Hex PvP Tools - Everything you need to understand the PvP constructed and limited meta (and more)

• Hex PvP Tools - Everything you need to understand the PvP constructed and limited meta (and more)

First of all, I want to give a huge shout-out to Chris Woods. Without his server API, none of this would be possible.

HexPvPTools.net is where I gather all the data that comes from the server API and crunch numbers to present the data in a meaningful way to analyze the PvP meta. You will find the following:

• Standard Constructed Ladder meta. See the decks that are defining the Ladder meta at any given date, their relative popularity and their win rate.
      • Constructed history. See all the matches that have been played on the Constructed Ladder. You will also find the complete decklist of all Constructed tournaments (CCS, FiveShards weekly, Shard Cup, etc.)
      • Limited card performance. For Sealed and Evo Sealed, see which cards have the highest win rate, which cards make it in the main deck the most often, which get cut out of the main deck, etc. For Drafts, see which cards get picked first, which are more likely to wheel, etc.
      • Limited archetype performance. In each Limited format, see which shard pairings and champions are the most popular, and their respective win rate.
      • Limited history. See all the gauntlet runs, including all decks from the gauntlet matches. You will also have the opportunity to replay the draft portion of a Draft Gauntlet for any run that has been completed.
      • PvP server activity. How many Ladder matches are being played daily? Hourly? What time of the day is the more popular for Drafts? Which day of the week sees the most auction house activity? You'll get all your answers in a simple to read graph.
      • Crack a pack. Want to discuss the content of a random pack on your stream or podcast? Want to see what the content of a random pack looks like? The Crack-a-pack feature will randomly show you one of the hundreds of thousands of packs that have been opened in game during a draft. Those are all real packs, exactly as they appeared to whoever opened them in game.
      • Archives. I understand not every one can setup a server to listen to the Hex Server API messages. That is why I provide a daily dump of all the messages that I have received from the server API so that you can download the data and crunch the numbers yourself if you so desire.
      • A donate button (link omitted on purpose, see the home page). I provide this service for the love of the number crunching, I have no intention of making a profit off of it, and I intend to always provide it ad-free. However, the volume of data to process and the amount of crunching the numbers need to go through means that I can't rely on cheap web hosting anymore. If you feel this tool is useful to you and would like to contribute to the hosting costs, please feel free to do so. Every bit helps, and any amount, no matter how small, is greatly appreciated.

I am open to feedback and suggestions. Feel free to let me know if there are ways I could improve the site or present the data in a way that would be more useful to you.
    • Thank you for providing daily dumps in the old format. I actually have my listener set up, but I don't want to rewrite all my updating code for hexsales :D .
      You said in another thread that your dumps only contain card data. Does this mean the API in general only supports card data?
      hexsales.net - Analysis and visulization of auction house data
      api.hexsales.net - API used for hexsales.net
      HexDB - Game asset API for cards, sets, equipment, etc.

E-mail: me@maximumstock.net
    • I've always enjoyed perusing your site, even though I only play limited and am a novice when it comes to data analysis. Do you mind if we put a link to your site on our Meta page since we don't have anything there as of yet (on hexsales.com)? Realistically, we'll probably not even bother as long as you keep doing what you're doing! :P
    • Nice tools. And I just wanted to say... the draft archetype performance looks MUCH better in set 5/6 than set 5 did :)

Ada the Apparitionist6.5%62.8%
      Haraza the Incinerator0.3%55.9%
      Marshal Josephina16.5%55.3%
      Bishop Elijah1.4%54.9%
      High Cleric Marzul5%54.5%
      Nineveh0.3%51.9%
      Sharpshooter Sahas2.2%51.4%
      Grandfather Elk6.8%50.6%
      Malzok2.2%50%
      Kentigern Slate0.8%49.3%
      Gorn of the Hell Pits13%49.2%
      Therroz3.1%48.3%
      Ivan Slagpot3.1%47.7%
      Takahiro3.6%47.1%
      Lysander5.7%46.9%
      Renner4.2%46.8%
      Blue Sparrow1.5%46.3%
      Two Tomahawks6.2%45.8%
      Bloodspinner Zorath9.5%44.8%
      Wildshaper Kaliban1.9%44.3%
      Shoku The Botanist3.5%42.1%
      Octavia the Faceless2%41.7%
      Lady Mariko0.4%38%
      Angus the Arsonist0.3%37.5%

Much more balanced numbers, only a 7% gap between most played and third most played, second and third most played are actually pretty low in win rate(sub-50)... beautiful.

These tools are so clean - I really like all the work you've put into this.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Highgarden wrote:

Is there a way on the history to tell which player won the coin toss?
      Unfortunately not. This has been requested many times, but because of technical reasons on Hex' server side of things, that information is not available (neither is information on mulligans, shard screw/flood and the like).

Warrender wrote:

Fred,

Would it be possible to show the decks being played in the Immortal queue? Thanks again for this invaluable resource for the competitive Hex community.
      I missed that request when it was posted, but that feature has been available for a couple of weeks now, but only as the history. The sample size is not big enough for me to devise a meta out of it just yet.
    • Fred wrote:

Gregangel wrote:

2/ Overall your conditions of inclusion may not be relevant anymore. Making difficult to read the meta.
      What would you suggest?

I put some thought into it but for now I don't have better solution than change the threshold limit from 4 wins to 3 wins daily. What you did. But i my opinion it is just a short term way to handle it. Some brainstorming is needed here.
      Maybe two lists : the one displayed now and one with all the decks regardless of wins per day but only the most used (threshold of display : sum of of the % popularity of all decks displayed = 50%)

With the intro of Hex Bash it would be a good idea to have now a way to have a "tournament meta" too. But I know it would be more work for you.
    • Gregangel wrote:

Maybe two lists : the one displayed now and one with all the decks regardless of wins per day but only the most used (threshold of display : sum of of the % popularity of all decks displayed = 50%)
      I might try that, it's worth a shot.

Gregangel wrote:

With the intro of Hex Bash it would be a good idea to have now a way to have a "tournament meta" too. But I know it would be more work for you.
      Yes, it would be more work, and I already gave Cory a stern talking-to for creating more content. It will nonetheless be done, although I can't guarantee it's going to be ready for the first Bash.