Winner is the Judge: Nov 29 - Dec 7

• Winner is the Judge: Nov 29 - Dec 7

The Rules:
      Design cards that meet the design constraints listed below. The entry I like best wins the competition, and there are runner-up prizes as well. Multiple entries are allowed, but please don't flood the contest, and multiple prizes can't be won by the same person.

In addition to the listed prize, the first place winner gets to host the next contest, and they get to set their own design constraint and award prizes of their own choosing!

Design Constraint:
      Ever since the Drokka hit the playing field, I've been quite enamoured with them. Their designs interest me, and so does their lore. For those who don't know, the Drokka are a neutral faction of woodland dwellers. Bizarre, spindly creatures with what looks like a skull on their head.

I wrote a short little bit of fanfic in relation to it, in which I hinted at a Drokkan revolt against their opressors, both the Ardent and the Underworld: Nettlemoss' Enclave, a neutral faction consisting of Drokka and other unaffiliated races, and defectors from both Ardent and Underworld. So, my design constraint is going to apply to this as well!

The challenge for this week is: Design a card or cards that fit Nettlemoss' Enclave.

Think of effects based on the number of different races under your control, Alliance effects, and, in line with the core mechanism of the Drokka themselves, conscript effects.

Judging Criteria:
      • Mechanical Appeal: How much fun do I think I could have with a card like this? Is it mechanically interesting?
      • Thematic Appeal: How 'cool' is the concept? Did you come up with a good name? Add some flavour text, for bonus points!
      • Creativity: Sure, while "Ardent allegiance, +1/+1 , Underworld allegiance +1/+1" fits the theme, it's not exactly a magnum opus. Don't be afraid to go big!
      Try to stick as close to HEX' in-game terminology as you can! It tends to help convey your ideas very accurately!

Rewards:

1st Place: 1x Dead of Winter pack, 1x Scars of War pack, Nettlemoss mercenary, 2x Sacred Stance

2nd Place: 1x Dead of Winter pack, Nettlemoss mercenary

3rd Place: 1x Dead of Winter pack

Deadline is Dec 7th - 7PM GMT. Good luck everyone!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Firellius ().

• Well, here goes the neighborhood everything.

Sacrifice of Identity
      [WILD] 1
      Quick Action
      Revert target [UNDERWORLD] or [ARDENT] troop, then it loses [UNDERWORLD] or [ARDENT] .
      Those seeking to join Nettlemoss Enclave must renounce all other affiliations.

Nettlemoss Initiation
      [WILD] 2
      Action
      Gain control of target non- [UNDERWORLD] , non- [ARDENT] troop.
      Do you swear to never again be swayed by the arguments of those who would control you for their own ends?

Drokkatar's Wrath
      Action
      Opposing and troops get -2 and .
      Pushed beyond fear, beyond preservation, the Nettlemoss Enclave struck back with fury that terrified their would-be oppressors.

Drokkatar's Vengeance
      [WILD] [WILD] 5
      Constant
      Opposing troops get -2 [ATTACK] /-2 [DEFENSE] at the start of their controller's turn.
      Those opposing the Nettlemoss Enclave found that the land itself rose up against them.

Drokkatar's Fury
      [WILD] [WILD] 5
      Constant
      Non- [UNDERWORLD] , non- [ARDENT] troops that you control get +2 [ATTACK] /+2 [DEFENSE] at the start of your turn.
      Those fighting with nothing left to lose find themselves gaining.

♩So you want to build a faction?♫
      Also, this is all one entry(ish), because I love the idea of an unaffiliated faction made up of deserters and pariahs, as well as those that refuse to be pushed around any longer.
      (I also couldn't figure out a way to exclude Nulzann's clockworks, the Pack, Blightbark, etc. If someone else has a way to do so, I'd love to see it.)
    • Slumbering Drokkatar
      3 [WILD] [WILD]
      Legendary Constant
      Troops that are conscripted lose [UNDERWORLD] and [ARDENT] .
      When you conscript, add a Nettle counter to Slumbering Drokkatar. Then the conscripted troop randomly gets +1 [ATTACK] or +1 [DEFENSE] for each Nettle counter on Slumbering Drokkatar.
      At end of turn: If Slumbering Drokkatar has 10 or more Nettle counters on it, transform it into Woken Drokkatar.
      The Drokkatar's power oversees the Enclave even while he sleeps. Should the need arise, his ire can always be roused.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

• Eraia wrote:

Slumbering Drokkatar
      3 [WILD] [WILD]
      Legendary Constant
      Troops that are conscripted lose [UNDERWORLD] and [ARDENT] .
      When you conscript, add a Nettle counter to Slumbering Drokkatar. Then the conscripted troop randomly gets +1 [ATTACK] or +1 [DEFENSE] for each Nettle counter on Slumbering Drokkatar.
      At end of turn: If Slumbering Drokkatar has 10 or more Nettle counters on it, transform it into Woken Drokkatar.
      The Drokkatar's power oversees the Enclance even while he sleeps. Should the need arise, his ire can always be roused.
      Darn it Eraia, I like this better than mine.
    • It's interesting that each race has its mortal enemy in the same shards. It really makes it easy to make a pseudo-cycle of dual-race cards of opposing races that are joining together in the Nettlemoss' enclave.

Bond of Blood
      Basic Action

Conscript an Orc or Vennen troop.
      Orc Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets Rage 2.
      Vennen Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets Unblockable.

In the Nettlemoss' Enclave, blood oaths and fanaticism lost meaning compared to the greater anger against a never ending vendetta.
      Bond of Passion
      Basic Action

Conscript an Elf or Dwarf troop.
      Elf Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets "This deals double damage."
      Dwarf Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets "Deploy - Deal 2 damage to target champion or troop."

Both elves that saw the majesty of flames and dwarves that saw the beauty of fire found freedom and self expression in the Nettlemoss' Enclave.
      Bond of Solidarity
      Basic Action

Conscript a Human or Necrotic troop.
      Human Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets +2 [DEFENSE] and Steadfast.
      Necrotic Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets +2 [ATTACK] and Swiftstrike.

No more edicts. No more chants. We are joined together in the Nettlemoss' Enclave.
      Bond of Savagery
      Basic Action

Conscript a Shin'hare or Coyotle troop.
      Shin'hare Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets +X/+X where X is equal to the number of troops you control.
      Coyotle Allegiance: The conscripted troop gets "Prophecy Deploy - The next troop in your deck gets +X/+X, where X is this troops power."

Though from different walks of life, both Shin'hare and Coyotle shared renewed strength in the Nettlemoss' Enclave.
    • Neutral Alliance
      3 [WILD]
      rare
      Constant
      When you play a neutral troop, conscript a random troop.
      "Many neutral race have been drag into this senseless war, Drokka are not alone"

--------------------------------------------------------

Drokka Shaman
      2 [WILD]
      rare
      1 [ATTACK]
      1 [DEFENSE]
      When you gain resource this turn, you may [EXHAUST] Conscript a random Drokka troop
      "The god have bless us with new born to protect our land"

Drokka Champion
      4 [WILD]
      4 [ATTACK]
      4 [DEFENSE]
      rare
      When you conscript, all troop you control gain +2 [ATTACK] and [CRUSH] this turn
      "The champion lead the warrior to battle"

Drokka Scout
      1 [WILD]
      1 [ATTACK]
      1 [DEFENSE]
      Uncommon
      [LETHAL] [RAGE] 1
      When you conscript, Drokka scout gain [SWIFTSTRIKE] and [STEADFAST] this turn.
      "They travel swiftly in forest and strike with poisoned dart"

Drokka Wise women
      3 [WILD]
      2 [ATTACK]
      4 [DEFENSE]
      rare
      When you conscript, [BASIC] 2 [EXHAUST] add a stealth counter to yourself.
      "The wise women foreseen dangers and lead the tribe to safety"

Drokka Matriarch
      5 [WILD]
      7 [ATTACK]
      7 [DEFENSE]
      Legendary
      When you conscript, all Drokka in play under your control gain a random boon
      "New recruit always boost their moral"

Drokka's prayer
      constant
      rare
      When you conscript add a counter to this. At the end of your turn if this have 10 or more counter. void it, and destroy all enemy [UNDERWORLD] [ARDENT] troop.
      "Get off my lawn"

Drokka's call

5 [WILD]
      action
      rare
      play the top 1 card of opponent's deck for free.
      Escalation
      "Come join us, it is time to end this war"

Neutral Recruiter
      0 [ATTACK]
      5 [DEFENSE]
      [DEFENSIVE] [SKYGUARD]
      uncommon
      all neutral troop in your hand have cost -1
      "We came in peace"

Drokka Farmer
      3 [WILD]
      1 [ATTACK]
      1 [DEFENSE]
      uncommon
      When an [UNDERWORLD] or [ARDENT] troop enter play under enemy control. create a Carloth Grain and put it in your hand.
      "Threaten by the ever growing enemy force, the drokka farmer work hard to feed the tribe and their ally"

Whisper of peace
      3 [BLOOD]
      action
      Destroy target [UNDERWORLD] [ARDENT] troop, or gain control of target neutral troop.
      "It is time to end this"

The post was edited 2 times, last by Qiemosi ().

• Have you even stopped to consider why you pursue me so doggedly? My Valour in defence of the Kingdom is well known to you; never would I raise my sword against the Ardent. So in the face of real, terroristic deserters, why the vim in chasing me down?

Ah, no, of course you could never answer that. Lie to me if you must, old friend, but accept for yourself that your handler prioritizes me because the truth of my protest threatens your precious Ardent more than any army.

Do you not see how this goes to the heart of everything that is wrong with the Alliance? If it is so idyllic, then why is the penalty for leaving death? If you truly fight for freedom, why are townspeople Conscripted at the point of a sword? If you seek peace and friendship with other societies, why do you now court the neutral Drokka for the sole purpose of dragging them into your war?

Really, "Justicar", is this your idea of justice?

When I think of the Drokka, I think of Conscript and everything that bothers me about the Ardent (whereas it totally fits within the Underworld playbook). So, here we have a Valorous hero of the Kingdom who's realized the Ardent's hypocrisy and abandoned the war for the seclusion of Nettlemoss's enclave, as well as his former comrade, a Justicar who relentlessly pursues his old friend.

Lord Eddington the Deserter
      3 [DIAMOND]
      Rare, Unique Troop - Human Warrior
      Valorous, [LIFEDRAIN] [DEFENSIVE]
      Whenever a player Conscripts, gain control of target [ARDENT] troop unless that troop's controller sacrifices a troop at random.
      2/5
      If you truly fight for freedom, then why are townspeople Conscripted at the point of a sword... Really, "Justicar", is this your idea of justice?

Justicar Dorion
      3 [DIAMOND] [DIAMOND]
      [ARDENT] Rare, Unique Troop - Human Warrior
      Valorous, [SWIFTSTRIKE]
      Deploy: Conscript an with cost 1.
      Whenever you would conscript an [ARDENT] troop, you may instead give a random opposing troop with an Ardent race [CANTATTACK] [CANTBLOCK] and create a Valor.
      3/1
      Had you not sworn an oath to defend the kingdom, you'd be free to live in the trees with savages all you like. Alas, you have broken that vow, so honour demands that I bring you to justice.

In true renegade fashion, Eddington's ability encourages you to try turning your opponent's lesser troops, forcing them to let you have it or risk having to sacrifice a stronger target.

The post was edited 3 times, last by GeneralVeers ().

• invinible wrote:

So any other races in the Nettlemoss' Enclave?

Your fanfic makes it as clear as mud about what is going on here.
      I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but basically, Nettlemoss' Enclave welcomes defectors from Ardent and Underworld, as well as any of unaffiliated races (Gnolls, Loregoyle, etc.) who want to steer clear of the war.
    • Duro, Resistance Fighter
      4 [SAPPHIRE]
      Unique [UNDERWORLD] Troop - Vennen Ranger
      1/2
      [UNDERWORLD] troops you control get +1 [ATTACK] / +1 [DEFENSE] for each non- [UNDERWORLD] troop you control.
      "We're gonna make it happen. You, me, and that crooky Drokka!" -Gaol

Five-Legged Gaol
      5 [SAPPHIRE]
      Unique [UNDERWORLD] Troop - Vennen Warrior
      5/5
      Deathcry - Goal gets -1 [ATTACK] / -1 [DEFENSE] , then return Gaol to your hand.
      "It's my fault you ended up like..." -Duro

I decided to go a little more literal. Here's my stab at the brothers themselves.
    • Name: Gogether Loregoyle
      Cost: 3
      Threshold Requirement: [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE]
      Type: Troop - Gargoyle
      Faction: Nettlemoss' Enclave
      Rarity: Rare
      Ability: Nettlemoss' Enclave Allegiance Deploy: Create a Tome of Lore and put it in your deck.
      4 /4
      Favor Text: Here is the book you were looking for - Gogether Loregoyle

The post was edited 1 time, last by invinible ().

• Firellius wrote:

Sorry, this was my mistake. For some reason, I had it in my head that this one ran until the 9th. I'll get around to judging in a moment.
      No worries at all! Took me a while, just thought a gentle joking reminder was in order :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • It's so difficult to decide! There's a lot of great entries, and I had to keep narrowing it down further and further and every time it was pretty damn agonising...

BUT!

I am going to go with this.

---

In third place: Drokkatar's Wrath, by @Zyblen! I like the inclusion of the god of the Drokka, and the terror he would strike into opposing armies is well represented with the action. I like the design, and the 'this cannot defend' effect is a pretty unique twist, too!

---

In second place: The bonds, by @Arcanyx! A very solid design revolving around completing a 'collection' of all four main races. It nails the idea that the races and their respective counterparts from the other factions are brought together and become stronger by moving past their mistrust and vendettas. This gives them great flavour, and their mechanical aspects are very promising as well!

---

And this week's grand prize winner is...

Eddington the Deserter, by @GeneralVeers! The flavour text and mechanical design both tell a story, neatly tied together. Eddington's tirade against the tyrannical Ardent faction leaders inspires others to follow his lead, putting the Ardent commanders in a difficult position: Allow desertion, or execute those who would even think of it, thereby proving Lord Eddington entirely right? This is a really well done design, with the mechanical aspect serving the thematic aspect in splendid fashion!

---

Congratulations to you three, thanks to everyone for playing, and @GeneralVeers, you're free to set up the next contest when ready!

Prizes will be mailed out shortly. I am assuming that everyone's IGN is the same as their forum name.

EDIT: Prizes have been sent out, though there was a weird visual glitch when I sent out the rewards for first place. Let me know if everything came through all right!