Cory interview transcript (@HAVOC's birthday stream - Feb 7th 2018)

• schild wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

they came to the conclusion that the market for multiplayer is small enough
      You really think so? 'cause I feel that it's the reason their Kickstarter was so successful.
      that's some inaccurate feels you've got there
      I mean, sure, but if you think about it, what did the Hex KS promise that was new and could not be found elsewhere? PvE and multiplayer. Also, I said "so" successful, not saying that it wouldn't have hit some smaller goal without. We could go back and check the Kickstarter backer tier, but I think that apart from a secific few, many are for both PvE and PvP perks so we can't exactly compare.
    • Vroengard wrote:

schild wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

they came to the conclusion that the market for multiplayer is small enough
      You really think so? 'cause I feel that it's the reason their Kickstarter was so successful.
      that's some inaccurate feels you've got there
      I mean, sure, but if you think about it, what did the Hex KS promise that was new and could not be found elsewhere? PvE and multiplayer. Also, I said "so" successful, not saying that it wouldn't have hit some smaller goal without. We could go back and check the Kickstarter backer tier, but I think that apart from a secific few, many are for both PvE and PvP perks so we can't exactly compare.
      uh

cheaper magic-esque gameplay without a completely shit client

this isn't some ancient riddle no one has solved for centuries

edit: also, we don't need to check the kickstarter tiers, it's pretty common knowledge GK and Pro ran out first and they had to add drafts for the first year to the other tiers to make them have any value at all
    • There really weren't, when the kickstarter was going. And everyone that was playing MtGO saw an opportunity for an actually-good product.

Plus there was the whole "invest now, get rich by being on the ground floor- think of all the alpha dual lands you'll be able to collect in hex!" mania going around.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Vroengard wrote:

schild wrote:

cheaper magic-esque gameplay without a completely shit client

this isn't some ancient riddle no one has solved for centuries
      Right? There's so many choices around for that. Why would someone choose Hex over something that offers a similar product and it's from an experienced and bigger studio? That's what I said.
      there were zero and now theres 1, Hex

if there were another, id be playing it

Obsidian wrote:

There really weren't, when the kickstarter was going. And everyone that was playing MtGO saw an opportunity for an actually-good product.

Plus there was the whole "invest now, get rich by being on the ground floor- think of all the alpha dual lands you'll be able to collect in hex!" mania going around.

tbf they teased a lotus, dual, ffa format, etc
    • Obsidian wrote:

Eh, I never got on voice with MtGO. Maybe I might a bit with a friend, and maybe if we were raiding, but I don't see that as being a saving point for the feature. I think it's ok regardless, though.

In fairness, I could definitely believe they came to the conclusion that the market for multiplayer is small enough that it takes a back seat to other features like tablet, siege mode, PvE, etc, so I'm fine if that's the case. I just hate seeing this particular excuse, because it's simply wrong.
      You know the interview stated they are thinling about doing raids before az3 because it will bring in more people.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Eh, I never got on voice with MtGO. Maybe I might a bit with a friend, and maybe if we were raiding, but I don't see that as being a saving point for the feature. I think it's ok regardless, though.

In fairness, I could definitely believe they came to the conclusion that the market for multiplayer is small enough that it takes a back seat to other features like tablet, siege mode, PvE, etc, so I'm fine if that's the case. I just hate seeing this particular excuse, because it's simply wrong.
      You know the interview stated they are thinling about doing raids before az3 because it will bring in more people.
      what other extremely heavy-lifting required mechanics/modes are they putting in before low-hanging fruit?
    • schild wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

what other extremely heavy-lifting required mechanics/modes are they putting in before low-hanging fruit?
      They need to do something because pvp isnt working and hasnt worked in years (especially non casual pvp). They are hoping ps4 japan gives them a large market. My bet is that if that doesnt happen, then hex will look very different next year.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

schild wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

They need to do something because pvp isnt working and hasnt worked in years (especially non casual pvp). They are hoping ps4 japan gives them a large market. My bet is that if that doesnt happen, then hex will look very different next year.
      wat
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

I'd be cool with that for no reason other than it means they're getting away from the mentality that new PvE features need an AZ release associated with them. It should make their PvE development more flexible and manageable. There are a lot of features, and to weigh them down with an AZ per release probably makes PvE development frustratingly slow.

I know I said raids and multiplayer are low on my list, but new fights are new fights. Whether it's a new AZ or raids to tackle, they both give me reasons to use my PvE characters and tools.

It strikes me as odd that they could pivot that largely in design direction, but /shrug.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

schild wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

That format that got 5 new tournaments every week last year?

Yep, not working at all.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Cory specifically mentioned the clash and bash as only getting 70 people. The week day tournaments have been great imo (they could benefit from asynch).
      And your conclusion is "pvp isnt working and hasnt worked in years"?
      *Turns tjhe envelope around and starts doing math.*
      Well, let's say that there are 100 competitive tournament players. And every one of them invests 250$ on average per set. that would mean that after 25 1k cash prize tournaments they would need to drop a new set to break even.

...carry the 2 ...

They are nailing it. :)
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

Transience wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Cory specifically mentioned the clash and bash as only getting 70 people. The week day tournaments have been great imo (they could benefit from asynch).
      *Turns tjhe envelope around and starts doing math.*Well, let's say that there are 100 competitive tournament players. And every one of them invests 250$ on average per set. that would mean that after 25 1k cash prize tournaments they would need to drop a new set to break even.

...carry the 2 ...

That is correct except you forgot to factor in other costs.
      They need to spend time/resources for the new set. Server costs for hosting etc

So with 250 dollar per set for each player (counted 100 players) they would lose money and go bankrubt.
      Hexent knows the numbers and they said they where stable so lets hope they can push everything through
    • New

Frederik wrote:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

Transience wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

*Turns tjhe envelope around and starts doing math.*Well, let's say that there are 100 competitive tournament players. And every one of them invests 250$ on average per set. that would mean that after 25 1k cash prize tournaments they would need to drop a new set to break even.
      ...carry the 2 ...

That is correct except you forgot to factor in other costs.They need to spend time/resources for the new set. Server costs for hosting etc

So with 250 dollar per set for each player (counted 100 players) they would lose money and go bankrubt.
      Hexent knows the numbers and they said they where stable so lets hope they can push everything through
      Ok. I almost never use smileys. If i do it is solely to circumvent Poe's law.
      Apparently i need a new strategy.
      You have demonstrated, that Tournament PvP does indeed not support the game fully.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri