Looking for a PVE product to buy

• SaintVicarious wrote:

I agree save for one thing:

Selling Adventure Zones. I don't believe it would be an issue, after a certain "base threshold" has been met. I think after Adventure Zone 3, they'll have been fair with giving away free PvE content. After that, either charge for expansions (New whole Adventure Zones) or charge for different side-experiences (An especially long dungeon with unique rewards).

I'm more than happy to give my money for actual single-player content; I am not willing to give it away for small things I'll forget about in no time.
      We haven't even gotten all the raids we were promised during the KS campaign.
      Let them live up all that, then we can talk about it.
    • Eraia wrote:

SaintVicarious wrote:

Selling Adventure Zones. I don't believe it would be an issue, after a certain "base threshold" has been met. I think after Adventure Zone 3, they'll have been fair with giving away free PvE content. After that, either charge for expansions (New whole Adventure Zones) or charge for different side-experiences (An especially long dungeon with unique rewards).

I'm more than happy to give my money for actual single-player content; I am not willing to give it away for small things I'll forget about in no time.
      As long as you can reach 'max level' and have the full talent tree and all initially expected classes without paying extra, I generally am not THAT bothered by the concept of buying new zones, but if the zones are paid they'd better be exceptional.
      Hex finally introduces co-op.
      Each of your friends need to buy the "Raid dungeon" independently in order to play together.

Let's avoid that, shall we?
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

as long as the free content includes raids (not all raids, but several at least) as well then I am 100% all for this. I would not mind paying for more content as long as the cost is around $5-$15 (depending on size)
    • AZ1 and AZ2 are quite ok so far, another AZ3 most likely wont bring in a lot of new players anyway since they first have to finish AZ1 and 2.

If they want to keep the PVE stuff going, they need to add consumable PVE content for all players (new and existing) as standalone PVE content beside AZ1 and 2.

For example - single dungeons , mini maps, small isles / continents with a good story etc..

Maybe this will bring in some money from pve, but.... anyway pvp>pve ;)
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Cernz wrote:

AZ1 and AZ2 are quite ok so far, another AZ3 most likely wont bring in a lot of new players anyway since they first have to finish AZ1 and 2.

If they want to keep the PVE stuff going, they need to add consumable PVE content for all players (new and existing) as standalone PVE content beside AZ1 and 2.

For example - single dungeons , mini maps, small isles / continents with a good story etc..

Maybe this will bring in some money from pve, but.... anyway pvp>pve ;)
      I'm not sure that bringing in more players who have no interest in spending is going to make any difference. What we do know, is there's a decent chunk of people playing single player, and there's literally no reason for any of us to spend a dime at the moment. Monetize the single player, and not only will they still have the option to grow (As I'd personally argue that the one thing HEX has going for it over Hearthstone/Gwent/Legends/generic-card-game-434945964 is that it has a proper singleplayer), but they can start using PvE as an actual revenue source, rather than the annoying anchor they view it as now.

Also, @Eraia @Vroengard and @Needle I agree with you all: I'm not saying the solution is to give them a carte blanche to absolutely reem us, but I've never had a problem with throwing another $20 on Fallout or Dragon Age for more singleplayer experiences, and I won't have an issue here. I won't spend one red cent on cardpacks however, because they don't interest me in any capacity.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • Zurai wrote:

It does? Care to cite an example of a major MMO selling access to major multiplayer features piecemeal? WoW certainly doesn't, nor FF14, nor EVE.
      Not usually features, but content definitely.

Vroengard wrote:

Which MMO are you refering to? I'm not that big into MMO's, but I think I might've heard of content being paywalled. Is it some free-to-play MMO or something?
      They don't tend tos ell them individually, but you do require each expansion to access its raid content. My wife can't join me, for example, in the Deltascape because she doesn't yet own FFXIV's latest expansion. WE can play together in any non-expansion exclusive content, but she can't join me there until she buys the expansion.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

but you do require each expansion to access its raid content
      I'd say that's quite different because the expansion is not the raid only. Expansions come with overworld stuff, new items, new classes, higher level cap etc.

So we're back at the "Sell us AZ's" discussion. Which I'm not totally against, but only if it doesn't involve paywalled classes and levels. Having exclusive items (untradeable?), a couple questlines and *maybe* a dungeon would be ok. Probably?
    • Vroengard wrote:

Eraia wrote:

but you do require each expansion to access its raid content
      I'd say that's quite different because the expansion is not the raid only. Expansions come with overworld stuff, new items, new classes, higher level cap etc.
      So we're back at the "Sell us AZ's" discussion. Which I'm not totally against, but only if it doesn't involve paywalled classes and levels. Having exclusive items (untradeable?), a couple questlines and *maybe* a dungeon would be ok. Probably?
      Can't see any reason at all to make them untradable.
      Are we talking Plat here or $?
    • Only reason to make them untradeable is for balance reasons. Or technical reasons Plus, if you make them untradeable, you're giving people one more incentive to buy (otherwise you could have a couple guys supply 10 or 20 more). There could be more reasons. I don't know, hence the "?".
    • Vroengard wrote:

So we're back at the "Sell us AZ's" discussion.
      Behold the majestic wonder of topic drift in it's natural habitat, the internet forum.

AZ and other consumable new content is something that will take them a large amount of engineering and testing work, and only really appeal to the veteran and entrenched PVE players. It has a smaller audience than PVE related platinum products, which would draw the dollars of new players as well as veterans and will take them a great deal more work than said pieces of not-cardboard. Furthermore, things like starter sets and good precon decks could greatly improve the new player experience as well as get new players used to spending platinum and possibly also help them learn to build and tune decks.

I'm not against eventually charging for new AZs and other veteran PVE content, but said content is really expensive to make in comparison, and even with most of the veterans kicking in a few bucks for it, no monetized AZ that they do with the player base they currently have(combined, let alone PVE) would probably even pay for itself even if there was a 100% buy rate. There's a reason why they're trying to expand the player base instead of work on PVE and it's not so they can abandon PVE for PVP.

The PVE audience contributes a large amount of money to the game, especially the veterans, but there's also a large segment of PVE players that have bought nothing, mostly because they have no reasonable product to buy. The secret to monetizing them isn't going to be charging them for new content they can't access until way later or trying to convert them to PVP, as the former kind of makes no sense and the later has already failed, and in hindsight was a bad idea really.
    • ShatteredGlass wrote:

AZ and other consumable new content is something that will take them a large amount of engineering and testing work, and only really appeal to the veteran and entrenched PVE players. It has a smaller audience than PVE related platinum products
      What the Hell does that mean? That PvE players don't play the Campaign? Are you saying that people prefer playing FRA to the Campaign? Because that's the only 2 PvE modes in the game. Why are you saying that PvE related platinum products have a different (larger) audience than Campaign content? Is it a typo? Did you mean to say "PvP related products" ?
    • There are plenty of easy and obvious ways to get money (extra lives and powers in FRA/dungeons, chest spins). The fact that they didn't try means either they can't be bothered, or they simply have no experience with PvE games outside of the one game they ever made in their entire lives.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Zurai wrote:

[citation needed]
      Nearly every MMO expansion in EVERY MMO ever has had content that you couldn't access unless you purchased that expansion.

That is just 100% pure fact. But since you seem unwilling to do any research yourself, I'll give you some examples.

You couldn't go to Outland or access any Outland raids or dungeons without buying TBC. You couldn't go to Ishgard or access any of the Ishgard raids or dungeons unless you bought Heavensward. You couldn't access Rohan without the Rohan expansion pack for LotRO. You couldn't access any of the Cataclysm raids unless you bought Cataclysm. You can't access any of the new dungeons or raids in FFXIV unless you buy Stormblood.

The list goes on. That is how they get you to buy expansions. They put CONTENT in those expansions. It's the general business model for most MMOs.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

Zurai wrote:

[citation needed]
      Nearly every MMO expansion in EVERY MMO ever has had content that you couldn't access unless you purchased that expansion.
      That is just 100% pure fact. But since you seem unwilling to do any research yourself, I'll give you some examples.

You couldn't go to Outland or access any Outland raids or dungeons without buying TBC. You couldn't go to Ishgard or access any of the Ishgard raids or dungeons unless you bought Heavensward. You couldn't access Rohan without the Rohan expansion pack for LotRO. You couldn't access any of the Cataclysm raids unless you bought Cataclysm. You can't access any of the new dungeons or raids in FFXIV unless you buy Stormblood.

The list goes on. That is how they get you to buy expansions. They put CONTENT in those expansions. It's the general business model for most MMOs.
      That isn't what was being talked about. The post was talking about selling individual dungeons. In MMOs, you buy an expansion pack which has a massive array of new features -- many new zones, increased level cap, dozens of new dungeons, new raids, new class abilities, new game features. You don't just buy a dungeon. You buy a massive bundle of features and content, and any additions to those are added for free.

I asked for a citation of MMOs selling content piecemeal, which was what was being suggested:

Vroengard wrote:

Hex finally introduces co-op.Each of your friends need to buy the "Raid dungeon" independently in order to play together.

Let's avoid that, shall we?

Not "Raid expansion". "Raid dungeon". Singular.

So, again, I must ask for a citation. Which successful, major MMO has sold content piecemeal?