Winner is the Judge - Nov 21 - Nov 28

• Sorry I didn't get around to the judging yesterday. I was too busy streaming all day... but today. Today we'll get this judging done. Thanks for entering everyone! :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Alright, let's do this judging thing. :)

Zyblen wrote:

Bring to Life, Seed the Future
      Rare action
      Transform your actions in all zones to creatures of the same shards and cost and transform your creatures in all zones to actions of the same shards and cost.
      This is a crazy gambit. Like... pure insanity. I feel as though this card is too weak as is - if it were quick, you could play it and end of opponent's turn to get a full turn to 'recover' from it? Or maybe "For each troop that is in play that is transformed this way, gain 2/0" or something... just something to make up for the fact that you're playing a basic action that wipes your board but also costs a bunch of resources lol

But I love the concept of the card. This whole 'massive switch' thing... pretty crazy. Great idea, and would be a very interesting card to see in Hex, even if the anti-random crowd would probably throw a fit.

I'm just not entirely sure how transforming all of your actions into random troops before you've played them would be likely to make you love action heavy decks... why not just play a bunch of random sapphire troops in stead?

Olfff wrote:

4 cost double diamond

Rare constant

While the opposing champion controls one or more unique troops, at the start of each turn, verdict for each unique troop he controls.
      This is a very interest card idea, I just feel like it doesn't have a place in any deck. Even in constructed, unique troops aren't that common... that being said, it is a great thematic fit, since the Twilight Host don't tend to have unique cards so far. That may change, but so far.

Same question here... how would this make you love verdict decks? What does this do to the verdict mechanic to make you enjoy it if you didn't enjoy it before?

Arcanyx wrote:

Sophro's Clock
      Constant

If a card would randomly transform, instead, if possible, it transforms into a random card from your reserves that meets the same criteria.
      This is an amazing way to make use of 'reserves', and adds some crazy deck challenges to the game. It also does a great job of making the random transformation archetype open to people who prefer things to be a bit more predictable. Simple, succinct, and elegant. Love this card, even if I'd never use it myself 'cause we all know I love me some rng.

Kaizor wrote:

Snip for YETI space
      So your logic to making Yetis fun is to give them more Yetis? Okay, I do love me some yetis. Not sure this card would get someone who hates yetis to enjoy them, honestly... but I definitely do love the concept of enriching the yeti cycle so that pure ruby aggro can be about something other than raw burn. FEEL THE YETI!

Qiemosi wrote:

Snip for space
      Not going to tackle each card individually, but most of these simply seem to be ways to make certain cards stronger. It sounds to me like you already like these cards, just want them to be playable... which is great but not the goal of the challenge.

I do quite like the Pot of Delicious food though. It's basically a 1/1 for 1 every turn. Chump blockers are awesome. Interestingly, the way it's worded it gives a troop on your opponent's turn too, even if you don't have a resource to play.

Firellius wrote:

Glenrift Assault
      Constant
      Once per turn: When a troop you control attacks, summon a random troop with cost equal to the number of attacking troops. Target opposing champion gains health equal to the number of attacking troops.
      This is a really clever card. I love tying it to the Pack, since it makes sense thematically. This is a card that would be really interesting to build around... imagine this with some wild lifegain cards? I can see how this would make playing a troop heavy r/w deck interesting for someone who doesn't just want to rush... but I suspect it would simply prove too weak overall.

invinible wrote:

Name: Immoral Soul
      Cost: 1
      Threshold Requirement:
      Type: Troop - Earthling Commander
      Faction: Offset
      Rarity: Legendary
      Ability: This gets a random boon each time the cost of a card in your hand is lowered while this is in any of your zones.
      1 /1
      This is an interesting card. Pretty basic 1/1 for 1... unless you have the synergy cards. The issue is that since it requires 5-shard thresholds, it's not playable early enough to really benefit from the cost reduction effects, and as a 1/1 it doesn't have any real impact that late - even if it were a 1/1 swftstrike lethal, it'd still only at best be a decent blocker.

Cost reduction is usually in sapphire... so if this were in sapphire specifically, and it had some secondary effect in addition to getting the boons... then I could totally see it changing the 'cost reduction' archetype. It just feels like it has too many penalties and not enough gain. But definitely an interesting idea overall.

Shylba wrote:

Guided Rout
      Constant
      At the end of your turn, if an opposing champion took combat damage this turn, create a common portal and put in into your hand. If the damaged opposing champion is below half their starting health, create an uncommon portal instead.
      Fascinating. I quite like this card. It does exactly what you set out to do - add variance to beat down. The only concern I see is that if a beat down deck is able to beat down on turn 4, I don't see any reason they'd play this card. Realistically, if they've been beating down unopposed to turn 4... they're probably on the verge of winning...

I think the cost gets in the way of the card doing what it is meant to do. That all being said, I feel like I'd try to shoehorn that deck into every ruby deck I built, just because portals are fun.

Shylba wrote:

Aoskar, Unmaker
      Unique Troop - Entity
      2/2
      Deploy - Cards get Portal.
      At the start of each champions' turn, that champion returns the card of their choice to their hand.
      I love this card. Punishes both players equally, but as a slower deck naturally, the player of this card is less concerned with that component. Feels like this would be the type of card that would find a home in decks built around deploy effects more than anything else... I can only imagine this with buccaneer. Ugh that'd be painful to deal with. Replicator Gambit fun too...

I feel like this card would mostly appeal to people who already like control though. It's, at its core, a pure control card. I don't know if it would change the archetype enough to make someone who dislikes control be interested in it.

faceremover wrote:

Touch of Chaos
      Constant - Chaostouched
      At the end of your turn, transform your lowest cost chaostouched card into a random chaostouched artifact, troop, or constant.
      I feel like all this would do is make chaostouched cards less synergistic. It does make chaostouched more chaotic though, so it certainly alters the archetype. It's hard to assess how this card would go... but it's an interesting design for certain.

nqumyf wrote:

Order of the Milky Eye:

Constant
      Rare

3, Discard a card: Destroy target troop.
      Much like Qiemosi's cards, this feels like a way to make the archetype simply stronger. Turning any card into quick speed removal seems really strong. I'm not sure I really understand the problem it's trying to solve. Maybe it's just me being blind here and it's super obvious to everyone else.

AxelDWater wrote:

3 - Broski's Puff

QUICK ACTION - Legendary

If this is in your hand, when an opposing champion plays a quick action, you may play this for free.
      Interrupt target card on the chain. Transform it into a random quick action that you meet the threshold requirements to play and put it into your hand.
      Wow. That card. a 3 cost target-agnostic interrupt that steals the card... and can be played for free when any quick action is played. That is super powerful.

I think you're stretching the meaning of the word 'archetype' here though ;)

That being said, I do love the design of the card overall.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• This was an extremely hard call... there were a lot of great entries, and two that were in very strong contention for the grand prize. Sadly, there can only be one... and our grand prize winner is......

Grand Prize: Firellius! The more I look at the pack healing concept, the more I like it. It's such a silly card and I think it'd be a ton of fun to use.

Runner-up: Arcanyx - Sophro's Clock was such an elegant example of what I was looking for in this contest, and I really love it.

Creativity Prize: Zyblen - that is a weird card.

Funniest Entry: Qiemosi's Pot of Delicious Food - because it's food and it brings the goblins to the yard.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

• Just to answer your question about how a card could make me love a mechanic i don't, for me it's simply by being very flavorful.

I love stuff that has a clearly themed identity, and when the lore is transcripted mechanically. In the first set of the game, I did'nt like shin'hares that much.

When set 2 released with monsuun lore text talking about the great houses of the shin'hare empire, the cycle, and the addition of tunneling which is a great flavor win for ambushing ninja rabbits, I simply liked them better and this made me try a few decks.

I don't like verdict mechanically, but the Twillight Host is a great and flavorful faction. Getting more cards going this way would be a way for me to enjoy playing this archetype in pve/casual games ( edh, someday ) .
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Olfff wrote:

I don't like verdict mechanically, but the Twillight Host is a great and flavorful faction. Getting more cards going this way would be a way for me to enjoy playing this archetype in pve/casual games
      Makes sense. Thanks for elaborating. :)

• Eraia wrote:

This was an extremely hard call... there were a lot of great entries, and two that were in very strong contention for the grand prize. Sadly, there can only be one... and our grand prize winner is......

Grand Prize: Firellius! The more I look at the pack healing concept, the more I like it. It's such a silly card and I think it'd be a ton of fun to use.

Runner-up: Arcanyx - Sophro's Clock was such an elegant example of what I was looking for in this contest, and I really love it.

Creativity Prize: Zyblen - that is a weird card.

Funniest Entry: Qiemosi's Pot of Delicious Food - because it's food and it brings the goblins to the yard.
      Quoting my own post so it doesn't getl ost in the shuffle.

Congratulations @Firellius as well as @Arcanyx, @Zyblen, and @Qiemosi

I look forward to your contest Firellius. :)

• Kaizor wrote:

y u no liek yetis? :(

No, jk :D Gratz to all winners :thumbup:
      Yetis ALMOST won the funny prize... just too much good stuff!

Edit: Just as a side note - prizes have NOT been sent yet. I've been crazy busy this week. I will try to get to it on Saturday after I get home from work... and I'll update this post when they've been sent.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

• eh.. thank(?) though i wasn't trying to be funny... the goblin card was actually design for gront's gift. with equipment you could exhaust three goblin and use the card's ability for free...

it is true that i like those card, but i also hate them. because i can't find any use for them.. they usually turn a winning game into a losing game..... tried very hard to build several deck with them, but so far none of them work.