Setting AI card settings on an individual basis

• Setting AI card settings on an individual basis

Just wanted to expand upon my other idea of setting AI card priority. After playing Siege I think it is Absolutely Essential we get a way to select from settings on an individual card basis.

What I mean by this is, being able to select a card and then select from various pre-programmed settings that tells the AI how you would prefer it to use it. A simple tick box to turn it off and on would suffice.

For example, using the screenshot from my other thread, I've updated it and put some ugly looking stuff that is to represent some tick-boxes with some example settings.

Example settings:

- Do not attack, unless against an empty board state
      - Do not attack, unless 0 resources are open
      - Do not block unless taking fatal
      - Always attack
      - Always block
      - Always cast when possible
      - Only cast when 3+ more enemy troops are attacking
      - Troops created by this stay on defense, unless against empty board
      - Troops created by this go on offense
      - etc etc

Hopefully the above examples clearly show what I'm getting at... even still let's use a card to show some examples of what I might enable.

For this card I would Enable settings like:

Never attack
      Do not block, unless taking fatal
      Troops created by this stay on defense, unless against empty board

Cheers

HAVOC

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon

The post was edited 1 time, last by HAVOC ().

• I would second the idea of a system similar to Final Fantasy XII gambits. I've made some mock ups of what it could look like.

We would first need a "set AI hints" button located next to the "set personality" button, like this:

Clicking on this button would open a window with a set of rules that constrain what the AI should do. Example:

Here, we say that unless playing Chaotic Murmurs likely wins the game (in which case it should be played), the AI should prioritize Phenteo's Gifts and Azure Fang Decrees, in that order. It also means it plays those cards before using its charge power. Then, we also add a targeting rule for Terrorantulas, avoiding that multiple Terrorantulas on the chain target the same card.

Actions might include: play, do not play, use ability, do not use ability, target a {card|troop|action|constant|...} with {cost|attack|...} {greater than|equal|less that} {some number}, target a card not targeted by any other, choose (from the choice zone), do not choose, attack, do not attack, block, do not block, pass priority, use charge power, etc.

Conditions might include: whenever possible, when this has {more|less} than {some number} counters, if there is an opposing card on the chain, if the opponent board {is|is not} empty, if an opponent's deck has less than {some number} cards, if {any|all} opponents have {more|less} than {some number} resources open, if current phase is {own|an ally's|an opponent's} {first main|second main|any main|...}, if we have {some number} temporary resources, etc.

Cards that may have rules should include the cards from the deck, any token they can generate, and the champion.

This system should be relatively simple to implement, at least in its basic form. In principle, before the AI starts thinking, the game should iterate on the list of rules. For each rule, if its condition is met, either stop everything and take the corresponding decision (e.g., for the "play" action during a main phase), or update the set of decisions the AI is allowed to take (assuming if a valid decision can still be taken; otherwise, the rule is ignored). Once all the rules have been taken into account, the AI would use its regular algorithm on the new set of allowed decisions.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Xylo ().

• And then we can spend hours unlocking them from various points in the Campaign, just like in FF 12!

That part was always weird to me.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Xylo wrote:

I would second the idea of a system similar to Final Fantasy XII gambits. I've made some mock ups of what it could look like.

We would first need a "set AI hints" button located next to the "set personality" button, like this:

Clicking on this button would open a window with a set of rules that constrain what the AI should do. Example:

Here, we say that unless playing Chaotic Murmurs likely wins the game (in which case it should be played), the AI should prioritize Phenteo's Gifts and Azure Fang Decrees, in that order. It also means it plays those cards before using its charge power. Then, we also add a targeting rule for Terrorantulas, avoiding that multiple Terrorantulas on the chain target the same card.

Actions might include: play, do not play, use ability, do not use ability, target a {card|troop|action|constant|...} with {cost|attack|...} {greater than|equal|less that} {some number}, target a card not targeted by any other, choose (from the choice zone), do not choose, attack, do not attack, block, do not block, pass priority, use charge power, etc.

Conditions might include: whenever possible, when this has {more|less} than {some number} counters, if there is an opposing card on the chain, if the opponent board {is|is not} empty, if an opponent's deck has less than {some number} cards, if {any|all} opponents have {more|less} than {some number} resources open, if current phase is {own|an ally's|an opponent's} {first main|second main|any main|...}, if we have {some number} temporary resources, etc.

Cards that may have rules should include the cards from the deck, any token they can generate, and the champion.

This system should be relatively simple to implement, at least in its basic form. In principle, before the AI starts thinking, the game should iterate on the list of rules. For each rule, if its condition is met, either stop everything and take the corresponding decision (e.g., for the "play" action during a main phase), or update the set of decisions the AI is allowed to take (assuming if a valid decision can still be taken; otherwise, the rule is ignored). Once all the rules have been taken into account, the AI would use its regular algorithm on the new set of allowed decisions.
      Nice mockups, this is exactly what we need. With the option to save and import these settings easily to other decks.
    • Xylo wrote:

I would second the idea of a system similar to Final Fantasy XII gambits. I've made some mock ups of what it could look like.

Bloody beautiful mate! This exactly what I'd love to see and you did such a nice mockup! :D

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon

The post was edited 1 time, last by HAVOC ().

• While this set up would be IDEAL, I think we can much more realistically hope for something like this:

Hand Priority (1-5 or 1-10) the ideal play order of cards from your hand.
      Board Priority (0-6 or 0-11) How important cards are on the board, with zero being "Sacrifice or Kill me ASAP" and the 1-5 or 1-10 numbers being how disposable the card is in order of most to least disposable and 6 or 11 being reserved for cards that need to be kept alive at all costs.

This alone would make a whole swath of decks more viable immediately.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Parmetheus ().

• I would like to point out that this kind of system has been used in many games. Aside from FF12 that is already mentioned in this thread many times, I also thoroughly enjoyed Dragon Age(only played 1[Origins], not sure about the sequels) and I can set AI to do stuffs and with priorities. I think priorities is very important, I would like a table that can read and show every cards in a deck and let me assign priorities on what to play first. For instance, the current AI always play Rune Ear Hierophant almost last because it has a very low startup A/D of 2/2. With the table, I would place REH at the very top of the creature bracket so REH will be played first all the freaking time.

I would also want a setting that tell the AI to play a card pre-or-post-combat, pre-or-post-resource. The current AI approach is to play every Speed troop pre-combat and anything else post-combat. I think pre-resource, pre-combat is great for cards like Mightsinger of Ages or some cards that can potentially buff the attacking cards or has an effects on attacks like the old Zoltog in a full-orc deck.

Griffinheart wrote:

As long as I can switch Titania's Majesty from "Never play" to "consider playing sometime maybe", I'll be happy.
      I have seen AI played TM, but only as the very last card(so not really useful).