Singles why it's the best format and how to succed

• Singles why it's the best format and how to succed

Hello Everyone.

I want to talk about Single Night (obviously). For me it's the most fun format out there because all the game are different and I just play card I like. It's also the cheapest format even if, at the moment when I write this line, my deck cost 9526 plat accordingly to hexpvptool : hexpvptools.net/tournament/1135692747/player/3318843
      It's the cheapest because you need only one of each card that reduce a lot the cost of playing a deck with powerful card.
      The thing that make also the cheapest is the cost of the entry fee, 100 plat, who is easily obtainable (less than 30 000 gold).
      I know there is the rock format but I don't like not being able to play with powerful card

How to be succesful in this format ?

Each card you play need to have a big impact in the game (is not possible of course but the goal is to maximize this) :
      1. The card need to make CA
      2. The card need to help you deal with the opposite threat
      3. The card need to threat your opponent
      4. Pick a good champ

Note : CA = Card advantage can be just draw or use one of your card for multiple of your opponent.

Of course if you can have a card that go in multiple categories it's better.

I will talk about my deck as an exemple.
      I play Diamond / Sapphire, this two color are naturally good to deal with opponent board and draw you card :

1. Card like Dreamcall, Heart's Whisper, Zeota's Familiar are good to make CA and Zeota's familiar is very good the more the game go on. I choose to make CA by drawing more card and I also have some card with the ability fateweave that help to have almost what I want in the next draw.
      2. Card like Clash of Steel, Dread End, Eternal Seeker are very good to deal with my opponent board and in some way to make also CA because I deal with multiple threat with one card.
      3. Card like Replipopper, Dragonspeaker Daliah and Hogarth the Mad are excellent threat because if they are not kill fast by my opponent they can make me win the game.

You can see that Eternal Seeker can be in the 3 categories. (And it's an artifact !)

Pick the right champ :
      It's a delicate point, in standard we use the one that help most our strategie, here it's more complicated since it's more to have only one strategie.
      I use Calilac because it's for me and the deck I use the best champion : She have 25 life that very nice and give me extra ressource (because life in Hex is also ressource) and she have the best power for my deck.
      1. I don't need to use it : I can save my charge for Lixil, Heartsworn or Hogarth the Mad.
      2. If I really need a shard (or non shard) I can use the power for the next turn (that also mean that I need to not do it to late)
      3. I have card that make the power well overpowered : Hailstorm and Seamstress of Vaelena give me so much CA that they can almost make me win by themself (it's also because I have multiple card that also fateweave)

I hope you like this format as I do and see you next Single night !

VicMan
    • Couple of cards I thought about that you didn't include. Consult The Talon? Cosmic Calling? Dark Heart?

Also; why include Eldurathan's Glory? It's a great card in the right situation, but does that situation often come up? Immortal Tears? There's no fixing needed nor even cards with triple mono threshold.

I do like your deck, I've built it and tested it a bit against the AI.

Warpsteel Shardsworn and Light of Day might also be reasonable.

Nameless Draught might be fun because it's one more unique resource but you'd probably want to have that extra charge instead of a single mill effect most of the time.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

Consult The Talon? Cosmic Calling? Dark Heart?
      At some point I needed to make cut ><. Consult the Talon is good but need troop to be very good and I prefer attak or be able to defend with my troop.
      Cosmic Calling can come in, I was thinking of putting in.
      It's true I didn't think about Dark Heart but since I have some constant and other non-socked card I pref to not putting myself restriction.

Transience wrote:

why include Eldurathan's Glory? It's a great card in the right situation, but does that situation often come up?
      I was always happy to see him :thumbup:

Transience wrote:

Immortal Tears?
      I play 23 shards, I think of Immortal tears like my 24th shard and can be Sapphire or Diamond (the most of the time I losed I missed the second threshold of Sapphire or Diamond)

Transience wrote:

I do like your deck
      Thanks !

Transience wrote:

Warpsteel Shardsworn and Light of Day might also be reasonable
      Yes but like I say at some point I can't put all the card but I will think of them.

Transience wrote:

Nameless Draught might be fun because it's one more unique resource but you'd probably want to have that extra charge instead of a single mill effect most of the time
      I put in my deck for the last tournament for fun and it was in fact good. When my opponent use the fateweave that can put him in danger if he don't draw another Shard and if I play the spell for take another turn (don't remember the name sorry) it make me more charge.
      That my way to play but if you don't want to play don't put it :)

I'm sure there is a lot of very good deck to be discover !
    • It certainly is important to play a deck that you like and that fits your style. For instance, people also play Herofall in Singles. Which isn't a bad choice at all but it just feels wrong.

I wouldn't change much to your deck I think. Consult might indeed be too greedy. Dark Heart seems too attractive not too include though and Cosmic is worth a try imo.
    • Transience wrote:

Also; why include Eldurathan's Glory? It's a great card in the right situation, but does that situation often come up? Immortal Tears? There's no fixing needed nor even cards with triple mono threshold.
      D/R has a lot of success in Singles because (IMO,) they have the strongest lower drops. A well-put Glory can really save you and at least catch back in tempo.
    • Played this deck tonight and got my first AA Witch as a result. Went 1-2, 2-1, 2-0. Decent.

Thanks!

Some thoughts: Dark Heart is a must have for me. Together with Eternal Bastion and Corners of the World it's a trio of 5-cost Artifacts that are just always welcome when they enter my hand.

It can be tough to get the resources you need in this deck, so I removed a few of the higher costing stuff. Primordial Gralk is ok, but not that good, it feels like a band-aid card, Zeota's Familiar was just awful for me. And I don't really like playing with Hogarth. Cosmic Calling was pretty decent. It's quick, so you can keep it up together with a counterspell and use it at end of opp's turn if you can. And with a large number of cards that are very strong on their own it usually has a payoff. I'm going to test Consult next time as well as Warpsteel Shardsworn since the deck is low on cheap troops and it combo's with Dark Heart and Corners of the world as well as giving fateweave. I'm also gonna move Disruptor Drone to main and Glory to sideboard.