It's Your Card - Design Vote, Round 3

• It's Your Card - Design Vote, Round 3

Which Design is your favorite? 135
        Steric (78) 58%
        Bootlace (57) 42%
      Hey Gang,

Well, that was exciting. Once again we've found ourselves deadlocked. If we would have had a stream today, we could have settled this on stream, but Jared and I are tying up some last minute Doombringer items along with some exciting stuff for the future. So instead, we'll have a runoff poll between our two finalists, Bootlace and Steric.

This poll will be going for one more week when Jared and I will be back on stream to celebrate our final winner... or if the community comes out in a tie again, we'll battle it out on stream for the final winner.

Once again, here are the final designs.

VS

Brown Fox Scout for reference

Good luck to the finalists and we'll see you in a week.
    • HEXRysu wrote:

This poll will be going for one more week when Jared and I will be back on stream to celebrate our final winner..

Outta curiosity, what's the release plan (ie, as far as how the card'll drop), and is the card still intended to be PvP-usable despite its release being delayed until after the Set 9 release?

And as far as ending up with a third round of voting, I much prefer 1v1 or exclusionary polls anyway, as they're more fair, so this outcome is a good one. :)

Now, on a more important topic:
      What does the Fox Scout say? (NSFW Warning: Non-Explicit Anime Nudity)
    • Azuchi wrote:

HEXRysu wrote:

This poll will be going for one more week when Jared and I will be back on stream to celebrate our final winner..
      Outta curiosity, what's the release plan (ie, as far as how the card'll drop), and is the card still intended to be PvP-usable despite its release being delayed until after the Set 9 release?

And as far as ending up with a third round of voting, I much prefer 1v1 or exclusionary polls anyway, as they're more fair, so this outcome is a good one. :)
      The card wasn't planned for Doombringer, cause even once we have the design, we have a lot more steps beyond the design of the card.

As a look to the future, here are some of the things we have planned:

Flavor
      Art Description
      Choose an Artist
      Artist Proofs
      Lore text

Because we have all of these steps left, we couldn't just allow for a tie and print both cards simultaneously.

We should be able to get the card in for Doombringer's followup, which will be released this summer. That is if every step of the way isn't just tie after tie after tie. ;)
    • I will be sorely disappointed if we have the chance to make our own card, and we end up just making a bunch of Brown Fox Scouts.

If I wanted to play Brown Fox Scout, I'd be putting them in my deck already.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

I will be sorely disappointed if we have the chance to make our own card, and we end up just making a bunch of Brown Fox Scouts.

If I wanted to play Brown Fox Scout, I'd be putting them in my deck already.
      For me I want a card that is about having fun yourself, not ruining your opponent's fun. I don't generally like strategies that are simply built around making sure your opponent can't play the game...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • HEXRysu wrote:

The card wasn't planned for Doombringer, cause even once we have the design, we have a lot more steps beyond the design of the card.
      As a look to the future, here are some of the things we have planned:

Flavor
      Art Description
      Choose an Artist
      Artist Proofs
      Lore text

Because we have all of these steps left, we couldn't just allow for a tie and print both cards simultaneously.

We should be able to get the card in for Doombringer's followup, which will be released this summer. That is if every step of the way isn't just tie after tie after tie. ;)
      I misinterpreted your earlier comments as indication you planned to release with this set, which seemed ambitious even before delays. That makes a lot more sense. :)
    • Biz wrote:

do i vote for the brown fox scout card so that the brown fox scout bugs get fixed or do i vote against the brown fox scout card because of brown fox scout bugs?

:?: :/ :?:

Maybe, as they polish it up, we'll get extra lucky and there'll be a second equip piece for Brown Scouts thrown in as a bonus. Or maybe ones for the created card which affect Brown Scouts. Either way, even as-is, it makes for an intriguing addition to wild-sapphire resource-based deck builds. ^^

Meanwhile, the other card strikes me as just being a gimmick that'll either annoy everyone in pvp, or be a one-off in PvE that most players'll grow tired of after a few matches. Extra emphasis on champion transformation is certainly interesting to contemplate, but I'm not sure this design is the way to go about that.
    • I'm personally just not that excited about transforming my opponent into a random champion. Here's how I view the possibilities.

They could become ANY champion - The risk of transforming them into something super powerful like an ascended champion is too much. No way I ever play this card.

They could become another champion they could have selected before the match - Pretty decent in immortal, seems pretty junk everywhere else. Did they already get to use their champ power? Minimal effect then. Did I transform them from draw 2, take 4 into +2 atk on two dudes? Ok, well the net change here is I spent a card for a dude that's probably pretty mediocre statwise given his deploy power to make my opponent have 2 less cards, 4 more life and the ability to +2 atk two guys. Primordial Cockatwice does this for 3, without being susceptible to counters and provides what's pretty much guaranteed to be a better body later on.

I understand it's a cool effect. In immortal where the champion is often really significant it's even quite disruptive a lot of the time. But in standard and limited it's just pretty unexciting for me.

On the other hand I absolutely love being able to play shards off the top of my deck and knowing what's on the top of my deck. I also love BFS. So Steric all the way.
    • hm is the design idea not just an idea so the cards created could be copies of this card as well if it can be played from the top of ur deck?^^'
      so don t get tied up into the "just" brownfox scouts?^^' its more like the idea of getting more cards u can play from the top of ur deck.
      and i like that mechanic since it counters the hand destruction mechanic quiet well :P
    • I like both cards, but I like Steric's a bit more because I love me some quick troops and Winter Moon with scouts was my first "real "deck so I'm biased. If Steric's design does win, I hope that it creates AA Brown Fox Scouts. That art is so good it's the only AA card I bothered getting a playset of.
    • Refugee wrote:

I'm personally just not that excited about transforming my opponent into a random champion. Here's how I view the possibilities.

They could become ANY champion - The risk of transforming them into something super powerful like an ascended champion is too much. No way I ever play this card.

They could become another champion they could have selected before the match - Pretty decent in immortal, seems pretty junk everywhere else. Did they already get to use their champ power? Minimal effect then. Did I transform them from draw 2, take 4 into +2 atk on two dudes? Ok, well the net change here is I spent a card for a dude that's probably pretty mediocre statwise given his deploy power to make my opponent have 2 less cards, 4 more life and the ability to +2 atk two guys. Primordial Cockatwice does this for 3, without being susceptible to counters and provides what's pretty much guaranteed to be a better body later on.

I understand it's a cool effect. In immortal where the champion is often really significant it's even quite disruptive a lot of the time. But in standard and limited it's just pretty unexciting for me.

On the other hand I absolutely love being able to play shards off the top of my deck and knowing what's on the top of my deck. I also love BFS. So Steric all the way.
      While I agree with many of your concerns, I'm 99% sure that, if the card were implemented, you would only be able to transform your opponent into one of the actually selectable champions. It would be similar to how the card creation/transform pool is limited by format and does not include tokens. Ideally, ascended champs would be classified as "token" champs because they only way to get them is through card effects, much like other tokens.

Airtron's PvE concerns get even more complicated if Bootlace's card ever gets played by the AI in campaign somehow. What would the player character turn into? What about mercenaries? It seems like a major hurdle for the dev team programming this card, since PvE has a great deal of interactions that can be broken by this kind of card.

In any case, I voted for Steric's idea because I like it. Hex doesn't have future sight yet, which sounds great with fateweave.
    • Steric wrote:

Derceto wrote:

I could get behind bootlace's card if it had 'when this leaves play revert all champions'.
      Then you need to solve the problem of: What does it mean to revert champions? Reverting troops removes all damage marked on them, but I assume you wouldn't want this functionality applying to champions as well.
      Fair enough. I just don't think the change should be permanent there should be a way to get your champion back.
    • Derceto wrote:

Steric wrote:

Derceto wrote:

I could get behind bootlace's card if it had 'when this leaves play revert all champions'.
      Then you need to solve the problem of: What does it mean to revert champions? Reverting troops removes all damage marked on them, but I assume you wouldn't want this functionality applying to champions as well.
      Fair enough. I just don't think the change should be permanent there should be a way to get your champion back.
      champions are such a miniscule part of most decks, i really don't think it would be super important to get your original champion back.