PS4 players getting beatdown by Cosmic ranked God's!!!

• PS4 players getting beatdown by Cosmic ranked God's!!!

As a PS4 player who has invested near $50, I am currently floating at a modest low gold/high silver rank happily creating and refining my own decks trying to learn each skills and understand how each card plays off one another. While I truly enjoy the game its becoming somewhat frustrating atm.

I say this as it's becoming more and more prevalent for me to get matched against a cosmic ranked player with a keyed out deck smashing me in 4-6 shards, been a reoccurring trend for 2 solid days now. It's getting to the point when I see a elemental PC player I just bail because I am tired of being smoked by candles... While I know I could sell some of my cards to gain the proper materials to play that candle game, I am trying to learn while still gain a competitive experience with other meta-elements.

I do not mind taking a beating, but a 5 shard beat-down again and again no matter what type of deck manipulation/elimination cards I bring with me starts to get frustrating. Maybe I'm just getting the crap end of the draw, but it's definitely beginning to detour me from the game.

If there was perhaps a skill based system implemented, or a system that paired us meager PS4 players with at least at a 7/10 split it would be more encouraging to us players trying to battle our way towards a few extra packs...

BTW' I am utilizing a burial deck, and a verdict deck that does well against most PS4 players, but as soon as its a PC player its complete deck manipulation and pwn-age on my behalf..

Perhaps I am just a broke, whiner, but ffs I am personally not pouring hundreds of dollars to try and play catch up to a dominant PC economy.

Please HEX, create a somewhat more fair matching system.
    • hex cant fix the low population, u either play vs cosmic or u will wait ages for an ok pairing, both sucks thats for sure, but noone is able to change this short term.
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Cernz wrote:

hex cant fix the low population, u either play vs cosmic or u will wait ages for an ok pairing, both sucks thats for sure, but noone is able to change this short term.
      I would not mind a setting that you can tick between "wait less" vs "ok pairing". I really don't want to play against lower ranked player, no matter how long I would wait.

Edit: And just so there are no angle shooting, my reason is that I just don't find them fair nor entertaining. And when I am testing decks on the ladder I would prefer to be matched up against better decks.
    • problem i see with the selectable option of which you would prefer...

Cosmic player searching for any opponent, he started queuing first

The second person queued is silver, with "ok pairing" selected.

3rd guy enters queue with "any opponent " selected. He's in silver also, and the cosmic player has been queued for over 2 minutes at this time, who does the game pair up the 3rd player with and is it fair to neglect the other player?
    • There is an important thing about Hex that doesn't translate from a lot of other digital card games -

The rankings are not "player skill" or even "deck quality" measurements. The base purpose of the ladder is to reward people for playing Hex. It is very possible to get into cosmic with a fairly low win rate if you are playing enough (if I recall correctly when someone did the math it was just under a 40% win rate with enough matches played - I don't have a link off hand though, so don't quote me on that).

Sure - if you are winning more - you will climb faster - but just saying Cosmic = Better because you are a lower rank isn't true like Legendary means in Hearthstone for instance. I know multiple people that are into cosmic this season with the $15 budget deck.
    • I guess my demise over the past two days just means my cards selection suck.. I dunno as stated before, I can be competitive with most PS4 players. Most of you PC players hitting cosmic have accumulated currency in the game storing it up making your search for decks more easily attainable. We PS4 players have a small amount of time invested into this game compared to the one, two, and three year veterans; especially when you see screenshots of PC people showing off on PS4 communities with 10,000P and 1.5 mill gold... not saying its the norm but I am sure most of you with over a year have a fair amount of gold stocked up...

I dunno, a separate ladder would be good. I do not think the player base is that small that a separation of low level players would affect the level of enjoyment. It cant be fun to play 8 cards and win against somebody you know has no where near the selection you have in your database...

Clubbing seals on the ice might be fun for a minute, but after walking in the blood and smelling death for a day doesn't it start to wear on you?
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

problem i see with the selectable option of which you would prefer...

Cosmic player searching for any opponent, he started queuing first

The second person queued is silver, with "ok pairing" selected.

3rd guy enters queue with "any opponent " selected. He's in silver also, and the cosmic player has been queued for over 2 minutes at this time, who does the game pair up the 3rd player with and is it fair to neglect the other player?
      Depends on the algorithm. Pairing with either of those are fine. It's just part of the system. There will always be leftovers anyway. Even in today's system, there will be "3 players in queue and one left out" situation -- the point of my proposal system is to pair up the two players better. Someone just has to be the third player in this kind of situation regardless of any system until a fourth player queues up, it's totally unavoidable.

JeffHoogland wrote:

There is an important thing about Hex that doesn't translate from a lot of other digital card games -

The rankings are not "player skill" or even "deck quality" measurements. The base purpose of the ladder is to reward people for playing Hex. It is very possible to get into cosmic with a fairly low win rate if you are playing enough (if I recall correctly when someone did the math it was just under a 40% win rate with enough matches played - I don't have a link off hand though, so don't quote me on that).

Sure - if you are winning more - you will climb faster - but just saying Cosmic = Better because you are a lower rank isn't true like Legendary means in Hearthstone for instance. I know multiple people that are into cosmic this season with the $15 budget deck.
      This is very true and personally, I really hate this setup. I have a very strict definition of ladder -- I expect it to be like other games and separate players by both skill and deck quality because that is ultimately what ladder is for, to me.

Anyway, the real problem here is new players aren't going to know that and that leaves a bad first impression to them. No new player is going to know this right away.

Psychosious wrote:

fair enough... Curious how much they have invested to get there???
      Not much, I have paired up with some Cosmic PS4 players and most of them run Ruby-based aggro deck that are cheap.
    • There is a reason why only a minority of PS4 players will spend on the game, most of them will recognize it is an uneven economy and playing field with PC players having more content and trade options at their disposal. You actually get less value for every $1 you spend on PS4, if you spend at all.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Once there is some kind of link between pc and ps4 allowing for mails, you'll see that a large majority of those pc players " showing of " are always ready to send spares and advice to all and any new player coming to Hex.

There are veterans, but pc players begining the game don't have it much easier than ps 4 players, they get trashed too and need to grind or buy in too to be competitive.

The big difference is they can receive instant community back up and feed back, asking in the general game chat, sending/ receiving mails.

I really hope Hexent works this interplatform mail thing out quickly. Ps4 players are kinda missing on the awsome aspects of the Hex community until then.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • This is one of the biggest things keeping me from getting involved with constructed.

I was thinking about building that candle deck Jeff showed off(since I have almost all of the pieces), but then I realized that without real matchmaking I'd likely get matched against people who are so far above my skill that it just wouldn't be fun.

And I decided to wait... maybe someday.

(Note: I play mostly on PC - this isn't just a PS4 problem)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I think this might be solved by replacing the unranked queue with a rock queue. Gives a good entry point for new players and caps the value of a deck so people can feel they have the ability to compete on an even playing field without spending a ton of money up front.
    • GobBluth wrote:

I think this might be solved by replacing the unranked queue with a rock queue. Gives a good entry point for new players and caps the value of a deck so people can feel they have the ability to compete on an even playing field without spending a ton of money up front.
      1- Then you are emptying the low population of the ladder. So no one will go climbing there
      2- Rock players does not = new player.. they can still get smashed hard by experienced players
    • I will agree with the mailing idea. A mailing system would be great for communication purposes, and a fair trade here in there for us broke ass PS4 players. I am sure the players are not bad people beating us Ps4 players down. They are just trying to enjoy the game as well.

It is a definitely a fun game to grind away the hours with... I'm not giving up yet, just getting frustrated taking face smashes all day from elite level decks, 5 shard destruction eats away at your mojo.
    • Portensio wrote:

GobBluth wrote:

I think this might be solved by replacing the unranked queue with a rock queue. Gives a good entry point for new players and caps the value of a deck so people can feel they have the ability to compete on an even playing field without spending a ton of money up front.
      1- Then you are emptying the low population of the ladder. So no one will go climbing there2- Rock players does not = new player.. they can still get smashed hard by experienced players
      I'm long past accepting the "we have a small player base so we have to funnel everyone into these two or thee game modes" excuse. At a certain point you have to give people options and hope it increases the player base as a whole to support it. Yes the Venn diagram of constructed players and rock players would overlap but there would still be a population of players who would be rock players but aren't standard constructed players.

Also, new players would still get crushed cause they don't know how to play their decks. But that's a much easier fix for them than just not having the expensive cards. They can spend a little bit of money to buy a rock deck then learn to play better.

Edit: would probably be good if candles wasn't so dominant and the meta was more interesting for a rock queue to be effective.
    • Goliathus wrote:

This is very true and personally, I really hate this setup. I have a very strict definition of ladder -- I expect it to be like other games and separate players by both skill and deck quality because that is ultimately what ladder is for, to me.
      Honestly you could probably solve it by just getting rid of the plinths. While they serve for some recognition, I think the reality is they just generate feel bads a lot of the time when they don't need to.

Same thing with the PS4 control icons by player names. Can't tell you the number of times I see "lol poor ps4 player" in a chat. There is no reason to let people be singled out by platform. We are all Hex players.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JeffHoogland: a word ().