Card Design Contest: February 24 - March 2, 2018

• Card Design Contest: February 24 - March 2, 2018

DOOM IS COMING TO ENTRATH! PREPARE AND COWER! Or at least make some neat cards...

The Rules:
      Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your
      fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Design a card that ends the game, and possibly (a section of) the world. With the spoiler season for Set 9 beginning, we have interesting ideas on new creatures.

Examples and Suggestions:
      World-altering examples are abundant, but I want to see either a new win condition or a game-ending declarative.
      The Killipede
      Engrossed Bibliophile
      Inferno
      Fallen Singularity
      Comet Strike
      Argus, Herald of Doom
      Note how all of these either add a win condition or massively alter the field/landscape.

You are welcome to design either a PvP or a PvE card, but please specify which you're designing.

Judging Criteria:
      Here's what I focus on in judging, in order of priority:
      • Uniqueness - Show me something that isn't currently in the game, or a new twist. Explore the thought-space.
      • Balance - Make sure the card is not absurdly broken, just keep it in line a bit.
      • Elegance - The card's text should be easy to interpret at a glance.
      Rewards:
      To be announced/edited.

Deadline:
      The contest will run until noon, Pacific/Hex time, on 03/02/2018.
    • PvP card

All of these cards are part of the same design, I hope that is OK.

Witness of the end of the world
      3 [BLOOD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Chaostouched Coyote

[EXHAUST] Create a a Prophecy of the end of the world, then void this.

1/4

I come from a future no longer existing, and I bring you news of events to come! Follow me, and you will never suffer again!

Prophecy of the end of the world
      Constant -Chaostouched

[ONESHOT] At the start of your turn, look at the top card of your deck, if that card is a resource, then Put an End of the World at the bottom of all opposing champions' decks, if not, revert this card.

(1) Bury the top card of each deck containing at least one "End of the World".

Follow my words, and all your suffering will soon end, follow me deeper and deeper into the abyss.

The End of the World
      Action

If this card would leave your deck by any means, you instantly lose the game.

Each time a card enters your crypt, move this card one place up in your deck.

You followed my orders, you followed my directions, now your long awaited reward awaits you, now close your eyes and all your suffering wil soonl vanish.

Equipment Chest: Robe of the Doomsayer: All your Witness of the end of the world has Speed

Equipment Weapon: All your Witness of the end of the world has "Deploy, bury the top 5 cards of each opposing champion's deck".

EDIT: Forgot to give the troop stats. XD

EDIT EDIT: Card wouldn't work by the rules, did changes to fix that, an added bonus is that the card was made significantly worse in mirror matches, which seems flavorful as in that case both players have to face the end of the world, and should be given the consequences of the Prophecy. Also changed to Chaostouced Coyote by suggestion as the card does actually feel very flavorful on Coyote. Did also slightly nerf the trigger ability, but still kept the shard to keep it in like with the trigger ratio I originally wished it had (in between 30-50% depending on how many resources a person run) while having the same feeling of resources not being dead draws mid-late game.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lunavi ().

• Lunavi wrote:

PvP card

All of these cards are part of the same design, I hope that is OK.

Witness of the end of the world
      3 [BLOOD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Chaostouched

[EXHAUST] Transform this into a Prophecy of the end of the world, then runic it.

1/4

I come from a future no longer existing, and I bring you news of events to come! Follow me, and you will never suffer again!

Prophecy of the end of the world
      Constant -Chaostouched

If this card from runic state gets cast by you drawing a resource, put an "End of the World" at the bottom of each opposing champion's deck.

(1) Bury the top card of each opposing champion's deck.

Follow my words, and all your suffering will soon end, follow me deeper and deeper into the abyss.

The End of the World
      Action

If this card would leave your deck by any means, you instantly lose the game.

Each time a card enters your crypt, move this card one place up in your deck.

You followed my orders, you followed my directions, now your long awaited reward awaits you, now close your eyes and all your suffering wil soonl vanish.

Equipment Chest: Robe of the Doomsayer: All your Witness of the end of the world has Speed

Equipment Weapon: All your Witness of the end of the world has "Deploy, bury the top 5 cards of each opposing champion's deck".

EDIT: Forgot to give the troop stats. XD
      So there are some pretty interesting ideas, but from a rules standpoint, I don't think this works as is.

First, Runic only goes on actions. Other card types can transform into Mysterious Runes (such as through Runebind), but Runic as a keyword says "if you played this from your hand, transform it into a rune and put it into play." You can't "Runic this".

Secondly, Your card "Prophecy of the End of the World" might never actually happen...

When a card transforms into a Rune, the Rune will revert itself when you draw a resource. So even if you changed the text of the Witness to transform into a Rune, it will revert into the witness instead of the Prophecy.

If you don't mind a suggestion, there is already a Coyotle amongst the Chaostouched. It would not be out of character to have a chaostouched coyotle use the Prophecy mechanic:

Witness of the End of World
      3 [BLOOD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Choastouched Coyotle

[ONESHOT] Prophecy [EXHAUST] : The next action in your deck gets "Create an End of the World and put it into the bottom of each opposing champion's deck".

1 [ATTACK] /4 [DEFENSE]
    • Arcanyx wrote:

Secondly, Your card "Prophecy of the End of the World" might never actually happen...
      ya, it definitely wouldn't work.

Another option would simply be to have the Prophecy of the End of the World have:

One-Shot: When a resource enters your hand, sacrifice this constant and add an 'End of the World' to the bottom of each opposing champion's deck.

If he really wants to maintain the 'runic' feel specifically.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

Arcanyx wrote:

ya, it definitely wouldn't work.
      Another option would simply be to have the Prophecy of the End of the World have:

One-Shot: When a resource enters your hand, sacrifice this constant and add an 'End of the World' to the bottom of each opposing champion's deck.

If he really wants to maintain the 'runic' feel specifically.
      Was nothing about runic really, but rather having a condition that might or might not take a while to get triggered to fulfill to balance the card being cost 3 and putting a serious clock at the opponent. Thanks for the advices, gonna change it up tomorrow into something that works by the rules. :)
    • pvp card

|name|
      unique troop
      [BLOOD] [BLOOD] cost 6
      6 [ATTACK] 6 [DEFENSE]

when this attacks, void all cards in decks

at the start of each champion's turn, that champion chooses "sacrifice 2 cards" or "put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck in any order" or "|name| destroys you"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Biz ().

• To the Slaughter
      4 [DIAMOND] [DIAMOND]
      Constant
      Deploy: Each opposing champion summons 6 Fluffy Lamb and 1 Sturdy Enclosure
      [EXHAUST] Destroy Target Fluffy Lamb. A random troop you control gains +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] .
      At the start of your turn, if no opposing champions control a Fluffy Lamb, you win.
      "I'm never eating meat again..."

Fluffy Lamb
      2 [DIAMOND]
      Beast Troop
      0 [ATTACK] /4 [DEFENSE]
      "Aww so cute...."

Sturdy Enclosure
      3 [DIAMOND] [DIAMOND]
      Constant
      [BASIC] 4 - Summon 1 Fluffy Lamb

Alternate win condition, endless supply of tasty meat.... both at the same time.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Name: Improspyer Leader
      Cost: 3
      Threshold Requirement: [BLOOD] [WILD] [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY]
      Type: Troop - Commander
      Faction: Neutral
      Rarity: Common
      Abilities: This troop gets a random race trait before the start of the game.
      If at any time you control troops of 35 or more different races than you win the game.
      5 /5
      Favor Text: That is not an army but a single troop that is able to get armies to come out of the woodwork. - Random Passerby

The post was edited 1 time, last by invinible: Corrected a word in the Favor Text. ().

• Pyre the Fire Starter
      3 [RUBY] [RUBY] [RUBY]
      Troop - Unique Goblin
      1 [ATTACK] /3 [DEFENSE]
      Whenever you play an action, add one pyromania counter to any card you control and create a random ruby action with cost 3 or less and add it to your hand.
      At the end of your turn, if there is a combined total of 20 pyromania counters on all cards you control, create an "EVERYTHING IS FLAMMABLE!"and add it to your hand.
      [EXHAUST] Add 2 burning counters to your champion and then add 2 pyromania counters to any card you control.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" - People on fire or Pyre screaming at people on fire

"EVERYTHING IS FLAMMABLE!"
      20 [RUBY]
      Basic Action
      This card gets cost -1 for each pyromania counter you possess.
      Deal 100 damage to each opposing champion. If they survive, try again and deal 1,000 more damage to them. Then set the board on fire.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" -Both people on fire and Pyre screaming because Pyre is now on fire
    • I couldn't decide which version of this card I liked more:

Surging assault
      3 [WILD] [RUBY]
      Basic Action
      When a troop attacks this turn, it deals damage equal to it's [ATTACK] to each opposing champion.

Surging assault
      5 [WILD] [RUBY]
      Constant
      When a troop you control attacks, it deal damage equal to it's [ATTACK] to each opposing champion.

What do you all think?
    • Impending Grotesque
      6 [BLOOD] [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Troop - Abomination
      2 [ATTACK] / 8 [DEFENSE]
      Lethal
      When this card attacks, it must be blocked by at least one opposing troop if able.
      When this card destroys an opposing troop, it gets + [ATTACK] equal to the destroyed troops [ATTACK] , and + [DEFENSE] equal to the destroyed troops [DEFENSE] .
      If this card has [ATTACK] and [DEFENSE] totalling 40 or more, destroy each opposing champion.
    • I've made 3 cards all tied around the idea of Titans.

Duel of Titans
      3 [WILD] [WILD]
      Basic Action
      Each champion creates a Titan and puts it into play.

Ancient Alliances
      5 [WILD] [WILD]
      Basic Action
      If you control a troop with combined [ATTACK] and [DEFENSE] greater than 13, create two Titans and put them into play.

Raiding the Trove
      3 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      Draw 3 cards then each opposing champion creates a stunned Titan and puts it into play.

And here are our Titans:

[A different name for each boon]
      Artifact, Troop - Giant
      Deploy - This gets a random boon.
      7/7

I like the idea of giving each Titan different art and a different name based on its starting boon. Lots of room for fun flavor.
    • PvE submissions:

Endless Abyss
      10 [BLOOD] [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Action

As an additional cost to play this, sacrifice 5 creatures. Destroy target champion. If a champion in an Adventure Zone is destroyed in this way, replace this encounter with a Dark Void.

--------------------------

Supernova
      10 [RUBY] [RUBY] [RUBY]
      Action

Deal 20 damage to target opposing champion. If a champion in an Adventure Zone is destroyed in this way, replace this encounter with with a Burning Crater node.

Designer notes: The idea behind these Actions is that you are casting a spell so powerful that you will physically alter the landscape. These would basically wipe encounters from the map and you won't be able to ever replay them with that champion. Currently, my idea is that a Dark Void and Burning Crater would just be empty nodes with maybe a little bit of flavor text, but maybe using these spells can unlock bonus dungeons, such as a dungeon taking place in the Nameless Library appears if enough Dark Voids open up.
    • Utremeld - Day of the Tentacle - Excellent concept, funny reference. Not blood/wild for matching colors. :D Possibly able to be abused with multiple copies or charge-boosting cards. Energize Charge Bot Matches the theme. What's a tentacle? (0/1 or 0/2 troop with defensive?)

Lunavi - Witness of the End of the World - A Chaostouched Coyotle from the future? BAD END. The concept of advancing doom is fun, especially with a mechanic to move it up. Reginald Lancashire is a similar concept, and is borderline broken.

Karot - Rage of Nature - Violent. Nature, red in tooth and claw. I love it. I'm imagining an orchard detonating, or a pack of dinosaurs and Wrathwood plant-things just... exploding. Precedent in Plan C Destructive Maurader and Heartbreak.

Biz - |name| - I'm going to refer to this as (Unnamed Apocalypse) or (Threat Null) from various literature and games. A vicious, must-answer threat. If this had speed, it would be absolutely broken, but as is, stands as a game-ender within a maximum of 6 turns. I don't understand the sacrifice option, though. If I have an empty deck, I instantly lose. I have an option to put two cards into my deck, instantly draw one back out, and possibly lose another next attack, lose, or... sacrifice two things, fail to draw, and lose. Neat concept. For balance, I'd suggest going the route of "When this attacks, void the top half of the opponent's deck, rounded up." (This preserves the void and keeps it from being an auto-lose for the attacker if they have a smaller hand size than the opponent.)

Eraia - To the Slaughter - Aw, so cute. Dang, so evil. Combination with any board wipe or quick action ( Kill) when the opponent is low is essentially "have a lot of resources and spend them all to keep up a screen of sheep or lose."

invinible - Improspyr Leader - Neat concept of aggregating a large, diverse cast. There aren't 35 races in Hex, currently. I'd move it to 8, and have the Leader as "Deploy - Select a race trait and add it to this card." That way, you can either get the bonuses from an "Allegiance" tech, get synergy, or add to the contributing factors.

HaughtyHeretic - Pyre the Fire Starter - AAAAAAAHHH! I mean, fun! Good idea on the balance, as they could -potentially- start burning your high-counter cards to delay the creation of the "end" card, and has the secondary alternate-lose of cooking you with burning counters. Nice balance in the cost (free if they do nothing, higher cost if they smash your board after you summon your win-con). Inferno comes to mind, too.

Shylba - Surging Assault - You tease! I've been dying for more "Surging" cards. I love Surging Wildfire. It might be a little overly EVIL to make every card you have that's attacking into a direct-damage, but I like it. Something would have to balance this, but I can't think of how other than "run interrupts or constant removal." Still, when the forest burns you....

Cyru - Impending Grotesque - Okay, I can't resist. If this got Spellshield, it would literally be this: Nothing Can Stop the Smooze. I'm mildly horrified. Have a potentially image-reference card. Blasphemous Horror Yuck. This is a vicious, violent card. Chump blocking can only delay this, not stop it. Excellent.

Tarquin - Endless Decay - Very similar to Unwritten End, but focused on troop removal. I like the focus and the Relentless Corruption (no relation, just for pun). Evil and awesome.

faceremover - Duel of Titans (and others) - High-powered troops. High-risk, high-reward play. Tends to end the game quickly and adds big bodies. Fun stuff, and neat lore of Titans vs. Gods.

Arcanyx - Endless Abyss and Supernova - Powerful PVE game-enders, with a lasting effect. Neat. If these were to be implemented, I'd include a mechanic as follows, on a boss or two: "For each Dark Void (or Blasted Crater), [Boss] starts the encounter with 1 additional charge." Might also have a "For each (opposite element of the altered landscape), [Boss] starts the encounter with [thematically appropriate troop] in play."

Judging:
      First Prize: HaughtyHeretic and Pyre the Fire Starter - While initially appearing imbalanced, I'm impressed by the depth of thought that went into this and the implications of how removal and reversion work on the cards, and its interaction with its controller's board state. 500p
      Second Prize: Cyru and Impending Grotesque - Evil, evil smushy thing. Balanced by one having to protect it as it absorbs. 200p
      Third Prize: Eraia and To the Slaughter, Shylba and Surging Assault - You guys are crazy. I love it. 100p and thematically appropriate card bonuses.
      Honorable Mentions: The rest of you awesome people and the fun stuff you created. 100p
    • Zyblen wrote:

If these were to be implemented, I'd include a mechanic as follows, on a boss or two: "For each Dark Void (or Blasted Crater), [Boss] starts the encounter with 1 additional charge." Might also have a "For each (opposite element of the altered landscape), [Boss] starts the encounter with [thematically appropriate troop] in play."
      I completely agree. There could be a WHOLE lot of cool interactions that could be made with epic spells having a permanent effect on adventure zones. Things like this could even then be an excuse to revisit a completed AZ and then mold it into your image.