Pinned Doombringer Q&A Thread

• Apologies if this was asked before.

I copied my opponent's Boon Bunch with Dreamsmoke Duplicity. At the time I copied it the Boon Bunch had flight (flight was gained from Bunch's random boon ability if that matters). However, the copied Boon Bunch that was created in my hand had lethal instead of flight. I was told this interaction is working as intended. Why is that? I thought that a copy of troop should have all modifiers to that troop.
    • DogeyMcDogeface wrote:

I'm guessing the modifier is '+1 random boon' rather than flight. Although it does seem odd that that's how the interaction works. Would be interesting to see if the same is true with Replipopper too
      Tested it with Replipopper and the boons do indeed change for the copied troop that enters my hand. Very strange interaction that I don't think makes a whole lot of sense. But at least it's consistent.

Might be one of those "bugs that became a feature" kind of things where it was too much trouble to fix so they just kept it the same through all similar interactions.
    • Biz wrote:

are we supposed to be able to increase the X in a X-cost spell (eg. treacherous search) if it gets mobilize?

the UI seems to restrict the X value for mobilize effects, but not for cost reduction effects
      After talking with R&D, I can confirm that this is working correctly. Basically, Mobilize triggers after you declare a cost for X. This means that while you can reduce how much you spend, you can't go "over" like you can with a static cost reduction effect. Lets examine this in more detail using the following scenario:

You have 5 resources open. You are playing Treacherous Search. The Treacherous Search has Mobilize from Cosmic Calling.

First, you declare your cost for Treacherous Search (max 5, as you have only 5 resources open). Then Mobilize triggers, offering to reduce that cost. If you exhaust a troop, you only spend 3 resources to get an X=5 effect. Note in this scenario that, while you can get a discount (X=5 for 3 resources), you can't go over your maximum resources.

This is different from a -cost effect which applies during the "declare a cost for x" part of this sequence. For example, a cost -2 effect would allow you to declare 7 for the Treacherous Search instead of your usual max of 5. This is because unlike Mobilize, the -cost isn't a discount applied after the fact. It is part of the cost declaration process itself.

I hope that clears things up a bit!
    • Then why can I play a consult the talons when I only have 1 resource remaining? By your logic, the game should check and see that I cannot cast consult the talons in that situation and I should not even be given the opportunity to try to cast it.

I understand there is a difference here, but in my mind at least there isn't a fundamental difference between trying to play an "uncastable" 7 cost consult and trying to play an "uncastastable" 3 cost treacherous search. Whatever part of the game that prevents you from choosing 3 for X should also prevent you from trying to play mobilize cards with cost higher than your available number of temporary resources, which would completely defeat the purpose of the mechanic.
    • BirthingPodder wrote:

Then why can I play a consult the talons when I only have 1 resource remaining? By your logic, the game should check and see that I cannot cast consult the talons in that situation and I should not even be given the opportunity to try to cast it.

I understand there is a difference here, but in my mind at least there isn't a fundamental difference between trying to play an "uncastable" 7 cost consult and trying to play an "uncastastable" 3 cost treacherous search. Whatever part of the game that prevents you from choosing 3 for X should also prevent you from trying to play mobilize cards with cost higher than your available number of temporary resources, which would completely defeat the purpose of the mechanic.
      i think the game would be less confusing if it consistently let you overpay and then reduce

although i hate the idea of mobilize being stronger because it's dumb when they keep adding free ways to make junk troops
    • BirthingPodder wrote:

Then why can I play a consult the talons when I only have 1 resource remaining? By your logic, the game should check and see that I cannot cast consult the talons in that situation and I should not even be given the opportunity to try to cast it.

I have brought your example to the team and they agree that there shouldn't be a difference. There currently *is* a difference because of how our x costs work, but we will be marking this down as a bug and investigating possible fixes for consistency.
    • So i assimilated the opponent's Sir Draxxad and instead of him losing 25 health his health total remained the same and i lost 25 health! I'm assuming this is because the card will gain control of an opponent's card before putting it in a deck. However this isn't how it's worded. Is this a bug or how the card is supposed to work?
    • DogeyMcDogeface wrote:

So i assimilated the opponent's Sir Draxxad and instead of him losing 25 health his health total remained the same and i lost 25 health! I'm assuming this is because the card will gain control of an opponent's card before putting it in a deck. However this isn't how it's worded. Is this a bug or how the card is supposed to work?
      But the very first line of Assimilate is to put into your deck. So when the "lose 25 health" trigger is put onto the chain from Sir Draxard, it is in your deck.
    • Alright, here is a strange one.

I attack with whimsy witch, which transforms back into Voice of D'endrrah. At the start of my turn, it transforms back into whgimsy witch and i draw a card while whimsy get's -2/-2 and dies. Is this intended? How do the chain of whimsy into voice work out?
    • Rolfusius wrote:

Alright, here is a strange one.

I attack with whimsy witch, which transforms back into Voice of D'endrrah. At the start of my turn, it transforms back into whgimsy witch and i draw a card while whimsy get's -2/-2 and dies. Is this intended? How do the chain of whimsy into voice work out?
      Whimsy Witch Transforms into Voice of D'endrrah and then gains a new ability "At the start of your turn, revert this." At the start of your turn, both of the abilities on Voice of D'endrrah trigger: The -2/-2 and draw a card AND the reversion effect. They go on the chain in order of top to bottom, so they resolve from bottom to top. The reversion effect is going to be at the bottom, so it resolves first, transforming the troop back into a Whimsy Witch. Then the -2/-2 and draw a card effect finally resolves. The troop reverting does not prevent this from happening.
    • Rolfusius wrote:

Alright, here is a strange one.

I don't think there is any problem here.

At the start of your turn you have a Whimsy Witch transformed into Voice of D'endrrah. So the Voice has two triggers at the start of the turn:
      • Get -2/-2.
      • Revert this.
      They both go on the chain, and they go in the order written on the card.

Since chain is Last In, First Out, the revert resolves first, changing the Voice back into a fragile 1/1. Then the -2/-2 resolves and murders the poor, clueless Witch.
    • Assassin wrote:

Both players are at 3 HP. My opponent attacks me with a Flare Sprite, I block with a Phantom. Who wins?
      Opponent wins. Triggered abilities (like Flare Sprite's) go on the hidden chain before resolving. However, state-based effects (like a player losing the game to having 0 life) get checked before and in between any abilities resolving. Therefore, your opponent wins with 3 health left and never takes damage from the Flare Sprite.
    • Today, while attacking a Siege, I stumbled upon this interaction - not sure if it is a bug or not, hence why I'm post it here:

Frostmare increases the cost of cards in opposing hands by 5.
      It also has an equipment that gives it the effect: "When an opposing champion draws a card, that card randomly gets between cost +1 and cost +5."

Strangely, both of those effects apply to shards.
      A shard hit by these effects will not actually cost you resources to play.
      However, it will have a "cost" in regard to things that care about card costs.
      That means that, for example, such a shard will trigger rowdy effects if its "cost" is sufficiently high.

So what should it be?
      Either the card costs resources, or it does not. This hybrid "your shards have a casting cost but you play them for free" seems weird and unintended to me.
    • What about resources triggering Rowdy on cards with cost -1 or lower? I know that if you get a troop with rowdy to a negative cost (such as with Scrios Forgefist or another 1-cost socketed troop with the Rowdy gem combined with multiple Sentry of Nulzann) that playing a resource will trigger rowdy. Is that interaction a bug?