Card Design Contest - February 7th - February 15th, 2018

• Card Design Contest - February 7th - February 15th, 2018

The Rules:
      Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Design a card which affects your deck in an interesting, positive way. Whether it be bringing cards back, adding new cards, or modifying your existing cards, anything goes - but I want to see something unique. For this contest, I am only accepting cards that affect your deck, not cards that affect the opponent's deck.(although a card that affected both would still be eligible provided the affect to your deck was positive)

Examples and Suggestions:
      There are many examples of this in PvE and PvP, including the entire Prophecy suite, Swampbutt's champ power, Robogoyle's card return, Lady Devonshire's action recursion, and Angel of Foresight's replication.

You are welcome to design either a PvP or a PvE effect, but please specify which you're designing so I can judge balance appropriately.

Judging Criteria:
      Here's what I focus on in judging, in order of priority:
      • Creativity - This contest is about doing something unique. Give me unique.
      • Balance - Make sure the card is not absurdly broken, just keep it in line a bit.
      • Elegance - The card's text should be easy to interpret at a glance.
      Rewards:
      1st
      2x Thunderbolt Warden
      2x The Berry Bunch
      2x Orchi-Notion
      1x Thunderfield Elder AA
      1x Might Makes Right AA
      1x Zip Zapper
      1x Sylvan Springs
      2nd
      2x Might Makes Right
      2x Archive Dweller
      2x Wakuna Crowfeather
      1x Loregoyle Curator
      1x Mordrom
      3rd
      4x Stingy Jack
      4x Egg Hunt
      4x Transcend
      2x Illusionary Schemer
      1x Lady Devonshire

As always, every entry I like will get a surprise bonus prize!

Deadline:
      The contest will end on Thursday, February 15th at Noon CST(Central Standard Time). I will try to judge it that afternoon and send prizes that evening.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

• Eraia wrote:

ThomThom wrote:

Is there a website where we can design such a card ?

Or do we just describ it here ?
      Most people just describe it in the thread - if you look at the previous contests you can get plenty of example. :)

for example: Card Design Contest Jan.29 - Feb. 5
      Alright, thank you. I guess Ps4 players can't receive reward I suppose. Don't matter :)

PvP card. Cost 2. Constant. One blood threshold :

At the start of your turn, discard a card at random, it deal X damage to each opponent, where X is that card converted mana cost.
      At the end of your turn, draw a card and lose X health, where X is that card converted mana cost.
      Booze and Rock'n Roll
    • ThomThom wrote:

Alright, thank you. I guess Ps4 players can't receive reward I suppose. Don't matter
      Ya, with mail not being there, that's not an easy possibility right now. However... I'll see what I can do if a PS4 player wins something. It may be possible to do something with the auction house.

Hopefully mail will happen sometime soon for them. I hate excluding them from this sort of thing...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Circle of Time
      Rare Constant
      Cost: 4
      Prophecies, Deathcries, Momentum, and deploy effects trigger twice.
      "As it was, so it is, so it will be again." - Elder Mistsong

Alternatively...

Recurrent Prophecy
      Rare Constant
      [WILD] [SAPPHIRE] [DIAMOND]
      Cost: XX
      Prophecy effects trigger X times.
      "What will be, will be."

Edit: PVP cards, even if the Prophecy archetype is mostly out of touch due to rotation, currently.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zyblen ().

• Probably a PvE card due to the severe randomness. Play this card and you will be playing a completely different style of game of HEX. Pretty much for the rest of the game, you will be playing one card a turn and it will always use all of your resources.

Rabble Rousing Revelry
      2 [WILD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Constant

Whenever you play a resource, transform each non-resource card in your hand and in your deck into a random card of the same shards and with a cost equal to your resource points.

"When the party starts rocking, the revelers start knocking."
    • Contingency Plan
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Quick Action (Rare)

Void a card in your hand and each other card that shares a name with it in your hand and deck. Add a number of cards from your reserves up to the number of cards voided this way to your deck.

Tovgar Krugg, Replicator
      3 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      Unique Troop-Dwarf Mage (Legendary)

Whenever a troop enters play under your control, add a replica of it to your deck.
      Deathcry-Replace each non-artifact troop in your deck and hand with a replica, then give each replica in your deck, hand, and in play +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] and [SPEED] .

2/2
    • Zyblen wrote:

Recurrent Prophecy
      Rare Constant

"What will be, will be."
      Just to confirm, if I played the +1/+1 prophecy card while a Recurrent Prophecy with value 3 was on the field, is it your intent that my next 3 troops get +1/+1 or my next troop get +3/+3? The writing would dictate the latter, but I wanted to confirm that was your intent :)

Interesting entries so far everyone. :)

• PvE card: Scraptech Sorter

Artifact
      cost 3

When an artifact you control enters your crypt from the battlefield, void it, then randomly choose one of the following: Gain 1 Health, draw 1 card, or create a random Plans and put it into your deck.

Flavor text: "Nothing is so worn out that it is completely useless"

Equipment: Sorting Bins (Trinket)
      You may choose the outcome you want
    • The Gaal Cards
      Artifact
      1, Exhaust this -> Put three random Gaal Cards into your deck.
      When you play a Gaal Card, draw a card.

"Gaal predict your future, yes? Pay up, pay up!"

The General
      Action - Gaal Card
      Troops you control gain +1/+1.

The Princess
      Action - Gaal Card
      Target troop you control gets +2/+2 and [STEADFAST].

The Crystal
      Action - Gaal Card
      Gain 3/0.

The Gravekeeper
      Action - Gaal Card
      Put up to three random cards from your Crypt into your deck.

The Scholar
      Action - Gaal Card
      Draw two cards.

The Stars
      Action - Gaal Card
      Prophecy: The next three troops in your deck get +2/+2

The Garden
      Action - Gaal Card
      Summon three Seed Pods.

The Priestess
      Action - Gaal Card
      Gain 10 health.

The Dinglerator
      Action - Gaal Card
      Create three Dinglers and put them into the enemy deck.

The Cauldron
      Action - Gaal Card
      Summon a random Witch.

The Lullabee
      Action - Gaal Card
      Exhaust target troop. It gets "This cannot ready during its controller's ready step".
    • Vampire Hunter (PvP)

Rare Troop-Human
      3 /3

Exhaust this: Destroy target vampire with ATK equal or less than this troop's ATK.

Equipment: Splintered Stake (weapon)

Add: "Exhaust this: Give target human troop you control "Exhaust this: Destroy target vampire with ATK equal or less than this troop's ATK."

The post was edited 1 time, last by CastleAnthrax ().

• Eraia wrote:

Zyblen wrote:

Recurrent Prophecy
      Rare Constant

"What will be, will be."
      Just to confirm, if I played the +1/+1 prophecy card while a Recurrent Prophecy with value 3 was on the field, is it your intent that my next 3 troops get +1/+1 or my next troop get +3/+3? The writing would dictate the latter, but I wanted to confirm that was your intent :)
      Interesting entries so far everyone. :)
      The intent was to iterate on the wording of Prophecy. I assume that the engine can handle "target next card meeting the criteria."
      Therefore, if paying 6 for an X=3, one should get "Deploy: Prophecy: The next troop in your deck gets +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] " repeated three times (with "next troop" iterating to next, next+1, next+2).
      This would, of course, make Prophecy ungodly powerful in a dedicated deck, but there is precedence in Inspire (and the coyotle don't have gods, anyway).

Edit: My inspiration was "How would Sacred Stance look if applied to Prophecy rather than Conscript" and "What would Inspire look like if affecting the deck and given a coyotle twist?" The former card was "what if effects triggered several times" which was refined to a deck-affecting recurrence in this one.
    • Zyblen wrote:

The intent was to iterate on the wording of Prophecy. I assume that the engine can handle "target next card meeting the criteria."
      Therefore, if paying 6 for an X=3, one should get "Deploy: Prophecy: The next troop in your deck gets +1 /+1 " repeated three times (with "next troop" iterating to next, next+1, next+2).
      This would, of course, make Prophecy ungodly powerful in a dedicated deck, but there is precedence in Inspire (and the coyotle don't have gods, anyway).

Edit: My inspiration was "How would Sacred Stance look if applied to Prophecy rather than Conscript" and "What would Inspire look like if affecting the deck and given a coyotle twist?" The former card was "what if effects triggered several times" which was refined to a deck-affecting recurrence in this one.
      That's kind of what I thought you were going for. Since I know what you mean I'll account for it, even though the wording would need to be different if it were actually to be implemented ;)

Thanks for the explanation :)

• Zyblen wrote:

The simplest way to solve it would be to say "Your Prophecy effects instead affect X targets." The 'best' way to say it, for programming clarity, would be "While this is in play, your Prophecy triggers resolve on X valid targets."
      Not quite.... prophecy doesn't target.

Then there is the problem of X costs on permanents. X costs works for actions because you typically won't be able to change the value of X in the middle of the resolution of the action. But what happens if you play this constant and then you change the cost of the constant while the constant is in play, such as Hawkor's ability (assuming this card has equipment)? Would it change the number of prophecy triggers? If so, what happens when the cost becomes odd? Anyways, these are rhetorical questions. I would propose to be clearer on the rules that this adds counters to itself when it enters play and then has an effect based on the counters on it.

My best guess:

Recurrent Prophecy
      Rare Constant

Deploy: This gains X Omen counters.

When a Prophecy ability affects the next card of a particular type in a deck, instead the ability affects a number of the next cards of a particular type in that deck equal to the number of Omen counters on this.

"What will be, will be."

So it's still a little wonky... but I think it would work with HEX terminology.

On a side note, is your original card suppose to do nothing if X =1, since all prophecy effects already trigger once.... WAIT! Could you make X=0 and then cancel opposing prophecy effects?

There is also a small functional change with this version. This version would allow for bouncing and replaying shenanigans to get more Omen counters on it.

Either way, cool idea for supercharging prophecy.

...and that was fun... I like rules lawyering....
    • Arcanyx wrote:

My best guess:

Recurrent ProphecyRare Constant

Deploy: This gains X Omen counters.

When a Prophecy ability affects the next card of a particular type in a deck, instead the ability affects a number of the next cards of a particular type in that deck equal to the number of Omen counters on this.

"What will be, will be."

So it's still a little wonky... but I think it would work with HEX terminology.

On a side note, is your original card suppose to do nothing if X =1, since all prophecy effects already trigger once.... WAIT! Could you make X=0 and then cancel opposing prophecy effects?

There is also a small functional change with this version. This version would allow for bouncing and replaying shenanigans to get more Omen counters on it.

Either way, cool idea for supercharging prophecy.

...and that was fun... I like rules lawyering....
      Rules lawyering, I'll bite. Reversion - no more counters. Expensive constant is useless.

Here's an easy way. "Prophecies instead affect X cards." Simple, short, leaves no room for weaseling, and one still uses the original text of the prophecy. "Deploy: Prophecy: The next action in your deck gets Quick." is translated in-engine to "Deploy: Prophecy: The next X actions in your deck get Quick."

Hee. I played Paranoia and D&D, as well as Scion and ShadowRun. Rules lawyering is awesome. And such makes for -excellent- cards in TCGs, because they're no longer able to be pulled up and "Rules as Written"'d versus intent. I love people like us, because we actively -look- for loopholes to pick at/point at/close.