Native Hex Client for Linux - Test Build

• Thank you very much for this. It's working great and I'm absolutely loving the game.
      It's so close to perfect it's hard to believe it is considered "unsupported" :D

EDIT: Are you guys OK with the community making this available for install through the AUR?
      The AUR is simply a repository of scripts that knows what files to download from where and what to do with them to make the application/game usable by the user.
      Check out the hex-linux-launcher for the unofficial builds!

The post was edited 1 time, last by noxcat ().

• Feel free to redist this however you think is most convenient to people. I'm not super hip on linux outside of knowing bash super well. Is there something I can setup to make knowing a new package is available automatic as opposed to forcing people to read the forums and wget stuff?

Chris Woods
    • Chris wrote:

Feel free to redist this however you think is most convenient to people. I'm not super hip on linux outside of knowing bash super well. Is there something I can setup to make knowing a new package is available automatic as opposed to forcing people to read the forums and wget stuff?

Chris Woods

Awesome.

Anything would be better than having to follow the forum - makes it hard to automate. May I suggest either a super simple webpage that only returns the currently available version number or the current md5sum of the .tar.gz? Either would make it significantly easier to automate packaging.
    • Started work on a python based launcher for the linux client. Almost ready for use. Will need a way to check what the latest linux version available is first.

Here is a preview:

Note: I will add clear copyright notes. All assets belong to Hex Entertainment.

EDIT: Code available at github.com/oleerik/hex-linux-launcher
      EDIT2: Changed preview. It's now up-to-date.

The post was edited 3 times, last by noxcat ().

• Ok I just download the game it's working _almost_ flawlessly. The only issue I seem to be having is that sometimes on the "Attack Phase", it gets stuck and no matter how many types I hit the spacebar it doesn't move to the next phase.

Googling showed this is an issue experienced by other people, so I don't think it's Linux related, but might as well report it here since it might be related.

Love the game thus far. Thanks for making a Linux build!!!
    • Ok I hit a snag now where I cannot play the game. I got stuck again at the "Attack Phase".. so I Alt+F4 and restarted. Then it presented a "Reconnect" dialog with "Cancel" and "Confirm" buttons but I cannot click them. I pretty much clicked all the buttons on my keyboard, tried to tab --> enter --> space ... no result. Actually enter opens the chat window, but I can't even read anything there.

So basically I'm stuck now and can't play the game :(

Btw, I have 3 monitors.. I think I saw the "Attack Phase" problem occurs when I Alt+Tabbed out of the game to check something and went back in. I played in Unity games before and never had a problem.. just with Hex.

EDIT: Ok, I resolved the issue by changing it to Windowed mode (in KDE this is done easily), then switched to full screen again. Whenever I see something get stuck (which doesn't happen unless I Alt+Tab elsewhere) I simply go to Windowed mode and back to fullscreen. But this is happening rarely now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fextina ().

• Fextina wrote:

Ok I hit a snag now where I cannot play the game. I got stuck again at the "Attack Phase".. so I Alt+F4 and restarted. Then it presented a "Reconnect" dialog with "Cancel" and "Confirm" buttons but I cannot click them. I pretty much clicked all the buttons on my keyboard, tried to tab --> enter --> space ... no result. Actually enter opens the chat window, but I can't even read anything there.

Btw, I have 3 monitors.. I think I saw the "Attack Phase" problem occurs when I Alt+Tabbed out of the game to check something and went back in. I played in Unity games before and never had a problem.. just with Hex.

EDIT: Ok, I resolved the issue by changing it to Windowed mode (in KDE this is done easily), then switched to full screen again. Whenever I see something get stuck (which doesn't happen unless I Alt+Tab elsewhere) I simply go to Windowed mode and back to fullscreen. But this is happening rarely now.
      If you read the first post here with the known issues we mention the game has a bug with the current build of unity and being full screen on Linux. Running it in Windowed mode you will not have any input issues.
    • noxcat wrote:

The python based patcher and launcher for Hex on Linux is now fully functional:

github.com/oleerik/hex-linux-launcher

Feel free to test and give me feedback on github if you find any issues or potential points of improvement.
      Ok so I just tried that. on my KDE Neon (16.04) system. It requires additional dependencies:

sudo apt-get install python3-feedparser python3-pyqt5

Then I ran the system, it started checking for updates and downloading. However, I think it should ask for the installation location first and not assume it. I git cloned the project under Hex main directory like that:

Source Code

1. [b]asem@jasem-neon[/b]:[b]/evo/Hex[/b]$ ls -l
      2. total 41276
      3. drwxr-xr-x 6 jasem jasem 4096 Jan 10 04:01 [b]AssetBundles[/b]
      4. -rw-r--r-- 1 jasem jasem 633 Dec 27 00:47 config.ini
      5. drwxr-xr-x 3 jasem jasem 4096 Dec 19 21:57 [b]Data[/b]
      6. drwxr-xr-x 7 jasem jasem 4096 Jan 10 03:12 [b]Hex_Data[/b]
      7. drwxrwxr-x 3 jasem jasem 4096 Jan 15 08:26 [b]hex-linux-launcher[/b]
      8. -rw-rw-r-- 1 jasem jasem 10526720 Jan 15 09:26 [b]hex.tar.gz[/b]
      9. -rwxr-xr-x 1 jasem jasem 31718700 Jul 4 2017 [b]Hex.x86[/b]
      10. -rw-rw-r-- 1 jasem jasem 0 Jan 15 00:20 player.ini

So I explicitly specified the install directory as /evo/Hex and then it started downloading. However, after the download is complete, it crashed:

Source Code

1. Traceback (most recent call last):
      2. File "./hex-linux-launcher", line 368, in playButtonClick
      3. self.download()
      4. File "./hex-linux-launcher", line 428, in download
      5. urllib.request.urlretrieve(url, self.getDownloadDir(), reporthook)
      6. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/urllib/request.py", line 217, in urlretrieve
      7. block = fp.read(bs)
      8. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/http/client.py", line 448, in read
      9. n = self.readinto(b)
      10. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/http/client.py", line 488, in readinto
      11. n = self.fp.readinto(b)
      12. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/socket.py", line 575, in readinto
      13. return self._sock.recv_into(b)
      14. KeyboardInterrupt
      15. Aborted (core dumped)
      Display All

so now I again ran it and explicitly set the download location to /evo/Hex and then it started downloading to that directory.
    • Display Spoiler

The python based patcher and launcher for Hex on Linux is now fully functional:
      github.com/oleerik/hex-linux-launcher
      Feel free to test and give me feedback on github if you find any issues or potential points of improvement.
      Ok so I just tried that. on my KDE Neon (16.04) system. It requires additional dependencies:
      sudo apt-get install python3-feedparser python3-pyqt5
      Then I ran the system, it started checking for updates and downloading. However, I think it should ask for the installation location first and not assume it. I git cloned the project under Hex main directory like that:

Source Code

1. [b]asem@jasem-neon[/b]:[b]/evo/Hex[/b]$ ls -l
      2. total 41276
      3. drwxr-xr-x 6 jasem jasem 4096 Jan 10 04:01 [b]AssetBundles[/b]
      4. -rw-r--r-- 1 jasem jasem 633 Dec 27 00:47 config.ini
      5. drwxr-xr-x 3 jasem jasem 4096 Dec 19 21:57 [b]Data[/b]
      6. drwxr-xr-x 7 jasem jasem 4096 Jan 10 03:12 [b]Hex_Data[/b]
      7. drwxrwxr-x 3 jasem jasem 4096 Jan 15 08:26 [b]hex-linux-launcher[/b]
      8. -rw-rw-r-- 1 jasem jasem 10526720 Jan 15 09:26 [b]hex.tar.gz[/b]
      9. -rwxr-xr-x 1 jasem jasem 31718700 Jul 4 2017 [b]Hex.x86[/b]
      10. -rw-rw-r-- 1 jasem jasem 0 Jan 15 00:20 player.ini
      So I explicitly specified the install directory as /evo/Hex and then it started downloading. However, after the download is complete, it crashed:

Source Code

1. Traceback (most recent call last):
      2. File "./hex-linux-launcher", line 368, in playButtonClick
      3. self.download()
      4. File "./hex-linux-launcher", line 428, in download
      5. urllib.request.urlretrieve(url, self.getDownloadDir(), reporthook)
      6. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/urllib/request.py", line 217, in urlretrieve
      7. block = fp.read(bs)
      8. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/http/client.py", line 448, in read
      9. n = self.readinto(b)
      10. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/http/client.py", line 488, in readinto
      11. n = self.fp.readinto(b)
      12. File "/usr/lib/python3.5/socket.py", line 575, in readinto
      13. return self._sock.recv_into(b)
      14. KeyboardInterrupt
      15. Aborted (core dumped)
      Display All
      so now I again ran it and explicitly set the download location to /evo/Hex and then it started downloading to that directory.

Hm, I could add a "first start" screen. But I feel like using the options button in the bottom right to set download and install directory is rather clear?
      Would having that menu clearer from the start be a decent solution?

EDIT: You also helped me realize where another bug was. Thank you.

EDIT2: The issue you experienced is now fixed. Sorry about that one.

EDIT3: I'll just make it pop-up the install location picker if one isn't explicitly set.

EDIT5: Done, it has now stopped assuming. Please git pull and remove ~/.config/fosspill/hex-linux-patcher.conf if you want to see the "first-time setup" :)

The post was edited 6 times, last by noxcat ().

• Fextina wrote:

Ok I hit a snag now where I cannot play the game. I got stuck again at the "Attack Phase".. so I Alt+F4 and restarted. Then it presented a "Reconnect" dialog with "Cancel" and "Confirm" buttons but I cannot click them. I pretty much clicked all the buttons on my keyboard, tried to tab --> enter --> space ... no result. Actually enter opens the chat window, but I can't even read anything there.

A little tip about this in KDE. What I did was create a window rule that forces it fullscreen (in-game settings are still set to windowed) This way you get the fullscreen experience without the unity bug!

Source Code: hex.kwinrule

1. [Window settings for hex.x86]
      2. Description=Window settings for hex.x86
      3. clientmachine=pwd
      4. clientmachinematch=0
      5. fullscreen=true
      6. fullscreenrule=2
      7. title=Hex
      8. titlematch=1
      9. types=1
      10. wmclass=hex.x86
      11. wmclasscomplete=false
      12. wmclassmatch=1
      Display All
    • Chris wrote:

fallback.hextcg.com/static/live/linux/md5.txt
      fallback.hextcg.com/static/live/linux/version.txt

should have what you're looking for re: the hash and version numbers

I went ahead and flagged

fallback.hextcg.com/static/live/linux/

as an open directory so you can scan it and react that way if you don't want to hardcode any actual files. That'll be the directory for a while.

Chris Woods

Sweet. I had already gotten update checking to work by checking the size and last modified headers of the .tar.gz, but this will make it a bit cleaner!

The post was edited 2 times, last by noxcat ().

• Wait, version.txt is wrong, isn't it? The current version is 1.0.8.045 and not 1.0.8.052?

A bit more detail.
      md5.txt and hex.tar.gz are both corresponding to version 1.0.8.045 (as seen in the settings menu in-game)

The post was edited 1 time, last by noxcat ().

• I was just about to ask the same. In settings the game shows me 1.0.8.045, while version.txt says it should be 1.8.0.52 and hex-linux-launcher shows browser links to 1.0.8.49.

Btw, noxcat, could you please hardcode the font color in hex-linux-launcher? Due to a dark window manager theme the default font color I have is dark/black which makes some things barely readable in hex-linux-launcher: imgur.com/a/4tTif

Thanks again for all the work you guys are doing!