Iron Maiden Doombringer

• Iron Maiden Doombringer

Greetings all,

Doombringer is about to come out, and I am super excited.

Though when previewing the cards one card stood out in theme and has a heavy iconic value.

Iron maiden.

Iron maiden is really a nice idea, lovely flavor, it has some great texts in other cards.

But Iron maiden will Never see the light of day in play.
      As someone who cares about Lore, I am requesting you give the card a buff.
      Not so much that I need to play it. But it is a Very Iconic card, to a lore theme which had great impact on Hex.
      Everyone knows candles by now, and the Lore with it.

Problem with Iron Maiden.

Iron maiden

A three threshold, legendary, four cost card.
      4 [ATTACK] 5 [DEFENSE]

With an ability which you need to pay X Health into, have to attack to activate, and for it to work have to know the cards in your opponents hands.
      So that comes down to If you have [BLOOD] [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE] you can play it, if you have Health to pay into it you can use it, if you know the cards in your opponents hands it can have an effect.
      That is if your opponent does not have some removal, or any troop with an ability which can easily crush her.

Break down:
      The threshold [BLOOD] [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY] is very heavy to pull, even in this format. It should grant additional abilities.
      4 cost is okey for a 4 [ATTACK] 5 [DEFENSE] "rare" , but it just means she does not fall to a strangle.
      Paying Health is directly tuned into your win / loss condition, a very heavy resource to use.
      Legendary means she is a very hard card to get, meaning more she should be loaded with abilities or a few powerful ones.

Anyone who is going to get Iron maiden in a pack now, will be nice art, nice text but useless.

This weekend is the release, you still have time to change this.
      For something so Iconic and which is title'd as "Iron maiden" with such awesome art work, please for the love of Enrath do her justice.
      It is like we really want to make an awesome card, but we are very afraid of making her to strong.
      Then making her not worthy of play.

Giving her Swift strike and Speed on top of how she is now, would be a good idea.
      Then at least you have a chance to use or want to use her powers.
      Swift strike so she can hold her own, speed so you have a chance to surprise and use her ability when you have an opening.

You do not want to have an Iron maiden which is a weak card, people feel bumped about to draw in their packs.

Please, she is an awesome icon, lore piece, artwork, make her something people want to play.

Thank you for your time,
    • Just to note that I am on the verge of pulling out my hair.
      That something so Beautiful in Lore, in Art as Iconic is this card called an Iron Maiden.

Would get wasted.

She needs to stand her ground with swift strike to be of any use.
      I am gonna stop now, I am just to frustrated.
      I cannot take beautiful things going to waist.
    • I would prefer lifedrain so she can use her ability multiple times and not be able to kill yourself with risky gambles as badly, but speed or swiftstrike would be good too.

Now I don't know how decks will look like and how Iron Maiden will stack up, but it looks like she's in an awkward spot against control and aggro decks. Aggro will either dump their hand by then or put you low enough that paying health will not be available and control will probably be able to take her out on sight. I hope I'm wrong because she's dripping in cool points and the original Scion is crazy, but I'm honestly not seeing Maiden seeing play.

Oh, and artic naiad can still use something too to not be 31 Plat filler.
    • Too late now that spoilers are out and set's release is imminent--as this is a PVP card, don't expect to see any further changes made from what has been spoiled. Equipment might give the Iron Maiden some of those extra perks, but for PVP purposes what you see is what you get.
    • That's what the Cult gets for messing with a good thing. They turn a beautiful card with amazing art and a fun effect into a garbage legendary that nobody wants.

That'll teach them for meddling.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Can't but agree, any 2 of Speed, Swiftstrike and Lifedrain seem like flavorful choices for her.

A bit apples to oranges, but compare this to Exalted Pathfinder- which are you more likely to win the game with if you start your turn with it in play? And which is easier to get into play? Not saying she needs to be overly pushed, but it is a bit silly how unexciting she is to play.
    • In a set review by a noted streamer it was made clear that as written she is extreamly over coated for her ability stats. Should she have had life drain (to counteract her ability) she could likely see a greater possibility of play. As printed she is a nice piece of artwork in your collection that is unlikely to see play outside of “thematic” decks.
    • Swiftstrike would change nothing, with lifedrain you could just remove the drawback of this amazing ability, and speed would make her super powerful.

I think she is absolutely fine as she is, good flavour, not gamebreaking on her own and still very powerful in the hands of a capable player.

And pls don't judge troops with the dies to removal argument, you can compare it to other troops with that argument but not in a vacuum.
    • vestris wrote:

And pls don't judge troops with the dies to removal argument
      I'm not an expert, but I think peoples' problem is that if she dies to even basic speed removal within a turn, she has absolutely no impact on the board.

Most constructed viable troops have a way to have turn 1 impact, from what I've seen looking over constructed decks. Whether it be card draw from pathfinder, combining bride with shard/removal to steal troops, etc.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I'm on the side of her needing to have something like Smircking Trickster's effect, and/or lifedrain, to at least make her usable. Since you have to risk Maiden AND your own health on what is essentially a roulette wheel, right now she's not even particularly viable in limited beyond being a 4/5 body. The only use of her I can see for her at present is if you're using Thk'tatcha as champion, or have a lot of Lost in the City, but that's such a narrow range of usage that you basically have to build your entire deck around it, which will really screw you over if you happen to not draw her.
      Flair of Fortune
      Cost 3, 3/3, Unique, colorless
      When an opposing champion plays a card, there's a 33% chance to summon a Kismet's Omen.

"Fortune favors all in equal measure. But perhaps not at the same time."
    • I know, and so is Vampire Princess, Vampire King, Dark Heart (better against basic speed removal) and most of those are super powerful and easier to kill. I am super happy that they resorted to powerful legendaries that don't just win the game but are flavourful and strong but need work.

Also Pathfinder and Bride are 4-5 drops if you want them to affect the gamestate, you need to build around or they dont have that immediate impact.
    • History will tell, I suppose- my guess is that she won't win any tournaments.

If we look at other 4-drop troops without immediate board impact, there are only a very scant few that have seen constructed play afaik.

Lets see, I can actually only find 8 four-drops that I've seen in competative situations that you drop on t4 and need to ready with in order to get the full effect.

Jankbot - the effect is much more powerful, and I don't believe it was a tournament winning deck.
      Killipede - actually wins the game unless answered, easier to put into play. I think this might be close to where the Iron Maiden is in power-level, although the Iron Maiden doesn't actually finish the game as much as enable you to do it.
      Vampire King - poweful defensive troop vs aggro, evasive threat.
      High Infinitrix - same as above, with some added combo potential if you have extra mana
      Heart of Embers - game ending potential, more powerful if you have extra mana when cast
      Eldritch Dreamer - evasive threat, drew cards for free rather than discarding at high cost.
      Animus of Nulzann - enables massively poweful combo, easy access to cost reduction and same-turn application of power.
      Wrathwood Master Moss - built-in protection on huge body

I have probably missed some, but IMO all of them have better payoff than the Iron Maiden, in that their effects are better at winning the game than her's, and all of them require less setup to play than she does.

I sorta hope I'm wrong, because she is pretty cool.
    • Legan wrote:

I'm on the side of her needing to have something like Smircking Trickster's effect, and/or lifedrain, to at least make her usable. Since you have to risk Maiden AND your own health on what is essentially a roulette wheel, right now she's not even particularly viable in limited beyond being a 4/5 body. The only use of her I can see for her at present is if you're using Thk'tatcha as champion, or have a lot of Lost in the City, but that's such a narrow range of usage that you basically have to build your entire deck around it, which will really screw you over if you happen to not draw her.
      But it is not a gamble, it is an educated guess, that is of course better in constructed, but you can always just choose a card cost of a card you would lose too. And that does not need to be an expensive card. You can also run it alongside lifedrain troops and other discard cards or stuff that lets you see your opponents hand.
    • vestris wrote:

Legan wrote:

I'm on the side of her needing to have something like Smircking Trickster's effect, and/or lifedrain, to at least make her usable. Since you have to risk Maiden AND your own health on what is essentially a roulette wheel, right now she's not even particularly viable in limited beyond being a 4/5 body. The only use of her I can see for her at present is if you're using Thk'tatcha as champion, or have a lot of Lost in the City, but that's such a narrow range of usage that you basically have to build your entire deck around it, which will really screw you over if you happen to not draw her.
      But it is not a gamble, it is an educated guess, that is of course better in constructed, but you can always just choose a card cost of a card you would lose too. And that does not need to be an expensive card. You can also run it alongside lifedrain troops and other discard cards or stuff that lets you see your opponents hand.
      My guess would be that she's not particularly constructed viable. Others have already listed the reasons why that would be, both here and in the spoiler thread, and to be perfectly honest, if it's a card you would lose to, then since the opponent has a turn before Maiden can do anything, they will likely either just remove her, or play said card outright, since all the "best" constructed cards seem to hit the board by turn 4 at the moment.
      Flair of Fortune
      Cost 3, 3/3, Unique, colorless
      When an opposing champion plays a card, there's a 33% chance to summon a Kismet's Omen.

"Fortune favors all in equal measure. But perhaps not at the same time."
    • Immediate board impact is getting more and more important to the game. Vampire king reigned supreme in a time there were very few quick actions to deal with it. This standard rotation has multitudes of cards that deal with cards that don't impact the board immediately. The biggest offenders being runebind and Hawkward turn