History of a HEX Card - Dogpile

• Aside from the Rabid issue, the rate is still unexciting with the existence of sabretooth.

It feels like an uncommon, it reminds me of Feeding the Young Ones which was nice in limited but terrible otherwise.

Why not keep it at x cost with the new overflow so that it's flexible? Or put it at 3 cost so the rate feels better?

I get that junk rares need to exist but why use a junk rare for a History article?
    • It kind of lost the „Finisher“ feeling now and therefore the 4 cost feels out of place. 4 Cost removal with upside is just not really a thing in constructed.
      If it cost 3 and dealt 4 damage I would like it a lot more.
      You can propably just throw it at your opponent for a 5 damage finisher, which isnt terrible, but if thats the best use of it, the effect feels a little out of place.
    • nqumyf wrote:

It kind of lost the „Finisher“ feeling now and therefore the 4 cost feels out of place. 4 Cost removal with upside is just not really a thing in constructed.
      You can propably just throw it at your opponent for a 5 damage finisher, which isnt terrible, but if thats the best use of it, the effect feels a little out of place.
      Actually you can't. Notice that the final card only targets troops, which makes it less compelling. Unless your opponent has a troop in play, your rabid gnolls get bored and refuse to attack.
    • Artic wrote:

Aside from the Rabid issue, the rate is still unexciting with the existence of sabretooth.

It feels like an uncommon, it reminds me of Feeding the Young Ones which was nice in limited but terrible otherwise.
      I think I mostly agree. Doesn't seem that exciting, but there is some small potential for interaction.

With Fuelmaster out paying four to kill a troop and get two or three 2/1s is decent tempo. If we get another troop or two that can give similar buffs, or get buffs like Rune Ear Hierophant, then it may see some constructed play.

Edit: That being said, its hard to imagine ever running 4 of in a deck. And even then it only works in one specific style of 2 shard deck.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Angmar ().

• Mystery wrote:

nqumyf wrote:

It kind of lost the „Finisher“ feeling now and therefore the 4 cost feels out of place. 4 Cost removal with upside is just not really a thing in constructed.
      Actually you can't. Notice that the final card only targets troops, which makes it less compelling. Unless your opponent has a troop in play, your rabid gnolls get bored and refuse to attack.
      Ohh, then its just a removal plus for 4 which is pretty bad in constructed.
      In limited its fine, not overwhelming, but fine.

Edit: Ohhh I thought it was quick too. Feels like it should be though.
    • TheGreatCulling wrote:

I try to reserve my judgment until the full spoiler list is released, but I'm really not sold on this card. At least it seems to be aptly named...
      It is turn 4 in limited, your opponent played an x/2 last turn (not an unrealistic nor unlikely turn of events), you play this and nullify their play at the same time as you develop board with 3/3 stats spread across 3 bodies. It is both a card economical win and a tempo gain. What is there not to like about this card?
    • Lunavi wrote:

TheGreatCulling wrote:

I try to reserve my judgment until the full spoiler list is released, but I'm really not sold on this card. At least it seems to be aptly named...
      It is turn 4 in limited, your opponent played an x/2 last turn (not an unrealistic nor unlikely turn of events), you play this and nullify their play at the same time as you develop board with 3/3 stats spread across 3 bodies. It is both a card economical win and a tempo gain. What is there not to like about this card?
      I mean yes, some cards are design for limited no doubt.

However from the article it didn't seem like they designed this card for limited since for limited it was already plenty exciting as the second iteration.
    • Lunavi wrote:

I don't think this card is bad in limited, but it has the wrong rarity imo. Why a (trash) rare? For me this card is quit unfun. Make it cost one less, quick speed and/or have the 1/1's some special ability. This way its a 30 platin rare and will stay on that cost for rest of its life cycle.

It would be fine for an uncommon though.
    • Morshadoom wrote:

Lunavi wrote:

I don't think this card is bad in limited, but it has the wrong rarity imo. Why a (trash) rare? For me this card is quit unfun. Make it cost one less, quick speed and/or have the 1/1's some special ability. This way its a 30 platin rare and will stay on that cost for rest of its life cycle.

It would be fine for an uncommon though.
      This card being anything but rare or above would severely impact limited in a highly negative manner, especially sealed and EVO, mark my words on that. The deck opening 2-3 of these would be almost automatically go x-0 except if they face another deck which opened a lot of these. This card is very likely rare not because of how good it is in constructed, but because of how ridiculous it would be for limited as an uncommon.
    • Lunavi wrote:

This card being anything but rare or above would severely impact limited in a highly negative manner, especially sealed and EVO, mark my words on that. The deck opening 2-3 of these would be almost automatically go x-0 except if they face another deck which opened a lot of these. This card is very likely rare not because of how good it is in constructed, but because of how ridiculous it would be for limited as an uncommon.
      I think you overestimate this card by a big margin. Killing a 2/2 in your example ON TURN 4 is not a big deal in most games, neither are 3 1/1's, which will be quit likly having little impact on the game.

I don't thought about it too long, but I'd pick in a draft a Lyvaanth's Skylancer or Choir of Lumos before this removal any day. Or something like Twilight Eclipse/Revenant (in the past).

And even if its strong as a uncommon, you normally don't get more than 2 in a draft anyway, or 1 in an Evo. And another point: Compare this card to Lava shaper (3/3 for 4, dealing 3 damage to target opposing troop with Ardent Allegiance. Don't really think Dog Pile is considerably better, and guess what, Lava shaper is.... an uncommon :)
    • Morshadoom wrote:

Lunavi wrote:

I think you overestimate this card by a big margin. Killing a 2/2 in your example ON TURN 4 is not a big deal in most games, neither are 3 1/1's, which will be quit likly having little impact on the game.
      I don't thought about it too long, but I'd pick in a draft a Lyvaanth's Skylancer or Choir of Lumos before this removal any day. Or something like Twilight Eclipse/Revenant (in the past).

And even if its strong as a uncommon, you normally don't get more than 2 in a draft anyway, or 1 in an Evo. And another point: Compare this card to Lava shaper (3/3 for 4, dealing 3 damage to target opposing troop with Ardent Allegiance. Don't really think Dog Pile is considerably better, and guess what, Lava shaper is.... an uncommon :)
      After playing against Winbringer in MtG Amonkhet limited, no I do not think I overestimate how powerful of a thing it is to both gain board and have a removal in the same creature, that card basically won you the game when it entered the board unless you had instant speed removal and held mana up for a rare bomb. This is OBVIOUSLY weaker than that card which was so ridiculous it was not unheard of people changing to red pack 3 if they opened it, but not by as much as one would think considering this costs 1 less. This card is also in a set with a champion that at 4 charges gives your board +1/+1, which fits pretty well in with when you play this card on the curve, so in full Pack decks this card is actually very likely to give you 3 2/2s if you remove a x/2 and 2 if you remove a x/3, and 4(8/8 power in total) if you hit a 1/1. You are also underestimating strongly how common it is to end up with multiples of uncommon in sealed deck (can not speak for EVO, but from what I have read it should be about as likely) and especially draft if you are alone in an archetype, especially in gauntlet where no one will hate pick as the benefit from doing so is minimal.

So no, I am pretty certain I am not overestimating how powerful of an effect this is in what R/W and R/W/B will likely from what has been seen be doing in this set.
    • The Ender’s arrival rocked the teams at the Frost Ring Arena,
      This line baffles me. I understand a couple sets of Frost Ring stuff since y'all seemed proud of FRA 2.0, but now the world is ending and the most important players are still the Frost Ring factions? What the hell happened between Scars of War and now?
    • Torgamous wrote:

The Ender’s arrival rocked the teams at the Frost Ring Arena,
      This line baffles me. I understand a couple sets of Frost Ring stuff since y'all seemed proud of FRA 2.0, but now the world is ending and the most important players are still the Frost Ring factions? What the hell happened between Scars of War and now?
      The Enders have just arrived, and they did so at the arena, so the teams are the first ones to interact with them. The first lore article we got made it clear that the rest of the world has only started to hear rumors about the Enders. If the teams aren't able to do something to reverse them, we may see them interacting with the rest of the world in the future.
    • Torgamous wrote:

The Ender’s arrival rocked the teams at the Frost Ring Arena,
      Hex's storytelling: Keep on making new stuffs up, never give old stuffs any closure -- unless they have card ideas that have the old stuff, like Lixil. I don't know what is going on with the war, I don't know how and what is Hogarth's redemption about, I don't know much about the "main characters" of many factions. It's like a D&D(or any trpg system) setting book where they tell you the very basic and let you make up all the details up yourself.