Cory interview transcript (@HAVOC's birthday stream - Feb 7th 2018)

• Azuchi wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

I'd be cool with that for no reason other than it means they're getting away from the mentality that new PvE features need an AZ release associated with them.
      I'm honestly not sure why they can't dedicate themselves to the heavy lifting involved in creating the core framework for a new AZ, and then just focus on releasing a map node/special area/dungeon at a time. Regular PvE updates (of any size) would do a ton for the game. Being able to decide to log back in a week for an extra node, or a month for an extra three, would be a great nudge to come back to the game- much like catching up with episodes of a favored TV series.
      Cause they are focusing on making the player base bigger. Extra dungeons for people who already play don't do that.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Ossuary wrote:

Neither does adding more cosmetic rewards to the ladder. :P
      Indeed.

Community: We don't want to play STD, give us Immortal and more Rock support, maybe some fun formats.
      HexEnt: What about multiple STD Bashes instead of one?
      Community: We don't want to play STD...
      HexEnt: What about extra cosmetic rewards for playing STD on ladder?
      Community: -.-'
    • Transience wrote:

Cause they are focusing on making the player base bigger. Extra dungeons for people who already play don't do that.
      By this point, given the quantity of recent such responses, I'd swear that misunderstanding context is a deliberate Hex forum-goer pasttime. :/

I wasn't at all referencing their overall approach and prioritizations [if you've been following other recent threads, you'd know PvE content is definitely not at the top of the list of things I want them to focus on], but on their approach to PvE content when they do prioritize it.

Not every comment someone on these forums makes needs to be taken as a veiled demand for something. :P

Morwath wrote:

Indeed.
      Community: We don't want to play STD [as it is], give us [more support for underdeveloped formats across the board], maybe [add] some fun formats.
      HexEnt: What about multiple STD Bashes instead of one?
      Community: We don't want to play STD [as it is]...
      HexEnt: What about extra cosmetic rewards for playing STD on ladder?
      Community: -.-'
      I'd say that's a bit more accurate?
      Everyone has their own thing they want to see prioritized, but it all boils down to wanting them to focus on updating the things that aren't working, not the things that are working (but perhaps could benefit from extra encouragment). Ie, focus on what benefits the general player base, rather than what benefits the most dedicated Standard players only.

It's like adding an extra pocket to a pair of pants, when there's a big gaping hole at the crotch needing a patch. Both things are nice additions, but one is clearly a bit more problematic to go around with, unattended.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Azuchi ().

• Transience wrote:

Azuchi wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

I'd be cool with that for no reason other than it means they're getting away from the mentality that new PvE features need an AZ release associated with them.
      I'm honestly not sure why they can't dedicate themselves to the heavy lifting involved in creating the core framework for a new AZ, and then just focus on releasing a map node/special area/dungeon at a time. Regular PvE updates (of any size) would do a ton for the game. Being able to decide to log back in a week for an extra node, or a month for an extra three, would be a great nudge to come back to the game- much like catching up with episodes of a favored TV series.
      I feel like they put the cart before the ox.

As new player retention is extremely low (the forum is full of posts about how friends invited to the game don't stay even for a week), maybe they should have fixed that first by improing the new player experience, the tutorial etc...

As of now, new players may arrive with PS4/Tablet/X-Box/whatever releases, but how much percent of them stays?

Are we repeating the absolutely botched Steam release?
    • Azuchi wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

i think the periodic PVE releases would be a good way to introduce more of the story of the game world. We have 8 races with notable personas, the FRA, various neutral factions and races, dragons, primals etc...

(And we have the stupid MurderBalls with no interesting features or even a single personality... sigh)
    • Largashbur wrote:

They are working on the new player experience right now, remember Clippy?

Kitty.
      Uhm... was this some obscure reference?

Yeah, they said the same AFTER the Steam release. (which was already late) Now, we are after the PS4 release. Maybe we have to wait only 2 more years. Let's be optimistic!

(I will believe they are working on it when it's finished. //sarcasm Well, at this point, maybe not even then. //sarcasm off)

But I guess the PS4/tablet/xbox/mobile players will gladly wait 2 years after the release on said platform for a better new player experience. This worked really well 2 years ago on Steam too. I guess they are still waiting, because that's sure as hell that they don't play the game now.