Siege 2.0 - Social and PvE goals that should follow Siege Launch

• Siege 2.0 - Social and PvE goals that should follow Siege Launch

Before we even see the final product that is Siege, many of us are still trying to help move the puck with HxE for the long-game.

The Long-game, as I envision it, has 3 main segments:

1. Social Engagement
      2. Sand-Box Expansion
      3. Broad Incentives

1) Social Engagement is a multi-headed beast.
      • To keep it simple, let's start with interactive chat in battles (HS Taunts with delay timers to reduce spam).
      • The next thing would be social status - bling that can be purchased, and ways to show off that bling. Maybe even in-game player profiles where they are able to highlight 3 sleeves, and 6 cards as "trophies" akin to what DOTA2 allows players to do.
      • The next would be Achievements - Tied to Player profiles, and could span modes. ie: Leaderboards for Siege

2) Sand-Box Expansion is extremely important
      • Open-ended battles against friends, and other players in a full unsanctioned fight using equipment and pve cards.
      • "Live" Siege modes, where a defender can play their own decks vs. full PvE decks from attackers.
      • Cosmetic buffs to Siege to make defenders have a fighting chance, and open more doors to attackers getting full pve access.
      • FRA being tweaked to have difficulty levels, that welcome any strategy, within reason, to have success with the right tweaks.
      • Bonuses for pure PvE content, that promote completion, vs. promote challenge.
      • This should focus on trying to avoid removing anything from the list of playables for modes, and making it more about a fun full and rich experience.
      • Find a way to tie replayability into making HXE money. This can be done in many ways, but the best way I can think of is encourage PvE card and equipment collecting, and PvP Limited Collecting by combining a mode that provides both limited, and/or exclusive PvE rewards.
      • Find a way to get PS4 and other platform players here, so content is not developed with a crutch to allow them a fair opportunity to enjoy it.

3) Broad Incentives is mostly about rewarding players to hold interest in all content.
      • Fun only goes so far in HEX, when players are economy driven.
      • One of Sieges biggest design question marks is whether or not players will prioritize fun over value...
      • There should be tangent bonuses to competing in modes that have us using "Ante" against others, or freemium modes.
      • Those bonuses can be tied to success (win-streaks); variety (achievements); or risk (Ante attempts)
      • Improve trade, and provide Trade UI, to further promote the game as a TCG, and share Trade data trending over the last year in client, to allow players to more easily acquire what they need.
      • More tied to cosmetic purchases, and deck purchases (smaller on the need-to-do list, and more of a nice-to-have)

That is all I have time for now. I can greatly expand here, but It's a good place to start for where I think HEX needs to go to really start to cater to the demographic Siege was likely intended to capture, but may have inadvertently missed. See you in the war zone soon!
    • NicoSharp wrote:

• Find a way to tie replayability into making HXE money. This can be done in many ways, but the best way I can think of is encourage PvE card and equipment collecting, and PvP Limited Collecting by combining a mode that provides both limited, and/or exclusive PvE rewards.

In addition to this, how about the conversation we have with HXE that starts with "PvE players use PvP cards in their decks, so extra effort should be put into making PvP cards better for PvE". To that end, equipment for rare and legendary PvP cards should substantially increase the power of the card. If PvE is more fun, people will want to play PvE and because the PvP+equipment cards are among the best, PvE folks will want those (rare and legendary) PvP cards (and equipment). Hex makes money on the sets purchased, and a taste on the action in the AH. What they need is volume of users, and PvP isn't driving that volume by itself - they need a two-prong approach.

I spend a lot of money each set launch, but I rarely play any PvP (I play the gauntlet to get free packs). I do not want to spend money on playing the campaign, FRA or siege. I will buy node unlocks that take me to dungeons or other parts of the world (I will pay for a campaign/dungeon unlock, I will not play to play through a campaign).

I will (and have) spend money on battle boards, to support the company. It would be awesome if they were visible in PvE. It would be super-awesome if they had an aura effect (e.g. troops with flight get speed). You aren't guaranteed to get your board, but it adds another layer to deck building (deck, champ, board). Yes, this is pay to play, but so are all the PvP cards, let's stop pussy footing around with not straight-up buying things for PvE that give an advantage in PvE. Don't make them required-powerful, but make them an interesting option. Make some available via means other than platinum, sure, but make most of them a cash purchase.

I will spend money on mercenaries, because I like them a lot - put some up for sale in the shop.

Alternate art champions and mercenaries - shop purchase. Stretch goal - have the alternate art give different abilities to the champ.
    • I can only agree to the sentiments in this thread. To me it boils down to "Give us the tools and we will make PvE magic!" - only requires 3 things to begin:

a) An easy way to create community - guilds are wonderful things which are pretty much self-organising at a high level. However they do require...

b) An easy way to access the sandbox - once people can interact they want ways to challenge or entertain each other. On a PvE level, try not to impose limits as to what can be done. However this requries....

c) A nice amount of building blocks - cards, champs, mercs, equipment, starting conditions, win conditions, customisation of presentation and interactivity.... these are things that the HEX team are great at creating... the time is soon to come to throw open the warehouse doors and see what people can do with them!

Siege is a great opening gambit. It gives us a peak at the wonders that may be to come and will hopefully reinforce the idea that PvE content can be community created AND be effective. Eventually I hope we can expand on the idea so here's my first piece - user created dungeons... here's how it would work -

a) HEX provides a background map/image. The user then can put nodes on the map with links between them (along with the conditions to open the links).

b) Each node is assigned either a story tag or a battle tag - story tags are filled in by the creator with text and options (linked to the unlock triggers in a) ). Battle tags require the same as story tags but also an associated deck for the node (These decks will be created the same way as siege decks and will have the same personality types).

c) Each dungeon will have rewards based on perceived difficulty - This may be complicated and may need adding afterwards once an appropriate system is in place. I see no harm in having all story dungeons giving out a 'mini pack' on completion that contains a piece of equip, a small amount of gold, 2 common cards and 1 uncommon card.... along with a chance for bigger rewards (say legendary equip or the occasional rare or legendary PvE card.. nothing that interferes with the PvP market) along with a flat amount of account XP for completing the dungeon. Tailored rewards on difficulty may be access to a different loot table or a proportion of a hoard that the creator puts up.

Just like that, we have simple, user created dungeons which people can rate and give feedback on to allow for custom story creation.

@HEXCoryJones This is an impassioned plea - you talk about your love (and pride) and being creative and being a designer. Please let us join in on that adventure! Become the creator of the creators!
    • Hellforge wrote:

c) A nice amount of building blocks - ...

Siege is a great opening gambit. It gives us a peak at the wonders that may be to come and will hopefully reinforce the idea that PvE content can be community created AND be effective. Eventually I hope we can expand on the idea so here's my first piece - user created dungeons...

I believe this sort of a system properly monetized could make Hex a massive success in popularity & revenue. Here's my take a while back on how Siege could be expanded to allow creating unique dungeon like encounters. In some sense you could consider this a lite version of your map system:

Siege Building:
      - Builder can practice play against his encounters to tweak them (for a small fee if this is too taxing for the servers)
      - Builder can opt to use standard / immortal / pve / limited format for the dungeon. Limited could be done as a phantom draft / sealed and perhaps comes at a fixed minimum entry fee.
      - Builder can select which champions / mercenaries are available for the attacker, similarly to selecting the cards available.
      - Builder can set a shard grid per champion (or a global shard grid)
      - For non-limited formats, builder can limit deckbuilding with various rules (minimum X troops, only troops from a single race per deck, only ardent troops, only shin'hare troops etc)
      - Builder can set specific conditions and events during the matches, like Hogarth does in FRA
      - Builder can use AI champs from FRA and the Campaign

The above features would be unlocked by consumables in chests, FRA, campaign and Wheels of Fate. Consumable type loot used for creating sieges would include:
      - AI PvE champs (FRA champs, campaign opponent champs) could be obtained as one use loot from PvE encounters. One use meaning that when you publish a dungeon/siege run, you use up the special champs you include there and if you ever want to build a different dungeon with a same special champ, you have to get another one as loot. You can change rewards and unpublish/publish the dungeon you build etc as often as you like without using additoinal one time tokens. Alternatively each champ could have a certain number of matches it can play before it is exhausted, and the owner of the dungeon or an attacker can pay X gold/plat to refresh that champion again.
      - Conditions, events, deckbuilding limitations etc could also be earned as loot or bought directly from Hex for gold/plat
      - Same for battleboards. Battleboards could come with some additional board-specific rules that you can activate or deactivate

The creator of the siege / dungeon run could also have a lot of options for the prizes that attackers compete for:
      - They can put up anything in their collection or gold / plat as rewards
      - Optionally you could create a loot table per encounter
      - Instead of giving out loot automatically to everyone, you could make the game randomly pick winners from all successful attackers after a set interval (for example once a week). It could also include a cap, so that only the first X successful attackers compete for rewards. Everyone after that is just playing for fun.
      - Importantly, rewards can also include tickets that attackers can use to enter another encounter. This allows to chain events to create custom campaigns