Card Design Contest, Jan. 4 - Jan. 12

• Card Design Contest, Jan. 4 - Jan. 12

The Rules:
      Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Create a "Heresy." Something that the average member of a race of Entrath would see as a break from the core values of that race, or a deviation from usual tactics that would change the way that race (or at least, members of the heresy) fight, live, or interact with others. Make it real. Give us a taste for how it would work. Also, give us a rationale for why it isn't stamped out immediately upon being discovered.

Examples:
      The Runeweb Vennen, users of Sapphire hexing gems - Flying keyword - Not exterminated due to the sheer versatility they bring and the fact that they are sufficiently zealous and adherent to Xentoth's other ways.
      Void Star, the Sightless - Chaostouched Coyotle - Singular individual, new to Entrath and possibly too powerful to assault directly.
      Lixil, Heartsworn - First of the Heartsworn - Backed by an army of similarly freed Necrotic, she's starting a revolution.
      Lazgar Chul - Female Vennen - Utter secrecy since birth, then when revealed, kicked off a horrific war.

New Examples:

Prodigious Leap
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Rare Quick Action
      Vennen and Spiders you control gain +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] and [FLIGHT] this turn.
      Even Vennen without adherence to the ways of the Runeweb have several powerful legs.

Xalia, First Daughter of Xentoth
      4 [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Legendary [UNDERWORLD] Troop - Vennen Warrior Unique
      [LETHAL]
      When this attacks, other Vennen you control are unblockable.
      4 [ATTACK] /4 [DEFENSE]
      After the heresy of Lazgar Chul's existence became undeniable, other heresies came to light. Some however, could be put to rest later.

Judging Criteria:
      Here's what I focus on in judging, in order of priority:
      • Mechanically Creative, yet realistic: Show me something new that hasn't been done before, but make sure it still fits within the realm of HEX gameplay. Feel free to invent keywords and even use non-Entrathian flavor, but keep your designs mechanically grounded to work within the game rules.
      • Game Diversity: Does your creation encourage interesting game play decisions? Could you build a lot of different decks around or with your creation?
      • Elegance: Keep your designs to as little rules text as possible. I tend to start mentally nitpicking overly verbose cards and wondering why sometimes disparate abilities are grafted together on a card.
      • Heresy!: (Blam) What would the average member of the race affected think of this? It shouldn't be 'business as usual.' Humans have rogues and swashbucklers alike, but they "feel" different. A Chaostouched mage would be a Human heresy, a cat burglar would not.
      Rewards:To be edited/inserted when I check my collection and availability.

Deadline:
      The contest will end on Friday, January 12rd at 12pm PST. Judging will take place that evening.
    • Houtomartisan
      5 - [RUBY] [WILD]
      Troop - Elf Warlock
      2/5
      3 -> Exhaust this: Summon a Houtomaton.

Derived from the Dwarves' ability to create faux life from raw materials, the art of Houtomartisanry was initially met with great scorn.

Houtomaton
      Artifact, Troop - Elf Construct
      2/2, [STEADFAST]

The products of Houtomartisanry won the approval of the elves through their capabilities as stalwart sentries, replacing and thereby saving many elves.

Glimmerglen Golden Rains
      4 - [WILD] [WILD]
      Constant - Lair
      When a Houtomaton enters play under your control, it gets [LIFEDRAIN] and +1/+1.

Feralroot Firs
      4 - [WILD] [RUBY]
      Constant - Lair
      When a Houtomaton enters play under your control, it gets +3/+1.

Briarpatch Birches
      4 - [WILD] [RUBY]
      Constant - Lair
      When a Houtomaton enters play under your control, it gets [SWIFTSTRIKE] and +1/+1

Sequoia Sapling
      1 - [WILD] [WILD]
      Troop - Plant
      0/3
      At the start of your turn, this gets a Growth counter. This has +1 [DEFENSE] per Growth counter.
      At the end of your turn, if this has 2 or more Growth counters, this transforms into a Sequoia Stalwart.
      If you control a Houtomartisan -> 3 -> Summon a Houtomaton. It gets +x/+x equal to the number of Growth counters on this. Revert this.

Sequoia Stalwart
      5 - [WILD] [WILD]
      Troop - Plant
      0/6
      At the start of your turn, this gets a Growth counter. This has +2 [DEFENSE] per Growth counter.
      If you control a Houtomartisan -> 3 -> Summon a Houtomaton. It gets [CRUSH] and +x/+x equal to the number of Growth counters on this. Revert this.

EDIT: Additional note: 'Hout' is the Dutch word for 'Wood', as in the raw material. The 'ou' in it is pronounced like 'ou' in 'loud', which makes it somewhat overlap with 'automaton'.
    • Richter, Herbal Mechanic

Cost : 3

S/W

Unique Dwarf Plant troop

When a plant enters play under your control, it gets the additional type robot, gains +1/+0 and flight.

When a robot enters play under your control, it gets the additional type plant, gains +0/+1 and "deathcry : summon a blightblossom"

2/3 steadfast.

" I keep telling them ! Nature is full of oil, combustibles, screws, and objectively engineered calculations ! Trees are just big stationary robots ! " But oohh " Richter is weird" , "Richter should sing songs with elves if he likes trees so much ... ", " Richter freaks me out since he has grown moss and flowers on his face "... I'll show all those biggots when my meca-bloombringer is ready... " - Richter, after being ridiculed a third time in a row at the annual dwarven innovation convention.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Name: Nvinb'winb
      Cost: 4
      Threshold Requirement:
      Type: Unique Troop - Shin'hare Rogue
      Faction: [UNDERWORLD]
      Rarity: Legendary
      Abilities: Deploy: Void a troop you control.
      Void a troop you control during your ready phase.
      If you void a troop you control than you can't be defeated until the end phase of your next turn.
      1 /1
      Favor Text: Many has tried but all have failed to get Nvinb'winb to stop vanishing his own party even once by trying to exile him from the underworld. - Uzume, Grand Concubunny Elite
    • The Luminaries are zealous and righteous, but they are always focused on serving others. Rekindle, Candlelit Cavalry, and really the whole Illuminate mechanic, all focus on looking out for the little guys. But what always struck me as a little off was Lady of Wax. Why was she sacrificing troops to protect herself?

It must be because there is a part of the Luminaries beneath the happy candles and fluffy Kindlekits.

She must be the a part of the Luminaries that are just a little more zealous... a little more ruthless... a little more... bloodthirsty.

She must be part of the Wax Inquisition.

The darkness must be burned out, even if the darkness resides in the hearts of your allies.

Inquisitor of Wax
      Troop - Human Warrior

(2) , Sacrifice another troop: Illuminate 1.

"Fear not death. Your funeral pyre will be a light to us all."

3 [ATTACK] / 1 [DEFENSE]

• Sorok acolyte
      4 [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Troop - Necrotic
      Deploy - Each opposing champion creates a Duskwing Priest and puts it into play.
      [BASIC] [1] -> Shift a random keyword ability on another target troop onto this.
      3/3
      "The Sorok have forsaken our ways - aspiring to their own depraved vampirism. They must be found and exterminated." - Tovot, Duskwing Priest

The Sorok pervert the normal "sharing" ability that exists with Shift - taking it all for themselves. This has particularly deprived the priests / paladins amongst the Necrotic since they thrive on their lifedrain and flight. Fortunately for the Sorok though, making enemies of the clergy alone has let them avoid the full retribution of most other Necrotic, to whom they don't pose any threat.
    • Sorry for the delay on the closing, all! Zyblen's player caught the Rotten Rancor IRL, AKA the flu.

Results:

1st Prize - Olfff & Richter, Herbal Mechanic - Take your pick of 500p, 2 DoW boosters and 100p, or a Void Star, or Lixil (Heartsworn). (Let me know here, via mail, or via forum PM at your preference and convenience.)
      I love the idea of a "heretic" dwarf. I was figuring that one would involve construction of robots and joists and tunnels without a single-point pin to collapse them or self-destruct. I like your solution better.

2nd Prize - EVERYONE ELSE - Look for 200p in your mailbox.
      I seriously love all of these. I think I could build a deck around any of them, and would have an utter blast doing so. Kudos to you all for coming up with neat ideas and fun mechanic alterations that could be toyed with!

See you all in the upcoming challenges and around Entrath!
    • Thanks Zyblen ! Glad you liked the dwarf.

I'll take the 500 plat please.

The next contest is coming very soon folks.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Firellius wrote:

200P for everyone? Whoa, that's pretty generous! Thanks for the contest, Zyblen!
      Heh. I could have tossed out a pack each, but figured that with 200p, everyone could buy their own. Or a couple of evolving drafts if they had the packs already. Or a good rare to fill out their collection or deck building. The options of what to buy are more valuable than me tossing out random cards. (I'll save that for when I get started streaming, or when I have a lot of prizes to give out. Five people is easy.)

Glad you enjoyed. Heresy on! *blam*