Need some second opinions on Evo Sealed decks

• Need some second opinions on Evo Sealed decks

If you don't want to read a lot, skip the individual deck explanations; these are just my opinions and reasoning for the cards I picked.

I don't know if this belongs here or in New User Help, but this is a bit more strategy oriented so I'll put it here.

So, I started up a new Evo Draft yesterday. I played a few games, and now I'm 3-1. This is my third try at Evo Draft, and, based on past experiences, things get way harder past the third win.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Balthasar the Elegist because my Wild cards include my best bombs, and, at the same time, Wild also had some pretty good 2 and 3-cost troops. However, when starting out, I lacked much of any good card draw and very little Fateweave, so Balthasar's ability really helps ensure that I don't run out of steam as the game went on.

Notable bombs and pseudo bombs:
      Shillelagh Bully: At this point, I have two of these. On one hand, this dude is bonkers because he gets me a resource, which lets me draw into more resources (or something else, if I really need to). On the other hand, I really am worried that he'll get sniped into oblivion due to his base 1/1 stats.

Merry Maple: This isn't quite a bomb, but it's a great threat none-the-less. It lets me revert cards that have been hit with debuffs, and yet also turns small troops into big threats. The only drawback is that it might force me to remove a buff on my own troop, and its very weak without other troops.

Replipopper: If this hits them once, chances are they can't stop the next two from hitting them. It can high-roll into getting Flight, and I have a Xamahuac Slayer. At the very least, Replipopper demands removal or continual blockers.

Feralfuel Conqueror: Not a bomb by itself, but it has swung games in my favor.

Deck #1 (Red/Green Gladiator Control):

This was my first deck; I went with it because I lacked the Fateweave/card draw to make Shillelagh Bully reliable. When I first created the deck, I imagined it being more of a midrange deck. However, games would tend to go long, and then Volcanic Portal would pull me through in the top-deck wars.

The troops in the deck tend to be pretty good blockers, though Gladiator doesn't protect them during my turn so it's hard to pressure my opponent without getting terrible trades. Due to all of the Gladiator synergies, all socketable troops in the deck have Gladiator 1.

My main problem with this deck is that it tends to run light on resources; it would usually be a very long time before I could actually play Feralfuel Conqueror. Also, my biggest, non-combat removal is Volcanic Portal, which also only comes out during the late game. In terms of card draw, I only have Impulse, which can whiff horribly, especially against mill. I have two copies of the card, but I don't want to run both.

(Please note that I haven't refined this deck since my most recent pack. If I go with this deck, I'll probably put in Robogoyle, as my only loss was to a mill deck. I also want to try out Electroclaws because there were many times where having Crush could force a huge trade-fest or get lethal.)

Deck #2 (White/Red Midrange):

I've only tested this deck versus AI, but but it's feeling pretty solid now that I have two copies of Shillelagh Bully as well as some extra Fateweave. (Including Iremaw and Mecha Mutt.) The idea with this deck is to crush them with Lux Guard and Shillelagh Bully, while using my smaller minions to block, become Merry Squirrels, etc.

I also have Winter's Grasp and Nature Reigns to provide an extra bit of removal. I might sub one of these for my second Ready to Rumble. I may also run Rowdy Ringmaster because it grants Crush. I also want to fit in Electroclaws, since Crush is really good on huge minions.

I'm kind of on the fence about In the Halls of Twilight, though I may keep it if I go include more resources and/or my two Immortal Tears. Verdict feels rather weak without constant synergy.

I'm concerned that the deck may not be reliable enough or fast enough. My first deck could punish poor openings on the opponent's side, but it could also come back from strong openings as well. This deck can go big, but it depends on the Bullies (or Merry Maple) to do that. If I draw these really late or if they get removed, I might lose. Also, the Bullies need to do some damage while they're big. If I run out of resources (or have a big drought), then they're 4-cost 1/1s.

Other cards that could be good but I haven't specifically mentioned:
      Guardian of Nulzann, Rand-Amp, Rush of Victory, Runic Rampagex2, Vine Lashx2, Bug Out.

So...opinions?
      I know this is just an Evo Draft, but I really want to do better then 3-3. I've done some research, though I've yet to find anything specific to this current meta. In my experience, mill decks can be really scary, but most decks are teching against them so they end up being so-so.

Should I go with the first deck, or the second deck? Or should I explore Blood/Sapphire? (They both have some strong removals, and Blood has some good early-game troops, but that's about it. I think it would be unwise to triple-shard, though Immortal Tearsx2 can help there.)

I read somewhere that it's good to take bigger risks if the overall quality of the draft is low. Is that the case right now? Is it better that I take more risks and try to go for quicker games?

(This would be easier if I could post up all the cards available to me. Is there a way to do that? Would something with that API-thing help?)
    • It's hard to provide feedback without access to the full pool of cards, but here are a couple things I'd say regarding what you've been mentioning :

- In the halls of twilight is meh without verdict or constant synergies.
      - All the artifacts buffs cards are bad.... Even with recursions like call the grave or scales to profit a second time, you just end up with a pile of trash that ask to be drawn in the right order, with the right amount of each (card+buff+shards+recursion). Asking for trouble.
      - I would never run less than 17 lands in that format, and would not mind too much 18 if Lady avalanche and/or several momentum guys and few ways to get shards (like palm or the green 2/2 for 3)
      - Immortal tears is not particularly good, it fixes, but not before T3... Or if so, it means that you're giving up your T2 for it, which is critical in most games... So I'd only play it if I'm splashing or with a very large amount of cards with double thresh and no better fixers).
      - I'd probably play the first 3 Ready to rumble easily, cutting the third only in some circumstances, so I would definitely play 2 if I have 2, everytime.
      - Rowdy Ringmaster is one of the best unco of the set, and again, I would probably play up to 3 without hesitation, might not always play the 4th... But still, it's that good.
      - Mill is terrible in draft or sealed, but fine in evo (thanks to no sideboard), so robogoyle MD is perfectly acceptable, especially since the stats are fine and you're likely (in non-mill MU) to increase the quality of your deck when playing it (by putting back some business cards, possibly even removals).
      - Nature's reigns MD is a bit ambitious, sure you might find a target in most opposing decks, but will it be worth the card ?... It might as well just end up being a blank... High risk low reward. I would always MD chompknight and the 2/2 white bear that void a constant, because they are decent on their own if there's no target on the board, but nature's reign doesn't do anything in most cases.
      - Renew is okish MD, but more like the 23rd card of a 0 pack evo, especially without great synergies (like fateweave stuff)
      - Impulse is awful
      - Scurrying Strength is meh as best, especially with no transform/revert/fateweave synergies
      - Toolkit assistant is below average (the 4/4 for 5 with 2 boons is good though), Robo gnoll get the job done as a 3cc filler in the curve but meh overall, and brutalizer is a bit awkward at times.

Also, Balthasar is not particularly good, you're going to use it once in 90% of your games, and it's not even going to provide a business card all the time (something you want when you already have 5 mana)... I would prefer the red guy creating a portal for 4... You have a much better chance at using his power twice (reaching 8 charges instead of 10 is) and it will always provide business.

More importantly, looking for feedback and actively checking what could have been done better is the best way to improve... I usually don't bother checking that part of the forum, but props to you, you'll do great in the future I'm sure.
    • Thanks for taking the time to reply! This is the current deck:

- I did test out the Claws in Practice Mode, but, as you said, it's not that great.

- Yes, Immortal Tears is a poor card. I'm running a 9th Wild Shard instead.

- I swapped Nature Reigns for another Soothing Seedstag. My hope with Nature's Reign was to efficiently clear their artifact troops; I saw a lot of Robogoyles in my last run. (Then again, when you mill their deck, those will come into play at some point.) The extra minion is more helpful, while still giving me a way to deal with any pesky constants and regain some HP.

- I subbed Toolkit for Borean Leopard. Based on testing vs AI, the flexibility is fantastic. It's very nice to be able to Frostform when I don't have any other plays. Now I'm considering Arctic Grizzly and Ebonhorn, though they aren't as exciting because they cost more, and life-gain isn't as compelling. (I already have Soothing Seedstag.)

- Balthasar's ability isn't ideal, but it has had its uses. It goes well with Fateweave and Momentum (and thus Shillelagh Bully and his Lucky Coin), because I can reliably play two resources in one turn. If I have the Bully coming up, I can theoretically hold onto my ability until the Bully gets over summoning sickness. Then it becomes a 4-cost 8/8 that leaves me with +2 resources, allowing me to follow up with big plays.

- With 5 sources of Fateweave (6 if I include Renew), I decided to replace Oakhenge Ceremony with Piledrive. A one-cost, "Give 2/2" is reasonable, but "Give 4/4" is awesome, and it's pretty likely since I have 6 instances of Gladiator.
      -- This is part of why I run Scurrying Strength. It's not excellent (especially when I don't want to transform any of my troops), but it makes the deck more reliable. It could also force a chump block or delay early aggression, though that's a minor upside. I need to think about it some more, but Renew might be better because it's cheaper and it's quick.

- The only other cards I have that I can think of bringing up are Golden Griffin, Lumbering Gammadon, Rabid Rage, and Arcing Light. I could be wrong, but none of these are exciting given the current deck. I don't know how to show the entire card pool without taking lots of screenshots or writing a long list, and I couldn't get the API to do anything like that for me.

Once again, thank you for the feedback! I can't play any real matches today, but I'll definitely play the rest of the draft tomorrow or Tuesday.
    • Nearly every effective deck I've had in evo has played arcing light. Between reverting candles, nullifying buffs/debuffs, de-frostforming your own troops, and removing runic actions... there's almost always a use for it.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Oakhedge back in.
      Why? You have a nice 3 drop bomb that would be amazing to have on board as early as possible - Replipopper.

Robo Gnoll / Piledrive / Scurrying Strength out

In the Halls / Oakhedge / Righteous Exorcist in

Gem swap on Mecha to Skyguard/Steadfast
      Go to 17x shards
      Not confident on champion choice without additional ramp, but would lean towards Lady Avalanche given the coins from the bullies.
    • Eraia wrote:

...de-frostforming your own troops, and removing runic actions...
      De-frostforming troops? I didn't know that was possible, but then I again I guess it is a transform effect. That makes Revert effects a lot more appealing. That might make it worthwhile to run the another Frostform troop.

Also, I didn't know it worked on Runic actions. Handy! :D

NicoSharp wrote:

Oakhedge back in.
      Why? You have a nice 3 drop bomb that would be amazing to have on board as early as possible - Replipopper.

Robo Gnoll / Piledrive / Scurrying Strength out

In the Halls / Oakhedge / Righteous Exorcist in

Gem swap on Mecha to Skyguard/Steadfast
      Go to 17x shards
      Not confident on champion choice without additional ramp, but would lean towards Lady Avalanche given the coins from the bullies.
      I can see the logic in Oakhedge. I almost feel silly for taking out Oakhenge in the first place, since I have 3 bombs that I want to fish for.

I also agree that Piledrive and Robo Gnoll are rather low-quality. I kept Robo Gnoll only because of Piledrive, but I guess that there are better things to run than a situational 4/4 buff.

But Righteous Exorcist in place of Scurrying Strength, and with Mecha losing Fateweave? Then we only have three sources of Fateweave! If I do that, then I will probably want to run Renew instead of In the Halls, in order to get the extra Fateweave.

I'll admit that Righteous Exorcist is really appealing. I'd say that, in order to become viable, it would reliably get to 3/3 throughout the course of one game. This is better than the 3/1 Grizzly. Since my opponent won't know how much Fateweave I have, they might end up wasting removal before it even gets big.

On the other hand, if I start running more revert effects, Grizzly could turn into a 3/5. If I hit Grizzly with any one of my four revert cards (the two Transform effects and the two Diamond actions), then it's better. Grizzly only needs to be reverted once for it to become a 3/5, whereas Exorcist needs to see two Fateweaves to become a 4/4.

Alright, I'll try both! Maybe I can run extra Revert-effects and Fateweave effects and get the best of both worlds? The Seedstags aren't too useful, after all.
    • Autofire wrote:

De-frostforming troops? I didn't know that was possible, but then I again I guess it is a transform effect. That makes Revert effects a lot more appealing. That might make it worthwhile to run the another Frostform troop.

Also, I didn't know it worked on Runic actions. Handy!
      Yep, any form of revert will turn a frostformed troop into its original state :)

And if you use a revert on a rune from a runic action, the action simply disappears since actions are not allowed to be 'in play'.

The thing about Righteous Exorcist is that it creates a question. DO YOU have enough fateweave to make it scary? If they don't act soon enough, and you start getting the fateweave triggers, it might be too late. But if you don't have enough, and they waste their removal, they might not have it for a real bomb.

So even if you only have a few fateweave sources, it might still be worth it.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.