A good opportunity to show whether PvE makes people spend money.

    • A good opportunity to show whether PvE makes people spend money.

      This is a good opportunity to show HXE that PvE does make money. We've all been making grand statements "I'd pay for X PvE feature" "If they showed us their plans it'd restore my faith in them".

      Well, unfortunately (for my wallet), a huge portion of my faith was restored. Before time starts naturally depleting it again (screw you, pessimism-by-nature), here's me doing my part of putting my money where my mouth is. I didn't have a reason to buy platinum before the next Set, I've got a big load of booster packs I can sell now that Kismet stops Set 08 from being used in Draft.



      With timestamp, obviously.

      And I'm also gonna be making sieges with hoard in Platinum for people to play against.

      Rejoice, all.
    • This isn't a PvE update, this is still PvP. This is players fighting other players, doesn't involve the campaign at all, doesn't allow for campaign heroes or mercenaries, doesn't include equipment (at least I haven't seen as much, could be wrong), and one of the players is using a standard legal deck. You're welcome to support whatever you like but calling it a PvE update is something I disagree with.
    • Utremeld wrote:

      This isn't a PvE update, this is still PvP. This is players fighting other players, doesn't involve the campaign at all, doesn't allow for campaign heroes or mercenaries, doesn't include equipment (at least I haven't seen as much, could be wrong), and one of the players is using a standard legal deck. You're welcome to support whatever you like but calling it a PvE update is something I disagree with.
      You do get access to equipment as a defender. From the article: "As a defender, you’ll have access to all the cards in your collection. This includes cards from all eight of our current PvP sets and all sets going forward. On top of that, you’ll have access to every PvE card that we’ve released that you own and any equipment that you own. You’ll also have access to every PvP champion and every gem."
    • Utremeld wrote:

      doesn't include equipment (at least I haven't seen as much, could be wrong),
      Well it does include equipment for the denfender.

      Also keep in minda that this is probably the bare bones of a mechanic that will be later implemented on keeps. (Dino even accidently reffered to the sieges as keeps in the thread) which is planned to come togheter with AZ3 (whenever that might be).

      Also considering the attacker is playing against the AI, one could argue that he is playing aigainst a ENVIRONMENT made by another player.
      HEX forums resident liker.
    • Utremeld wrote:

      This isn't a PvE update, this is still PvP. This is players fighting other players, doesn't involve the campaign at all, doesn't allow for campaign heroes or mercenaries, doesn't include equipment (at least I haven't seen as much, could be wrong), and one of the players is using a standard legal deck. You're welcome to support whatever you like but calling it a PvE update is something I disagree with.
      This is PvE because

      1) It is P1 Attacker vs AI Defender

      2) It allows use of PvE cards and equipment on the AI Defender's side.

      3) They said (yes, they've said many things, doesn't change much in this case) that it's planned to eventually allow PvE cards and equipment for the Attacker too.
    • @Utremeld I think you probably missed this part of the announcement (no worries, I missed a lot of info in my first read too)

      "Anyone who tries attacking your gauntlet will need to face off against the three decks you’ve set. All you need to do is have one of your three defending decks defeat your opponent to declare victory. The twist here is that you won’t be the one piloting the decks. Instead, these decks will be piloted by our AI so that players can attempt to breach your defenses at all hours of the day."

      Bolded, italicized and underlined by me.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      Utremeld wrote:

      This isn't a PvE update, this is still PvP. This is players fighting other players, doesn't involve the campaign at all, doesn't allow for campaign heroes or mercenaries, doesn't include equipment (at least I haven't seen as much, could be wrong), and one of the players is using a standard legal deck. You're welcome to support whatever you like but calling it a PvE update is something I disagree with.
      This is PvE because
      1) It is P1 Attacker vs AI Defender

      2) It allows use of PvE cards and equipment on the AI Defender's side.

      3) They said (yes, they've said many things, doesn't change much in this case) that it's planned to eventually allow PvE cards and equipment for the Attacker too.

      Vroengard wrote:

      @Utremeld I think you probably missed this part of the announcement (no worries, I missed a lot of info in my first read too)

      "Anyone who tries attacking your gauntlet will need to face off against the three decks you’ve set. All you need to do is have one of your three defending decks defeat your opponent to declare victory. The twist here is that you won’t be the one piloting the decks. Instead, these decks will be piloted by our AI so that players can attempt to breach your defenses at all hours of the day."

      Bolded, italicized and underlined by me.
      No, I didn't miss it; I just don't agree that it makes it PvE.
    • This is PvE, but it's not the type of PvE certain players were looking for.

      That being said, Ultrameld, they can't please everyone. I agree with you, I'm not at all excited on a PERSONAL level about siege, but I am still excited that they are DISCUSSING PVE with us, regardless of whether the content personally appeals to me.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • As much PvE as FRA is, I guess. No story, just a player fighting the computer (environment).

      Wanna call it Arcade Mode instead? It might be not our cup of tea PvE (I like long intricate Campaign stories where my choices matter, hence my favorite game fanchises are The Witcher and Mass Effect), but it is PvE. The creator of the "E" is irrelevant in the characterisation, I think.
    • If you are going to argue that computer controlled content created by players is not PvE, then I guess all of Hex is PvP, since Cory plays the game. :P


      I’m satisfied they are giving us another area to utilize our PvE collection.

      I may even follow suit and buy some platinum, if I can find the funds.
    • New

      You don't see any problem with blackmailing players into buying Standard legal decks to play PvE? Or is that not really PvE?

      They can actually be bolder and make the mode Standard legal only, the PvE association is hardly necessary. Even if they did allow AI to play in PvP events, it does not make it PvE.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • New

      Blackmailing? It's not like players are required to participate. And if you don't want to use standard decks, you can participate on the deckbuilding part. And if you really want to attack, let them develop it out to the point where you can use more potent decks. They said they want to all players to use PvE cards and such, but it was a balance issue.

      There's no malicious exploitation going on here, and they want to allow PvE decks in the format on the attacker side.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • New

      Arkansaw wrote:

      You don't see any problem with blackmailing players into buying Standard legal decks to play PvE? Or is that not really PvE?

      They can actually be bolder and make the mode Standard legal only, the PvE association is hardly necessary. Even if they did allow AI to play in PvP events, it does not make it PvE.
      Cory said that the end goal is to have attackers as well use PvE cards and equipment. I don't know how far away that is. I think it's very VERY far, because it won't be until PS4 has PvE.

      This is not a clean sheet. This is us rewarding a good development. It doesn't change the fact that there's 2 classes missing and 15 lvs. We can properly complain about stuff in the future too, when/if in 2020 this Siege mode is in exactly the stage it is being introduced.
    • New

      Obsidian wrote:

      Blackmailing? It's not like players are required to participate. And if you don't want to use standard decks, you can participate on the deckbuilding part. And if you really want to attack, let them develop it out to the point where you can use more potent decks. They said they want to all players to use PvE cards and such, but it was a balance issue.

      There's no malicious exploitation going on here, and they want to allow PvE decks in the format on the attacker side.
      It is clearly exploiting the PvE sentiments to increase trading of current PvP cards. That is the obvious short-term benefit. If PvE players don't show enough support for "PvE", even more reason to drop PvE, as the mode requires no more PvE than any of the existing PvP modes to function. Much easier to balance when it is just another PvP mode.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • New

      The main reason that PvE cards are not allowed in ‘Standard’ is because they are far more powerful than PvP cards. And PvP equipment makes those cards stronger or more versatile than the vanilla version. So it will be more than likely that most top-tier Defense decks (and eventually Attack decks) have multiple PvE cards and 4-6 pieces of equipment.

      That means a WHOLE lot more demand for those pieces of gear and PvE cards. Increased PvE prices definitely seem like an ‘exploitation’ of those of us who have been grinding Frost Ring Arena and GMG for a year.

      Anyone complaining that Siege is ‘exploitation’ of PvE players is obviously looking to pick a fight. Or stupid. ANY PvE gamemode will also include all non-banned PvP cards. That’s kind of the point of a sandbox.

      When they release AZ3, are you going to complain that, because Campaign allows you to use PvP cards it is somehow ‘exploiting’ PvE players because of it?

      As to the fear that they will eventually ‘cut’ PvE from Siege Mode; I have not seem Hex take away any PvE content once it was added into the game (an argument could be made for Frost Ring 1.0, but Frost Ring still exists). So i don’t see why that fear should be credited.

      Our fears for PvE have been that it will be allowed to wither, but this recent demonstration of communication should give us all a bit of hope. I’ll hold off hiring a choir to sing praises until Siege is out, but this is a GOOD step, in the right direction.

      We’ve been asking for what their visions for the future are, and they are (finally) letting us see a peek of them.