Cory interview transcript (@HAVOC's birthday stream - Feb 7th 2018)

• Sigh. "I promise you won't like 4-player if you tried it."
      Yeah, I played MtG Commander 4-player. It was worth putting up with. I wish they'd put down that argument.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

Sigh. "I promise you won't like 4-player if you tried it."
      Yeah, I played MtG Commander 4-player. It was worth putting up with. I wish they'd put down that argument.
      tbf I think they don't think we'd like a pve enabled Singleton 100card min 2x life format either since the official reason we don't have it as a deck filter is "hurrrrrrrr jurb dur dur."
    • Obsidian wrote:

Sigh. "I promise you won't like 4-player if you tried it."
      I don't think their intent is to say that '4-player isn't fun' but rather 'the UI doesn't work well enough for 4-player to BE fun'. And I can buy that, to a degree.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I know that's what they're saying, and I'm saying I disagree. Playing commander online can be a little clunky, but it has to be, and it's still fun in spite of the interface.

To be completely frank, the whole priority system isn't optimal for online play, but that shouldn't, and didn't, stop them from using it online for simple 1v1 matches, because it makes the game better and you can't get around it. It's no different for multiplayer. You're not going to find a system that preserves the quality/depth of the gameplay for multiplayer. You just have to accept that games will go slower. For a lot of people, it's worth the hassle.

They're saying they haven't given it a priority because "we think it will be fun, but we won't like it in practice," and I'm saying they're wrong. Like, they are already demonstrably wrong. It's already tolerable in MtGO, and it'll be more tolerable in Hex (though they may need to work on a 'yield to this ability every time' button like MtGO has).
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • I will have to agree with @Obsidian. If they were to go and fully commit to what they're saying, then the next thing is to remove the timer, the resources (as cards in the deck) and anything that is Quick, (i.e. they would've gone for the HS approach, not the MTG one). It's impossible to accept that they'd decide all on their own with 0 feedback from players that "We accept A, B, C and D clunkiness but E is where we draw the line".

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vroengard ().

• Eh, I never got on voice with MtGO. Maybe I might a bit with a friend, and maybe if we were raiding, but I don't see that as being a saving point for the feature. I think it's ok regardless, though.

In fairness, I could definitely believe they came to the conclusion that the market for multiplayer is small enough that it takes a back seat to other features like tablet, siege mode, PvE, etc, so I'm fine if that's the case. I just hate seeing this particular excuse, because it's simply wrong.
    • Well, I literally don't have that data. That's a business call that's up to CZE, whether a feature is worth their time or not. But I know I didn't back Hex for multiplayer. Raids would be interesting, but it was pretty far down my list of things I wanted. First and foremost were champions, mercenaries, and equipment. Especially the equipment. It was really the meat of the game, for me, and if we got that but never got multiplayer/raids, I'd be alright. (I understand that's not the same for others, and that's fine. We need to get all of it. But there's my preference and game experience.)

I can't speak for every backer, of course.