Friday Update - Ohhh Yeaah!

    • Hmm. I'm a little bit off-put that Siege just outright gives every PVE card in the pool to defenders to work with, as it feels like this diminishes the incentive to actually pursue and collect those cards--but if that's what's necessary to encourage broader participation, so be it. Other than that, I'm pretty excited to see the launching of this format so here's hoping it really takes off. Nice work, Hex Team!

      Belatedly realized that this sort of introduces in and of itself another avenue for Battleboards to get some love, since you can conceivably kit out your gauntlet defense decks with snazzy themed environments to go toe to toe with opponents when they roll up.
    • Blackwood wrote:

      Hmm. I'm a little bit off-put that Siege just outright gives every PVE card in the pool to defenders to work with, as it feels like this diminishes the incentive to actually pursue and collect those cards--but if that's what's necessary to encourage broader participation, so be it. Other than that, I'm pretty excited to see the launching of this format so here's hoping it really takes off. Nice work, Hex Team!
      The mode does't give the cards afaik - that sentence was meant to mean that you have access to them when deckbuilding if you own them. The keeps don't grant you copies of cards you do not own.
    • Dinotropia wrote:

      The mode does't give the cards afaik - that sentence was meant to mean that you have access to them when deckbuilding if you own them. The keeps don't grant you copies of cards you do not own.
      I'm a lot more pleased if that's the case--at least personally, a lot of Hex to me has become the dogged pursuit of all the little hard to find bits of PVE cards and equipment to build up that 'arsenal'--and it would feel like a wasted opportunity to not encourage more people to go adventuring (and looting) in the FRA and Campaign if there wasn't that new PVE chase element to it.
    • Blackwood wrote:

      Hmm. I'm a little bit off-put that Siege just outright gives every PVE card in the pool to defenders to work with, as it feels like this diminishes the incentive to actually pursue and collect those cards--but if that's what's necessary to encourage broader participation, so be it. Other than that, I'm pretty excited to see the launching of this format so here's hoping it really takes off. Nice work, Hex Team!

      Belatedly realized that this sort of introduces in and of itself another avenue for Battleboards to get some love, since you can conceivably kit out your gauntlet defense decks with snazzy themed environments to go toe to toe with opponents when they roll up.
      *Beep Boop* I'm reasonably sure you have to own the cards to use them. The first line of the paragraph is, "As a defender, you’ll have access to all the cards in your collection." I'm pretty sure the PvE portion is just clarifying that includes PvE cards since normally they wouldn't be something you'd be able to use in deckbuilding.
    • BroomBot wrote:

      *Beep Boop* I'm reasonably sure you have to own the cards to use them. The first line of the paragraph is, "As a defender, you’ll have access to all the cards in your collection." I'm pretty sure the PvE portion is just clarifying that includes PvE cards since normally they wouldn't be something you'd be able to use in deckbuilding.
      I would definitely appreciate clarification, because it's the line "On top of that, you’ll have access to every PvE card that we’ve released and any equipment that you own." that throws me--because it makes it sound like 'On top of the cards you own, you'll also have access to any PVE card we've released'. That bit aside though, I'm pretty excited about the promise and potential to this format.

      I don't doubt that there will be a lot of new deck workshop think-tank work on the forums following the release of Siege--both in honing particularly nasty / difficult decks as well as making really fun puzzlers.

      How flexible is the attack queue liable to be? Will folks be able to assail the Fort Knox of gold that @Colin will no doubt erect? To RSVP the transforming party fortress that @HEXCoryJones is no doubt brewing? Can @Thrawn make attackers his pawns on demand?
    • one quick note:

      HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

      Second quick note:

      Siege is a small step toward larger things... we would like to iterate on this system until it feels amazing. You should expect changes and additions in the future (like using your mercenaries to defend). We realized that a big portion of "Keeps" was built around a game play system that was untested... so lets test it!

      I hope you have fun with this, it was a small part of the MANY ideas I feel in love with when creating HEX, and I am very excited to finally play around with it.

      IT WILL NOT be perfect at the beginning... this will be a long process to making it great, but hopefully its an enjoyable process :)

      -cory
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      We realized that a big portion of "Keeps" was built around a game play system that was untested... so lets test it!
      so, what you're saying is that this isn't a hurdle to putting stuff in the game

      look, i'm happy keep defense is in, seriously, there's not even the slightest ounce of sarcasm in that statement

      but there's this tree like, sitting in the front yard, with fruit growing a foot above the soil, it's probably delicious, let's pick that
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      one quick note:

      HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

      Second quick note:

      Siege is a small step toward larger things... we would like to iterate on this system until it feels amazing. You should expect changes and additions in the future (like using your mercenaries to defend). We realized that a big portion of "Keeps" was built around a game play system that was untested... so lets test it!

      I hope you have fun with this, it was a small part of the MANY ideas I feel in love with when creating HEX, and I am very excited to finally play around with it.

      IT WILL NOT be perfect at the beginning... this will be a long process to making it great, but hopefully its an enjoyable process :)

      -cory
      Cory,

      Very sincerely, thank you. I can't tell you how happy this feature, and your post about it makes me. When I KS this game all those years ago, THIS is the thing that excited me the most. It hits literally all of the buttons for me. I'm so thrilled that you are putting it out there, and willing to let us tinker with it even if it's not perfect upfront. My faith is (mostly) restored!