Mechanics Question

• Mechanics Question

So I came up with a weird scenario, and I was curious how it would play out.

Portalscape creates a rare portal, and has escalation.

So here's a four part situation.

I have two Portalscapes in hand.

I play the first Portalscape, create another Portalscape. I then play the other Portalscape(what is created here is irrelevant). Then I wait a turn, and the created Portalscape transforms into an Enter the Ring. Then I wait another turn, and it transforms into an action without Escalate. Then I wait 1 more turn and it transforms back into Portalscape.

My questions:
      1) At the end of the first turn, is the created Portalscape escalated once or twice?

My guess + logic: It will be escalated twice because the portal should be created before the escalate's 'put into deck and increase the effect of all similar cards' happens, thus the first portalscape should trigger the escalation of the created portalscape as well.

2) When it transforms into 'Enter the Ring', is the 'Enter the Ring' at base value, or does the 'escalate' carry over with the card?
      3) When it subsequently transforms into a non-escalate action, does it have any extra text on it?

On these questions I am unsure because it depends on how 'Escalate' is templated on the server side.
      a) Is there simply an 'Escalate 1' keyword that gets applied, hidden in the background, to any card that is supposed to be escalated?
      b) Does it add the rules text again and just combine it on the visible card?
      c) Or is there a defined 'Escalate 1 Portalscape' effect that gets added behind the scenes?

If a is the case, then the Enter the Ring should be escalated twice as well. If b is the case, then both the Enter the Ring and the non-escalate action should have 'Create 2 rare portals' added to them as additional rules text. If c is the case, which I think is probably most likely, than neither Enter the Ring nor the non-escalate action will have any changed effects.

And finally...

4) When it transforms back into Portalscape, is it still escalated?

I think it should, because action->action transformations don't typically revert by my understanding.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • 1) I think once but I'm not sure. I think the original portalscape has fully resolved once the portal is made. I may be wrong though.

2) It's at base value. Portal reverts the card at the start of every turn into the portal then makes the portal a new card

3) Nope (except portal obviously)

4) Nope for the same reason as 2.

The idea of you put for A, B and C. I have no idea. I'm not sure if there's a card that transforms actions in your hand without reverting that also could make it an escalation though.
    • Reeplay wrote:

Portal reverts the card at the start of every turn into the portal then makes the portal a new card
      Does it? Oh interesting. I didn't realize it reverted. I've never modified a portal card to test this...

I know that when a troop changes into an action, it reverts... so that part would happen, but I didn't think the action->action would.

The description during the mechanics reveal just said "At the start of each of your turns, portals in your hand transform into a random card of the same rarity that you have the thresholds to play."

I might have to test that. Portal + first rites should make the test fairly easy...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

Reeplay wrote:

Portal reverts the card at the start of every turn into the portal then makes the portal a new card
      Does it? Oh interesting. I didn't realize it reverted. I've never modified a portal card to test this...
      I know that when a troop changes into an action, it reverts... so that part would happen, but I didn't think the action->action would.

The description during the mechanics reveal just said "At the start of each of your turns, portals in your hand transform into a random card of the same rarity that you have the thresholds to play."

I might have to test that. Portal + first rites should make the test fairly easy...
      It's the in game description for Portal. I'm doing the keywords page right now and just happened to be on portal when you posted so it's how I noticed.
      The full thing reads
      "At the start of your turn, if this is in your hand, it reverts and transforms it into a random card of the same rarity and of your thresholds."
    • This is interesting, because we know that an action transforming into an action does not cause a reversion, but we don't know whether or not cards remember their numbers ticking up when they cease to be that card anymore. It's a mechanic that was developed after the changes to transform back at the end of 2014 (article here). While it's true that the actions are not reverted, and we know from other past cards that certain relationships are remembered (like master and pet), we don't specifically know if a card remembers whether or not its self-contained abilities to "tick up" are retained when it changes into another card, even if a revert doesn't happen. I think this would have to be tested to find out for sure.

My expectation is that when a card transforms into another card, it is transforming into a base version of that card, then having any appropriate modifiers that have occurred moved over onto the new card as well. Non-universal things like escalation count, assault triggers on cards like Waylay, or damage tick-ups on cards like Flame Barrage are likely not retained between transformations even if you eventually transform back into the same card again, while things like stat changes, cost reduction, and so forth WOULD be retained. I don't know that for sure though - that's just my assumption based on what I have seen of the game engine.

Like I said, it would require actual dedicated testing ( @Showsni? ;) ), or a dev to chime in and give a definitive answer. I'd definitely be interested to know the answer - it's a pretty obscure line of play that is unlikely to occur very often, if ever, but knowing what would happen in advance could someday mean the difference between winning and losing.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Aye, I agree. Especialyl if further action transformation effects get added, now that we have multiple escalation cards in each shard.

It sounds like Reeplay has solved this specific situation via the in-game description of portal, which states that it DOES revert the card each time... so at least we know this case. But it is still an interesting line of thought as far as how escalate/assault actually works.