Friday Update - Game On

    • First, A+ for giving existing players a reasonable way to get the promotion AAs. Much better than the exiled bard promo imo. Also, those are some good cards for the most part.

      Kismet's draft is back already? Man... I just... I like Kismet's draft but I also feel like I've barely made a dent in building my DoW collection. Are there going to be new Kismet's draft sleeves? Guess maybe I'll just have to move to evo for my DoW farming when Kismet returns.

      Interesting to see the Platinum Plunder come back. Thought that was pretty much replaced by Bash but never going to complain about more tournaments.
    • Refugee wrote:

      First, A+ for giving existing players a reasonable way to get the promotion AAs. Much better than the exiled bard promo imo. Also, those are some good cards for the most part.

      Kismet's draft is back already? Man... I just... I like Kismet's draft but I also feel like I've barely made a dent in building my DoW collection. Are there going to be new Kismet's draft sleeves? Guess maybe I'll just have to move to evo for my DoW farming when Kismet returns.

      Interesting to see the Platinum Plunder come back. Thought that was pretty much replaced by Bash but never going to complain about more tournaments.

      Yup very good for the collectors.. really did not expect that. The choices seem...ok but better to chose between 6 than nothing and being force with bad cards.

      I also feel kismet packs are here a little too early. They are good to have 2-3 weeks before a set releases but in the middle like this is a little early. Also how long will they run?

      I am also finding this strange that the platinum plunder is here. I still find it funny that its a free tournament. I mean does hex make money ? ever? I would of found it a great occasion to put the platinuim plunder as a qualifer. Play DRafts - Sealed or any paid tournaments and get tickets to enter. but thats just me


      All in all its a great update that I really did not expect.
    • Alburo wrote:

      Is that right? You don´t get the Salty Sam Mercenary from the Platinum Plunder anymore, just an AA Buccaneer?
      Wonder if that's because of PS4.

      Anyway, great update. Looking forward to everything announced, especially Kismet Draft and the Plunder.

      I do hope Kismet draft doesn't run all the way up to set 9 release, though. Still got plenty of DoW left to collect.
    • Just a note on the Kismet Draft coming back...

      after looking at the history of draft participation in HEX (over several years) with the exception of set 1 (it was around forever)... we have a pretty consistent pattern. After roughly 8-10 weeks the number of people drafting drops significantly, it would appear thats about the shelf life for a draft format in our environment. This is great data to have, and I am committed to trying new things with HEX, so rather than let draft tank for another 2 months lets switch to a "new" Kismet set.

      I think this is a win all the way around, it keeps the game fresh and give us a chance to give away a new set of little rewards (I think you'll dig these)

      I would expect us to keep doing this and we will also keep pushing the boundaries of what Kismet puts in the packs (this time included) :)
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      Just a note on the Kismet Draft coming back...

      after looking at the history of draft participation in HEX (over several years) with the exception of set 1 (it was around forever)... we have a pretty consistent pattern. After roughly 8-10 weeks the number of people drafting drops significantly, it would appear thats about the shelf life for a draft format in our environment. This is great data to have, and I am committed to trying new things with HEX, so rather than let draft tank for another 2 months lets switch to a "new" Kismet set.

      I think this is a win all the way around, it keeps the game fresh and give us a chance to give away a new set of little rewards (I think you'll dig these)

      I would expect us to keep doing this and we will also keep pushing the boundaries of what Kismet puts in the packs (this time included) :)
      Thank you for this.

      Its true that after 8 - 10 weeks drafts drop. Any Reasons why? Other ways to help push draft more ?

      But
      1- How long will the kismet run? Will you go back to old style after ?
      2- Not everyone wants kismet. Any plan to still run both side by side? Even if the regular runs less maybe its still good
    • Not sure why they drop, our formats have been everything from OK to AMAZING... I don't think it's a quality issue. Its just the nature of the content is my guess... the low friction of online access and size of the audience probably impacts it. Its not a problem, BUT my goal is to keep the game as fun and lively as possible and this seems like a good solution.

      Kismet will run until the next set launches... (we may bring back 8-8-7 for a week before the new set, still up in the air)

      again its nice to be agile and we listen to our players...

      No we will not run two formats for draft, splitting the base is not a good idea and would lead to FAR fewer drafts launching.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      Just a note on the Kismet Draft coming back...

      after looking at the history of draft participation in HEX (over several years) with the exception of set 1 (it was around forever)... we have a pretty consistent pattern. After roughly 8-10 weeks the number of people drafting drops significantly, it would appear thats about the shelf life for a draft format in our environment. This is great data to have, and I am committed to trying new things with HEX, so rather than let draft tank for another 2 months lets switch to a "new" Kismet set.

      I think this is a win all the way around, it keeps the game fresh and give us a chance to give away a new set of little rewards (I think you'll dig these)

      I would expect us to keep doing this and we will also keep pushing the boundaries of what Kismet puts in the packs (this time included) :)
      Are you still planning to occasionally do pure flashback events? Don't get me wrong, Kismet draft was amazing, and one of the few times I actually felt comfortable drafting(felt lower stress than regular draft), but I was saddened that we didn't get a flashback evo as 3/4 rotated out since I really loved the 3/4 evo format... and flashbacks are something I've come to look forward to.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

      HEXCoryJones wrote:

      Just a note on the Kismet Draft coming back...

      after looking at the history of draft participation in HEX (over several years) with the exception of set 1 (it was around forever)... we have a pretty consistent pattern. After roughly 8-10 weeks the number of people drafting drops significantly, it would appear thats about the shelf life for a draft format in our environment. This is great data to have, and I am committed to trying new things with HEX, so rather than let draft tank for another 2 months lets switch to a "new" Kismet set.

      I think this is a win all the way around, it keeps the game fresh and give us a chance to give away a new set of little rewards (I think you'll dig these)

      I would expect us to keep doing this and we will also keep pushing the boundaries of what Kismet puts in the packs (this time included) :)
      Are you still planning to occasionally do pure flashback events? Don't get me wrong, Kismet draft was amazing, and one of the few times I actually felt comfortable drafting(felt lower stress than regular draft), but I was saddened that we didn't get a flashback evo as 3/4 rotated out since I really loved the 3/4 evo format... and flashbacks are something I've come to look forward to.
      1 month of Kismet (to keep it fresh and not abuse it ) and 1 month of set 3-4 or 5-6 (draft were great formats )

      Edit: Oh and thank you Cory for answering. its fun to have you around :)
    • I hate to be THAT guy, but would it kill you to at least say PVE content is being even remotely worked on? I'm not the only one who's getting tired of PVP tournaments either being added or returning, without even a sniff of PVE. Your game was sold on PVE and story content, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the occasional update on PVE.
      We da Hexers on da struggle, we da Hexers on da grind. We gotta save Entrath and our pocketbooks at the same time!
    • schild wrote:

      hello

      quick question

      this AA poll, it counts for the last set for 2017 right? It does not eat into the 2018 allotment?

      (also for those wondering, the correct answers are Light'em Up and Brink of Madness, thx for playing)
      The poll is for the Collector's Tier AAs for Dead of Winter (which released in 2017). The poll just took a little while to organize.
    • It seems a little bit odd to give out a card that is no longer in standard as a prize for the platinum plunder but on the other end its just pitty prize really when it goes down that far so i guess its fine having it be thematic rather than strictly valuable and i also maintain that aa buccy was the best AA out of all of those guys.
    • Dinotropia wrote:

      schild wrote:

      hello

      quick question

      this AA poll, it counts for the last set for 2017 right? It does not eat into the 2018 allotment?

      (also for those wondering, the correct answers are Light'em Up and Brink of Madness, thx for playing)
      The poll is for the Collector's Tier AAs for Dead of Winter (which released in 2017). The poll just took a little while to organize.
      word life sir, thank you

      also, to all the devs, thanks for recognizing how quickly draft can get stale

      edh would help tho :saint:
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      Not sure why they drop, our formats have been everything from OK to AMAZING... I don't think it's a quality issue. Its just the nature of the content is my guess... the low friction of online access and size of the audience probably impacts it. Its not a problem, BUT my goal is to keep the game as fun and lively as possible and this seems like a good solution.

      Kismet will run until the next set launches... (we may bring back 8-8-7 for a week before the new set, still up in the air)

      again its nice to be agile and we listen to our players...

      No we will not run two formats for draft, splitting the base is not a good idea and would lead to FAR fewer drafts launching.
      Just be careful of running into reprint fatigue like MtG has. They've been releasing 'Masters' sets of reprints built for drafting for the last few years. Initially, they were incredibly well-received, but the latest ones have been almost dead product. The value of reprinting older cards and novelty draft variants declines the more it's used, because reprints become less desirable the more they're reprinted, and typically quality of sets decreases too, since you're building new variations on essentially the immortal card pool. Eventually you run out of the best combinations.

      As for why the draft formats drop off after a period of time, I'm pretty sure it's natural from players who want to collect new sets while drafting either finishing up, or deciding they've seen enough of the cards. There are players who will keep drafting whatever is current because that's the game to them, but for other players (cough-cough, pve players), it's about collecting the cards from the new sets. After that, draft loses its appeal. Over time you see fewer of the second group.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented