The Clash/Bash Top 8 Payout structure should be slightly reworked IMO

• The Clash/Bash Top 8 Payout structure should be slightly reworked IMO

Should all players that make Top 8 receive a cash prize? 75
        Yes (53) 71%
        No (22) 29%
      G'day Hexers!

I just spent a hectic 8+ hours playing in the Clash. I managed to come 2nd place in the swiss with a 6-1 result and then the draft happened (my seated position gave me a pretty mediocre draft)... I then went on to lose round one to some very crazy transform luck by my opponent (damn you Wild Knight, transforming a 3 drop into Brosi Bouncer game 1 and Exalted Pathfinder game 2).

Alright, so Kismet wasn't with me and that happens but it is still a HORRIBLE experience to play all those hours and then my prize is 15 packs (already have the battleboard and sleeve). Considering how much time and effort every player that makes top 8 has to put in, I think it would be nice to slightly adjust the payout structure so that all the players that make it there gets some cold hard $$ CASH $$.

I just want to restate something... I wasn't happy after doing good... No one should feel bad after doing well in a tournament :(

I've included a Poll here as if it shows the community would prefer my proposed method or something similar, I don't see why Hex Ent shouldn't/couldn't change it as the total prize payout would stay the same (I do understand it is a bit more admin work but hey, we spent 9 hrs playing :P).

Here is my current proposal (if we leave it at a total of $1000), :

1st place - $400
      2nd place - $200
      3rd place - $100
      4th place - $100
      5-8th place - $50

I think this is a good starting point. Please leave feedback or your own suggestion if you have one.

Cheers

HAVOC

P.S - This is also one of the reasons I don't play the Bash and the Clash as it is a lot of time investment (2 days in a row!) and even if you do well and make top 8, you still ain't guaranteed a cash prize, which is the incentive that draws me into such lengthy tournaments and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for the majority of players.

Edit: Another alternate solution that I guess would feel better is give 5-8th place 6000 platinum (this is much better than packs). Also for any players that make top 8 that have already earned the sleeve and battleboard, an additional reward is given, perhaps another 2000 platinum.

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon

The post was edited 12 times, last by HAVOC ().

• I totally agree Havoc, I've made top 8 in a few tournaments and then lost to some really bad luck in round 1 (was to transform too actually!) and I agree it feels really bad to play for so long and then just to get packs. I'd love to see this change made, they could even lower the 1st place amount slightly if they wanted to tweak the overall numbers. I like your proposal though and would be happy to see it changed.
    • Definitely agreed here !

Contrary to DeathRealm, I'm usually not for the "more people get a small part of it" but it just make sense to divide the cash for the whole top8.
      And indeed, it feels bad to make top8 and not getting cash at all.... So I'd like to see it twisted as well.

Doubling the amount of admin work (64 players per month instead of 32) suck and I would understand that they refuse for that reason, but they should see it the other way... => That's 32 players more happy (and more likely to brag about it to their non-playing friends !) every month.

• I am going to be that guy....

The entire system is top heavy.

You paid into a top heavy tournament, knowing quite well that the structure really only rewards the top 4.

Before the first clash/bash launched, I had communicated clearly with HXE about some shortcomings of this mode, because it continues to only cater to a very niche demographic.

A lot needs to change for the tournament to be less feels-bad to the entrants before only the top 8 structure is reviewed. I would think the entire prize structure would be reconsidered to make the tournament more enticing for a larger playerbase to join, but no significant changes have been made.

I do hope for large tournaments like this some day, that are Asynch, so I can also take part in them.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

I am going to be that guy....

The entire system is top heavy.

You paid into a top heavy tournament, knowing quite well that the structure really only rewards the top 4.

Before the first clash/bash launched, I had communicated clearly with HXE about some shortcomings of this mode, because it continues to only cater to a very niche demographic.

A lot needs to change for the tournament to be less feels-bad to the entrants before only the top 8 structure is reviewed. I would think the entire prize structure would be reconsidered to make the tournament more enticing for a larger playerbase to join, but no significant changes have been made.

I do hope for large tournaments like this some day, that are Asynch, so I can also take part in them.
      I'd also like to see Asynchronous tournaments :)

• In that other major TCGs it is common place for 1k cash events to pay out cash to top 8 and 5k cash events to pay out cash to top 32.

People also consider that other TCG to be insanely top heavy - so the fact that hex is even more top heavy than that I always found kind of nuts.

I'm fairly biased though considering I've got half a dozen top 8 finishes and only 1 (maybe two?) top 4 or better finishes.
    • Couldnt agree more Havoc and while we are at it replace the AAA cards already and make sure they are not the same for over max 2 sets (best case new cards with every new set).

It seems like that doesnt cost HXE too much but those AAA cards are a substantial part of the prize when they are worth something (see herofall AAA) and are next to nothing when they have been there too long (and are not really desirable: looking at you frostlock).

The post was edited 3 times, last by Metronomy ().

• Metronomy wrote:

Couldnt agree more Havoc and while we are at it replace the AAA cards already and make sure they are not the same for over max 2 sets (best case new cards with every new set).

It seems like that doesnt cost HXE too much but those AAA cards are a substantial part of the prize when they are worth something (see herofall AAA) and are next to nothing when they have been there too long (and are not really desirable: looking at you frostlock).
      Speaking of which, how long have we had those AAA cards?

• This would make 9th placers with similar match results who don't make the top 8 because of weird tiebreakers even more sad.

I think it makes sense that the players who didn't manage to win a single match in the final tournament do not win a cash prize. That final tournament however needs to have all players that won an x amount of games in the first tournament.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • I'll agree the top 8 prize is a bit low considering if they wanted to give the proper pack equivalent they should be giving 30 packs each. Not sure why they are giving half the packs when hex prints them for free. If anything bump it to 35 or 40 packs. I do like the plat idea, but if hex doesn't want to do that at least distribute the proper pack amount for 5th-8th.

That being said I don't think more cash is the solution. Even the 1st place $500 really isn't worth it. I can just go to work and make consistent money instead. It is the idea that you can win money from playing that is interesting and the bragging.
    • Hevka wrote:

Aren't we all play Tournaments for FUN though?Money is just a sweet addition to showcase of person's wits and luck combination over other's.
      But id like to have half of entry fee reward (3 packs) for 16-32 for a better scaling.
      Not everyone finds 8+ hours with a lot of waiting during rounds fun ;( I still have fun but after a certain amount of hours it takes a toll.

Also money is an incentive, no matter what it is for, whereas showcase of wits / luck is the addition.

The post was edited 1 time, last by HAVOC ().

• [PSN]MallwayTweep wrote:

If you pay money to enter a tournament the fun aspect disappears. Ranked and unranked are for fun.
      Paying money doesn't remove the fun. You can buy a console game for $60 or download a free one from console app stores. Does that make the $60 game not fun?

Normally card games have entry fees even at local levels, but everyone who enters normally gets close to their entry fee back in prizes(Like everyone who comes gets at least 1 booster pack) Sneak peeks are around $30-$50, but you get most of your money back in new product and promos. I don't think many would call locals or sneak peeks unfun.
    • HAVOC wrote:

G'day Hexers!

I just spent a hectic 8+ hours playing in the Clash. I managed to come 2nd place in the swiss with a 6-1 result and then the draft happened (my seated position gave me a pretty mediocre draft)... I then went on to lose round one to some very crazy transform luck by my opponent (damn you Wild Knight, transforming a 3 drop into Brosi Bouncer game 1 and Exalted Pathfinder game 2).

Alright, so Kismet wasn't with me and that happens but it is still a HORRIBLE experience to play all those hours and then my prize is 15 packs (already have the battleboard and sleeve). Considering how much time and effort every player that makes top 8 has to put in, I think it would be nice to slightly adjust the payout structure so that all the players that make it there gets some cold hard $$ CASH $$.

I just want to restate something... I wasn't happy after doing good... No one should feel bad after doing well in a tournament :(

I've included a Poll here as if it shows the community would prefer my proposed method or something similar, I don't see why Hex Ent shouldn't/couldn't change it as the total prize payout would stay the same (I do understand it is a bit more admin work but hey, we spent 9 hrs playing :P).

Here is my current proposal (if we leave it at a total of $1000), :

1st place - $400
      2nd place - $200
      3rd place - $100
      4th place - $100
      5-8th place - $50

I'm open to suggestions but I think this is a good starting point. Please leave feedback or your own suggestion if you have one.

Cheers

HAVOC

P.S - This is also one of the reasons I don't play the Bash and the Clash as it is a lot of time investment (2 days in a row!) and even if you do well and make top 8, you still ain't guaranteed a cash prize, which is the incentive that draws me into such lengthy tournaments and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for the majority of players.

Edit: Another alternate solution that I guess would feel better is give 5-8th place 6000 platinum (this is much better than packs). Also for any players that make top 8 that have already earned the sleeve and battleboard, an additional reward is given, perhaps another 2000 platinum.
      The solution to this ,since we are comparing this to other cards games, is to raise the entry fee to $10. People will complain about this though. They are charging $7 currently and giving away $1,000 with an around of 86 players which equates to $602 they are losing $398 every bash. If we are to compare this to let's say a pptq. The entry fee can be anywhere from $25 to $35 you are also only winning store credit. If we compare this to a grand prix or an SCG event your looking at more in the are of $40 to $50. The entry fee or attendence has to increase to cover steeper rewards from under 8th place. As for the prize structure I can see lowering the 1st and 2nd place rewards to give 5th through 8th something.