PVE Card Updates – Siege Launch Patch

• Lunavi wrote:

nqumyf wrote:

I just want to say, that Im really happy about all these changes (Well, most of then. The parrot one was unnessecary imo.).
      The Nerfs were mostly reasonable and small enough to keep the cards still playable. (Maybe too harsh on the lookout or some cards I havent pleyed myself)
      I also really like the fact, that you didnt just „fix“ problem cards by nerfing them into uselessness, but kept them reasonable, as well as buff some weaker cards.
      Please keep up the great work and maybe buff some more cards into usefullness.
      Phenteo's gift really is not playable any longer. While 3 terror eggs is nice to put in the opponent's deck it is not worth an entire card and I would never be happy to top deck it mid to late game without the recurring effect. Making the equipment put it back into the deck rather than hand is a hard nerf at it is a card I never want to draw post turn 3 (without recurring effect that is), it simply does not add to the table or sets up for the win, it is a classical Blizzard nerf that removed everything that made the card playable in the first place, and I would dare say this card got nerfed harder than Warsong Commander.
      I disagree here.
      Yes, they removed Phenteos Gift as a win condition.
      Yes, the equip is now basicly useless.

But how much ressources would you pay for a 5/5 that kills something.
      Hitting even one Terrorantula gives a deck a heavy push into one direction and a dedicated mill deck should hit atleast one Egg before it dies.
      Hitting that egg wont end the game on the spot like it did before, but most likely give you enough time to mill your opponent out.
      The cost increase makes the card have an actual risk to play, since you do loose tempo now for the potential huge tempo gain of getting a Terrorantula.

Therefore I think that even though it lost a huge amount of power, Phenteos Gift ist still a good card.
    • You've got to be f'ng kidding me. REALLY, REALLY pissed off about this patch. I think I'm done.

Edit: what is pissing me off so much is the extreme amount of time that elapsed for the nerfs to arrive. It sends a message that HEX is ENTIRELY asleep at the wheel and out of touch with it's rapidly diminishing player base, but will occasionally wake up enough to flail about.

How about instead of talking about how you're tweaking numbers on cards, tell me about how you're fixing the PvE-side bugs that get introduced in every patch (but never fixed)?

How about talking about how you are making improvements to the AI to have something even slightly less clueless?

How about talking about releasing something for PvE that is for deck builders that put decks together to try to achieve hard pull off stuff like Triumvirate, instead of putting together decks that can survive all the hard-counters in current FRA (which I've stopped playing altogether because IT'S JUST NOT FUN). Where is the easy/medium FRA? Where is the achievement system? WTF!

I'm really just beyond fed up. So much to love in this game (the cards, the deck building), no where to actually play any of it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Typhonstein ().

• Nico, I agree - the real problem is that so many archetypes simply get hated out of the game. Spirit of Retribution was essentially a crutch to make up for that, so they a lot of the archetypes had some method to overcome some of the hard matchups so that the auto-loss they get from the genuine hate matchup isn't the straw that breaks the camels back, as it were.

If they tweak some of those hate mechanics, it'll open up an enormous number of potential deckbuilding opportunities to make up for the hundreds of closed doors they're doing this patch.

Sadly, it doesn't appear as though any of the cards getting bbuffed are getting buffed enough to make them usable in difficult content.

(Can you please make the thornsprout 3 cost so it doesn't compete with the dozen better 4-cost plant cards out there?? Please? That's the biggest reason it's not used, it just can't compete for the 4 cost spot)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Hmm, interesting stuff. Terrormill nerf was long overdue and completely necessary if Siege was going to be enjoyable. Mill will still be insanely strong, it will just require more work. Spiraling End is still crazy powerful.

Spirit of Retribution nerf also long overdue. Good.

I don't think the Parrot was necessary and I straight up hate the change to Ripplewood. Kind of killed those cards.

The buffs are... Alright. Some are interesting, others didn't go far enough. Dark Descent is still pretty terrible with how much set up is required to get it to pay off. Now it's just terrible two turns earlier.

Overall I like the changes, other than the ones I pointed out above.
    • Utremeld wrote:

I don't know what you're gloating about but I'm already tired of it.

See first post

Vroengard wrote:

I will have so much fun with how people that used to cry to "nerf terrormill" when they realize that from the 5 S tier decks for FRA the ones that got changed were the 87$ one, the 45$ one and the 38$ one, while the 105$ and the 140$ one remain unchanged will lash out.
      and just like clockwork people in this thread have already started the "Terrormill was the only cheap deck I had for FRA, now I can't play it", "Please also nerf FRA now that you nerfed Terrormill so I can play it" and "Please buff <my favourite deck> so it can play FRA". And this is the timeline that had people saying that if they nerfed Terrormill, it'd just be making this worse for everyone that didn't have the expensive cards. The unchanged top FRA decks have Azurefate Sorceress (~4-5$ ea) and VKing / VPrincess.
    • I generally like both the nerfs and the buffs!

-parrot nerf seems pretty heavy, i agree it could use at least come with a body for the cost
      -jack head could perhaps get: pay 2, exhaust put an energy counter onto it, to have better value in longer games

the other nerfs, especially gift, make the cards pretty fair!

I would love to see more of those buffs to pve cards, many fun cards are just unplayable. These changes go in the right direction while maybe still just moving some cards from unplayable to borderline playable. But overall really good changes!
    • Although I liked playing Terror-mill in arena, I was expecting some nerfs, but not this huge amount. So many cards make this deck almost unplayable even with many aliterations...
      SoR - was expected
      Cerebral Jack-hat - didn't see this one coming, but it kinda makes sense?
      But still the main problem is with some encounters.

Archon of Nulzan, Burly Botanist, Elite Hogarth (elite without SoR??? Holy cow) - these encounters are just insane in some cases.

My alternate deck for FRA is the Empress of Slaughter deck - against Burly botanist almost useless (rare occasions wins with an empress of ice, but you have to be lucky).

I hope some of the encounters will get nerfed so that new decks could/would stand a chance.

And personaly, buff the old Slaughtergears!!! :D

Also to farming - once the gold income was reduced and replaced by card drop, it isn't really farming, is it? Very, very rarely can you encounter a profitable dragon encounter, but still it isnt worth it. And during any event (night of bells, ardor day etc.) you don't even get the card/equip drop after defeating the arena, so its much easier to farm GMG or some other dungeon...

I understand this had to be all done for the siege mode, but still I could imagine just banning some mill cards from this mode instead of nerfing almost all cards of one archetype...
    • Galliard wrote:

The new Dream Spider + equipment one-shots Army of Myth.

I'm torn on whether I'm happy I'll never have to actually put effort into beating it at level 6 again or disappointed that Spectral Caller will drop in price even further.
      Not only AoM is one-shottet by the new dream spider.
      Also the Obsidian Cyclops from the "hard fights" in Az2 (I think, he is playing only shards, isnt it? :D). And the Plant Garden some nodes before the Smoldering Dungeon in AZ1, and at least one Sea Fight! There could be even more right now.
      okay, they are all not as hard as AoM 6, but please ont trivialize all this fights!

I hope there will be more decks of this type, perhaps you should add something like: "Mill cards until you milled a troop or 5 cards"
      Otherwise decks without troops are be killed much too easily from us.
      But i Like this kind of deck to play against, so plz dont let them die because of such a powerful buff.

Thanks Hex for all the other changes, they are good and i'm happy to see them.
      Keep that going :D
      Dinglers are the best race on Entrath!
    • Treasure wrote:

So you make different ban list for different formats but instead of using them you nerf all across the board and ruin for a lot of players their only deck they had to do fra 2.0 , maybe putting the some cards on the banlist would have made less people angry.
      Read the article they already had their eyes on those cards for PVE
    • nqumyf wrote:

Lunavi wrote:

nqumyf wrote:

I just want to say, that Im really happy about all these changes (Well, most of then. The parrot one was unnessecary imo.).
      The Nerfs were mostly reasonable and small enough to keep the cards still playable. (Maybe too harsh on the lookout or some cards I havent pleyed myself)
      I also really like the fact, that you didnt just „fix“ problem cards by nerfing them into uselessness, but kept them reasonable, as well as buff some weaker cards.
      Please keep up the great work and maybe buff some more cards into usefullness.
      Phenteo's gift really is not playable any longer. While 3 terror eggs is nice to put in the opponent's deck it is not worth an entire card and I would never be happy to top deck it mid to late game without the recurring effect. Making the equipment put it back into the deck rather than hand is a hard nerf at it is a card I never want to draw post turn 3 (without recurring effect that is), it simply does not add to the table or sets up for the win, it is a classical Blizzard nerf that removed everything that made the card playable in the first place, and I would dare say this card got nerfed harder than Warsong Commander.
      I disagree here.Yes, they removed Phenteos Gift as a win condition.
      Yes, the equip is now basicly useless.

But how much ressources would you pay for a 5/5 that kills something.
      Hitting even one Terrorantula gives a deck a heavy push into one direction and a dedicated mill deck should hit atleast one Egg before it dies.
      Hitting that egg wont end the game on the spot like it did before, but most likely give you enough time to mill your opponent out.
      The cost increase makes the card have an actual risk to play, since you do loose tempo now for the potential huge tempo gain of getting a Terrorantula.

Therefore I think that even though it lost a huge amount of power, Phenteos Gift ist still a good card.
      I would maybe pay 6 mana for it as I am of the opinion that a card costing more than 6 should either win you the game instantly or put you in a position where you can not realistically lose the game considering the high amount of resources you put into it, but that is not the problem, the problem is that the card does nothing when top decked, which is very important for a card to do unless it is part of a combo or engine as otherwise it might very well be a blank card in a situation when something is needed. If it gave me those 5/5 spiders with certainty within the next couple of turns I would have been fine with it as 2 is about the price I would pay to get a 5/5 that destroys one troop in 2 turns (remember that the card being able to be a blank in some situations IS an actual cost to deck consistency), but with the nerf to most reliant recurring mill cards I do not see this happen consistently enough for this card to be able to be consistently good. For all I know this card is going to be a blank 30-40% of the time, especially if drawn late game, and that fact alone does outweigh any value those terror eggs could have had in my opinion as I highly value consistency.

While it in some situations could still be a good card there is one final nail in the coffin for this card, and that is the existence of Phenteo the Brood Priest. I think I am way more likely to play Phenteo the Brood Priest after Gifs's nerf instead as in between the cost increase and lack of recurrence with the new Phenteo's Gift, there are few reasons to play it over Phenteo the Brood Priest plus that Phenteo is an OK blocker when he lands on the field at 1/4 for 3 (not good, but he can wall smaller things negating some damage), while he has to stay alive a turn to get Terror Eggs into the deck I am when playing eggs pretty happy with my opponent using their third turn to cast a removal rather than developing their board.

I am fine with the nerf though, but I highly doubt the Gift will be relevant as to have it be almost as good as Phenteo the Brood Priest you also need to use your weapon slot. Thinking more about it a couple of hours after reading, it might still be a good fringe budget card, but I highly doubt it will remain relevant in higher level PvE decks, and that is fine as not all cards needs or even should be great.
    • I believe they said something about the balancing of FRA in the siege twitch reveal.

As to terrormill - it was expected. The deck is the best deck in FRA, but the problem is, that all the important cards are easily obtainable in campain/FRA. The price is therefore very low.
      I guess Hex ent. doesn't care that much, if a deck is extremely good, as long as it isn't so easily accesable...

Treasure wrote:

So you make different ban list for different formats but instead of using them you nerf all across the board and ruin for a lot of players their only deck they had to do fra 2.0 , maybe putting the some cards on the banlist would have made less people angry.
      It was long expected. At least some nerf for Phenteo's gift and the diamond clause for SoR.
      I was just surprised they also added nazhk lookout and spiraling end...

And btw, the slaughtergear nerf was much worse, cause it came out of the blue, affected cards, that were hard to obtain and weren't even in the top Arena decks...

Draconix wrote:

might be easier of we rephrased it slightly.

NERF the slaughtetgear nerf!
      Yes, this could work! :D
    • Lunavi wrote:

While it in some situations could still be a good card there is one final nail in the coffin for this card, and that is the existence of Phenteo the Brood Priest. I think I am way more likely to play Phenteo the Brood Priest after Gifs's nerf instead as in between the cost increase and lack of recurrence with the new Phenteo's Gift, there are few reasons to play it over Phenteo the Brood Priest plus that Phenteo is an OK blocker when he lands on the field at 1/4 for 3 (not good, but he can wall smaller things negating some damage), while he has to stay alive a turn to get Terror Eggs into the deck I am when playing eggs pretty happy with my opponent using their third turn to cast a removal rather than developing their board.
      The vast majority of players do not, and never will, have Phenteo.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.