PVE Wishlists and Plotting

• PVE Wishlists and Plotting

Positivity time! I love HEX. I love the team, I love the game, I love the adventure zones, I love the community, I love the lore. <3 <3 <3 <3

While this may be classified as "feedback," I would rather have a brainstorming session with everyone. While nothing's set in stone, and PVE is currently FRA and a "Choose Your Own Adventure" style AZ 1 and 2, I want to hear what people think. I want to have an open discussion about what you, dear reader, want for PVE. This can be anywhere from "more of the same" all the way up to fully-plotted organization.
      Here are my top two and their inspirations (one a third-person running shooter, one a grid-based strategy game).

Cooperative Raids
      What's more fun than playing card games? Card games with friends! I suggest that HEX Entertainment take a page from Warframe in this. Give us the ability to queue up a "pod" of players (2-8) and throw us into dungeons against challenging odds. Take the Kraken and Bound Giant fights and put them back to full difficulty. Make us squirm, make us synergize, make us plan and plot. Don't give us cheap spellshield and immune-timer junk, but do give us challenges that can and will wipe the floor with us, and alter their tactics based upon how well we're doing and how quickly. Heck, give us 2v2 and 8v8 PVP if it'll help build this, but let us tune our decks to face things that we actually couldn't win against, 1 on 1.

Player Created Dungeons
      An endless stream of engaging content, right now! Trot out those development tools and push them public. This is borrowed from Chaos Reborn. Let us design a dungeon, craft decks that are finely-tuned (or hot garbage) and slap in an AI and champion. I'd say limit it to 2-20 nodes, with 3-4 branches, to prevent "hallway type" dungeon creation. Let us make the text, the challenges, and select the backgrounds. Let us put a (reasonable to low) gold reward for completion. Above all, put in a rating system with stars and difficulty selectors. Let the cream rise and the muck sink, but engage and employ the hungry community to create content for each other. Take a page from Plague Inc. and let the community reward each other for innovation and fun. Give the top few percent of content creators an AA card or a sleeve every 3 or 6 months.

Have more ideas? Post 'em up, folks! Give feedback on others (constructive) or explain why you like or don't. I want to see discussion and thoughts, and maybe the developers will cherry pick some ideas.
    • My wishlist was something I posted here: Hex Campaign Suggestions but I'll coles notes it here as well...

Evo Dungeon
      The basic concept of this is that your character and your mercenaries are stripped of their decks for this dungeon. You're given a preset pool of uncommons/commons to build from, as well as 2 special packs to open, similar to Evo Gauntlet. Each pack contains 20 cards and 4 equipments guaranteed to be for cards in your pool(bear in mind you have the preset of common/uncommon to use). 15 of these are guaranteed to be pvp commons or pve common/uncommons. 4 of these cards randomly roll from among current set pvp uncommons, pve rares, pve legendaries, or pvp rares(with decreasing likelihood of course). The final card is a pve rare.

You're then given the opportunity to build decks for this dungeon and set to tackle 10 somewhat random encounters of increasing difficulty. At nodes 4 and 8 you open an additional of these pack. Additionally, you can complete challenges in up to 4 encounters to earn pve packs themed after the encounter.(ex. you might get a Hag encounter with a challenge. Complete that and you open two Kraken pve packs for your pool. Or a goblin encounter might reward devonshire packs)

If you complete the entire dungeon, you get one current set pvp pack as your prize. All cards opened from the packs are kept. So you're paying the entry fee for up to 8 pve packs, four of these 'special' pve packs, and a chance at a single pvp pack. If you lose five times, you're out.

Randomized Campaign content
      Add a dungeon with randomized encounters and rewards, with specialized buffs/unlocks throughout... basically Arena but with campaign characters and utilizing the kind of 'campaign dungeon buffs' found in places like the Kraken dungeon.

Overworld 'group boss'

A rotating monthly boss that has a chance to spawn on any campaign node that anyone can take on solo, who isn't THAT difficult but not a pushover either... but when a certain number of people beat him, everyone who beat him gets a reward for their contribution to the overall 'raid'.

Also, beating him awards a token to gift to someone else to let them fight it. Each person can only fight the boss once.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Even before cooperative raids, they just need to introduce fights that involve more than 2 parties. That way, "Each opposing champion" can finally stop being a placeholder text. There was a lot of chance to introduce it in the campaign, but they went for a queuing mechanism to avoid having to implement it.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Zyblen wrote:

Player Created DungeonsAn endless stream of engaging content, right now! Trot out those development tools and push them public. This is borrowed from Chaos Reborn. Let us design a dungeon, craft decks that are finely-tuned (or hot garbage) and slap in an AI and champion. I'd say limit it to 2-20 nodes, with 3-4 branches, to prevent "hallway type" dungeon creation. Let us make the text, the challenges, and select the backgrounds. Let us put a (reasonable to low) gold reward for completion. Above all, put in a rating system with stars and difficulty selectors. Let the cream rise and the muck sink, but engage and employ the hungry community to create content for each other. Take a page from Plague Inc. and let the community reward each other for innovation and fun. Give the top few percent of content creators an AA card or a sleeve every 3 or 6 months.
      I know I would really enjoy making and playing these type of dungeons.

Quite honestly, if there were modding tools released, I would build loads of stuff.
    • Arkansaw wrote:

Even before cooperative raids, they just need to introduce fights that involve more than 2 parties. That way, "Each opposing champion" can finally stop being a placeholder text. There was a lot of chance to introduce it in the campaign, but they went for a queuing mechanism to avoid having to implement it.
      This is exactly why I said

Zyblen wrote:

Heck, give us 2v2 and 8v8 PVP if it'll help build this
      :)

Cyru wrote:

Zyblen wrote:

Player Created Dungeons
      I know I would really enjoy making and playing these type of dungeons.
      Quite honestly, if there were modding tools released, I would build loads of stuff.
      Same! I want to make a "Shin'hare outpost invasion nightmare" full of horde decks. I want to create an "assault the stronghold" where I can draw out a raid on a scouting party and progress it to a full on attack on an Ardent fortress with established defenses while I'm scrambling to keep from being annihilated before I start.

Let me build decks and tune them. Let me set an AI to run them against players. Let them drop me feedback and ratings on how much they enjoy running the content that I create.

While I'm sure that the HEX Entertainment team is going to be excellent in making their PVE material, let us have a go at it! Especially if it provides us endless content and gives them time to build the multiplayer and raids and guilds.

Eraia wrote:

Evo Dungeon
      I saw yours. I was considering linking it as I didn't want to derail your thread with "what does everyone want?" I figured you'd post your desires. I also didn't want to assume that thread was your greatest wish. Once again, I'm right. Muahaha. :P
    • wishlist; mmo gameplay (that means massively multiplayer) or replayable strategy gameplay (eg. draft), not more static text adventure levels

probably needs to be more like limited/roguelikes/battlearenas where everyone starts somewhat evenly and upgrades their deck/party/character through a short procedurally generated stage instead of rpg-like where large open 3d worlds and lots of scripted content keeps it interesting

i like rpg campaigns too, but they tend to be fun because of massive budgets. hex's tiny map of nodes and lines of text can't compete with those. there's not much immersion. the feeling of adventure/exploration is gone after a couple hours, especially when it's basically a straight line with some reconnecting forks where choices don't matter. it's like they made a board game instead of a video game, but they forgot that those need a DM and other human players
    • Zyblen wrote:

I also didn't want to assume that thread was your greatest wish.
      as far as Hex stuff goes... prettymuch.

I mean my greatest gaming wish is for the English localization of Trails of Cold Steel 3 to be ready already... but this forum is about Hex, so we'll go with the evo dungeon and the campaign version of arena.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Zyblen wrote:

Arkansaw wrote:

Even before cooperative raids, they just need to introduce fights that involve more than 2 parties. That way, "Each opposing[/b] champion" can finally stop being a placeholder text. There was a lot of chance to introduce it in the campaign, but they went for a queuing mechanism to avoid having to implement it.
      This is exactly why I said

Zyblen wrote:

Heck, give us 2v2 and 8v8 PVP if it'll help build this

Might still be too much "work" for them. Probably the paid-FRA or EVO for PvE is more realistic since the work is still fresh on their minds. But if you don't go into PvP, it just delays the PvE endgame by a little. Unfortunately the rogue-like substantial content that would much better serve the purpose of endgame, or Shandalar clone, is the kind of content that is "too much work". Yeah I will just go back to Shandalar (huge setback for Hex if they ever thought big about PvE but cannot even match Shandalar).
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Again, this is a topic that I would need to actively think about for several days, but I can throw some quick ideas around. I don't care about how difficult these would be to make and how different it would be from what we currently have. The question was what we would like to see in a dream scenario. Here goes:

• Hire some good writers and create an engaging story for each race-class combo. And I mean writing in the vein of Betrayal at Krondor. Even if it were just text, I would want to play each one through at least once. Immersion. Give it to me. No copy-pasted text where you just change the racial word. Loooong story beats. I bet many would like to basically read an interactive book while playing. Option to skip mandatory.
      • A huge map full of dungeons that you can explore with your friend(s). No separate multiplayer experience. Has to be the same campaign/map for both. It is supposed to be easier when not going at it alone. Many games cop out and just add a few multiplayer missions. No, no, no. Think Neverwinter Nights. You can play everything with your friend from the very beginning, or by yourself, whichever is more fun for you.
      • This huge map could also be littered with player-generated caves, forests, fortresses, whatever. More content.
      • All PvE cards could be collected by playing PvE. There would be shops on the map, traveling merchants, random encounters, whatever they could come up as a source. Cards could be difficult to find, but you could still collect them all by playing PvE.
      • Some kind of easy way to trade directly with your friend on the map. Equipment too. "I found a good sword, but I already have a nice axe. Here, you take this before the next dungeon. Take some of my Dingler Soldiers as well, your deck needs them more in the upcoming fight."
      • Individual cards would gain exp and level up. Maybe they could even permanently die. Remember, no need to buy cards here. You would just recruit more troops somewhere on the map. Maybe even completely different ones.
      • Basically what I want is an insanely varied and in-depth single-player (+ co-op) experience, with a sense of discovery, exploration, advancement and immersion with massive replayability. This might require a complete revamp of the entire PvE experience. On the other hand, I don't even know exactly what I want. I just know that I will know when I see it. HEX already has great gameplay. Now I just need an engaging RPG environment where I can play around with all the mechanics.
      I am aware some of my ideas would require restrictions, but I for one would even love to start from scratch in the correct environment. Create a completely different, AAA PvE game and monetize that. Leave the current campaign in the PvP/PvE hybrid game, then launch Chronicles of Entrath - a PvE only MMORPG with card mechanics that you have been developing in secret all this time and drop the mic.
    • My needs are so simple. I just want regular, small content updates between major feature updates. I don't care what the major feature updates are -- I trust they'll be fun and interesting. Just release a little gameplay every couple of weeks. Don't let the PVE community sit for months on end twiddling their thumbs with no news. It's like, basic live ops and player retention 101.

I have several friends who were so stoked about MTG with PVE who ultimately bailed, not because the current content wasn't compelling (I think the campaign is actually very clever and fun), but because there's never any news to get excited about -- nothing to look forward to or reengage with, no matter how tiny. PVE in Hex is like going on a date with someone who won't respond to conversation. They may sit there and smile and nod and look attractive, but that will only hold anyone's attention for so long.
    • I would prefer co-op frost ring arena to start.

UI shouldnt be that hard in my opinion although it will take some programming and testing.
      I would also love to see tham work with layers so you have to beat the first layer to get to the second and maybe even third layer after that whyle that enemy starts building up from start. (Example vid of how i like it, sorry for my bad voice)

it would allow for some extremely hard combinations that would be very fun to crack
    • Ertzi wrote:

The question was what we would like to see in a dream scenario.
      Indeed it was. I want to use this thread as a "sounding board" of sorts. I want posts that I can point to when someone says "Well, nobody knows what the PVE players actually want." and reply "We've been actively telling anyone that would listen."

Core wrote:

My needs are so simple. I just want regular, small content updates between major feature updates.
      Simple is good. Even "another small dungeon tacked on to an AZ" or "Here's a preview of the upcoming dungeon, somewhat untested. Here's a bug report button, and realize that rewards won't actually be given until this goes live, but give it a test!" would be nice.

Frederik wrote:

I would prefer co-op frost ring arena to start.
      I would also love to see tham work with layers so you have to beat the first layer to get to the second and maybe even third layer
      it would allow for some extremely hard combinations that would be very fun to crack
      See FFXIV: The Binding Coil of Bahamut, The Second Coil of Bahamut, and The Final Coil of Bahamut. See the plot of Terra Battle: Delving deeper to the core of the world to find what's going wrong.

So much yes. Let us fight our way in to Volosolov. Let us attack a stronghold where one of the Shin'Hare Emperor's favored lackeys is holed up. Let us finally crack the stronghold of a Human Noble. Co-op with "Wave Tactics" battles, escalating.