Possible Solution to The PS4-Players-Not-Having-InGame-Chat Problem

• Possible Solution to The PS4-Players-Not-Having-InGame-Chat Problem

Let me preface this by saying i'm stupid when it comes to programming and such, and that i have no idea if the solution i'm proposing would work/ be within Sony's rules and regulations.

So PS4 players not being able to use the ingame chat feature is definitely problematic, if facing bugs they can't get help quick enough, if they're new they may wan't help understanding aspects of the game and lacking a battle-chat is a sad affair indeed. I don't think i need to point out all the reasons why this missing chat feature is bad for hex and PS4 players in both the short and long-term. The problem being that HexEnt can't do anything about this situation because of Sony being annoying when it comes to in-game messaging/ chat features in general (that's how i understand the situation so far anyway).

But what about creating an app for android/IoS that works as a chat feature? Would it be possible (i legitimately have no idea if it is or would break the Sony rules) to create a messaging app that links to Hex and allows PS4 users to interact with the game? Would it also be possible (again i have no clue) to use the hex API so that when two people start a game together they are placed in a chat with a 3rd party messaging app? And would it be possible to link accounts on a game to a mobile app? after all Sony's jurisdiction is surely limited to the PS4 game, not app's linked to accounts of the game (after all PS4 players can talk in the forums). If all these things are possible that would be great! Most people have a smartphone within reach most of the time and the app could act as a way to chat without having to use hex but by being connected through it.

As mentioned earlier i am an idiot, and this is just a elevator pitch to solve a problem that might not work/ break Sony's annoying rules.

I can also already hear the naysayers saying "hex ent don't have the time," or "why bother with this when there's more important problems to deal with" to which i would say 3 things.

1) I'm assuming at some point features like chat is going to be updated anyway, i've not seen it updated in a while and it's far from perfect (no offence guys). IF time is going to be dedicated to updating the chat feature surely this would be a good addition.
      2) It's definitely worth it! Without the in game chat feature i wouldn't be playing hex today. The help i received when starting, the tips i got when battling and the friends i made through playing are all parts of what i love about this game; the community! (Also if hex truly is an MMO-tcg then a chat feature is essential.
      3) Maybe you're right maybe HexEnt don't have the time! So let's make one ourselves! (given that a thumbs up is given from Sony that it's cool). Again i'm an idiot but surely a messaging app like this couldn't be too hard to make right??!!

Anyway that's that. Here's to no more PS4 players being able to fully interact with the game! Although as mentioned earlier i'm an idiot and this is probably a stupid idea!
    • DogeyMcDogeface wrote:

surely a messaging app like this couldn't be too hard to make right??!!
      I said this a lot my freshman year of my comp sci degree. I was wrong a lot. :)

The issue here is as far as I understand it, I've done minimal work with the API, we can only listen, not send anything back. So if anything like this was to be made, I think it'd have to be 100% done by HXE and at that point I feel like their resources would be better spent on just getting chat working across PS4 and PC without a separate app.

I do agree that lack of communication and mail is a huge downside and is the thing I keeping my friends from trying it out. But a simple stop gap until functionality is implemented is to join a discord and chat. Sure, mail still is out of reach, but you'll be able to get tips in real time.

Edit

Also, don't call yourself an idiot so much. While, yeah, some ideas don't pan out, expressing them and asking questions doesn't make you an idiot. That's the opposite of idiocy :)
    • Blitzkind wrote:

I've done minimal work with the API, we can only listen, not send anything back.
      Well the way i pictured it working with the API was that the app receives the data telling it which two people have started a game and with that information put's them in a battle-chatroom in app.

But yeah, if it would fundamentally be too big a project then that's kinda the bottom line.

Blitzkind wrote:

Also, don't call yourself an idiot so much. While, yeah, some ideas don't pan out, expressing them and asking questions doesn't make you an idiot. That's the opposite of idiocy
      Thanks dude, i guess i'm not very confident talking about this kinda stuff with little back-ground knowledge! Glad you grapsed the concept of what i was saying haha
    • You have a fair point and a pretty original solution to it. Probably, technically is not that simple, but it might help to other things.

For example, FIFA's Fut Mode allows you to manage your account through web and mobile. You can buy and sell players there, build formations (same as having a deck builder), etc. It could be a good way for PS4 players to at least get the basics: Mail system so we can send them things to help them out.

PS4 have a clearly hard learning curve with this game, we should help them the most. (And for the love of all that holy, please enable a challenge system for them*!)

* Probably another limitation by Sony.
      Twitter: @Plotynus