Card Spotlight – A Remnant of Hope

• I'm rather disappointed that they are only releasing half of these with this set. Unless I'm mistaken, the Wells rotate out of Standard with the release of the set following Doombringer. This means that much like back in the Herofall meta, decks that play one of the shard combinations that have access to better fixing will be heavily advantaged over decks that only have wells, and that fans of any of the other five shard pairs will not have an opportunity to play with top-notch fixing in Standard. As a huge SW enthusiast, this has really dampened my hype. I mean, I'm a competitive player, I'll play what's good, but I'd hoped not to just run DW or SD for another 4 months.

It seems to me they could have released all 10 in the cycle at once, then also had all 10 in the next set as well. This would like have increased the expected value of packs opened in both sets, as these are certainly chase rares, and would have been good for players as well. Ah well.
    • ThufirHawat wrote:

I'm rather disappointed that they are only releasing half of these with this set. Unless I'm mistaken, the Wells rotate out of Standard with the release of the set following Doombringer. This means that much like back in the Herofall meta, decks that play one of the shard combinations that have access to better fixing will be heavily advantaged over decks that only have wells, and that fans of any of the other five shard pairs will not have an opportunity to play with top-notch fixing in Standard. As a huge SW enthusiast, this has really dampened my hype. I mean, I'm a competitive player, I'll play what's good, but I'd hoped not to just run DW or SD for another 4 months.

It seems to me they could have released all 10 in the cycle at once, then also had all 10 in the next set as well. This would like have increased the expected value of packs opened in both sets, as these are certainly chase rares, and would have been good for players as well. Ah well.
      I think only gems are rotating this time.
    • These are great. Balanced and powerful it feels like. Doesn't let you play infinite thresholds for free, but gives two shard decks good fixing.

That being said - I'd also like to echo that it feels like a miss to have half a resource cycle at a time again. This same thing happened with wells and frankly it sucked. It made entire shard combinations unplayable because they were just far less consistent than the others two more dual shards.

This would be fine if there wasn't a rotation - but because things rotate when we finally get all 10 (assuming the other 5 are in set 10) this means entire two shard combos will just be unplayable and then have sweet cards leave them like we did last time.

My two pence.
    • Steric wrote:

While these shards seem great for two-color decks, unless we're getting a cycle of <0/1> trishards, three color decks seem like they'll be struggling.
      Yeah, I really don't understand why they are so terrified of enabling tri shard decks with as long as this game has been out. It's like they just refuse to make quality fixing and I just don't get it. Give it a try at least once HXENT!!
    • Morwath wrote:

ThufirHawat wrote:

I'm rather disappointed that they are only releasing half of these with this set. Unless I'm mistaken, the Wells rotate out of Standard with the release of the set following Doombringer. This means that much like back in the Herofall meta, decks that play one of the shard combinations that have access to better fixing will be heavily advantaged over decks that only have wells, and that fans of any of the other five shard pairs will not have an opportunity to play with top-notch fixing in Standard. As a huge SW enthusiast, this has really dampened my hype. I mean, I'm a competitive player, I'll play what's good, but I'd hoped not to just run DW or SD for another 4 months.

I apologize if I explained this poorly. The Wells, unless I'm mistaken, rotate out of Standard along with the Herofall and Scars of War sets with the release of Set 10, the set following Doombringer. Until then, for the next four months, the two-shard combinations that have both a well and one of these new dual shards available will have much better resource bases than the two-shard combinations that do not. With the Wells rotating out with Set 10, the two-shard combinations that did not get these new dual shards will never have both Remnant and Well available in Standard.
    • ThufirHawat wrote:

Morwath wrote:

ThufirHawat wrote:

I apologize if I explained this poorly. The Wells, unless I'm mistaken, rotate out of Standard along with the Herofall and Scars of War sets with the release of Set 10, the set following Doombringer. Until then, for the next four months, the two-shard combinations that have both a well and one of these new dual shards available will have much better resource bases than the two-shard combinations that do not. With the Wells rotating out with Set 10, the two-shard combinations that did not get these new dual shards will never have both Remnant and Well available in Standard.
      Then, all I can do is agree with you.
    • Artic wrote:

Steric wrote:

While these shards seem great for two-color decks, unless we're getting a cycle of <0/1> trishards, three color decks seem like they'll be struggling.
      This, they have anti-synergy with trishard.
      I wish they had been choose a, b, or c and lose 2 health unless you have abc.
      That'd probably be too strong, but that's definitely the right idea. Since this is a prismatic set, I definitely would be more excited by a design like yours than the remnants.

However, the tri-shard decks get to play "Roots" which do actually look really good.
      Spoiled Here, for anyone that hasn't seen them: Set 9: Doombringer Spoiler Thread
    • Hacky wrote:

Is there a source for "only releasing half with Doombringer"? I don't see any mention of this in the article, and nothing else to suggest this.
      1) Logic says they wouldn't split these cards (multithreshold resources) that belong in the same cycle in two spoilers.

2) Logic says that as per the Wells, which were released half in Herofall and half in Dead of Winter Scars of War, these shards will follow suit.

So unless they go out of their way and do something unexpected, which they very well could, they will be only releasing half with Doombringer. And even if they did go for the surprise, this initial conjecture would still not be retroactively wrong, because it's correct at this time and with what info we have.

Now, if you have inside information for the contrary and you're preparing a "I told you so" moment, well...

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vroengard: Thanks for the save @Morwath. ().

• Vroengard wrote:

Now, if you have inside information for the contrary and you're preparing a "I told you so" moment, well...

My logic, is noticing that no one has actually confirmed the assumption.

But these forums are extremely toxic. No one questions potentially faulty "logic". No one questions lack of concrete information. That's because questioning the assumption is met with cynicism.

So you're telling me, it's better not to post at all, and let everyone assume. The assumption might be correct. It might not be. I have no skin in the race.