Card Design Contest - February 7th - February 15th, 2018

• Zyblen wrote:

Arcanyx wrote:

My best guess:

Recurrent ProphecyRare Constant Cost: XXDeploy: This gains X Omen counters.

When a Prophecy ability affects the next card of a particular type in a deck, instead the ability affects a number of the next cards of a particular type in that deck equal to the number of Omen counters on this.

"What will be, will be."

So it's still a little wonky... but I think it would work with HEX terminology.

On a side note, is your original card suppose to do nothing if X =1, since all prophecy effects already trigger once.... WAIT! Could you make X=0 and then cancel opposing prophecy effects?

There is also a small functional change with this version. This version would allow for bouncing and replaying shenanigans to get more Omen counters on it.

Either way, cool idea for supercharging prophecy.

...and that was fun... I like rules lawyering....
      Rules lawyering, I'll bite. Reversion - no more counters. Expensive constant is useless.
      Here's an easy way. "Prophecies instead affect X cards." Simple, short, leaves no room for weaseling, and one still uses the original text of the prophecy. "Deploy: Prophecy: The next action in your deck gets Quick." is translated in-engine to "Deploy: Prophecy: The next X actions in your deck get Quick."

Hee. I played Paranoia and D&D, as well as Scion and ShadowRun. Rules lawyering is awesome. And such makes for -excellent- cards in TCGs, because they're no longer able to be pulled up and "Rules as Written"'d versus intent. I love people like us, because we actively -look- for loopholes to pick at/point at/close.
      edit: I might be wrong - will try to rethink this.

Revert should restore the default value for every facet of the card, so logically it should still weaken your card. Which would be good as counters are healthy.

However... most 'cost x' effects are deploy or when played effects, so the cost x only has to be defined for a brief moment. In your example, since you created a permanent effect that is passive, but the cost isn't permanent... theoretically the effect simply shouldn't work at all... because the 'x' would only be defined for the brief moment you played the card, afterwards it would have no effect at all. Unless you use something like counters to define x beyond the initial moment of casting.

For example Obsidian Cyclops - when he's on the field, he's still a 2x cost card. Which means that if you were to remove him from play and put him into play again by an effect like decree of banishing, he wouldn't double in strength. Because on deploy, x is now 0.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Eraia ().

• New

Eternal Starlight
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Basic - Action

Escalation - Prophecy: The next 1 Action in your deck gets: Draw a card.

How many Stars are there ?

Rising Storm
      3 [RUBY] [WILD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Basic Action

Escalation: Escalate your cards in all zones 1 Time.

You see where I want to go with these cards......

The post was edited 1 time, last by nqumyf ().

• New

nqumyf wrote:

Eternal Starlight
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Basic - Action

Rising Storm
      Basic Action

Ooh. Shiny.

Escalating Escalation Effect. Escaception?

Still some more time to enter guys - if anyone else wants to take a stab.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• New

Okay, if we're gonna be evil and broken (this may have to be a PVE card due to the power, or the cost would have to be heavily monitored)...

Primal Empowerment
      Legendary Basic Action
      [WILD] [WILD] 12
      When you play a troop, this gets cost -1 in all zones.
      Your troops in all zones get: Empower and "When this is Empowered, its cost does not increase."
      In primal times, legends walked.

Rationale: What would a Wild version of the Ascensions look like? This has the "Empowerment" keyword that it adds to normal troops, with an additional bonus of making it free for those troops. It doesn't change the hero/champion, so it's not a true "Ascension."
      For reference:
      Psychic Ascension
      Demented Ascension
      Holy Ascension

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zyblen: Edit: May be PVP, but only with adjustment. ().

• New

Lita, the Harvester
      Legendary Necrotic

[DIAMOND] [DIAMOND] [BLOOD] [BLOOD] 8

SOCKET MAJOR
      SOCKET MAJOR
      SOCKET MINOR
      SOCKET MINOR

Deploy
      If Lita, the harvester was cast, put all Troops in both players’ graveyards into your deck and give them all sockets of Lita, the harvester. If Lita, the harvester was put on your field by any other means, add one random socketed card from your deck to your hand.

4/4
      Flavour Text: For the necrotic, war is a well nourished field ready for reaping.
    • New

Aaaand... judging starts now! :)

ThomThom wrote:

PvP card. Cost 2. Constant. One blood threshold :

At the start of your turn, discard a card at random, it deal X damage to each opponent, where X is that card converted mana cost.
      At the end of your turn, draw a card and lose X health, where X is that card converted mana cost.
      It seems like a fun card, but it doesn't really do too terribly much to fit the design constraint of 'positive impact on the deck'. Drawing cards kind of does, but the deck impact is really minor.

Zyblen wrote:

Circle of Time
      Rare Constant
      Cost: 4
      Prophecies, Deathcries, Momentum, and deploy effects trigger twice.
      "As it was, so it is, so it will be again." - Elder Mistsong

Alternatively...

Recurrent Prophecy
      Rare Constant

Cost: XX
      Prophecy effects trigger X times.
      "What will be, will be."
      I'm a huge fan of prophecy and Deathcry, so I can't deny that I love the thought of doubling those. I feel like Doubling MOMENTUM is probably too strong to be on a card that is both multi-purpose and threshold-non-specific. Like... play this and play a shard, and every momentum troop you have gains three... next turn they gain 7 attack and defense. That's a bit crazy.

Recurrent Prophecy is a bit more defined, and I think that, given we overcome the design concern about how to make it work they way you want it to, this is a fantastic card and one that would make a great addition to a prophecy focused set if they ever do another one. Love this idea. :)

Arcanyx wrote:

Rabble Rousing Revelry
      Constant

Whenever you play a resource, transform each non-resource card in your hand and in your deck into a random card of the same shards and with a cost equal to your resource points.

"When the party starts rocking, the revelers start knocking."
      This is such an interesting way to change the game. I would totally love to build a deck around this. It's such an interesting puzzle to solve - how best to implement and sequence a deck that is built around top-decking randomness.

BlazingRagnarok wrote:

Contingency Plan
      Quick Action (Rare)

Void a card in your hand and each other card that shares a name with it in your hand and deck. Add a number of cards from your reserves up to the number of cards voided this way to your deck.

Tovgar Krugg, Replicator
      Unique Troop-Dwarf Mage (Legendary)

Whenever a troop enters play under your control, add a replica of it to your deck.
      Deathcry-Replace each non-artifact troop in your deck and hand with a replica, then give each replica in your deck, hand, and in play +1 /+1 and .

2/2
      I always like mechanics that make reserves relevant, so I do quite like your first card. I will say that I fear that it might prove TOO valuable and give sapphire an edge over a lot of other decks just as a result of existing... but since you actually LOSE at least one card out of your hand, that might be enough of a tradeoff for the versatility.

Your second I'm less fond of. It just feels like it has too much of an impact for a 3 cost troop simply by existing. "Kill my 3 cost troop and EVERYTHING in my deck becomes immune to kill, requires no thresholds, and gets +1/+1." It just seems like a straight up power boost and a card that simply excuses bad deck building.

Karot wrote:

PVP Uncommon
      Think Happy Thoughts
      Basic Action
      0 Mana (1 sapphire threshold)

Create two copies of this card and put them into your deck, then draw a card.

"Let's all calm down, breath in, breath out..."~ Tranquil Tea, Coyotle cleric
      I like this card. Very simple, elegant, and would work really well with card modification effects like Angel of Foresight, prophecy, or candlelight. Very creative design for something so simple.

CastleAnthrax wrote:

PvE card: Scraptech Sorter

Artifact
      cost 3

When an artifact you control enters your crypt from the battlefield, void it, then randomly choose one of the following: Gain 1 Health, draw 1 card, or create a random Plans and put it into your deck.

Flavor text: "Nothing is so worn out that it is completely useless"

Equipment: Sorting Bins (Trinket)
      You may choose the outcome you want
      Clever, kind of 'Verdict for dwarves' in a way. The dreadling synergy would be insane. And I always love plans. Ingenuity Engine here we come! :)

SupremeEvil wrote:

PvP card: Future Knowledge

X cost

look at X random cards in your deck and put them on top of your deck in chosen order.
      Very powerful card. This would DEFINITELY need a threshold to work. I do like the concept, although I feel that the information and control it grants you might warrant some additional cost.

Firellius wrote:

The Gaal Cards
      Artifact
      1, Exhaust this -> Put three random Gaal Cards into your deck.
      When you play a Gaal Card, draw a card.
      You've designed a full on minigame for me. I'm gonna review them all as a set, I hope you're okay with that.

There's a lot of interesting area for play here, and countering mill is always something I'm in favour of. I think they might be too powerful, since they're free and draw you a card... but I do love minigames. And this one actually still requires you to have a deck to really work, since there aren't many troop options. Great idea.

(Next wave of card judgement will follow in a few hours - gotta go home from work soon.)

• New

CastleAnthrax wrote:

Vampire Hunter (PvP)

Rare Troop-Human
      3 /3

Exhaust this: Destroy target vampire with ATK equal or less than this troop's ATK.

Equipment: Splintered Stake (weapon)

Add: "Exhaust this: Give target human troop you control "Exhaust this: Destroy target vampire with ATK equal or less than this troop's ATK."
      I'm not sure how this meets the requirements of impacting your deck.

Bazou wrote:

[WILD] [SAPPHIRE] 3 The mixer
      Quick action
      All player put hands in to their deck, then shuffle both deck in to a new deck then split in to a new deck for each player.
      Draw a card
      Well now... that's a... strange layer of rng. One player could end up totally screwed by getting no shards of the threshold they need to play the cards they get lol... this almost feels more like a mechanic for a dungeon encounter somewhere than a playable card.

invinible wrote:

Name: Spring Cleaning
      Cost: 2
      Threshold Requirement: none
      Type: Quick Action
      Rarity: Legandary
      Abilities: Move each bane in your deck into a random opposing deck user's deck.
      Favor Text: Bye bye trash. - Lost Cause
      Pretty simple mechanic, a nice f*** you to spiders or the like. Pretty limited in functionality, but certainly a nice hate card :)

nqumyf wrote:

Eternal Starlight
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Basic - Action

Rising Storm
      Basic Action

I want to see the other escalate cards in this cycle now! You've got my both intrigued and excited by this idea. I'm almost disappointed these cards won't exist!

Zyblen wrote:

Okay, if we're gonna be evil and broken (this may have to be a PVE card due to the power, or the cost would have to be heavily monitored)...

Primal Empowerment
      Legendary Basic Action
      [WILD] [WILD] 12
      When you play a troop, this gets cost -1 in all zones.
      Your troops in all zones get: Empower and "When this is Empowered, its cost does not increase."
      In primal times, legends walked.

Rationale: What would a Wild version of the Ascensions look like? This has the "Empowerment" keyword that it adds to normal troops, with an additional bonus of making it free for those troops. It doesn't change the hero/champion, so it's not a true "Ascension."
      For reference:
      Psychic Ascension
      Demented Ascension
      Holy Ascension
      So... empower is a weird keyword. It can't just be 'added' to a card, because the game needs an 'empowered' version of the card to exist... but ignoring that, and assuming what you propose here were possible... we're basically doubling every effect on every troop in our deck at no extra cost... AND making our cards immune to herofall/into the unknown/etc... that's a crazy crazy effect. And it certainly is creative... great entry Zyblen. :)

Lunavi wrote:

Lita, the Harvester
      Legendary Necrotic

[DIAMOND] [DIAMOND] [BLOOD] [BLOOD] 8

SOCKET MAJOR
      SOCKET MAJOR
      SOCKET MINOR
      SOCKET MINOR

Deploy
      If Lita, the harvester was cast, put all Troops in both players’ graveyards into your deck and give them all sockets of Lita, the harvester. If Lita, the harvester was put on your field by any other means, add one random socketed card from your deck to your hand.

4/4
      Flavour Text: For the necrotic, war is a well nourished field ready for reaping.
      This is a risky card since you may not have the thresholds to play your opponent's troops, but damn is it a powerful payoff card if it works. The quad sockets seems almost overkill, honestly. But I like giving socketable powers to things, so I'm on board. :)

• New

Okay this was an insanely hard decision.

Winner: @nqumyf
      Runner Up: @Karot
      Second runner up: @Arcanyx

I'll try to get the prizes(and bonus door prizes) out either tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Nqumyf, you're up - I look forward to your contest!

Greaat entries everyone. :)