CARD DESIGN CONTEST: March 12th - March 15th, 2018

• CARD DESIGN CONTEST: March 12th - March 15th, 2018

The Rules:
      Design one or more cards that meet the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your
      fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most. This contest is a little short since I want the winners to be able to draft with their prizes - I"ll make my decision Thursday evening ~10pm EST.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Design a card that does something just for being in your deck. Maybe it's a downside associated with a extra powerful card... or an upside that helps it come into play. You must include this in its text: "Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, ..."

Examples:
      Chaotic Murmurs
      Feralroot Jaguar
      Ethereal Healer

Judging Criteria:

Here's what I focus on in judging, in order of priority:
      • Gameplay creativity - Create something interesting and fun to play with or against.
      • Elegance - The card's text should be easy to understand.
      • Balance - Make sure the design is not unfair to play against.
      • Flavor - how well does it fit into the story of hex.
      Rewards

1st:
      x1 Frostheart Pack
      x2 Dead of Winter Packs

2nd:
      x1 Frostheart Pack
      x1 Dead of Winter Packs
    • Name: Level
      Cost: 3
      Threshold Requirement: [DIAMOND] [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE] [WILD]
      Type: Troop - Necrotic Warlock
      Faction: [UNDERWORLD]
      Rarity: Rare
      Abilities: Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, gain a random threshold.
      5 /5
      Favor Text: I asked you to bring my a level. Not a necrotic named Level. - Sneaky Dwarf
    • The Secret Plan
      Artifact - Troop
      1/1
      Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, create a Deadline and put it into play under your control.
      At the start of your turn, if this is in your deck and a Deadline you control has 15 or more preparation counters, transform this into The Secret Weapon.

Some assembly required.

Deadline
      Constant
      At the start of your turn, this gains a Preparation counter.
      [X] -> Add a preparation counter.

The Secret Weapon
      Artifact - Troop
      6/6
      While this is in your deck, if a Deadline you control gains preparation counters, this gets +X/+X equal to the number of preparation counters gained, and a random boon.

Finished it with time to spare!
    • resource1

Gain [1/1].
      Gain a charge.
      Gain [BLOOD] or [WILD]

Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, each opponent sees 2 opening hands and can choose which one to start with.

Deckbuilding: You can include an unlimited amount of these in a deck.

resource2

Gain [1/1].
      Gain or or [DIAMOND]
      Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, each opponent sees 3 opening hands and can choose which one to start with.

Deckbuilding: You can include an unlimited amount of these in a deck.
    • Having placed in the previous contest is probably the kiss of death for this one, but because I like designing:

Eternal Void (uncommon)
      Basic Action

Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, void a random card in opponent's deck

Void a random card in opponent's crypt, then draw a card

Do not embrace the void, make your foe embrace the void...

Gaze into the Void (trinket)
      Eternal Void instead says "Void a random card in opponent's deck, then draw a card"

The idea of the card is to generate a small amount of random pain on an opponent before play, a simple game effect and it replaces itself in your hand when played. A mono-blood cantrip.
    • Weapon Omega
      Artifact
      [SPELLSHIELD]
      Before the start of the game if this is in your deck put it on the bottom of your deck.
      [EXHAUST] :Deal 10 damage to each opponent. Void 3 random opposing cards.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • Kismet's Own
      Cost: 3
      Legendary Constant
      Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, you may choose which player goes first.
      When you draw this, you lose 3 health.
      Coins of Kismet that you play trigger their effects twice before being voided.
      "He asked me for luck. He didn't specify good or bad." - Kismet, Primal of Luck

Crawling Rot
      4 [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Rare Action
      Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, put a copy of this into your opponent's deck.
      At the start of your turn, while this is in your deck, bury a random card from your deck.
      Choose a card in a crypt and play it for free.
      "Some things are worth rescuing from inevitable decay." - Lord Blightbark

Edit: Coins of Kismet play immediately upon being drawn, for free. Adjusted wording to actually trigger the doubling effect. This is distinct from the Coins of Kismet equipment, which creates two coins instead of one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zyblen ().

• Miss Fortune
      Cost 4 [SAPPHIRE] [BLOOD]
      Legendary Troop - Human Chaostouched Unique

Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, draw one card less for your starting hand, reveal your hand to your opponent, then your opponent Fateweave your deck, then draw a card. Repeat this for mulligans.

At the end of your turn, Fateweave your opponent's deck.

5/5

"She was always an outcast, both loathed and feared by her peers, because wherever she went, misfortune followed her, in the Lost City she found friends who did not only accept her curse, but embraced it."

Equipments
      Unlucky Coin Trinket. Your Miss Fortunes instead have "Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck each player draw one card less for their starting hand, reveal their hands to their opponent, then each player fateweaves their opponent's deck. Repeat this for mulligans.

Umbrella of Misfortune Weapon. Your Miss Fortunes have [SAPPHIRE] [BLOOD] Draw a card, Fateweave your opponent's deck

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lunavi: EDIT: Edited this to count for mulligans as well. ().

• So not entirely Entrathian flavor... but I was looking at the spoilers of the different Enders and an odd though popped into my head: right now, Entrath really needs a hero that is really good at eating round, pellet-shaped objects.

Pac
      Troop - Avatar of Hunger
      ----
      Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, create and put Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde into a random opponent's deck.

(1) : Put target Spirit an opponent controls into that opponent's deck. This gets +2 / +2 and gains all boons that the targeted Spirit had. Then increase the cost of this ability by (2).
      ----
      5 [ATTACK] / 5 [DEFENSE]

And here's the cards that Pac creates that goes into the opponent's deck.

Blinky
      3 [RUBY]
      Troop - Spirit
      ----
      When you draw this, play this for free. Then, draw a card.

Speed
      ----
      5 [ATTACK] / 1 [DEFENSE]
      Pinky
      3 [DIAMOND]
      Troop - Spirit
      ----

Steadfast
      ----
      2 / 6
      Inky
      3 [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Spirit
      ----

Flight
      ----
      3 / 2
      Clyde
      3 [WILD]
      Troop - Spirit
      ----

Crush
      ----
      4 / 4
    • Dopple Agent
      0 [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Shapeshifter
      0 [ATTACK] /1 [DEFENSE]

Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, secretly swap this card with another non-Dopple Agent troop in an opposing deck and secretly transform this card into that troop. The original owner of this card can see it if it is in an opposing hand. When this secretly transformed card declares an attack on its original owner, reveal its original form and it changes controller.
      When this card enters the crypt of their owner's opponent(s) or changes controller during play, revert it and summon a Mole Hunter for their owner's opponent(s).

"I spy with my eye, a handsome agent who is oh so sly."

Mole Hunter
      2 [DIAMOND] [WILD]
      Troop - Mole
      0 [ATTACK] /4 [DEFENSE]

1 [EXHAUST] : Destroy the top 4 troops of your deck who do not belong to you.
      When this card battles a troop whose original name is Dopple Agent, destroy it without dealing combat damage.

"I spy with my eye, a lie and an agent who is gonna die!"
    • Gas Giant
      3 Cost [WILD] [RUBY]
      Rare Troop - Ender
      Before the start of the game, if this is in your deck, add 2 Swamp Gas to your deck.
      Crush

When this deals damage to an opposing champion, two random cards in your deck get "When you draw this, create a swamp gas and put it into your hand"
      2/3

Comprised of the lower halves of some of Entrath's most unpleasant denizens, the Gas Giant is not loud in its passing, but it is certainly lethal.

(For art, this would be an ender that is kind of a slimy green colour with a bunch of troll and giant asses sticking out of it)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

• Even with the short contest, we've got a ton of great cards here.

I've included my take on all the submissions here... but with no further ado, let's start with the winners:

1st - Frostheart and 2x Dead of Winter

Gas Giant
      by Eraia
      This card has it all, it's fun, it's topical, and who doesn't like filling their decks with Swamp Gas!? Excellent design... even though it was barely in by the deadline ;)

2nd - Frostheart and 1x Dead of Winter

Pac
      by Arcanyx
      Beautiful. Pretty intense up-sides and down-sides, but I particularly like all the other shards coming together to work against Blood... but they'd just better be able to deal with Pac or he'll gobble them all up.

3rd place - Frostheart pack

Eternal Void
      by CastleAnthrax
      I really like the tradeoff here. You'd be pretty sad to get these in your starting hand, but then you'll just have to make the most out of starting with a bit of extra mill.

4th & 5th place - Dead of Winter pack

Level
      by invinible
      Really solid straightforward card that enables 5-shard. Letting a person start with 4 random thresholds out of PvE might be too strong if there are other 5-shard-themed cards in that set.

Weapon Omega
      by SlayerStronghold
      Cool combo piece with fairly inventive ways to surface (fateweave, Sapphire ways to fill in behind, and Wild ways to bring it into crypt). It strikes me as fairly balanced and would be fun to build around.

Other entries - my 2 cents :)

The Secret Plan
      by Firellius
      I like the mini-game, but think the downside of not making the deadline is too harsh. Might be more fun if when you "missed" the deadline and let the plan come into your hand, you could send it back into your deck for some mana, costing you tempo and a card. As is it would just sit in your hand it would be a very sad reminder.

Resources 1 and 2
      by Biz
      Neat concept... and tradeoff. I'd be interested in what is tying these two mechanics together. Why do I get double resources if I let my opponent take the best of two hand?

Kismet's Own
      by Zyblen
      I like the idea, but think it's too good - perhaps even for PvE. Getting to go first just for having a single card should cost more. This would make me want to fiddle more with the Coins of Kismet - one of the funnest cards in Hex in my opinion :)

Crawling Rot
      by Zyblen
      Insidious. The symmetry of putting an exact copy in the other dude's deck is really neat. It's there to taunt them if they aren't playing blood. I'm inclined to think of this as a PvE only card since it's pretty strong, like starting with 4 Ghastly Exchanges in play for free.

Miss Fortune
      by Lunavi
      Lots of good ideas here... I think too many. The card tells a cool story - a person cursed by Kismet that find that she can make her own luck my making certain people be even less lucky than her. That being said, there's a lot going on here. Fateweaving the opponent every turn is very strong since you could prohibit them from ever getting a resource or non-resource for the rest of the game - brutal. It's a good thing your downside is equally brutal - let your opponent screw you at the very start of the game. Still, there needs to be an "out" for the opponent to deal with her rather than just drawing shards for the rest of the game while you recover, stabilize, then win.

Dopple Agent
      by HaughtyHeretic
      I love the flavor here - my concern is that it is too complex. The Dopple component is very neat, but takes a while to understand. While the Mole Hunter is a fun and flavorful addition, it gets lost on a card that already takes 3 readings to understand (for me anyway).

Thanks, all! Prizes out.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Shylba ().

• Shylba wrote:

1st - Frostheart and 2x Dead of Winter

Gas Giant
      by Eraia
      This card has it all, it's fun, it's topical, and who doesn't like filling their decks with Swamp Gas!? Excellent design... even it it was barely in by the deadline
      Thank you so much - I'm glad you liked it! :)

Honestly, I was originally COMPLETELY stumped. I had no idea what to do for your contest. For some reason, when I read the change to the judging time, something clicked in my mind and inspiration struck!

Edit: I also love that I won a contest by submitting a giant ball of troll asses. ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • CastleAnthrax wrote:

Thanks! It's always a fun exercise.
      Yeah, i wish there were more of these ...

how about without the prizes - as a forum game?

According to dino the best place for forum games is "either General Discussion or Events and Contests", now that Off-Topic no longer exists.

Interest check - who would play a "Design the next card" game: Basically - you design a card according the previous poster's design constraints and give a new design for the next one.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri

The post was edited 1 time, last by SlayerStronghold ().