Doombringer Pack Sleeves

• Refugee wrote:

I know a lot of people will complain, but I think this is great.

You can trade some EV for a chance at sweet sleeves. Don't want the sleeves? Doesn't hurt you at all. Want max EV? Well, time to make a choice then.

The only small problem is it'd probably just be better at certain break points (every 10 packs get a sleeve) but that may be a tech limitation. Just hate to see the really unlucky guy complaints.

But even as someone that doesn't open many packs outside of tournaments I'm pretty happy to see this.
      the problem is... this sleeves are way far from being sweet

there are only ****ing trees on them, just add some motion blur and few leaves flying and you have pretty great bait for much wider target audience
      instead of that hexent just gonna use existing assets, add records to sleeves collection in the db, and add few strings to the pack opening method. well played.

oh, and don't forget this horribad hex logo on the pretty cool arts as well, because, you know, someone definitely gonna steal em, so we need this watermark!
    • Gregangel wrote:

KozHex wrote:

Before people complain too much about the non-tournament thing, remember that that this is absolutely free and something they didn't have to do.
      It is not free, It cost you on average the cost of 10 packs, not used as currency to enter gauntlet (evo, sealed or draft) for each sleave... this is A LOT !
      It's free for everyone that was opening packs up outside of tournaments already.

And for the players that weren't opening packs up outside of tournaments, now you have the option (and I know some people hate choices) to crack them outside of tournaments for the sleeves.
    • Yasi wrote:

Nobody is losing anything from this addition so we'll see how it'll affect the price of packs, if at all.
      I know I've been intermittent lately - but if Yasi is the voice of reason in a thread you know it must be bad.

If you don't like opening packs outside of events don't. This is a bonus to encourage people to just crack packs. If the bonus doesn't seem worth while to you - don't do it.

Let people like things. If something doesn't appeal to you, shrug and move on.
    • Shinshire wrote:

oh, and don't forget this horribad hex logo on the pretty cool arts as well, because, you know, someone definitely gonna steal em, so we need this watermark!
      To be fair, the logo is faded and much less intrusive than it is on most sleeves. So that is a step in the right direction.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Shinshire wrote:

Refugee wrote:

I know a lot of people will complain, but I think this is great.

You can trade some EV for a chance at sweet sleeves. Don't want the sleeves? Doesn't hurt you at all. Want max EV? Well, time to make a choice then.

The only small problem is it'd probably just be better at certain break points (every 10 packs get a sleeve) but that may be a tech limitation. Just hate to see the really unlucky guy complaints.

But even as someone that doesn't open many packs outside of tournaments I'm pretty happy to see this.
      the problem is... this sleeves are way far from being sweet
      there are only ****ing trees on them, just add some motion blur and few leaves flying and you have pretty great bait for much wider target audience
      instead of that hexent just gonna use existing assets, add records to sleeves collection in the db, and add few strings to the pack opening method. well played.

I dunno, I think they look pretty sweet bro

If you don't like them you don't have to collect them lol
    • Eraia wrote:

Blackwood wrote:

By that same measure, however, if they could be opened in the course of regular tournament / draft / etc. play then it is essentially a 'players already playing those modes don't need to do anything different' mode, while there is previously no good reason whatsoever to open packs outside of cracking them for a regular tournament / draft / etc.
      It seems really strange to me to have HOW you open the pack change its contents, honestly. A pack's a pack. How you open it SHOULDN'T affect the contents.
      Are you aware of buy a box promo that other companies have ????
    • Portensio wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Blackwood wrote:

By that same measure, however, if they could be opened in the course of regular tournament / draft / etc. play then it is essentially a 'players already playing those modes don't need to do anything different' mode, while there is previously no good reason whatsoever to open packs outside of cracking them for a regular tournament / draft / etc.
      It seems really strange to me to have HOW you open the pack change its contents, honestly. A pack's a pack. How you open it SHOULDN'T affect the contents.
      Are you aware of buy a box promo that other companies have ????
      buying a box isn't forcing me to open those packs outside of a draft
    • Good idea but poor execution.
      Also..dont stop there.

Lets examine the different options (having them in tournament packs or outside tournament only).

Both options increase the overall number of packs being opened (incentives work as it turns out...ask wizards of the coast ;) ).

Having the sleeves only in out of tournament packs increases the number of overall packs more I gues since those packs cant be used for tournaments and therefore you need to buy extra packs for tournaments. At least in theory...

The drawback of this is already clear. It pisses people off. Maybe to the point that it actually doesnt result in more overall packs opened than having the sleeves also be in tournament packs. More importantly the "pissing people off"-part was completely 100% avoidable.

Make it for all packs. Still works as extra incentive. Then look at the results and maybe add more stuff (foils, sketch cards, codes). I really dont understand why you needed to include the "pissing people off"-part.
    • Katkilla wrote:

It makes cracking packs actually the tiniest bit exciting. I've personally never cracked a pack and I've been here since alpha. I'm still not going to crack packs, but nobody is losing anything here. It's an added reward for free.

No player like you and me lose something : the possibility to get these sleeves.
      And HexE lose an opportunity to have a nice carrot to maintain limited game activity high longer...
    • Gregangel wrote:

Katkilla wrote:

It makes cracking packs actually the tiniest bit exciting. I've personally never cracked a pack and I've been here since alpha. I'm still not going to crack packs, but nobody is losing anything here. It's an added reward for free.
      No player like you and me lose something : the possibility to get these sleeves.
      And HexE lose an opportunity to have a nice carot to maintain limited game activity high longer...
      And how many thousands of card art ingame is there that has not been turned into a sleeve and probably will never be, but all could be? The value of this "possibility" is basically zero.
    • i'm gonna try to make this point as concisely as possible

Pretend tickets don't exist, because they don't figure into this. Those packs are special (i.e. free), so they are excluded.

If I buy a pack from the store, it should 100% of the time have the same possible contents as any pack from the store. If I open it or play with it, it should be the exact same pack.

What is being presented here is an opportunity cost. Such an opportunity cost makes no goddamn sense.

I personally don't care about sleeves, I've been using the same one for months.

But you've turned a feelgood thing into a feelbad thing for no reason whatsoever.

Why?
    • Damascus wrote:

I dunno, I think they look pretty sweet bro

If you don't like them you don't have to collect them lol
      That's the problem, this "feature" targets only 2 types of ppl:
      whales-collectors (how many of those do we have, btw? 5? 10?) and ppl cracking packs (many of us gonna do that at the start of set X anyway, with or without the sleeves), but 2 weeks after the new set almost noone gonna do that.

"doesn't hurt anyone" arguement. hell yeah, we, not interested in the sleeves, are safe.
      but it does encourage any1 to crack packs as well
    • schild wrote:

i'm gonna try to make this point as concisely as possible

Pretend tickets don't exist, because they don't figure into this. Those packs are special (i.e. free), so they are excluded.

If I buy a pack from the store, it should 100% of the time have the same possible contents as any pack from the store. If I open it or play with it, it should be the exact same pack.

What is being presented here is an opportunity cost. Such an opportunity cost makes no goddamn sense.

I personally don't care about sleeves, I've been using the same one for months.

But you've turned a feelgood thing into a feelbad thing for no reason whatsoever.

Why?
      I mean... no reason whatsoever is pretty far off the mark. Packs cracked outside of tournaments make Hex about twice as much as packs cracked in tournaments assuming rational actors. It's realistically not quite twice as much, but still a significant difference.