PVE Updates – Doombringer Edition

• VicMan wrote:

Burly Botanist impose some deck restriction when building before and now he is just bad ....
      I understand you change his passiv but this one is really bad

Display Spoiler
      Halls of Kukatan

Anything can be bad if you find a specific hoser card. Of course dreadlings is going to be bad against Halls of Kukatan. :P
    • KozHex wrote:

I'm really happy to see that there is quite a bit of new content being added to the game for PvE this patch, that's awesome.

Some quick questions about balancing for @HEXSirSleepy

Were any of the "explosive" starts that the AI can have addressed as well? Notably, those elites that start with cost reducing troops in play and can result in absolutely insane board states on the first or second turn? I know a lot of people have commented on that in the past, so I'm curious if that was addressed at all.

Also, any adjustments to the challenges?some of them, like the Might challenge that lets the AI start with Might Makes Right in play can lead to explosive starts sometimes as well.

Lastly, are the loot tables still skewed towards cards over equipment? Because some of the equipment is just stupidly rare and adding new rewards won't help that. Or are they intended to be that rare to generate AH activity?

There were a few opponents that had those "explosive" starts, as you put it, that we did tune down. However, we look at balancing Frost Ring as an ongoing process and if you find that there are still certain decks that just feel way too explosive on a consistent basis, let us know. It helps to have good dialog and feedback from you guys when we go to make these kinds of tweaks.

We weren't able to make adjustments to the challenge events this time around, but it's something we have on our radar. Loot tables are still setup to drop cards more often than equipment. One of the major factors there is that there are many people who want to collect 4 copies of individual cards but only need a single copy of a given equipment.

Thank you guys for all the responses!
    • Brynhildr wrote:

Anything can be bad if you find a specific hoser card. Of course dreadlings is going to be bad against Halls of Kukatan.
      Not once he plays his Oberon's Eulegy... kukatan doesn't affect his dreadlings after that ;)

HEXSirSleepy wrote:

We weren't able to make adjustments to the challenge events this time around, but it's something we have on our radar.
      Please consider letting us know when a challenge is incoming so we can make accurate strategic decisions around it. I am not expecting this to be changed overnight or anything, just... give it some thought. I feel like it would alleviate a lot of the challenge related concerns people have.

If I KNOW they're going to have Might Makes Right, I can pick a faster starting hand than I might otherwise pick. Or if they're gonna get a clash of steel randomly, I'll play more conservatively with my hand. Etc. The problem is we can't play around every challenge AND everything the enemy's deck has in every single game - there are too many challenges to accommodate for all of them every single match. And now that some of the challenges are actually pretty strong, not playing around them can be disastrous.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

• Largashbur wrote:

The deckbuilding opportunities of this card get my saliva flowing! 5-threshold cards will see a lot of play now!

What is unclear, however is, what happens with the card after you gain its thresholds? Is it discarded? Voided? Put back in deck? Shuffled back?
      Since you're just looking at the card, it's left where it is in the deck. It's not put in, because its position won't change. The contents and order of your deck are unaffected by the resource.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • I must say this article made me soooo happy.
      I started reading and was like "wow, finally some nice changes to the hard encounters".

Then I got to the "better loot, new loot, more gold, chance for old stuff, new equip" part and was like "Great!".

And still I had like 50% of the article to go...

And the new resource is so cool. And making it PVE is such a great idea. (To be honest I kind of missed the random part, but still awesome...)

And then the part with the cards from the newer sets in AZ1 and AZ2 packs, that was just a cherry on the top of this hyped cake.

I am very happy to see that all the complaints were not only heard, but also transformed in this insane add on.

It made me forget we still don't have AZ3. :D
    • First some concerns with balance tweaks to the Frost Ring:

What was not mentioned:
      Field Medic disallows an entire archetype - instant loss for decks that try to combo with direct damage.
      Reaper Bot Elite - Most decks can not recover post turn 4.
      Upgrade Technician Elite - Good luck getting to turn 4.
      Sly Huntress Elite - Very restrictive of certain archetypes (Similar to Hogarth passive)
      Elite Boss - Periwinkle - Most decks can not recover post turn 3.

What was mentioned that got a buff:
      Princess Cory with Timophy sounds terrifying
      Eurig was already pretty scary. I have no idea what to expect here...

Otherwise....
      You are AWESOME!
      Thanks for all the updates, and more to look forward to, for sure.

Please be candid with us when AI updates go through, to talk about potential PvE card buffs, or reverts. Things should get more challenging overall, not easier.
      I'd love to see: Captain's Parrot, The Crowd Roar's, Slaughtergears', and Ruin of Ripplewood - back on the table for revert nerf discussions.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Field Medic disallows an entire archetype - instant loss for decks that try to combo with direct damage.
      Sly Huntress Elite - Very restrictive of certain archetypes (Similar to Hogarth passive)
      Agreed with these.

Also: Elite Phenteo - his 'unique cards' are simply too strong facing against a deck that starts with only 33 cards in it. Unless he completely fails to hit any of his payoff cards, he just wins without contest. When he does fail to hit any of his payoff cards, he just loses without contest. Neither of which are particularly healthy.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I greatly appreciate following through on the changes that were implied and/or stated months ago. That said, Burly Botanist gets hosed by Kukatan which means you may have overtuned it down unless he's packing some constant removal options now (which would be wise.) On the note of PvE drops, I know it might require a bit more work but I think it would be great for everyone if we could just tailor what we want the drops from our run to be when you start it out.

I'm thinking something like choosing a path through the Arena when you start (or maybe as rewards for challenges, you can choose to not take a reward and instead adopt a path) that modifies all base drop chances by weighting towards something that specific player wants, such as the following...

Path of Spoils
      Drops are weighted towards Gold (+20%) and Equipment (+10%) during this run.

Path of Glory
      Drops are weighted towards PvE cards (+20%) and Equipment (+10%) during this run.

Path of Legend
      Drops are weighted towards Equipment (+20%) and PvE cards (+10%) during this run.

Path of War
      Drops are weighted towards PvE cards (+20%) and Gold (+10%) during this run.

Path of Conquering
      Drops are weighted towards Gold (+20%) and PvE cards (+10%) during this run.

Path of Mercy
      Drops are weighted towards Equipment (+20%) and Gold (+10%) during this run.

That way you can try to minimize the amount of 'feel bad' when you run the arena and get a 32nd copy of some uncommon you don't want and whose equipment you think might be a myth.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

First some concerns with balance tweaks to the Frost Ring:

What was not mentioned:

What was mentioned that got a buff:
      Princess Cory with Timophy sounds terrifying
      Agreed on all points. Elite Periwinkle is pretty absurd, and elite upgrade technician is one of the "explosive" decks I was talking about. Just gets out of hand way too fast.

I could see giving Eurig a tweak, but giving him a large buff is pretty scary sounding
    • Super excited for these PvE updates!

NicoSharp wrote:

I'd disagree here. Regular Eurig wasn't scary. Sure, Elite Eurig really capitalized on you if you stumbled around or if it got a turn 2 invincible VB1311, but other than that, even Elite Eurig wasn't too threatening. I agree with everything else, though.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I really would like to see the spoiled new Arena Opponent Violet's Attendant's passive set up in a way that the new Violet's Caresses that get created by his passive are going to be Escalated already if there were previous Violet's Caresses played earlier by the Attendant.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Steric ().