Design Contest: Dec. 16 - Dec 23

• Design Contest: Dec. 16 - Dec 23

Challenge:
      Design a card that can be cast in 2+ different modes.

Examples:
      Modal casting is a way to smooth out randomness in the game - often sacrificing specialization and overall power to achieve something that is "pretty good" in many more situations.

Commonly, this is done with different casting costs:
      - Madness of the Mountain God has empower, so it can be cast big or huge.
      - Vorpus has Frostform, so it can be durable or fragile.
      - Primordial Gralk , Stratolith , and Immolith can cause shenanigans before they even hit the board.
      - Skarnbreath costs whatever you can afford.

But this principal can also apply to:
      - Riftstorm 's portals, which can be cast on later turns (in a substantially different forms) if they aren't something you want now... and
      - many effects that play out substantially different if you delay casting them until you have mana to use them (think Wolsy Wabbit , Marrowmage , Mistlord , and Highlands Blackbelt )
      - resources like Monsagi Coins , which can be cycled for new cards if you already have enough resources.

Prizes:
      1st - four picks from the 12 examples listed above (and makes the next contest!!!)
      2nd - three of the remaining
      3rd - two of the remaining
      4th - the leftovers

Focus:
      Winners will be selected based on...
      elegance (simple/succinct rules text resulting in complex/interesting gameplay);
      flavor (suitability of chosen shards/faction/race, use of humour/lore/imagery);
      balance (reasonable power-level when considered alone and in context of the game overall); and
      ingenuity (creativity/brilliance/genius)

Results will be announced Dec. 23rd after noon EST, so get your submissions in before then.

Good luck!
    • I'm not sure which of my ideas I like better. You guys help me decide.

Plains Garden-Matron
      4 [WILD] [WILD]
      Uncommon Troop - Coyotle Mage
      Deploy: Choose one of the following: You may play an additional resource this turn, or Summon a Plains Garden-Helper.
      2 [ATTACK] /4 [DEFENSE]
      Those who embody the blessings of life are frequently called upon in coyotle culture.

Plains Garden-Helper
      2 [WILD] [WILD]
      Common Troop - Coyotle
      [EXHAUST] : Summon a Shroompin.
      1 [ATTACK] /2 [DEFENSE]
      "I found another one!"

A coyotle farmer is a bit of an oddity, but a mother and herbalist gives some flexibility to the standard "Wild Ramp" deck. Do you want to lay out an additional resource, or do you want to add in a troop factory? She's not a Shin'hare, so popping out additional coyotle would be horrifying. Still, if her pup can bring some additional friends out, that adds to the longer-term goal of Wild. How do you want to play? Quick ramp or slower troop-build?

Alternatively:
      Lucky Bulwark
      Rare troop - Leprechaun Warrior
      3 [WILD] [DIAMOND]
      Deploy: Choose one of the following: This gets " [EXHAUST] : Create a Lucky Coin and add it to your hand."; or This gets " [EXHAUST] : Stun target opposing troop."
      2 [ATTACK] /5 [DEFENSE]
      The guardians of the Goldfella clan are as notorious for their luck as they are for their brutality.

Similar thought to the above, but with a slightly bulky body to attach to it. Resource building, more safety/protection for the other troops, or a blocker? You'll have to choose one of the former on deployment and decide which is best on a turn-by-turn basis between your choice and the latter.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Zyblen: Adding rationale. ().

• Venra, Wandering Sorceress
      Cost 4
      Legendary Unique Human Wizard

When Venra enters play, draw a card. It gets cost -1.
      [ONESHOT] Affinity: Deploy: If you meet the conditions, Venra may get one of the following abilities:
      If you control an Elemental troop: Elemental Affinity: [EXHAUST] Deal 3 damage to target Champion or Troop.
      If you control a Spirit troop: Spirit Affinity: When Venra deals damage, summon a Phantom for each point of damage dealt.
      If you control a Vampire, Zombie, or Undead troop: Undead Affinity: When Venra deals damage to an opposing champion, revert and transform a troop in your crypt into a Zombie and put it into play. When Venra kills an enemy troop, revert it and transform it into a Vampire and put it into play under your control.
      If you control a Beast: Beast Affinity: Prevent any damage dealt to Venra or Beasts you control by opposing beasts. If Venra blocks a beast, her controller gets control of that beast.
      If you control an Entity or a card with Portal: Rift Affinity: When you play a card with Portal, create a new Portal of the same rarity and put it in your hand.
      If you control a Plant: Plant Affinity: When an allied troop dies, summon a Seed Pod.

2 /4
      The so-called "wonders of this world" are no longer wonders to me and these 'gems' they fight over mean nothing to me, yet still I seek something more. I know not what it is, yet I believe will know it when I find it.

So the basic premise is, played alone, she's a 2/4 that draws you a card. Pretty bad. But she's colourless(as per her flavour, she cares not for the hexing gems, her power transcends that) and can get a powerful ability if you meet the conditions for her gifts.

I imagine she'd get PvE equipment that removes the 'one of' from her deploy ability, allowing you to get multiple synergies. But I think she'd be broken if she could get more than 1 of the abilities ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Ambitious Novice
      2 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      Human
      1/1
      When you play an action, this gets either +1 attack, or +1 defence.

While this is in your hand, at the end of the turn, if you drew more than one card, this transforms into Ambitious Apprentice

Ambitious Apprentice
      4 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      Human Mage
      2/2
      When you play an action, this gets +1/+1

While this is in your hand, at the end of the turn, if you gained three or more charges, this transforms into Ambitious Journeyman

Ambitious Journeyman
      4 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      Human Mage
      4/4
      When you play an action, this gets +1/+1, and you draw a card.

While this is in your hand, at the end of the turn, if you played three or more actions, this transforms into Ambitious Master

Ambitious Master
      4 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      Human Mage
      6/6
      When you play an action, this gets +1/+1 and a random boon, and you draw a card.

While this is in your hand, at the end of the turn, if you used your charge power, gained more than one charge, drew more than one card and played three or more actions, this transforms into The Grandmaster

The Grandmaster
      4 [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE]
      8/8
      When you play an action, this gets +1/+1 and a random boon. Draw a card. Create a random action and put it into your hand.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Firellius ().

• Firellius wrote:

While this is in your hand, at the end of the turn, if you used your charge power, gained more than one charge, drew more than one card and played three or more actions, this transforms into The Grandmaster
      Bit of playful feedback, Firellius. If I've drawn more than one card in a turn, gained three or more charges in another turn, and played three or more actions in another turn, I'd better have already won the game or be playing control-burst vs. aggro and knowing that the game will be over in another turn or so already.
    • Firellius, I would honestly suggest keeping the cost of your cards the same after the last 3 transformations. Yes a 4 cost 8/8 is crazy, but the hoops you've had to jump through to get to that point justify it.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Portal Openers Organization Founder
      2 [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY]
      Rare Troop - Goblin

Deploy: This gets "Deploy: Summon a Portal Openers Weaponization/Enhancement Researcher". If you control an odd number of goblins, this gets " Deploy: Put a common portal into your hand". If you control an even number of Goblins, this gets "Deploy: Create a Lost In Time with cost 0 and put it into your hand."

If this would take combat damage, you may instead return it to your hand.

[ATTACK] 1 / 1 [DEFENSE]
      "If I could only get some real combat experience, I'd be able take POO to the next level!"

Portal Openers Weaponization/Enhancement Researcher
      Troop - Goblin

Goblins you control have Quick.

Portals in your hand are upgraded by one rarity for every 3 goblins you control (this effect does not stack with other Portal Openers Weaponization/Enhancement Researcher).

When you play Lost In Time, you may transform it into Temporal Exile if you control 4 or more goblins, or Into the Unknown if you control 8 or more goblins.

1 / 1
      "Now you're thinking with portals!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by GeneralVeers ().

• GeneralVeers wrote:

Portals in your hand are upgraded by one rarity for every 3 goblins you control (this effect does not stack with other Basic 'Openers Organization Members).
      When does this effect take place?

Every turn? When a portal is created? When a portal transforms? When you deploy a goblin?

• It's intended to be a passive effect that modifies the rarity of portals in your hand for so long as POWER is in play.

So when POWER enters play, the only effect on Portals in your hand is that their rarities will increase (a baby yeti stays a baby yeti, but with a higher rarity). At the start of your next turn, provided you still control POWER, your baby yeti would transform into a card with the new rarity. If a common portal were to enter your hand while you control POWER, it'd immediately transform into a card with the new rarity.

At least, that's how I'd hoped it would work...

The thing I'm hoping works as intended is that the Deploys that POOF gains when it deploys don't trigger on the same deploy (POOF should not summon or create any cards on its first play if you play it with an empty board)

The post was edited 1 time, last by GeneralVeers ().

• Paths of Ascension

Cost 15

Shardless basic Action

Search for an Ascension card in your deck and put in into your hand, you may cast it for free this turn.

While there is 20 or more cards in opposing crypts, this has cost -5 and gets " troops you control become chaostouched and unblockable "

While there are 10 or more actions in your crypt, this has cost -5 and gets " draw 2 cards ".

While you have at least 10 health above your starting health total, this has cost -5 and gets " Troops you control get +1/+1 and lifedrain "

While the combined atk of troops you control is at least 10, this has cost -5 and gets " cards in your hand and deck get "this can't be transformed or interrupted "

While you have at least 8 charges, this has cost -5 and gets " deal 5 damage to each opposing champion and troop"

If this has cost -10 or less, this gets " search for all ascension cards in your deck and them into your hand, you may cast them for free this turn" instead.

" Not only do I want to ascend... I really want to put you down, too. "

>>> We don't have a ruby or wild ascension yet, so I took the gamble that wild will be about creature power and ruby about the number of charges you can have in the bank somehow.

A ridiculous card for a ridiculous concept, "what if I wanted a deck that plays all ascensions in one deck, what could go wrong ? " , I made a card that ( maybe ? ) would slightly alleviate the burden of trying to meet 5 ascension requirements. The ascensions overwritte one another so getting the card to -10 cost would be more about having choice regarding which parangon you want to become.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Canyon Wildrunner

3 [WILD]

Quick Troop - Coyotle

2/2

Speed
      Deploy - Target troop gets +2/+2 and crush untill end of turn.

This is supposed to be an uncommon troop, as it is unfortunatly a little too bad for constructed (mainly due to combat tricks generally being a lot worse in constructed), but I think it could be a very interesting card for limited.
      Semi-Inspired (not actually inspired, but after thinking about the similarities balanced around) by Puke Troll, but given the spin of this contest.

The post was edited 2 times, last by nqumyf ().

• nqumyf wrote:

3 [WILD]

Quick Troop - Coyotle

2/2

Speed

This is supposed to be an uncommon troop, as it is unfortunatly a little too bad for constructed (mainly due to combat tricks generally being a lot worse in constructed), but I think it could be a very interesting card for limited.
      Semi-Inspired (not actually inspired, but after thinking about the similarities balanced around) by Puke Troll, but given the spin of this contest.
      Does it have a name? :)

• Eraia wrote:

nqumyf wrote:

3 [WILD]

Quick Troop - Coyotle

2/2

Speed

Does it have a name? :)
      I knew I forgot something.
      Ill add one, thanks.
    • Card:
      Twilight Specter
      1XX [DIAMOND] [BLOOD]
      Troop - Spirit
      1/1

Lifedrain, Flight, Lethal
      As this enters play, it gets +X/+X.
      Deploy - If this has 4 or more attack, destroy all troops.

Comments: This card can either be played as a troop or a boardwipe. At X=0, it's a 1 cost 1/1 with flight, lethal, and lifedrain, which is likely most significant as a blocker to take advantage of lethal. The two thresholds prevents you from playing it on turn 1, so despite being a 1-cost 1/1 with three fairly powerful keywords, I don't think it's too over the top as far as balance is concerned. At X=1 or X=2, the lethal matters less and Twilight Specter's lifedrain and flight start to shine as it becomes a 3 cost 2/2 or 5 cost 3/3. Finally at X=3, Twilight Specter is simply a 7-cost boardwipe. Not the most efficient, but that's the drawback of modal cards and it's certainly a useful mode if you're too far behind on the boardl for Twilight Specter to have a significant impact as a troop.

I considered having keywords tied to the value of X in order to add more nobs for balance adjusting, but that makes the card more complex and the balance of this version is probably close enough for constructed while being powerful, but certainly not unbeatable in limited.

Second Card:
      Spellsnag Diver
      Quick Troop - Dwarf
      2/3

Deploy - Transform target action on the chain or in your hand into a Mysterious Rune.
      When a Rune enters play under your control, draw a card.
      When an opposing Rune enters play, this deals 2 damage to each opposing champion.

Comments: I love the versatility of Runebind and I wanted to try to take advantage of that in a different way. This can either be used as a Runebind-esque effect against opposing actions that also deals a bit of direct damage if you need to tempo and aggro your opponent out of the game, or you can use this to ambush an opposing attacker and transform an action in your own hand to generate card advantage. This dwarf would be another member of the rune-loving dwarves that we've seen in Frostheart and Dead of Winter.
    • For some of the keywords, you will have to check out this thread.

Name: Crazy Stevie
      Cost: 5
      Threshold Requirement: random threshold
      Type: Unique Troop - Earthling Transformer
      Faction: Offset
      Rarity: Legendary
      Abilities: The threshold requirement changes during each of your Ready phases.
      [BLOOD] : Disguise
      [DIAMOND] : Foundation
      [RUBY] : cost 2 → Frostform
      [SAPPHIRE] : Deploy: Transform into target troop.
      [WILD] : Empower
      4 /6
      Favor Text: WHAT!?! Crazy Stevie is loose again. - Rising Star
    • My submission: the Actions that manifest as troops before they could be played.

Eclipse of the Blood Dragon
      7 [BLOOD] [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Action
      ----
      [ONESHOT] [BASIC] 3, Reveal this card from your hand: Summon a Uruunaz's Shadow.

Destroy all troops. Each opponent loses health equal to the number of troops destroyed this way.

When this would leave your hand, sacrifice any Uruunaz's Shadow you control.

Uruunaz brings the deathly touch of night to extinguish the light of hope.
      Uruunaz's Shadow
      3 [BLOOD]
      Troop - Manifestation
      ----
      Lethal.

When this dies, discard the card that summoned this.

2 [ATTACK] /1 [DEFENSE]

Basic idea: The super powerful action can manifest as a troop on the field. However, the spell in your hand and the troop in your hand remain linked. If the troop is destroyed, you discard the spell. If the spell in your hand is discarded, you lose troop.

However, this gives you something you can do with your overly expensive spell before you can get the seven resources required to play it. YAY OPTIONS!!!
    • Hopefully, everyone has been having a great intro to the holiday season. It certainly took me longer than I expected to be able to judge these great entries.

And with no further delay, the results:

- 4th: invinible with Crazy Stevie. I dig the portal-esqe changing of a card in your hand at the beginning of each turn and this one doesn't even care about your current thresholds. Accordingly, sometimes this will be harder to cast than others. I also dig the disguise ability... loads of possibilities depending on which conditions drop the disguise.

- 3rd: Firellius with Ambitious Novice. This "level-up" card has loads of depth and possibility before it even hits play. Depending on what else you're holding, you might track out a clear path to lvl3 or 4... or just get him growing by casting him in his base 2-cost form. The fact that this plays so well with bounce is extra fun. This set should definitely have a back-to-school themed bounce spell!

- 2nd: Steric with Twilight Specter. Great card that can be cast in different ways at different times. Each form is remarkably well balanced and creates interesting synergy with existing cards like Gloaming Edict. Might be interesting to see with destroying all *other* troops, but the costing is so well done, I wouldn't want to change a thing about it.

- 1st: @Arcanyx with Eclipse of the Blood Dragon. Clearly I'm loving on troops that can also be sweepers. This is perfect representation of a card that can be cast in two ways. Great flavor and broadly applicable mechanics - and all in a concise, easily explained package. I like how the two forms are connected, too - ensures the versatility comes with a clear cost.

Arcanyx, let me know what you want prize-wise and I'll follow up down the chain. And don't forget to launch the next contest!

Thanks to everyone for such creative entries. :)