PS4 players getting beatdown by Cosmic ranked God's!!!

    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

      Yeah god knows how bad it is for "feel bads", God forbid we hurt someones feeling by being a high rank. Better yet lets just get rid of ranks completely, that way we are safe of hurting anyones feelings ever
      It isn't about hurting feeling. It is about removing something that literally adds very little value to the game, while being something that people complain about.

      Like this entire thread is based on the premise that cosmic = better player than gold so it is unfair to pair them.

      Is it sudden "fair" to pair those same two players when a new season starts?

      It is all psychological. The ranking gives no indication of playskill or power level of the deck you have with way it exists in Hex. As I said before it is just a metric for rewarding players for playing Hex.
    • i agree that they aren't a resemblance of skill which is more reason its silly to remove it. Maybe some people like facing less established players, but i like knowing I'm facing an established player, winning feels better that way, without the plinth unless you know the name you have no idea if you are playing a experienced player or not

      And until ps4 gets a mail system removing the controller icon is a bad idea, people might try mailing stuff to them as a nice gesture and those cards would be lost in limbo
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

      i agree that they aren't a resemblance of skill which is more reason its silly to remove it. Maybe some people like facing less established players, but i like knowing I'm facing an established player, winning feels better that way, without the plinth unless you know the name you have no idea if you are playing a experienced player or not
      I like how your first post is that we shouldn't make a change because of how someone feels, but your argument is that it makes you feel good as the reason to keep it.


      TheBlackCrypt wrote:

      Putting minnows and sharks all in the same fishbowl probably isn't best the way to retain new players, it's not rocket science really.
      I agree. I am just pointing out that being in cosmic does not mean you are a shark and being a lower rank because you haven't played recently or the season just start doesn't mean you are a minnow.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

      TheBlackCrypt wrote:

      Putting minnows and sharks all in the same fishbowl probably isn't best the way to retain new players, it's not rocket science really.
      I agree. I am just pointing out that being in cosmic does not mean you are a shark and being a lower rank because you haven't played recently or the season just start doesn't mean you are a minnow.
      You are quite right, the point I am trying to make is that putting a new player fresh off the boat into the ring with a seasoned pro is going to result in some portion of those players just giving up and moving on which really isn't ideal if the idea is retention. Are the dueling pits too brief of a new player experience or is it a case of some new players trying to run before they can crawl?
    • Maybe HXE has decided they want people with experience in card games that are aware of the fact that lower end decks have a harder time climbing (though not impossible) and know their and their decks' limits. And have the capital to spend if they want to go the extra mile.

      'cause really, this is all a matter of "Why do I have to try hard to achieve something" that is most common to younger inexperienced players, or bad-mannered (I'm looking at the dictionary for the proper word, it shows "pampered", I hope it's the correct one) older players.
    • If there's a way to "filter" the match pairing system, I'll be the first one to support that. But Jeff is right, a cosmic or a silver player means nothing by itself, especially in a tcg, so its hard to create a fair system.

      This is my own take on this: dont feel frustrated when you lose. It only matters if you want to climb to top 64. And if you want to climb to top 64, you're already a competitive player getting used to the system. If you lose, it doesnt affect your situation in nothing except in losing one star, which in the long term is nothing.

      I know it can be a pain in the ass to lose against a t1 deck when you feel your deck is in an unfair position. It is NOT a fun experience, but a T1 deck can appear in bronze too. Just play the match or concede and look for a new opponent. Dont get stressed over a match when losing it means almost nothing.

      Enjoy the experience of building a deck, learning the cards and which cards can be added or not. The rest is optional.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

      If there's a way to "filter" the match pairing system, I'll be the first one to support that. But Jeff is right, a cosmic or a silver player means nothing by itself, especially in a tcg, so its hard to create a fair system.

      This is my own take on this: dont feel frustrated when you lose. It only matters if you want to climb to top 64. And if you want to climb to top 64, you're already a competitive player getting used to the system. If you lose, it doesnt affect your situation in nothing except in losing one star, which in the long term is nothing.

      I know it can be a pain in the ass to lose against a t1 deck when you feel your deck is in an unfair position. It is NOT a fun experience, but a T1 deck can appear in bronze too. Just play the match or concede and look for a new opponent. Dont get stressed over a match when losing it means almost nothing.

      Enjoy the experience of building a deck, learning the cards and which cards can be added or not. The rest is optional.
      The big problem with this is many players that play in the ladder are there (solely?) for the rewards as it's the only way to increase the value of their collection and/or make a stronger deck, not to play the game for the love of playing the game...is this a fair statement? If so then it's taking the newbie with a starter deck 10x as long to realize the same rewards that the t1 deck owner can get in hours. Outside of this it's just not fun to lose 9/10 games which if that's why the player is there defeats the purpose also.
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

      i agree that they aren't a resemblance of skill which is more reason its silly to remove it. Maybe some people like facing less established players, but i like knowing I'm facing an established player, winning feels better that way, without the plinth unless you know the name you have no idea if you are playing a experienced player or not
      You can tell by how they play, can't you? For instance I can easily distinguish a D/S control who just foolishly counter everything I throw at him(like Demented Ascension on turn 2 with no card milled yet, why counter that? -- And yes, that player is Cosmic) and another better D/S control who understand what to counter and what not to, and how he plays the field, when to throw down Dark Heart and so on, it's not hard to see if someone is good or bad ignoring the visual cue.
    • Psychosious wrote:

      I will agree with the mailing idea. A mailing system would be great for communication purposes, and a fair trade here in there for us broke ass PS4 players. I am sure the players are not bad people beating us Ps4 players down. They are just trying to enjoy the game as well.

      It is a definitely a fun game to grind away the hours with... I'm not giving up yet, just getting frustrated taking face smashes all day from elite level decks, 5 shard destruction eats away at your mojo.
      Hey Psychosious. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to come here and share your thoughts and frustrations (I know it's even more difficult for you PS4 guys to participate on the forums, since the PS4 download page doesn't even tell you they exist).

      I definitely feel your frustration. Personally, I built a rock deck (no rares or legendaries) to level up in the ladder this season, to see what it might be like for a relatively new PS4 player. I'm currently Plat 4, and while progress is possible, getting blown out repeatedly by money decks can definitely put you on tilt pretty quickly (especially if you are unlucky enough to get several in a row over the course of a day or two). It is totally feel bad, and I wish there was a good fix for this that wouldn't let people game the system in other ways. Skill based and especially deck quality based valuations are hard to program and police (and people could find ways to exploit "bad" decks just to force matchups versus a certain type of player and still stomp them around). Hex's match system is pretty simplistic, and I'd love to see it improved at least a little, but it also focuses on getting people into matches as quickly as possible, so that's part of why it will match players up or down after a short time if they don't have someone of their exact level on the ladder to play against. There are pros and cons to changing that system, obviously. Hex is a small game right now, and we've spent a lot of years dealing with slow queue times, so having queues that fire often and without long delays is very very nice to have (for everyone).

      As to your comment on mailing, I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but it IS a planned feature for the PS4. Mailing and direct trading (through mail) were always supposed to be a feature of the console client, but Sony wouldn't let the mail function past cert in a timely fashion (presumably they wanted a bunch of backend stuff changed that HexEnt couldn't do in time for the release). It's absolutely going to be added into the game as soon as they're able to get the development work done, so that should make the burden of moving cards around and trading with other players much less onerous when it's done.

      I hope you stick around and keep playing. Hex really is a fantastic game and although we're a small community, we're very passionate, and so are the devs. Development may not go as fast as we'd all like it to, but when HexEnt delivers, it's always worth it. Hang in there - and do give some of the limited tournaments a try, too... they're a lot of fun if you have the time, and are another way for you to build your collection up without dropping tons of plat on specific cards from the AH.

      Thanks again for letting the community and devs know what's on your mind. :)
      --ossuary

      "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • I support removing the plinths. I do not think they bring anything relevant to the game, and we already have sleeves for peacocking. In contrast, I can see them creating negative feelings in some situations. Same goes for the PS4 controller icons. Why do we need to see them again?
    • ReluxTheRelux wrote:

      Ertzi wrote:

      Same goes for the PS4 controller icons. Why do we need to see them again
      I think is there so that we don't try to talk to them and/or send them thing trhough the e-mail
      This is a valid concern. I have seen some players get very pissed just because their opponents did not respond.

      Edit: It's removable though as soon as mails are implemented in all the clients.
    • Ertzi wrote:

      I support removing the plinths. I do not think they bring anything relevant to the game, and we already have sleeves for peacocking.
      I respectfully disagree for one reason: As you mentioned, we've already got sleeves. When there's both a sleeve and a plinth for the opponent to look at and try to judge your skill level before the game starts, they look at plinths. If you remove it, the only thing that happens is that the focus will move to looking at the sleeve. Most people don't know how easy / hard it is to get each sleeve. And it will lead to cases where a Silver or Gold player (i.e. a very mediocre / bad player) running an expensive deck and having any kind of sleeve will cause the ignorant opponent to make a thread about how he was beaten by a "whale". As sleeves are far more numerous that plinths (and everyone knows that for a certain mentality "skins = skills"), people will feel that everyone with a sleeve is higher skilled or at least have spent a ton more in the game than themselves.

      TL;DR There are more mediocre / bad players with expensive sleeves, expensive decks and low rank plinths than there are good players with high rank plinths - if you remove plinths, ignorant players (majority) will judge someone's "rank" from the sleeve he wears and the cost of their deck which, based on the first point, will lead to MORE feelbad moments.
    • Goliathus wrote:

      ReluxTheRelux wrote:

      Ertzi wrote:

      Same goes for the PS4 controller icons. Why do we need to see them again
      I think is there so that we don't try to talk to them and/or send them thing trhough the e-mail
      This is a valid concern. I have seen some players get very pissed just because their opponents did not respond.
      Edit: It's removable though as soon as mails are implemented in all the clients.
      That's fair. I didn't think about that. I always want to give advice to the console players though (if they are clearly inexperienced), which makes it all the more excruciating to see that icon. :D