Friday Update! 11.17.17

• Friday Update! 11.17.17

Hey its FRIDAY!!!!! FRIDAY with with a NEW SET kicker!!!! the best sorts of FRIDAY! I will now say NEW SET FRIDAY 10 times to really drive home my excitement!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! NEW SET FRIDAY!!! hooray for copy/paste! I did say it out loud so it still counts!!!

Well its not only NEW SET FRIDAY!!! its also FRIDAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING WHEN WE ARE OFF ON THANKSGIVING...FRIDAY at HEX HQ! ya know... like EVERY FRIDAY! and on this glorious FRIDAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING WHEN WE ARE OFF ON THANKSGIVING...FRIDAY we take a moment to explore the relationship HEX employees have with this terrible holiday... lets pick a HEX employee at random, I don't know who.... how about JARED perfect! and totally random.

Cory: Hey Jared tell me your best Thanksgiving story

Jared: OK! ...when I was a small child my father brought home a large LIVE turkey several weeks before thanksgiving, his plan was to fatten up the bird and butcher it himself so we would have the freshest possible turkey for dinner. Unbeknownst to my parents I spent everyday after school with that turkey, I made a real connection, I even named him... Jared Jr. it felt appropriate as my paternal instincts had kicked in and I totally believed I was that birds dad. So Thanksgiving was coming soon and I knew what that meant for Jared Jr... frantically I researched Thanksgiving traditions in an effort to save my bird son... was there some ancient right I could invoke to take turkey off the menu? I wasn't the President of the United States so a pardon wouldn't be possible... then I found it! THERE WAS A SOLUTION! There could be life after Thanksgiving for Jared Jr.!! The big day came and with it the sweet savory smells of moms delicious dinner, mashed potatoes, candied yams, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie... and of course a huge juicy turkey. We really enjoyed that dinner, the family smiled and laughed and sucked down succulent turkey meat slathered in gravy. I can admit now that I did enjoy Jared Jr. ...he was supremely delicious and our special connection seemed to add a texture to the feast I had not experienced in my young life. It was only after the feast that my plan came back into focus... fighting back the weariness brought on by Tryptophan (the turkeys only natural defense mechanism) I dug into the remains of Jared Jr. and retrieved his salvation... THE WISHBONE! My dad chuckled as he watched me delicately clean the flesh from the bone and prepare it for the time honored holiday tradition, the magical breaking of THE WISHBONE.... yes that was my plan... I KNEW my bird son would be back in my arms any moment!

...well I'm sure I don't have to tell you how this story ended, of course there was no resurrection, no tearful reunion with Jared Jr. ...just some slight indigestion and week worth of Jared Jr. sandwiches

BUT, to this day I still wear that wishbone around my neck... to keep Jared Jr. in my thoughts... a bitter (yet savory) reminder of how unfair life can be....

Cory: HOLY SHIT that was dark... yet compelling thank you for sharing... not sure why the ritual of the Wishbone didn't work, probably because you don't believe in the patron saint of Thanksgiving... the cruel Spanish necromancer Christoper Columbus, director of the first HARRY POTTER FILM! MAGIC!!!

SO... I want to address the turkey in the room ...the way the launch of Dead of Winter was communicated
      I spent some time obsessing ... I mean READING the forum thread about it, so let me chime in
      we had three options for how to handle this
      1. We give you a date and if we miss it we come back to you over and over moving it out until we are actually able to hit it... usually this would also have almost no notice as once its ready we launch it.
      2. We don't say anything other than (SOON) and when its ready we launch it as soon as humanly possible.
      3. We don't say anything other than (SOON), then when the patch is ready we HOLD it, announce a date in the future and launch then...

each has its upside and down side... lets go thru them
      1. Technically we are being totally transparent and keeping you up to date, if you will remember this was my preferred method BUT my mix of optimism and honesty seemed to get peoples hopes up and then let them down a bit more than they where comfortable with... in short we had a ton of negative feedback and it was deemed "unprofessional" by the community... so we ditched this method
      2. You don't have to be disappointed by a slipped date, and you get the product AS SOON as its ready. Down side is you don't have notice other than then the content the indicates the launch is very near (full spoiler is the big one), clearly hard to plan around (effects different players to different degrees)
      3. No slipped dates and you get notice about when the launch is going to happen, of course the downside is you may have to wait for content you could have had sooner.

as you can see each has upside and downside, in the end I made a choice about which of these I thought would best serve the largest number of players, here are the other factors I weighed...
      - If we didn't bust ass and get it out today we would miss the weekend and instead launch in the middle of the week (not optimal to enjoy the launch)
      - Because of the Holiday we will be missing key people next week, SOOOO if we missed Friday, we actually would have to push until AFTER the long Thanksgiving weekend... uh TERRIBLE

In the end missing the long Thanksgiving weekend sort of decided it for me, I just felt more players would be served by getting it out now. I know many people have time off and would love to have the chance to enjoy the content during the break. I realize YOU may be one of the people this decision makes unhappy, and believe me I fucking HATE making anyone unhappy, I got to say its been one of the hardest parts I've had to learn about running a company, you cannot please everyone EVER, and that's not a vague don't kill yourself cuz someone is always going to be unhappy kind of statement... its the literal truth... one persons perfect decision is another persons "ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE" decision. So again sorry if you got blindsided by this, we can do it differently in the future but my guess is there will always be some circumstance I have to factor and make the best choice in the moment... and ultimately it will piss off some percentage of the players (hopefully less than 50%) and we will always try and figure out how to mitigate the "feel bad" in the case of DOW we extended the launch celebration to 10 days so even if you didn't have time to jump in at the start you had plenty of time to get in before it ended.

SO... with that out of the way. HOW ABOUT THE UPDATE TO THE UPDATE?
      well, not much to go over actually, we LAUNCHED DEAD OF WINTER... hooraay!

here is the first deck I made as soon as I had cards... not sure if its good or not... probably not

but it IS pretty fun!
      I hope you can (continue) to bear with us as we do the best we can, we are a VERY small team trying to make a VERY big game. I promise we do our best and work very hard to make you happy.
      have a great Thanksgiving, no update from me next week... I will be engorged with Jared Jr. and gravy ...taking the day off

love, Cory

ps. I love hearing your thoughts and feedback, but please don't attack other HEX players, we are after all one family.... and we should all be gathered around the roasted Jared Jr. celebrating the things we are thankful for... me? I'm thankful for each and every one of the amazing people in the HEX community.

except ONE OF YOU, fuck that guy... :P
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

we had three options for how to handle this
      There's a fourth option:

When you get to the point of having Go/No-Go meetings, start keeping us posted on what the remaining release blocking issues are. Doesn't have to be super detailed (though detail is always appreciated), just something like "we're held up on PS4 certification", "there are a few card bugs that we don't want to release with", or "missing art for 2 cards".

It doesn't make a hard commitment that you then have to renege on (because you haven't actually specified a date, just "we're in release-soon mode"), but it gives us a good sense of how imminent the release is.

I appreciate that there's a lot of factors to balance when making these decisions, but telegraphing future events is something Hex really has to improve on. Not every player can spend 2 hours a day checking the forums and reading the tea leaves.
    • Thanks for lauching it with a week long release event.

And for making bury great again.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Fun fact: even though he sailed under Spanish flag, Colombus was actually italian (or so I was taught at school. I wasn't there back then ^_^).

Other than that, this set is talking to me. Like really, it's maddening, saying things like "I've got an itch to scratch...draft-a, draft-a, draft-a draft me".

Ps: no, I've not been partying with Ha'pie, I swear.
      I will take responsibility for what I have done,” Dalinar whispered. “If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.”
    • *Beep Boop*

Though personally nonplussed I feel like you would have greatly mitigated peoples complaints if you had announced, "We are working on a couple final issues and will launch as soon as humanly possible. The day after the build is completed we will be patching. Please be aware you will not have a great deal of notice before the patch."

You can certainly set expectations without giving concrete dates or deadlines.

Essentially this is where you went wrong, "2. You don't have to be disappointed by a slipped date, and you get the product AS SOON as its ready. Down side is you don't have notice other than then the content the indicates the launch is very near (full spoiler is the big one), clearly hard to plan around (effects different players to different degrees)"

This IS the best solution. It was just not implemented in the best way. YOU viewed it as, "We put out the full spoiler. Now they know it's any day now." WE viewed it a hundred different ways because there are thousands of us all with different perspectives. Part of implementing this choice needed to be providing the players with sufficient information such that those perspectives were largely aligned and those who were not aligned could be pointed to the information after the fact and told, "you should have read this."

There would of course been people who were unhappy because certain times are better for certain people. But at least those complaints are hard to ascribe to you rather than just a quirk of timing.

Anyway, excited about the new set. Happy to be playing it this weekend. Just trying to provide some helpful feedback.
    • KingGabriel wrote:

Olfff wrote:

Thanks for lauching it with a week long release event.

And for making bury great again.
      Bury was always great. I miss my wacky human tribal set 2 bury+24/24 with flight deck...

Yeah bury was good in the first block, and then Wintermoon killed bury when set 3 hit, also the many crypt interactions introduced without efficient crypt hate at the time ( phoenix/kagu/rancor), then over aggressive ruby strats while the archetype was'nt given as much to properly play its game plan with both chronic and extinction rotating.

Bury was great, then it was near unplayable, and now it is great again.

Edit : I realize that terrormill has been a thing in standard, but it's more a combo deck than a classic mill.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • BroomBot wrote:

*Beep Boop*

Though personally nonplussed I feel like you would have greatly mitigated peoples complaints if you had announced, "We are working on a couple final issues and will launch as soon as humanly possible. The day after the build is completed we will be patching. Please be aware you will not have a great deal of notice before the patch."

You can certainly set expectations without giving concrete dates or deadlines.

Essentially this is where you went wrong, "2. You don't have to be disappointed by a slipped date, and you get the product AS SOON as its ready. Down side is you don't have notice other than then the content the indicates the launch is very near (full spoiler is the big one), clearly hard to plan around (effects different players to different degrees)"

This IS the best solution. It was just not implemented in the best way. YOU viewed it as, "We put out the full spoiler. Now they know it's any day now." WE viewed it a hundred different ways because there are thousands of us all with different perspectives. Part of implementing this choice needed to be providing the players with sufficient information such that those perspectives were largely aligned and those who were not aligned could be pointed to the information after the fact and told, "you should have read this."

There would of course been people who were unhappy because certain times are better for certain people. But at least those complaints are hard to ascribe to you rather than just a quirk of timing.

Anyway, excited about the new set. Happy to be playing it this weekend. Just trying to provide some helpful feedback.
      Well said Broombot. Well said.

The end result is never assume that your customers will understand what you mean by something. Tell them.

Heck, you could've even put a post a week or two back saying "Our current target is mid-november, but we are still ironing out final details" then when the spoiler launched "There are just a few more minor things to clear before release. When we're done, it's going to be sudden though. Be prepared!" Neither of those commit to a specific day, but both give us a realistic expectation that gives you fluidity as well.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

In the end missing the long Thanksgiving weekend sort of decided it for me, I just felt more players would be served by getting it out now. I know many people have time off and would love to have the chance to enjoy the content during the break. I realize YOU may be one of the people this decision makes unhappy, and believe me I fucking HATE making anyone unhappy, I got to say its been one of the hardest parts I've had to learn about running a company, you cannot please everyone EVER, and that's not a vague don't kill yourself cuz someone is always going to be unhappy kind of statement...
      The problem with your line of thinking is that it ignores the crucial detail that there are actually two important dates here.
      1. The date when the new stuff comes out.
      2. The date when the old stuff is removed.

These dates are traditionally the same but they don't have to be. You can remove the old stuff before or after you release the new patch. What's actually upsetting people is mostly the second date. The main problem isn't the lack of warning for the patch; it's the lack of warning for taking of stuff away.

What I would have done is a couple weeks ago announced that Kismet drafts would end yesterday. At the same time, Set 3 and Set 4 would rotate out of the store. Then when that time comes, if the new patch is ready you release it today. If it's not, you still remove the old stuff as scheduled so you've still done what you promised.
    • @BroomBot nailed it there, I think. Hire him for future communications ;)

Seriously though, I'm suuuupppppeeerrr hyped to jump in to set 8, as for once I have a day free upon release. It's Saturday morning in Australia so I have the whole day to enjoy the set (though that sunshine also beckons me) once the servers are up.

Communication was bungled, imo, but could easily have appeased the many different opinions had there been a few statements after the full spoiler was released.
      We knew we were imminent and we knew the US holiday would be a factor, but with no official statements everyone was all kinds of speculation.

Anyway, Cory, your Friday posts are one of the highlights of the week, so please don't stop them.
      So much hype, Set 8! Only thing is I'm 3wins in an Evo and almost am tempted to forfeit just to crack open my set 8 pool!
    • Thanks for the update Cory! I know it must be extremely frustrating for everybody in the office when these issues come up. It's frustrating for us too. As others above have mentioned, I'll throw my insignificant vote in for a "it's ready but we have these 3 issues to clear, could be as soon as an hour or 2 days". It doesn't have to be a hard stop to an exact second, but just something that keeps us in the loop as to what we can reasonably expect.

I can't wait to get home to play tonight, new set looks great!
    • Cory, thank you for letting us know what happened with the ninja release. Please use this as an experience to learn from your mistakes to improve hexent's communication aspect. Also, due to the ninja release without warning, i think it may be fair to re introduce sets 3 and 4 to the shop temporarily for those who wanted to make last minute purchases.
    • Oh look a package of tube socks and oranges. Everything will be O.K. ...

I like planning. I like consistency. I also understand the push and schedule limiting. /awkwardCoryHug Everything will be all right. The oranges only come.... Oh every Friday. Seems Esperidoeidiphobia is now on the menu.

Bright side Dow weekend!
    • As so often when someone lists a list of options one or more options are left out.

Here is at least one more option you could have chosen:

Communicate that your plan is to release this week. Dont give a specific date but a window. Communicate that the full spoiler release means that a set release might be imminent during the next days. You might think that this is directly implied but not everyone thinks that right away. Especialy that's true for people who dont follow the forums or the community talk closely or people who are new to the game. Everything that is implied can also be expressed directly.

Communicate what the last hurdles are. What are the issues that might mean that the set gets delayed. You might think that the reasons dont help the players and that they dont need to know anyways but understanding a situation helps accepting it. We want to understand you. Help us doing so.

Especialy with things leaving the game (the ability to obtain kismet sleeves, set3 set 4 packs) constantly remind folks that it is happening. The closer the date gets the more frequent remember the players.

In general just communicate more. Tell us how the situation looks like. We understand that things can go wrong but explaining a situation helps understanding it and helps not getting upset because of sudden announcements of either a delay or a release.

That being said I personaly dont care much how this went down. I am fine with a short notice release. I do understand though why some people are a little upset. And I do think that the communication in general still needs to step up (and it should be noted that many people have been unsatified with the general communication for years).

Your friday updates are exactly the right step. Keep it up.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().