Where have all the exalted gone?

• Where have all the exalted gone?

With the exception of Havok not single exalted player is streaming hex or even playing it currently. I don't know if this is the result of the meta and frankly I don't care. These people were giving high honors within the community, by the community and because they don't find the game interesting right now or whatever reason they have for not playing is fairly inexcusable. When you carry a high honor such as the title of exalted you become, not by contract, but by community favor a representative of the game, and right now none of them are representing the game. This is no way a personal attack on the exalted, all of them a quite friendly, but the fact they don't feel the least bit obligated to play and promote the game saddens me greatly. :(
    • Once upon a time, mighty Exalted ruled over the world of Entrath. As we all know, everything has its end, even Hero of Legend may Herofall someday, Exalted were no exception. One day HE has came. Dinglewiz challenged Exalted and battled them for many days, until majority of them got caught by his cruel curse - Mass Polymorph Dingler , others who were afraid of being Dingleed escaped into mountains and rumors say they live there like wild animals cursing Dingler King everyday.
    • DjinnNtoniC wrote:

the fact they don't feel the least bit obligated to play and promote the game saddens me greatly
      They already did that, or something along those lines, if they got the Exalted title. But they're not employed by HXE or anything, so why would they feel obliged to do even more, when the only thing they got is a vanity art card? Also, some of them didn't even get the Exalted title for streaming in the first place, like the creator of hex.tcgbrowser. Also, it's not only Exalted, what about those that Kickstarted for thousands of dollars? Many (most?) are not around. The problem is that production of the game is so slow and th audience is so small that they don't feel that their time associating with it would be worth it. They can make more money streaming other games / working other jobs. Haven't you noticed how the biggest Hex streams (like the CCS) only get up to 100-150 viewers at the most? The game is a non-factor.
    • Im gonna go off on a limb here and say the community had very little to do with most exalted choices - and frankly, them leaving (besides the butthurt one that was a PR move anyway) should be a wake-up call. They owe Hex (and US) precisely nothing.

Anyway, the problem isn't that production of the game is slow. The problem is reality didn't fit the pitch. We were sold something that led in with a lotus and a sneaky dual and starting the whole process from the ground up and we've gotten a mishmash of other crap based on, I don't know, the whims of a couple designers.

I'm one of those guys that put thousands into the kickstarter. I know about seventy others like me. Only three of us still play.

We were told we'd have a wild west mode. We were made vague promises about EDH. We were told there'd be more supplemental products in so many works.

What we've gotten is a fine pvp game, a mediocre pve game, and dev cycles spent on things that don't even make sense when you scratch the surface. I mean, who was asking for siege mode? I understand people are excited, but it's pretty easy to excite people with a mediocre beverage when they've been wandering through a desert.

Anyway, we wanted the next evolution of Magic as a genre touchstone and we've gotten 1.1 instead of 2.0.

I don't know how many times I have to say this or how many ways I have to phrase it, but to beat the best you've got to be the best. And right now they haven't hit the bare minimum required to be the best.

I still love Hex and see the potential, it's why I'm here and haven't gone back to other games. Every day I look at the news hoping for the headline "Our head was removed from our asses with surgical precision and we went back and looked at what excited people in the first place." I might get that headline eventually. Maybe. Probably not.

Edit: Besides all that, my bigger concern is the lack of visibility around Colin and Cory just fading out of Friday updates. They were vacuous and empty for the most part but they were important. If he's not excited about the game, why should we be?

The post was edited 1 time, last by schild ().

• DjinnNtoniC wrote:

With the exception of Havok not single exalted player is streaming hex or even playing it currently. I don't know if this is the result of the meta and frankly I don't care. These people were giving high honors within the community, by the community and because they don't find the game interesting right now or whatever reason they have for not playing is fairly inexcusable. When you carry a high honor such as the title of exalted you become, not by contract, but by community favor a representative of the game, and right now none of them are representing the game. This is no way a personal attack on the exalted, all of them a quite friendly, but the fact they don't feel the least bit obligated to play and promote the game saddens me greatly. :(
      I'm not Exalted, maybe one day :P

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon
    • schild wrote:

I mean, who was asking for siege mode? I understand people are excited, but it's pretty easy to excite people with a mediocre beverage when they've been wandering through a desert.

Anyway, we wanted the next evolution of Magic as a genre touchstone and we've gotten 1.1 instead of 2.0.

I don't know how many times I have to say this or how many ways I have to phrase it, but to beat the best you've got to be the best. And right now they haven't hit the bare minimum required to be the best.
      I don't think they need to be the best (their limited resources makes it hard to complete against giants like Blizzard and Hasbro), but they do need to carve out a niche for themselves and execute on that thoroughly.

Their efforts have been too spread out and they had a spray and pray kind of approach hoping that they'd have a bit of everything and they could find something that sticks. But in this current market as an indie if there's nothing truly outstanding about your product that can't be found elsewhere, it's hard for you to convert/retain new players (who won't give you the time to explore all your hidden intricacies) and consequently also hard for word-of-mouth growth to occur. PvE is that opportunity for them but unfortunately they really blew a lot of time & resources there developing a convoluted Adventure Zone concept with super complex side systems (racials, talent trees and mercenaries) but with a core game that lacked any social side, substance, end-game, replayability.

The logical evolution from that experiment and the perceived bottlenecks (at least from my point of view, and I've been vocal about this for years) was to rely on a user generated content model. It was clear that even if you created more highly sought out features like raids or co-op, there wasn't going to be enough content to keep those players entertained long enough until new content is generated. The beauty of TCGs is that there are insane amount of permutations that are possible just from rearranging certain cards, champions, and other deck customization options (which pretty much any player can do fairly competently, unlike say creating a new interesting Mario level which is much harder if you're not a pro designer). So yeah, Keeps/Siege makes a ton of sense as a mode and serves as an excellent base (contrary to FRA/AZ) upon which to build more exciting PvE aspects/features.

Watching the dev stream few days ago reconfirmed all those theories I had and really gives me something tangible (not some faint KS dream) to get excited to brainstorm, play, and witness its evolution. I had a ton of fun watching Ryan/Jared playing it and I think it can remain fresh for a long time as long as they keep building it out slowly with new quirks. I've already written an extensive post of what I feel the mode can evolve into, so I won't reiterate that, but I think it has the potential to be a great stand-alone feature that is platform agnostic, caters to different player types, limitless/sustainable/ever-green in terms of content, social/MMOish, competitive, streamable, easy understandable/digestable, and most importantly: fun.
    • Bootlace wrote:

schild wrote:

I mean, who was asking for siege mode? I understand people are excited, but it's pretty easy to excite people with a mediocre beverage when they've been wandering through a desert.

I don't think they need to be the best
      While I read your whole post, I'm stopping at this because this is where things went south. They should feel a need to be the best. You go for the king, you best not miss. The lawsuit is over. They went at the king. They missed.

I don't know if contractual obligation is forcing that miss or just simply bad management. But something did.

Edit: It's worth pointing out, there are still steps they can take to get back on track pretty quickly and easily (barring aforementioned contractual obligations that we don't know about) - but tbh it's starting to feel like they don't care.
    • Mystery wrote:

schild wrote:

Bootlace wrote:

schild wrote:

but tbh it's starting to feel like they don't care.

I definitely disagree with that. We can argue over whether they have made wrong decisions, or how easy it would be to implement various ideas, but I feel like the passion for Hex from Cory and the other Hex staff has been consistently strong.
      This isn't a point I'm going to argue about, as it's about *feelings.*
    • I'm still here. Honestly just needed a bit of a break after streaming and playing, streaming and creating content the game relentless without stop for nearly 5 years.
      Have some stuff going on in my life right now, this is my least favourite set to date. So all things considered this is just the best time for me to take some time for me.
      I don't really have time to stream anything at all right now.

I'm not going anywhere long term though.

Still, even if i were leaving, and if any of the other exalted want to not play that's their choice.
      You don't take a gold medal away from someone if they don't keep running.

Relax though, i'm happy you miss me, but i will always be with you.

NicoSharp wrote:

I'm pretty sure once they return the everlasting draft ticket to Cory, they embrace and blast off in the glass elevator test server, where they play primal drafts and Siege all day long under NDA.
      We're in an eternal 5-man raid against Princess Cory Prime. Chris made the AI too strong and it has become sentient. We have been selected to hold the princess back from taking over the server so you guys can still play.
    • schild wrote:

This isn't a point I'm going to argue about, as it's about *feelings.*
      you said, and I quote 'they don't care' - caring is about feelings...

Then when someone else uses feelings, you tell them you're not going to argue it because it's feelings?

Okies.

Infamousneo wrote:

Still, even if i were leaving, and if any of the other exalted want to not play that's their choice.
      Indeed. Each individual has to decide what they want to do, and it is not for us to judge anyone who decides Hex is no longer on the 'want to do' list. Exalted or not.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Its been close to five years, people will naturally bounce around and play other games or pursue other interests that's natural. I fully expect our exalted friends (and other lovers of HEX) to be back at some point... maybe next week when we launch Siege... who knows?

Colin lost over a 100 pounds and is running marathons... that's a GREAT use of his time and I am happy AND jealous of this dedication, if he wants to come back to HEX awesome but it sounds like his priorities are in the right place :)

I wont get into an argument about if every decision I have made in terms of direction on the game is correct... I feel certain under the circumstances they where. BUT I will say, I remain the games creator and biggest cheerleader, I care VERY much about the communities happiness and the quality of what we are making, that's 90% of my focus day in and day out... everyday...

I do agree about the update update, I should keep doing it...

-cory