Friday Update - Ohhh Yeaah!

• Siege Mode! Pretty epic.

It's a good start. Going to be major issues to balance, but maybe with time, it will get to a point where attackers can also use pve decks, and we can tweak AI settings for target priority/etc. A lot on Chris' shoulders.

Short list of ideas for this mode in future:
      • AI pilot modes (different settings to improve deck piloting)
      • Live Defenses - where Attackers can come at you full-force with PvE unlocked
      • Plat Purchasable Cosmetic bonuses (This will likely be a thing, but please don't lock the content behind PvP walls)
      • Replay system for Keep defenses (People will really want to see how the AI played, and/or what they could have done better) (This could even be a paid mode where the hoard gets more for rights to the replay footage - pretend its the keeps security tapes!)
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

only the stuff you have
      wow, another good idea we need some bad ass music for this!
      :thumbsup:

I just got to thinking of the little riffs that play when tabbing between different formats in the battlegrounds and hoped Siege's would be suitably excellent.

As soon as mercenary support is implemented, I'm going to build the Dingler King's impenetrable fortress of solitude.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Fred wrote:

Is the Siege thing available to PS4 players? If so, how will they get access to PvE cards to build their own defense? Can they or will they be able to trade PvE cards on the AH?
      they cannot make keeps (defend) but they CAN attack :) so more fun content for the PS4 folks
      I can't help but feel like this is just going to make more PS4 players aware that they are playing an inferior version of the game when they run into PvE cards. It'll create a lot of bad feels, I can already see the reddit threads asking whats up with the cards with the weird gold vine borders and why are they so busted.
    • In an ideal world, I'd love to see a playback of attacks against my keep. At minimum, I'd like to see the deck list from attackers that beat me deck. (Preferably a deck list of any attacker and its win/loss record, but maybe just a deck list of the attacker that took the keep down for good.)

My thinking here is that attackers inherently learn when they attack. They see what decks are out there and what works or doesn't work. Conversely, if I'm a defender I may come back at some point and log in to see that my hoard is gone. If I don't get some feedback on how it happened, how can I improve?

I would also love to see non-currency rewards for attacking/defending. Could be further split by Gold vs. Plat, though not necessary. Spitballing ideas for this:
      Gold attacker:
      0 wins - no bonus
      1 win - common PVE equipement
      2 wins - chest (starting at common, chance for better)
      3 wins/keep clear - PvE rare

Gold defender:
      Successful defense - PVE equipement w/ chance for chest

Plat attacker:
      0 wins - no bonus
      1 win - chest (starting at uncommon, small chance for better)
      2 wins - AA common card (rotating pool)
      3 wins/keep clear - PvP rare

Plat defender:
      cycle of 3 defences:
      First successful defense - PVE equipement w/ chance for chest
      Second successful defense - AA common card (rotating pool)
      Third successful defense - PvP rare
      Fourth defense goes back to the first prize, and then repeats.
    • I love the idea of Keeps-but I'd also sorta like to see an option of Keeps with no stakes, just for fun. I know that the stakes can be set really low, but I feel like some of our current PvE crew-myself included-might be turned away by the larger stakes. I'd REALLY love to see something like a Hall of Fame at some point, where HexEnt takes some of the most popular keeps and immortalizes a no-stakes version of them, so that people can get to play through the most fun or difficult keeps without worrying about stakes.
    • *Beep Boop*

This would drop the value of every pve rare and chests to 400 gold due to farming. Likewise all pvp rares would end up costing 20 plat.

A currency system is relatively easy to balance because you can just change the %. A system like you've outlined really has the potential to hurt some areas of the economy.

Zeus wrote:

In an ideal world, I'd love to see a playback of attacks against my keep. At minimum, I'd like to see the deck list from attackers that beat me deck. (Preferably a deck list of any attacker and its win/loss record, but maybe just a deck list of the attacker that took the keep down for good.)

My thinking here is that attackers inherently learn when they attack. They see what decks are out there and what works or doesn't work. Conversely, if I'm a defender I may come back at some point and log in to see that my hoard is gone. If I don't get some feedback on how it happened, how can I improve?

I would also love to see non-currency rewards for attacking/defending. Could be further split by Gold vs. Plat, though not necessary. Spitballing ideas for this:
      Gold attacker:
      0 wins - no bonus
      1 win - common PVE equipement
      2 wins - chest (starting at common, chance for better)
      3 wins/keep clear - PvE rare

Gold defender:
      Successful defense - PVE equipement w/ chance for chest

Plat attacker:
      0 wins - no bonus
      1 win - chest (starting at uncommon, small chance for better)
      2 wins - AA common card (rotating pool)
      3 wins/keep clear - PvP rare

Plat defender:
      cycle of 3 defences:
      First successful defense - PVE equipement w/ chance for chest
      Second successful defense - AA common card (rotating pool)
      Third successful defense - PvP rare
      Fourth defense goes back to the first prize, and then repeats.
    • Zeus wrote:

In an ideal world, I'd love to see a playback of attacks against my keep. At minimum, I'd like to see the deck list from attackers that beat me deck. (Preferably a deck list of any attacker and its win/loss record, but maybe just a deck list of the attacker that took the keep down for good.)
      Theres another CCG that works like this, Build defense that is played by the AI, then build a deck to beat those decks. The Defense gets to replay all the games to see to what it has a weekness against. The one advantage here is that defense has more tools then attack. Meaning its harder to make killing decks to beat the defense like those decks that are built in PVE.
    • THERE WE GO PVE IS BACK!!!!!

First of all, thank you for this feature and thank you for your extra clarification Cory, the drought is indeed over!!!

Random thoughts on this

-ALL gems, TM deck defense incoming!

-cant wait to see the reaction of competetive pvp players playing vs some of the strong pve decks, and what they can do

-ai can be kinda stupid so low skill decks are likely to be favoured

-terrormill

-cant wait to see like 5k+ plat bounties on this

-EXCELLENT streaming content!

-many mind games possible, if community is conspiring to beat, defender could alter his or her setup to counter the theorycrafted counter decks

-offense seems like it will be extremely hard

-this well pay off for the PvE whales big time

-potential crafting to aid your defense (building defense mechanisms/traps) and crafting for offense too (ex siege weaponry)??

-this is a great way to drive up demand of many items, both pve and pvp

-this will help out the gold economy

Loving this!!!!
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Siege is a small step toward larger things... we would like to iterate on this system until it feels amazing. You should expect changes and additions in the future (like using your mercenaries to defend). We realized that a big portion of "Keeps" was built around a game play system that was untested... so lets test it!

I hope you have fun with this, it was a small part of the MANY ideas I feel in love with when creating HEX, and I am very excited to finally play around with it.

IT WILL NOT be perfect at the beginning... this will be a long process to making it great, but hopefully its an enjoyable process :)

Thank you for daring to put this out, even if it is an Alpha version. It is so much needed.

Greyhaven wrote:

That moment when a sleeping giant snuggles into a deep REM cycle, dreaming about the other games he's been playing, and then a Friday update comes along that stomps on his nuts and says "WAKE UP!"

News like this has me flirting with my reinstall button. Keep it up!
      Grey, we need to talk! I have a few ideas, but we'll need to stomp on quite a few nuts in the guild to make it work ;-).
      Dungeon Crawler / Collector / Raid Leader (when is that going to do anything?)

AstaSyneri of Keep Hibbernathy - Member of The Unnamed Council- the Hex TCG PvE Guild @HexTUC
    • BroomBot wrote:

This would drop the value of every pve rare and chests to 400 gold due to farming. Likewise all pvp rares would end up costing 20 plat.
      I certainly agree with the overall concern, and it would take play testing to figure out what the right balance is of cost/reward. But I will point out that your number are assuming some sort of win rate. Hard to say right now where that win rate average will fall for the better decks.
    • Raptos wrote:

finally a new way to play PVE
      "Play" is a little much, since neither the attacker nor the defender are actually doing any playing at all. I blame the increased heart rate from the good news, my initial read made me think like Atk will also be automated.

But I still shed a tear of joy when I read it. It's a first step, nay, a first leap.

Also, from aonther thread

HEXCoryJones wrote:

as much as I enjoy the graphic nature of this... we will be exploring this one step at a time, the gap between player ability and the AI ability is something we will have to work out... we need to stack the odds on the AI to give it a chance it will NEVER be as good as a human player (don't tell Chris I said that)
      With that said... the goal is to have full PVE for both attacker and defender... with the NOTE (all caps for added emphasis) there would be a large ban / restricted list for Siege mode of PVE cards on the attack side.

as I said this is the first step, we will make it awesome with your help :)
      So F* YEAH.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vroengard ().