it already does that summons the champion as a troop. Example:

Summer Sun
      [4 charge]: Shuffle four troops from your crypt back into your deck. They gain Radiant (like Valorous in that it adds the effect to them but gives them a random boon when they enter play).
      (6 resource start, +2 to cost per use, on mage ability line): Summon Summer Sun.
      Summer Sun
      X cost (changes by amount paid by ability)
      Champion Troop - Coyotle Warlock
      At the end of your turn, move cards with Radiant up 5 spots in the deck.
      4/6

Champion is a supertype that allows new effects to be created on cards. For example, something simple like "Champion Troops cost (X) less" to more interesting like a troop that gets stronger when the Champion on the board (think MTG lieutenant cards). Placing the general effect on the Mage line like that would eliminate the need for "partner" from MTG, as a "partner" champion would just have two different summoning effects. A Quick Example:

Puck and Balthazar
      (3 resource start): Summon Puck, Vibrant Musician
      (6 resource start): Summon Balthazar, Satyr Rock God

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ducklett ().

• Ducklett wrote:

First off, many of the mercs are obviously balanced with their shard grid and rule changing deckbuilding text in mind. So you already have a balance issue right off the bat because some powers are balanced by their shard grid either being too weak and giving them a wide open rules or making the powers strong and then having strict deckbuilding.
      The rules we suggested specifically reduce all shard grid numbers greater than 1 to equal 1. It's strictly to keep the color identity but maintain it as a singleton deck. If some mercs end up being better than others so be it, just increases demand and value of those mercs. Worst case scenario this can be addressed through the final optional bullet point with "A small committee of dedicated community members that can help manage the ban/watch lists for the format."

Also, balance isn't really a factor in a casual format with no prize support or cost for entry.
    • Zophie wrote:

Ducklett wrote:

The rules we suggested specifically reduce all shard grid numbers greater than 1 to equal 1. It's strictly to keep the color identity but maintain it as a singleton deck. If some mercs end up being better than others so be it, just increases demand and value of those mercs. Worst case scenario this can be addressed through the final optional bullet point with "A small committee of dedicated community members that can help manage the ban/watch lists for the format."
      Also, balance isn't really a factor in a casual format with no prize support or cost for entry.
      I understand the fix to the shard grid. My point is is that the balance of the powers of the mercs is in absolute correlation with the shard grid, so there are mercs who's power is in the shard grid having 4s of that are significantly neutered by a simple change of the numbers to 1.

And I think the third point of having no mechanic that is specific to the format is the one in which introduces the biggest problem.